Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Neko's Failtastic Art Thread

It's been a while since I closed my last art thread, so I guess I'll make a new one. My stuff is nothing great, but I need to be active again and this will be a good place to start. Just drawn stuff, no pixel art for now. Some stuff is old, some stuff isn't. xD

Pokemon Related:
    Spoiler:

(Click the banner above for full size. Sorta.)

Sunrise/Nightfall Related (My original story that I'm supposed to be working on)
    Spoiler:

Other Stuff / Gifts
    Spoiler:

Nightfall Comic Pages (Only posting since this is a mini-comic right now and not many. I won't post them all here.)
    Spoiler:

PRS Related Stuff
    (For comic pages, go to the comics subforum)
    Spoiler:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Wow Neko! You're amazing! There are SO MANY cool pieces here!

I adore the Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur! Especially the Ivysaur, there's just something about those eyes! <3

I love the effects on the Snivy and the beautiful colours! Your sunsets are beautiful.

I spy a fox! Foxes are awesome!!!

I love the background in the green glowy spirit dragon one! It's so detailed and you get a really good feel for the shape of the environment.

These are all so impressive! :)
    GCEA

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Pardon the really late response. I sorta stopped checking for new responses after a few weeks. xD Haven't done much art lately either, so didn't see your post!

- Thanks. =D I need to finish the bulba line images. I need to get back to regular art in general.
    - I made that Snivy for Speed. I love colorful stuff, so I may have gone a little crazy with that one. xD Sunsets are always fun though.
    - Foxes are indeed awesome. She'll be a character in my upcoming original comic which I've been working on/off for ages now. Haven't officially started it since the previous reboot though.
    - That was a concept art for an RP I was thinking of putting together, but between school, TPK, comic work, etc. I don't think I've got the time for it.

--

Anyway, new arts. Sort of. Some I just haven't posted.

- Commission I did for the SSS UNICEF Charity fundraiser.

- Birthday present for that one horrible person who actually talks to me on a normal basis.

- Concept art of Daruh, one of the important characters of Nightfall. This is how he will appear in the prologue. He changes just a tiny bit post-prologue.

4. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Uwah. *o* You really love your dragons! I love your Sunrise/Nightfall stuff, Neko! It's amazing! I can totally see you've put a lot of effort into all these and your sketches are amazing. I so need to work more on my anatomy and original works. xD;;

May I ask what your original work (Sunrise/Nightfall) is about? O:

@Lunar Latias

Am I hallucinating? Someone posting within a week of my post in one of my threads? Well... time to prepare for the end of the world. =D

--

Anyway- I do love my dragons. =D And my felines. Anatomy is a pain- I'm still pretty awful at it in a lot of situations, but I think I'm getting better. Daruh's anatomy has improved tons, anyway. xD

Sunrise and Nightfall are two stories that I've been working on for many many years. I've attempted to start them both at least once and have rebooted them both because I wasn't happy with them at the time. Sunrise is the written part of the story- the original portion that I started writing all those years ago. Nightfall is the comic prequel that I started when I first began arting (there's a good reason why I restarted it right there. xD) The two stories are back-to-back mostly with a 2-3 time year gap between them. I'm planning on making it so you don't need to read one to understand the other.

They're about... oh dear, where do I even start? Well, I guess setting- they take place in a fantasy world with no humans. All sorts of mythical and non-mythical animals/creatures populate the world. Not very technologically advanced- but they've got cities. And magic. Who needs technology when you've got magic? Anyway- magic is essential to the world as it's in a sense the lifeblood of the planet. Creatures can use one of twelve types of magic that they're born with, but don't necessarily need it to live.

Ohgawd, I'm awful at explaining this. How to explain without spoilers?

Anyway, Nightfall is currently in the process of a massive plot overhaul and such- and I mean massive. So little of this part of the original story remain intact.

I'll start with Sunrise then- easier that way.

Sunrise revolves around an amnesiac Nekomata named 'Neko' (my username comes from her, not the other way around, though that's not her real name). She works as a 'Dark Warrior' for Yugito during a civil war between Alnera (Yugito's forces) and a group of rebels who are (rightfully) not very happy with Yugito's ruling of the kingdom. The story follows her (and others) as she unknowingly re-unites with her sister and begins to question which side of the war she should be fighting for. In the process, they discover there's far more going on behind the scenes that is far bigger than either side realizes.

