Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

That should be fine, as long as the artwork is our own. Just no text that sits on copyright infringement, basically. But who needs text, anyway, when you have pretty imagery. xD The logo will be fine, as well. Think about it, there are a LOT of games out there similar to Pokemon (I'm referring to apps) and they have more of a chance to be sued than we are.

I have actually seen a fair few t-shirt designs with Pokemon related text on them, but I do suggest we try and avoid that route. Copyright is a very touchy subject. I learned in art that 'appropriation' is fine, although the subject has to be changed enough that it avoids any issues. If we're selling our own art, that's fine. However we can't make a profit by adding trademarked text.

If we were to say, create a Charmander design with the word 'Ember!" on it, though, that would be fair game. The word 'ember' itself isn't trademarked at all - it's just a regular word.

---

http://kirawra.deviantart.com/art/Th...nart-212570726

I found that, though. And technically anything making a profit off of fanart is considered illegal. However, it's a really grey area, since a LOT of people actually do it. *shrugs* It's up to Harry if he wants to or not. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Well it's not just that. They've been hitting the copyright edge a lot harder lately too. So almost anything similar would have to be taken with extra caution. Even something similar would need to be looked at carefully. So when anything does get designed it doesn't flat out say "Pokemon" of course.

I know this is a double post, but it's my thread. =P

I think we should shy away from "Pokemon" as the initial selling point, and focus more on the "PxR" aspect. Come up with unique designs that say HEY, WE'RE A POKEMON FORUM, but not actually have anything Pokemon related in it. Tough job, I know. But I think the trio logo that Gemma designed would be an acceptable design. I know that completely goes against what I just said, because there's obvious Pokemon related imagery in the logo, but I'm about 99% certain Game Freak or anyone else can't get us for that. The balls don't resemble any actual official Pokeballs, with exceptions to the red one.

Basically we shouldn't come up with something that looks like a charmander, call it a charmander, and try to sell it. However, like Gemma said, if we come up with something that looks VAGUELY like a charmander, call it ember, and try to sell it, we should be okay.

EDIT: Of course I read that thing Gemma posted after I post.

So, here's what I gather, now. If PxR obtains permissions from Game Freak, probably going to cost one time out of pocket, or they get some permanent percentage of profits earned, or something to that effect. But with those permissions we can see a vast majority of Pokemon related merchandise. We would basically be in a very unwanted partnership with Game Freak, so it's really up to @HKim if we wanted to do something like that.

In my opinion, if we want to sell shirts and merchandise, we should keep to our own original works, and not lean towards Pokemon so heavily. But obviously enough to let people know we're a Pokemon Community. So this would be a challenge, but certainly not the toughest anyone has faced on this forum. xD
    Last edited by XaiakuX; 02-24-2016 at 05:36 AM.
    Paired with Jessu
    .|.Instagram.|.TiKToK.|.Podcast.|.Buy Stuff.|.Gallery.|.
    ~

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    I don't understand how we can promote a forum about Pokemon without anything Pokemon related in it. .-.

If I wanted to sell my original works, I'd make my own business. xD

I don't understand how we can promote a forum about Pokemon without anything Pokemon related in it. .-.

If I wanted to sell my original works, I'd make my own business. xD

Yeah, yeah. I know. x.x

Hmm. Okay. Pokemon clearly has to be a go, here. So as long as we don't use official stuff, or any level of trademark fonts texts or imagery, we should be okay. To the point of not writing out the word Pokemon or typing words in the PoKéMoN font.

By the way, we can totally blame Pokemon for the reason that became a writing style on the internet. That is literally how their logo is. =P

Man, I already have ideas for stuff, I need to write these down before I lose them. My brain sucks.

But yeah, that's what I'm going with. Legally speaking we can't sell fanart of Pokemon. But we can sell imagery which is loosely based on Pokemon. However you want to interpret that is up to you. xD

Let me use an example from an idea I just had. Bear in mind that I absolutely love macabre and horror based things (which is why I enjoyed Until Dawn so much.).

So imagining this on a white T-Shirt: Scizor's head, or the general shape of it. Erase the eyes, replace them with transparent holes that would obviously show the white t-shirt behind it. Age the metal significantly, losing the luster and shine, adding a bit of rust, cracks, scratches, and deep cuts. Then put a shadowy haze around it to make it more ghoulish and/or menacing? It's not really a Scizor anymore is it? Just an empty decayed shell of what once was. I believe this would fly without any legal issue.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend starting out with a design like this, because I don't think parents would let their kids run around with images of dead Pokemon on their chests. This is something I'd reserve for Halloween or something. This was more or less what I think would be on the levels of acceptable. It was an image based on Pokemon, but nothing you would actually see in the anime, manga or games, nor anything Game Freak would likely sell. That's sort of what aim for. Not necessarily, like hey, let's mess it up to where it's unrecognizable. It doesn't need to be horror-based, like my brain likes to do. But alternative, definitely, officially unofficial. I think we can get by with that.

