Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    As I have planned so far, it will take place somewhere on Earth in a pre-defined location. Players can create their own locations as appropriate, but there is at least 1 common place for everyone to get the story going.

However, if you are asking about the location of the abandoned railway station, I will leave that for the members to decide. Technically, it doesn't really matter where it is because it can be almost any typical building anywhere though.
    Ascension Drive. Faraway Sands.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Gotcha, I can work with that.

Name: Alex Waters

Appearance: At 21 years of age, Alex stands roughly 6'1" from the ground, and has a fair to tan skin tone. He has brown eyes, brown hair that almost reaches his shoulders while his frame and muscle build is way more on the side of being agile and swift than muscular and burly. He's also slightly underweight, but not to an extreme degree.

For clothing, Alex wears usual rugged street clothing, consisting of dark blue jeans, a frayed leather belt, a gray hoodie over a t-shirt, and worn sneakers. Because Alex never had much money, his clothing isn't in the best of shape. Very often, he has to go through a clothing donation bin to get something he can wear. And at this point, he has essentially no hope of ever being able to afford college, not that he would know what to study anyway.

In terms of traits, Alex may not be a rocket scientist, but he is wise and is very artistic and creative. However, in a tough economy, art and creativity doesn't always pay, and he's learned that the hard way. He also has difficult times holding jobs due to the fact he's often in danger and on the run. But in a fight, Alex relies on wit and speed, and it has kept him alive in plenty of dangerous situations.

Personality: Quiet, creative, and contemplative, Alex never has much money, but he is resourceful and never likes to think of people and things in terms of how much they own or how much they cost. He's the kind of person that would rather be poor and happy than rich but sad, and because of that, he tries to find some use for everything. Meanwhile, he has a strong sense of justice and trying to do the right thing. He hates needless cruelty, senseless waste, and given his history, he has a distinct opposition to gang violence.

A lot of his personality and powers link to his parents and his role with the family florist business. With him constantly being pursued by a rich, powerful, and violent gang called SIGNAL that originally attacked him because of what his brother did, he has had to take some pretty extreme measures on how to keep himself alive, and hopefully one day put an end to SIGNAL. That, in turn, may eventually turn toward putting down other gangs as well. As a result, he's had to focus and develop the powers he has in ways that most others wouldn't expect or foresee from a guy like him.

With the arrival of the social club, Alex has seen it as an opportunity to open himself up to others and get help with his situation. Despite his desire to think he can do it alone, he knows he can't and he needs help. While his powers are unusual and definitely not the kind of thing most would expect from someone who wants to become a fighter, he has found ways to make it effective that his enemies don't often suspect. Since his powers have been pretty much set and it would be seriously counterproductive to try and specialize into something else, he works with them the best way he can.

Background: At a young age, Alex's parents wanted him to take over the family business of a local florist shop called Sun Creations, especially when his older brother, James, showed absolutely no interest in assigning his powers to be flower-related. While James was disobedient and eventually his powers turned toward manipulating machines and warping metal, Alex simply decided learning how to create and control plants, specializing in flowers in particular, was something that was alright with him, since it did give him the chance to be artistic and creative with it and wasn't the kind of power that could destroy something or accidently kill someone like using fire, ice, or electricity. He decided to be respectful to his parents' desires and trained himself on how to specialize in growing the family florist business.

With such a deeply rooted specialization and having started at a really young age, Alex became a master at growing flowers, learning how to grow them in seconds, control them, and even communicate with them, which was a rare thing to accomplish that not even his parents had. As soon as he was twelve years of age, he got more involved with the Sun Creations florist shop and created his own special flower arrangements for weddings, funerals, Valentine's day, and any occasion the shop would get orders for. Customers were definitely very appreciative of his talent, and the business did quite well.

Alex kept experimenting, being able to create flowers that were definitely far too big to sell for any kind of arrangement, but he enjoyed the idea of it and often liked to visit bare fields and turning it all into field bright with colorful flora like it was an empty canvas. He felt there was a sense of accomplishment in taking something that was once ugly, and making it something that someone could admire.

However, things went sour as soon as SIGNAL got involved, and it was mainly because of his brother James. James, having gotten involved with gang violence by joining a gang called SWILL, had killed an enemy gang Lieutenant from SIGNAL by stabbing him to death while using his metal manipulation powers. As a result, to get back at James, SIGNAL went after his family. Alex, now only fifteen years old, barely escaped death when his parents offered him to come along for a car ride. Alex said he simply was feeling tired, and only a minute later, he was horrified when his parents were killed when the car exploded as soon as his father turned the key to the ignition. While James didn't care very much, Alex was distraught and depressed, and it only worsened when his aunt had taken over the family business. In time, SIGNAL struck again, and killed his aunt and set the Sun Creations building burning to the ground, destroying everything.

With little money to his name, Alex simply set off on his own path, swearing he'd try to find a way to turn things around and get payback. Things got ugly when SIGNAL started going after him as well, and Alex got in deep when in order to defend himself, he had used his powers to have one gang member get wrapped in vicious rosebushes, which was just as painful and bloody as getting entangled in moving razor wire. He had figured out to weaponize the flowers he could create by doing that, and there was another instance when an overly hulking SIGNAL gang Lieutenant charged after him, but was quickly entangled in flowering vines that planted their roots into his body and sapped away all his energy. In all their attempts to kill him, SIGNAL found it humiliating to have six of their gang members, including a Lieutenant, get killed because of flowers, something that was always thought to be harmless. SIGNAL made it personal and Alex became an even bigger target than his brother James.

With no money to survive on his own and his life always in danger, Alex tried taking things one step further to keep himself alive. With his powers, he learned how to turn himself into a sentient and humanoid flower, which he found helped amplify his own flower-creating and controlling powers and allowed him to survive on just rainwater and not require shelter. It was useful considering he didn't have much money for food, clothing, and definitely not enough for shelter. He tried various forms before he found one that seemed to work, which surrounded his waist with an array of flower petals while a giant, multi-layered lily flower grew out from his back and a second on out from over his head, like an umbrella. It allowed him to be covered from behind in case someone tried to ambush him and stab him in the back or slit his throat, which wasn't easy now with the flowers covering him from behind. The lily flower bands around his waist, wrists, and forehead are just aesthetic, however, but they add to the deception that he can be underestimated.

As time went on and he usually didn't have enough money to rub two pennies together, he often had to rely on his flower transformation form to give his body sustenance by soaking in rainwater and temporarily turn his feet and toes into roots and take in enough nutrients from the soil. His powers allow him to change to and from this flower form at will, but unless he can find food or money by some other means, he needs to rely on it to keep himself alive.

With the creation of the social club at the abandoned post office, Alex felt there was safety in numbers, and he's been hoping to get help when it comes to taking down SIGNAL. He understands he would need to return the favor by helping others with their own situations, and he's more than ready to do that.

Powers:

Alex's first power is his ability to conjure up flowers in just about any needed quantity, form, and size. He can make a wall of thorns with dense rosebushes, or wrap an enemy in vines or entangling flora to stop them. He's one of the very few that has found a way to weaponize flowers, and because of that, it has become a kind of signature that has completely enraged SIGNAL, turning them into a laughing stock from other gangs that haven't seen the power for themselves. He has also been experimenting using plant toxins as a means to fight back against SIGNAL and anyone else that is trying to kill him or his friends. Given SIGNAL killed his mother, father, aunt, and burned his family business to the ground, Alex sees it as a fantastic and iconic means of revenge.

His second power relates to him being able to transform himself take on a humanoid flower form, which allows him to survive without eating, allows him to heal faster, and it bolsters the plant-manipulation powers he has. It does, however, destroy his clothing in the process. If he creates vast fields of flowers and transforms himself, it also makes him extremely difficult to find for his enemies. It also gives him access to a whole range of attacks and abilities that are very similar to grass-type Pokémon attacks. It does, however, make him susceptible to fire and frost, and he's often wary about using this when in the presence of someone who has those kinds of abilities. In those kinds of cases, he would most likely stay human and be as resourceful as possible, but he's not against using whatever weapons he can find or has on hand to make up for not being able to utilize his full potential.

-----

I know, I write a lot. I liked coming up with this guys powers, background, and making it all come together, so it got a little extra wordy. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Name: Alex Waters

I know, I write a lot. I liked coming up with this guys powers, background, and making it all come together, so it got a little extra wordy. XD
    Accepted. Excellent application, especially with references to other in-world concepts and pokemon itself. Let's just make sure we don't scare Shruikan and other beginners with these long posts ;)

inb4 Winter plays a snow character.

Characters: 3
    Joshua (Josh) Summers [Morzone] | Invisibility; Talking to things
    Antonin "Gearhead" Rostovich [KyngzIndeyen] | Reconstruction; Shielding
    Alex Waters [Neo Emolga] | Flowers; Flower form

Are you in this RP Rayzen? I know you said you weren't using your normal character, but I sort of assumed you were the role of the club's leader since it was your RP. If your not playing, who is going to be the head of the club?

VPP

Lol, while her name is Snow, Rayzen, my intended character is a hemomancer based loosely on a character I play in an MMO.

My dA | My FF.Net Avvie and sig made by me!

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzen View Post
    Accepted. Excellent application, especially with references to other in-world concepts and pokemon itself. Let's just make sure we don't scare Shruikan and other beginners with these long posts ;)
    Thank you!

Yeah, I'll try to keep everything around one page in MS Word or less. If anything ends up going over, I can save it for the next post, but that can't really be done with the RP character profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Lol, while her name is Snow, Rayzen, my intended character is a hemomancer based loosely on a character I play in an MMO.
    I hadn't heard of hemomancers before, but reading up on it... wow. Crazy stuff right there, have fun with it. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    Are you in this RP Rayzen? I know you said you weren't using your normal character, but I sort of assumed you were the role of the club's leader since it was your RP. If your not playing, who is going to be the head of the club?
    No, I am not using my normal character, but I will appear as a cameo NPC. Also, I am not portraying myself as the club's leader. The head of the club will be revealed in the 2nd GM post (1st post is introduction and arrival of your character), but he will just be another NPC that can be described by other players.

Just to give a quick history: Last year, I tried this similar RP as a GM in another forum while playing my own character at sign-up. Problem is, my character masked the inactivity of the other players and the thread soon died relatively quickly. Hence, I am trying to not make that same mistake.

That sounds more like you got a crappy group of RPers rather than a mistake on your part, Rayzen.

Also, Snow's SU should be done today-tomorrow.

My dA | My FF.Net Avvie and sig made by me!

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzen View Post
    Just to give a quick history: Last year, I tried this similar RP as a GM in another forum while playing my own character at sign-up. Problem is, my character masked the inactivity of the other players and the thread soon died relatively quickly. Hence, I am trying to not make that same mistake.
    I agree with Winter, that doesn't sound like it was your fault. You were active, they weren't, plain and simple. If deep inside you want to make a character, go for it. And if you don't really want to RP the club's leader, hey, we could still have an NPC do it.

Only thing I'd recommend is tend to shy away from RP situations where every RPer clings together. Keep interactions going, sure, but split them up if it seems like lots of people are clinging together. Get multiple things going on at the same time. I've seen and had RPs nosedive because too many people were in one place and everyone was waiting on those one or two people that just stopped posting.

Also, any problems if we make additional NPC members of the club with their own special powers, just to make the club seem a little bigger?

Actually, I planned this RP thread in the summer where I had more free time, so if I were to also play my own character now, you guys would need to mask my inactivity ;)

Yes, you can make additional NPC members with their own powers without needing to use the sign-up sheet. In fact, at any point in the game, you can introduce other non-member NPCs into the storyline as appropriate. It makes my GM job easier as I don't need to think of additional plot twists :P