Nightfall, the prequel, is the events that lead up to the war. I'm still working out a ton of details, but the main cast is going to consist of the Royal Guard of Alnera (pre-war in much happier days) as they face the problem of magic (very) slowly depleting from the world. Not enough for individuals to be unable to use magic- but enough to really screw things up in the environments. Meanwhile, Daruh- a spirit elemental- is trying to prevent a catastrophe foretold in a prophecy he received after a painful encounter with a mysterious creature.

It's a mess right now- it's ALWAYS been a mess, but it's not as bad as it was. I'm horrible at explaining the plot in a summary form- but it feels great to finally be tying everything together in a very planned and organized manner. Right now, I'm focusing on Nightfall (since Sunrise will be effected by any changes) and doing craptons of world building cause the originals didn't have nearly enough of that. History, history, history. I have begun outlining the prologue and doing character concepts though.

@RobinHoude officially became my partner in crime on this project sometime in the last year or so. =D It's been forever of scrapping ideas, re-thinking plots, and building on characters, but it's finally starting to come together. It may not be ready to formally start again anytime soon, but I think the story is in better shape than it's ever been right now. We officially began dumping all info on a site today, actually- cause going through skype logs for previously plotted things was getting difficult. I just wish I could properly explain things. xD

I've got some more concepts hashed out, but they're not clean enough for posting. xD

Edit: Robin says to link to the askblog and my Art blog. Ohdear. -hides face-

Nightfall Stuff: http://nekoyugito.tumblr.com/tagged/Nightfall
    Sunrise Stuff: http://nekoyugito.tumblr.com/tagged/Sunrise
    Asks: http://sunriseasks.tumblr.com/

The asks have a lot of silly nonsense. xD

Now excuse me while I go hide in embarrassment

I'm your biggest fan as you already know <3 I just adore all your artwork Neko! I'd love to see your Sunrise/Nightfall project kick off :'3 Eagerly awaiting! I LOVE YOUR DRAGON DRAWINGS <3 But seriously, you've got a huge art talent and your style is really impressive and very beautiful :'3 I LOVE DARUH! Keep them coming, Neko, and do take a break from time to time. I can't draw art or appreciate to a certain extend, but I know quality work when I see one. You are exceptional! Brilliant art!!

P.s. your backstory on Nightfall/Sunrise reminds of me of Final Fantasy for some reason. I always thought two great countries waging war against each other is pretty much generic, until there's something very dark (at the middle and towards the end of the story). x3
    Paired with the lovable 💕 Kaoru 💕

- I has risen from the ashes of the flames -

xD It's been known to happen sometimes! *settles in to read text wall*

Well if it helps, your anatomy concerning dragons seems fine! I'm sure if I drew them as much as you did I'd be that great, too. Oooh, I see. So kinda like, one is a written story, and the prequel to that is in comic form? That's actually a pretty unique way of going about things. If it were me I'd probably just write both lol.

Indeed, who needs anything when you have magic. XD So you said it's got fantasy races, but did you create all/some of them? Or are you just adapting them? XD It does sound really interesting, though! And I love fantasy stuff.

Wooaaaaaah, that's so intense. xD Hey, if you ever need someone to proofread, or look over stuff (or if you've released anything new!) about the stories, I'd be totally happy to do so! You made Sunrise and Nightfall sound really cool! So I'm looking forward to the revamp, Neko. And I will check out those links! C:

@Lunar Latias
    Whoops- my bad. I'm prone to writing walls of text. xD Inner writer in me does that.

But yeah- dragon anatomy has come from lots and lots of practice. You should have seen how I drew them about a year and a half ago. Much improved since then. xD Sunrise was the first of the two I worked on. I started Nightfall because I had wanted to make a webcomic and decided why not. It was more of a in the moment thing- but I think I'm going to stick with it. xD I'd do both in comic form, but considering how long Sunrise is going to be, that'd probably kill me. I could do Nightfall written, but I do love what making it into a comic allows me to do with the story.

I'm adapting a good number of real animals/mythological creatures, but I've also made a few up along the way- mostly based on existing things but with my own spin on them. Still a lot to do. xD

Well, right now I've got Robin as my main proofreader/helper, but I certainly may look into getting more help in the future. I'm particularly looking for some art help since Nightfall is going to be pretty demanding. Colors are gonna take ages with the style that I'm planning on using. Right now, there's no goal for launch dates or anything. Just pre-production hell that just switched into the next gear of insanity. ='D

@Trainer17

xD Beautiful art? Where? I've no idea what you're talking about. (Thanks so much! xD) I try really hard to make pretty stuff, but it's hard and I still need lots of work. As for Nightfall- no launch date ETA anytime soon- still so much pre-production to get done. I want so badly to jump into production, but I need to force myself to slow down and plan.

