No global rule regarding thread revival/duplicate thread creation?

Since I became active here a few months ago, I've been confused about what the grace period—if there is one—is in terms of reviving threads or making threads with the same topics as previous ones. For example: this thread is very similar to this one, with the last response in the latter and the first in the former being posted a little over a month apart.

I know certain boards (such as the art and creative writing boards) have rules on necrobumping. I assume there are no rules about thread revival anywhere the topic is not specified; however, I want to be absolutely certain of this before I make any threads.

If someone could confirm/clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it!

dreamwidth // plurk // tumblr // gallery
    gfx by lucia @ pxr // feat. lily white

2. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

There are no strict rules about reviving threads, as long as the post you make contributes to the topic and the thread is not completely outdated (eg. posting in a "How many new Pokémon will be released in gen 6?" thread.) :)

We are pretty lax since we don't have heaps and heaps of activity to the point where things get messy/buried. Making a new thread on the same topic is fine too. There's no real rule but mods may come and merge threads if they notice two that were posted without much time inbetween.

So yeah, post away. :D We are all pretty chill anyway, so you won't get in trouble for doing something unknowingly.
    @Serena
    GCEA

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Usually, the way the revival rule works is that if the last post is over a month old, it should just be left alone and a new thread should be made if people want to start a fresh new conversation going.

Since this is a smaller community and we don't exactly see a rapid turnover of threads, I think that rule could be more lax in the sense that even if it's an old topic, reviving should be okay if the subject matter is still applicable. For example, reviving a thread about the weather, about work/school, favorite music, and stuff like that will always be applicable, and I think that's okay. Reviving old event threads like WAR stuff or something that happened in the past probably should be left alone.

EDIT: Pokémon Trainer Sarah's EPIC NINJA SKILL has gained a level!

5. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    There are no strict rules about reviving threads, as long as the post you make contributes to the topic and the thread is not completely outdated (eg. posting in a "How many new Pokémon will be released in gen 6?" thread.) :)

We are pretty lax since we don't have heaps and heaps of activity to the point where things get messy/buried. Making a new thread on the same topic is fine too. There's no real rule but mods may come and merge threads if they notice two that were posted without much time inbetween.

So yeah, post away. :D We are all pretty chill anyway, so you won't get in trouble for doing something unknowingly.
    @Serena
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Usually, the way the revival rule works is that if the last post is over a month old, it should just be left alone and a new thread should be made if people want to start a fresh new conversation going.

Since this is a smaller community and we don't exactly see a rapid turnover of threads, I think that rule could be more lax in the sense that even if it's an old topic, reviving should be okay if the subject matter is still applicable. For example, reviving a thread about the weather, about work/school, favorite music, and stuff like that will always be applicable, and I think that's okay. Reviving old event threads like WAR stuff or something that happened in the past probably should be left alone.

EDIT: Pokémon Trainer Sarah's EPIC NINJA SKILL has gained a level!
    Awesome; thanks for confirming~

dreamwidth // plurk // tumblr // gallery
    gfx by lucia @ pxr // feat. lily white