I really hope I'm not being too confusing.
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

Administrator

Well that's another thing. It could be symbols, but it can't be like direct image of Charmander, Pikachu, or some other Pokemon. Somethin similar? Maybe, but it's kinda throw it off if it's another random creature.....hmm.

I could imagine one of something like a PXR where like the "X" sticks through both the P and R. Something like typing with like fire, water, electricity, but I don't know if adding a creature of similar design of what on it. Most definitely no direct "Pokemon" slapped on there.

Sometimes there's ways around it. So all it takes is finding that path

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Well that's another thing. It could be symbols, but it can't be like direct image of Charmander, Pikachu, or some other Pokemon. Somethin similar? Maybe, but it's kinda throw it off if it's another random creature.....hmm.

I could imagine one of something like a PXR where like the "X" sticks through both the P and R. Something like typing with like fire, water, electricity, but I don't know if adding a creature of similar design of what on it. Most definitely no direct "Pokemon" slapped on there.

Sometimes there's ways around it. So all it takes is finding that path

Did I do it right?

But that's actually kinda what I meant. PxR, instead of Pokemon. But still giving off that subtle hint that it's about Pokemon. All the same, it might come down to more obvious measures than combining Pokemon types with various PxR Logos. xD
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

Administrator

Pretty much something like that. You even added like an elemental effect in the spaces between the X which works to an advantage. Yeah it's just going to take some thought on the whole idea along with work from the artists offering a hand in the designs. Sounds like it would be really great though!

The time is upon us...

Well that allows us to work with our logo of PXR (and by logo I mean the actual PXR being a logo), but not a whole lot else. Maybe I'll start with that. xD

I'll see if I can come up with an actual 'PXR' word logo, and perhaps modify the old one a little.

EDIT: I wonder, do the Pokemon OCs from my fan-fic count as a copyright infringement? O:

Pretty much something like that. You even added like an elemental effect in the spaces between the X which works to an advantage. Yeah it's just going to take some thought on the whole idea along with work from the artists offering a hand in the designs. Sounds like it would be really great though!
    Bruh, don't take that image seriously. xD I did that in like 30 seconds with MS Paint.

Well that allows us to work with our logo of PXR (and by logo I mean the actual PXR being a logo), but not a whole lot else. Maybe I'll start with that. xD

I'll see if I can come up with an actual 'PXR' word logo, and perhaps modify the old one a little.

EDIT: I wonder, do the Pokemon OCs from my fan-fic count as a copyright infringement? O:
    Writing out PXR with some shiny effects is easy enough. Unless you plan on going full on elaborate detail with it. Which seems up your alley. Which is totally cool, too! The fancier it is, the better.

OC Pokemon? Are these actual Pokemon with different names, or Pokemon you made up? Fakemon definitely won't get hit with a copyright. Otherwise, a Pikachu with a neat hairstyle and a bandana is still a Pikachu. =P
    Paired with Jessu
    ~

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
    Bruh, don't take that image seriously. xD I did that in like 30 seconds with MS Paint.
    LOL I know, I just meant that was kind of the idea I had, or you hit the idea spot on for what I mentioned. I expected nothing special to just pop right out like with that idea I mentioned.
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 02-25-2016 at 04:44 AM.

The time is upon us...

Quote Originally Posted by XaiakuX View Post
    Writing out PXR with some shiny effects is easy enough. Unless you plan on going full on elaborate detail with it. Which seems up your alley. Which is totally cool, too! The fancier it is, the better.

OC Pokemon? Are these actual Pokemon with different names, or Pokemon you made up? Fakemon definitely won't get hit with a copyright. Otherwise, a Pikachu with a neat hairstyle and a bandana is still a Pikachu. =P
    Hmm, uh, not quite sure yet. xD Although fancy is totally my style so I guess we'll see. Or I could do multiples! PXR minimal, PXR retro, PXR fancy-super-detailed. Lawls.

Nah, nah, not like Fakemon, like actual Pokemon. xD I suppose it was really hoping for too much that my lovely fan-fic characters could get some time in the spotlight. <3 I'll just stick to drawing them then lol. And yeah, but my Pikachu's slick styled hair and bandana are awesome. >.>