And yeah- I don't like straightforward plots. I love misleading nonsense and plot twists. I could never do a normal war- there's always going to be something else going on in the background or some greater goal of one side that the other isn't aware of. It's more interesting. =P Though, the main purpose of the war/true threat won't be revealed until late in Sunrise. So very far ahead from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    @Lunar Latias
    Whoops- my bad. I'm prone to writing walls of text. xD Inner writer in me does that.

But yeah- dragon anatomy has come from lots and lots of practice. You should have seen how I drew them about a year and a half ago. Much improved since then. xD Sunrise was the first of the two I worked on. I started Nightfall because I had wanted to make a webcomic and decided why not. It was more of a in the moment thing- but I think I'm going to stick with it. xD I'd do both in comic form, but considering how long Sunrise is going to be, that'd probably kill me. I could do Nightfall written, but I do love what making it into a comic allows me to do with the story.

I'm adapting a good number of real animals/mythological creatures, but I've also made a few up along the way- mostly based on existing things but with my own spin on them. Still a lot to do. xD

Well, right now I've got Robin as my main proofreader/helper, but I certainly may look into getting more help in the future. I'm particularly looking for some art help since Nightfall is going to be pretty demanding. Colors are gonna take ages with the style that I'm planning on using. Right now, there's no goal for launch dates or anything. Just pre-production hell that just switched into the next gear of insanity. ='D

@Trainer17

xD Beautiful art? Where? I've no idea what you're talking about. (Thanks so much! xD) I try really hard to make pretty stuff, but it's hard and I still need lots of work. As for Nightfall- no launch date ETA anytime soon- still so much pre-production to get done. I want so badly to jump into production, but I need to force myself to slow down and plan.

And yeah- I don't like straightforward plots. I love misleading nonsense and plot twists. I could never do a normal war- there's always going to be something else going on in the background or some greater goal of one side that the other isn't aware of. It's more interesting. =P Though, the main purpose of the war/true threat won't be revealed until late in Sunrise. So very far ahead from now.
    Oh, it's totally cool. I like reading. xD

I'd love to create a web comic myself, but that would be a commitment and I seem to have a lot of trouble with those. My motivation usually dies about halfway through. Sad, really. Comics are great, because they rely a lot more on imagery and expression than words, and can allow you more variation. You can also express what anyone else is doing at a given time without having to write a single word about it. If your story's going to be complex and action packed, it would often be best written as a comic (visual) medium.

Awesome! I'm dabbling with my own creations in an original story I *hope* to publish one day. I really love creating my own creatures, it's so much fun! And you can do just about anything with them! The only thing is that if you end up giving them some kind of power, always make sure you don't go overboard, and balance that power out with a weakness. Can't have an OP creation. xD

Well I sure can't wait! I'll keep on the lookout for your sketches and stuff so I can offer helpful feedback. c:

@Lunar Latias
    Webcomics take a crapton of dedication. It can be hard to keep up with making them since you really want to get to the really good/exciting parts of the story, but the process of making a single page takes several hours. The amount of story you can progress in a written fiction is so much greater than that made in the same time spent on a comic. Comics have their advantages- you don't have to describe anything. You let the images speak for themselves. It's easier to do a fight scene and let the reader see what's happening then saying "He punched. She punched back."

And good luck- I've been working on/off on Nightfall/Sunrise for over 6 years now, I think. Of course, I've rebooted each at least once and have scrapped tons of the original since- but still. Finding just the right way to tell a story will be worth it. Eventually.

Most characters are balanced- a few are markedly stronger than others, but I always find a way to balance it out. Spirit magic stands out as being the most powerful overall, but it's rare and a double-edged sword. The only characters meant to be OP are basically Gods... soooooo. xD

Speaking of Sunrise/Nightfall: Here's a commission done for my partner in crime (one of them- our team is now three people) of Rayne and Hail playing/training. Neither are Nightfall characters, but I used this as an opportunity to test out a style for Nightfall. The style still needs work, but it's a start.

Click the image to open a larger version than the forum allows.

Edit: Estimate time is about 5-6 hours. Still more than I'd like considering this is a lot smaller than the comic page files will be... but we'll see. xD

Here's some WIP screenshots I took for Robin/Lark as I worked. Cause why not

Spoiler:

Robin went offline half-way during work-session #2, so I stopped screencapping stuff. xD

12. This post has been liked by: