Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
    I thought about the financial pull this would have. My conclusion is that the profits would instantly go to the upkeep and improvement of PxR's website and forum. Maybe even into the promotion of the site, to bring in more people, and more potential sales of merchandise. It's a potential circle of success. People want something fresh, and something cool that they can wear on their bodies. That's where the real challenge lies in selling graphic tees and merchandise. This directly affects the sales of the merchandise as well. I've had way too much time to learn and discover multiple aspects of this venture. xD
    It may start out slow is the only thing I would think. As more news for new games get released, events, and of course, artist fan art would all change over time. It would also have low sales at time, but I'd be one to support it if it happened. I may not be an artist or relatively good at drawing like...at ALL, but I'm one that's always thinking up ideas for things.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

I'd totally buy PXR T-shirts. I'm a sucker for merchandise, because I just want to support everything I love.
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 02-16-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    I'm all for drawing/creating designs for merch and stuff. I dunno how the site works, but I like to learn new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    I'm all for drawing/creating designs for merch and stuff. I dunno how the site works, but I like to learn new things.
    Actually, you're a name that has popped up a lot in the sporadic conversations that have taken place about this idea. Mostly because of your hand in designing the site and its logo. You're probably the most technically sound designer this board has. I haven't been around recently, so I don't know if any of the other artists are as educated as you are. My first idea, actually, was to put the PxR logo that you designed for the front page, and basically the whole website, on a T-Shirt, and see how that one concept went. As it stands that one T-Shirt could sell enough to invest in some promotional advertising, which could potentially bring more people to PxR in general, as well as more potential sales and support to the merchandise and website as a whole.

It's basically up to @HKim to see where he wants to go with it. I'd be all for helping put it all together, I would just need to acquire permissions to use various artworks, because a lawsuit is definitely something I'm looking to avoid. xD
    Paired with Jessu
    .|.Instagram.|.TiKToK.|.Podcast.|.Buy Stuff.|.Gallery.|.
    ~

Actually, you're a name that has popped up a lot in the sporadic conversations that have taken place about this idea. Mostly because of your hand in designing the site and its logo. You're probably the most technically sound designer this board has. I haven't been around recently, so I don't know if any of the other artists are as educated as you are. My first idea, actually, was to put the PxR logo that you designed for the front page, and basically the whole website, on a T-Shirt, and see how that one concept went. As it stands that one T-Shirt could sell enough to invest in some promotional advertising, which could potentially bring more people to PxR in general, as well as more potential sales and support to the merchandise and website as a whole.

It's basically up to @HKim to see where he wants to go with it. I'd be all for helping put it all together, I would just need to acquire permissions to use various artworks, because a lawsuit is definitely something I'm looking to avoid. xD
    Oh, well looks like I was on board before I even volunteered then. xD I'm sure there's quite a few other artists who would like to help out with this, too. I know Xanthe and Sarah would probably be glad to help, and @Speed-X and @Velocity too, perhaps? While I'm at it, I'll probably want to locate the PXR logo and see if it's still alright, or if it needs to be fixed up a bit. xD /hasbecomeabetterdesigner The logo would actually look pretty cool on a t-shirt, imo.

I'm not a busy person (at all), but that sounds like a win-win situation! And if not, well there isn't much to lose! I say we do it.

Aha, yeah. Well as long as we don't use official artwork in our designs, and have the artist's permission (I suggest in writing cause you never know), I'd say we're pretty much fine. We'll need like, a Terms & Conditions written somewhere. Not that anyone really reads them, but it's good to have.

The down side, I'm pretty sure we can't use the term "Pokémon" on anything written, unless we get permission to do so, because right now, there's no copyright infringement being done by PxR, Because we aren't trying to make profit on the word. A pokeball that is entirely blue, or red, or green probably won't be counted as a pokeball, because we aren't using an exact image. Copyright is tricky business, though. One would actually have to look through Pokemon/Game Freak's Copyright policies to see what we can and can't do. I say this because people create images of Pokemon all the time and sell them on t-shirts. But I think it's because it's their own unique artwork and not official art, they can do that without acquired permissions. However none of them have used the word Pokémon on their designs or merchandise. So I think if we only use the logo and something like PxR, as opposed to Pokemon Crossroads written out, we should be okay.

I'd also be a contributing artist when I actually get around to getting a new PC. My current PC actually died during the move and I can't use it anymore. That should happen sometime in the next month. Of course, I'll have my own clothing line to work on, as well. I'll have to do a juggling act. Because there's only one worthwhile design on it, so I need to come up with more.
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

The down side, I'm pretty sure we can't use the term "Pokémon" on anything written, unless we get permission to do so, because right now, there's no copyright infringement being done by PxR, Because we aren't trying to make profit on the word. A pokeball that is entirely blue, or red, or green probably won't be counted as a pokeball, because we aren't using an exact image. Copyright is tricky business, though. One would actually have to look through Pokemon/Game Freak's Copyright policies to see what we can and can't do. I say this because people create images of Pokemon all the time and sell them on t-shirts. But I think it's because it's their own unique artwork and not official art, they can do that without acquired permissions. However none of them have used the word Pokémon on their designs or merchandise. So I think if we only use the logo and something like PxR, as opposed to Pokemon Crossroads written out, we should be okay.

I'd also be a contributing artist when I actually get around to getting a new PC. My current PC actually died during the move and I can't use it anymore. That should happen sometime in the next month. Of course, I'll have my own clothing line to work on, as well. I'll have to do a juggling act. Because there's only one worthwhile design on it, so I need to come up with more.
    That should be fine, as long as the artwork is our own. Just no text that sits on copyright infringement, basically. But who needs text, anyway, when you have pretty imagery. xD The logo will be fine, as well. Think about it, there are a LOT of games out there similar to Pokemon (I'm referring to apps) and they have more of a chance to be sued than we are.

I have actually seen a fair few t-shirt designs with Pokemon related text on them, but I do suggest we try and avoid that route. Copyright is a very touchy subject. I learned in art that 'appropriation' is fine, although the subject has to be changed enough that it avoids any issues. If we're selling our own art, that's fine. However we can't make a profit by adding trademarked text.

If we were to say, create a Charmander design with the word 'Ember!" on it, though, that would be fair game. The word 'ember' itself isn't trademarked at all - it's just a regular word.

---

http://kirawra.deviantart.com/art/Th...nart-212570726

I found that, though. And technically anything making a profit off of fanart is considered illegal. However, it's a really grey area, since a LOT of people actually do it. *shrugs* It's up to Harry if he wants to or not. :3

Senior Administrator

Who would be in charge of this and would I be under any financial obligations if things don't pan out?

Administrator

Well it's not just that. They've been hitting the copyright edge a lot harder lately too. So almost anything similar would have to be taken with extra caution. Even something similar would need to be looked at carefully. So when anything does get designed it doesn't flat out say "Pokemon" of course.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Quote Originally Posted by HKim View Post
    Who would be in charge of this and would I be under any financial obligations if things don't pan out?
    Financial obligations, I would certainly think not. It doesn't cost anything to create a shop in one of the sites I listed at the beginning of all this. As far as people in charge, Any initial profits I feel would have to go directly to you. So any email and and mailing addresses should probably be yours. Now if this thing REALLY takes off, then of course profits to the contributing artists, because money is always nice. But my plan for myself wasn't to make money, but to help PxR in the best way that I know how to. Which is pretty much selling stuff to people. xD

We would probably need a small team to run the project. Someone with some know how about the navigation of these merchandising sites. I'm a stickler for spreadshirt because it's a lot easier to navigate. Sure, Spreadshirt takes some profit to make the shirts and send em out, but you still get paid a decent chunk per item sold. Like, if you sell a shirt, and you put a number on that shirt over the standard price of Spreadshirt, you get that amount of dollars. I would start small, like 5 or 6 dollars. Make the shirts or what have you affordable. It may be steep, but there's a few bucks you didn't have before towards the site.

Storenvy is a little trickier, from what I understand. Storenvy doesn't cost you anything to sell the merchandise off of their site, however you'd have to pay an actual shirt making output to make the shirts in bulk and then send them to you, so you can sell them that way. Upside to that little tidbit, is that it costs less out of pocket the more you order, and if you sell the merchandise for a little more than you paid for, you can turn out a reasonable profit. Spreadshirt also just sorta plasters your image on a shirt and is like "This is about what it'll look like when you buy it." While with Storenvy you again have to go offsite to create a mock up image (which isn't too insanely difficult.) to advertise on your shop.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Spreadshirt will bring you a little less profit, but they kinda do everything for you, and it's a lot easier. xD

So we'll need a person who can actually be the base of operations. The person where the profits will go to when the clothes and etc. start selling. Which we should just do T-shirts for the time being.

We'll need a person with know how of whichever site you want to go with, OR we can go with both, but that is going to take a bit more work and know how than I have.

We'll need a person with a bit more legal know how on the whole copyright infringement thing. Because I know bits and pieces, but not enough to honestly stop us from getting sued by a big time company like Game Freak.

Finally we'll need artists to contribute art, who are willing to go without getting paid for said artwork until we get this thing kicked off and running smoothly. Which at that stage we'll probably need a little more people on the team. xD

But, yeah, it shouldn't cost you anything if this bombs. If it does bomb, it's literally dead in the water, and there is no harm done to anyone's wallets.
    Paired with Jessu
    ~