Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A Song of Ice and Fire | Game of Thrones

So, unless you've been living under a rock, you must know this wonderful series!!

And for my hermit friends, Wikipedia is here to help you...

Spoiler:
    A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels by the American novelist and screenwriter George R. R. Martin. The first volume of the series, A Game of Thrones, was begun in 1991 and first published in 1996. The series has grown from a planned trilogy to seven volumes, the fifth and most recent of which, A Dance with Dragons, took Martin five years to write before its publication in 2011. The sixth novel, The Winds of Winter, is still being written.

The story of A Song of Ice and Fire takes place on the fictional continents Westeros and Essos. The point of view of each chapter in the story is a limited perspective of a range of characters growing from nine, in the first novel, to thirty-one by the fifth. Three main stories interweave: a dynastic war among several families for control of Westeros; the rising threat of the supernatural Others beyond Westeros' northern border; and the ambition of Daenerys Targaryen, the deposed king's exiled daughter, to assume the Iron Throne.

Martin's sources included the Wars of the Roses, and the French historical novels The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon. A Song of Ice and Fire received favorable critique for its diverse portrayal of women and religion, and praise for favoring realism over magic. An assortment of disparate, subjective and sometimes inaccurate points of view confront the reader, and the reader may not safely presume that a favorite character will prevail, or even survive. Violence, sexuality and moral ambiguity frequently arise among a thousand named characters.

How to do guys feel about the new season? I think it looks pretty amazing so far. The settings are getting more and more amazing each year. The cast is great too. I also like that, for the first time, since the TV show is catching up to the books, they are going to make some changes. I really look forward to be surprised.

Have you guys read the books? I know they are pretty huge, but it is really worth it. It is so detailed! And Daenerys so much more of a brat in the books which makes her a way more interesting character.

Finally, who do you think will be sitting on the Iron Throne at the end? My money's on nobody. I think the ultimate result, assuming Westeros isn't wiped out by a White Walker-pocalypse or Daenerys' dragons, will be the dissolution of the realm into separate kingdoms again.

Oh, for my books buddies...

Spoiler:
    R+L=J

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I haven't read the books, but I watch the HBO series pretty religiously. Season 4 has been pretty good, but I still feel it's in the warm-up phase. Nothing really too jaw-dropping has happened, but there's been enough stuff going on to definitely keep the interest high.

Also, House Targaren all the way. Because, well... dragons. That, and Daenerys Targaren is awesome, although it's hard to see her trying to do the right thing only to have it often backfire on her. That's tough.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I started watched the show before reading the books, so now I wait to read each book until after the corresponding show season is over. So I have read book 3, but don't know anything beyond that.

This isn't normally something I would read/watch due to the graphic nature, but the story is quite compelling. I've seen the first two episodes of season four and yeah, so far not much has happened. I was pretty unimpressed by the first episode, but they always need to do a catch up ep at the start of the season, so that was expected. Episode two finally got things moving a bit.

I'm most interested in Arya's storyline and have been for most of it.

As for the end, I think it will either be Dany or Jon on the throne for no real reason. xD
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I haven't read the books, but I watch the HBO series pretty religiously. Season 4 has been pretty good, but I still feel it's in the warm-up phase. Nothing really too jaw-dropping has happened, but there's been enough stuff going on to definitely keep the interest high.

Also, House Targaren all the way. Because, well... dragons. That, and Daenerys Targaren is awesome, although it's hard to see her trying to do the right thing only to have it often backfire on her. That's tough.
    Have you watched the leaked episodes? There is some great stuff coming... [Only now, I have to wait 3 long weeks...]

And while I really like Daenerys, I think she is a bit naive and really inexperienced. With time and perhaps some help
    Spoiler:
    Tyrion
    she will be an good ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I started watched the show before reading the books, so now I wait to read each book until after the corresponding show season is over. So I have read book 3, but don't know anything beyond that.

This isn't normally something I would read/watch due to the graphic nature, but the story is quite compelling. I've seen the first two episodes of season four and yeah, so far not much has happened. I was pretty unimpressed by the first episode, but they always need to do a catch up ep at the start of the season, so that was expected. Episode two finally got things moving a bit.

I'm most interested in Arya's storyline and have been for most of it.

As for the end, I think it will either be Dany or Jon on the throne for no real reason. xD
    Arya has a really interesting storyline. I can't wait to see how it turns out in the TV show. She is one of the characters that has grown the most personality-wise.

Also, the TV show is really toned compare to the books and while I wouldn't recommend the series to a young audience, I think it wouldn't have met so much success without the graphic content.

I love the books and the show.

I am looking forward to Arya's storyline the most, because she rocks. I REALLY want something bad to happen to Littlefinger! I am also interested to see how the dragons turn out for Daenerys.

For the throne, I want Jon Snow to get together with Daenerys and rule the Kingdoms together.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Woo everyone loves Arya! Are there any storylines/characters you guys find boring? I'm not really a fan of the white walker/beyond the wall stuff. I found it kind of boring when Jon was stuck out there and also Bran's story is getting really really weird.

Probably the worst post of the show for me so far was the amount of Theon torture scenes though. I hated that guy but one scene was enough! It was horrible and wasted so much time when there were other characters I wanted to see!
    GCEA

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Brettles View Post
    I love the books and the show.

I am looking forward to Arya's storyline the most, because she rocks. I REALLY want something bad to happen to Littlefinger! I am also interested to see how the dragons turn out for Daenerys.

For the throne, I want Jon Snow to get together with Daenerys and rule the Kingdoms together.
    Spoiler:
    I have a feeling that's exactly what happens, hence why it's called A Song of Fire and Ice. Daenerys resembles the fire, Jon Snow resembles the ice.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21478...eories_p2.html

Scroll down to #1, but yeah, there's a big reason why I wrapped this in spoiler tags!

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken Homura's Avatar
    YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

It's pretty crazy how things relate to each other. There's so much going on with each character that it can get kind of hard to keep everybody's storylines in check. I have to say though Tyrion is probably the most interesting of the characters in the series.
    What is happiness?
    It's being called by someone
    It's being able to call someone
    It's when someone is thinking of you
    But Heaven has none of this
    A lizard girl took pity on God
    So the lizard girl tore God in two and brought a half from Heaven to Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Homura View Post
    I have to say though Tyrion is probably the most interesting of the characters in the series.
    - URPG -

HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THE LATEST EPISODES?

Spoiler:
    I didn't think it was possible, but I hate Ramsay even more than I hated Joffrey. Seriously, he need to be beheaded. I just hope Petyr intend on double-crossing the Boltons and free Sansa. It is so different from the book it even caught me by surprise and I am such a nerd when it comes to GoT... The poor girl...

And Arya's storyline is about to get VERY interesting. I can't wait to see they changed that too...

Stannis is starting to grow on me... He is pretty intelligent and imposes respect. At first, I was supporting Daenerys' claim to the throne, but now I don't know. She just keep loosing control of everything. She really need Tyrion's help ASAP...
    - URPG -