Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Axibians!

Axibians!

Hey everyone! So as of late I've developed a fictional species called "axibians." They're based on most amphibians; mainly salamanders, newts, and frogs. Rays also play a part in their design with their back fins.

You can find the masterlist for all official Axibians right here!

Axibian Biology

Spoiler:

Axibians are strangely cute, amphibious creatures that look somewhat similar to real-life axolotls. There are no two Axibians that are the same: they all vary in appearance depending on how they grow up. The adults are about a foot-and-a-half in height.

When Axibians mate, the female will later lay 1 to 6 eggs (the embryo can die prior to hatching); the hatchlings are referred to as tadpoles. Some undetermined number of months later, they mature into their adolescent forms, called axlets. This is the stage in which they start to go through the biggest changes.
    When Axibians are axlets, they discover their favorite "thing." This "thing" can be any object, plant, animal, favorite food, man-made object...the list goes on! No one knows how exactly this happens, but when they metaphorically attach to a certain object that they are most fond with, their appearance will begin to change based on the object. This "variation" is referred to as an affinity. For instance, you can have an axie that has a strawberry affinity, or something.

Axibians are also slightly influenced by their environment. While rare, axies that live in more arid conditions have drier, tougher skin. Axibians that grow up in more aquatic conditions have slimier and more sensitive skin. Evidently, axibians that grow up in pretty average conditions are...well, average. Their skin is very moist and soft and squishy. >w< Axibians also have small ridge-like teeth in the backs of their jaws to be able to chew, and have little hooks and their hands and feet (akin to geckos) to help them stick onto any surface with ease. Axibians are strictly herbivorous.

They also don't typically mate for life; only staying with their mate until the baby reaches adolescence before they move on. There are always exceptions, however.

Their docile, if not somewhat skittish nature, makes them great pets to keep. They really don't make terrific housepets, though, because they leave wet spots everywhere they go. Their personalities can greatly differ depending on their affinity.

They are also sexually dimorphic, meaning that they have different physical traits based on their sex. This remains constant despite their affinity. These differences include:
    • Males have longer gills than females
    • Females have longer tails than males
    • Male Axibians' back toes are shaped like spurs. They don't seem to serve any additional function, though.
    • Female Axibians' pupils tend to differ slightly from the males. Assuming they have the same affinity, their pupil shape will typically be inverted to that of the males. For instance, if a male has a heart-shaped pupil, a female's pupil will be an upside-down heart.

Babies are not sexually dimorphic. Also, Axibian's back fins become smaller as they mature. Tadpoles are strictly aquatic, obviously; hence why they have such large back fins in comparison to their bodies.

Axlets are about half the size of the adults (8 inches), and tadpoles are half the size of that (4 inches). Don't let the reference sheet fool you, because I did a terrible job with scale there xDD

Terms

But with every good thing, comes a catch.

Disclaimer

As the creator of Axibians, I reserve the right to continue to make and distribute artwork of any Axibian character I create, whether or not it's been sold or not. I will not, however, try to sell the same exact design to multiple people. Anyone is allowed to create and distribute fan art of any character you've bought, so long as they mention the current owner in order to avoid potential confusion.

Rules
    1. Unlike a lot of species owners, I will NOT charge MYO slots for you to make fan characters. If you want to make a fan character, I encourage it! However, it cannot be considered canon until it's passed by me. That way I can make sure if the design fits the overall scheme. Remember that Axibians need to have a stated affinity, and it needs to show physical signs of gills, tail/back fins, and the overall body shape. The first two things are also the two things that tend to be the most variable.

a.) Please, out of respect, do not try to monetize from fan characters of this species. Knockoff and parody species are fine, but they really ought to have something different about them than actual Axibians. Don't just copy-paste EVERYTHING and call it a parody. Change some things up!
    2. It's not required, but I'd greatly appreciate credit for when you use this species, make fan characters, and the like. So long as you don't claim it as your own creation, I'm alright.
    3. I'd love to see fan characters! If you make one, feel free to mention or note me!
    4. I'm not opposed to trading characters / species. So long as you do the following, I'm okay with it:
      ***First and foremost, when you've figured out a deal with the other party, LET. ME. KNOW. WHO. IS. GETTING. THE. CHARACTER! I cannot stress this enough.
      ***Please link them to this page so that they can read and understand the terms and conditions.
    5. Buying commissions of any character(s) of this species you own is totally allowed! However, if you'd like to commission someone to make an Axibian character that belongs to someone else, please ask / pass it by that person first.

Character Changes
    You are allowed to make changes to your character (and keep the character canon) IF...
    • It's still recognizable as an Axibian, and one of the assigned affinity. For instance, you can't make a strawberry Axibian into a pineapple Axibian. Well, correction: you CAN, but the redesign cannot and will not be considered canon. Having a non-canon design means that you can't [officially] breed that Axibian.
    • Please do not change the gender! If done so, they cannot officially breed.
    • Feel free to add mild bodily modifications (scars and the like), accessories, and the like if you wish.
    • "AU" (alternate universe stories, plots, etc.) are totally allowed! The individual character's personality isn't word of law and it can be reinterpreted. Additionally, I haven't added any backstory or history to these guys. So long as you stay within reason, you can make up your own little world for them! Just try to keep most if not all the original biology intact. :>

If you fail to do these, the character will not be considered canon and will be listed as its original design.

Request-an-Axibian!

Before I try to go onto DeviantART and sell character designs, I wanted to do something that I think will be really special for you guys! You guys get to request one of these little ones from me for no charge at all! Think of it as a "thank-you" to everyone on PXR for having such a special place in my heart. <3 I think this will be really fun!

In order to request, I need the following information: the sex and the overall look you want your Axibian to portray. Can be anything, from fictional characters to objects to whatever! Just...make sure to be detailed enough for me to understand what you're wanting and don't purposely make it overly-complicated. Axibian designs are relatively simple, anyhow! :>

YOU MUST HAVE MADE AT LEAST 15 POSTS ON PXR! That way I know you're not joining solely for these things. xD Not sure that anyone would do that, but it never hurts to take precautionary actions!

I can, however, take as many request slots at one time.

Waiting List
    1.) Chakramaster (Sketch)
    75% Complete
    2.) Lunar Latias
    3.) the_lamiest
    4.) -----
    5.) -----
    Etc.

---------

Finished
    1.) Suicune's Fire (Sketch / Final)
    2.) Pokemon Trainer Sarah (Sketch / Final)
    3.) Trainer17 (Sketch / Final)
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 02-23-2016 at 04:40 AM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

A little update. I made a sketch of the hatchling stage of their lifespan, since the current baby doesn't represent tadpoles / strictly-aquatic larvae very well. I may change that one around just a bit to make it more of an adolescent stage.

And good news: finally came up with a name! I did decide to go the route of adding amphibian to the name, but couldn't get anything to work with amphi-. Saw that axolotl are also referred to as axies, so it gave me the idea to use that. Plus these little buggers resemble axolotl pretty strongly anyway xD

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

They're awesome. c: I love the spiky one! It's like a pineapple. :D *reads the fruit thing* OOOHHH, it is a pineapple. And the first is a strawberry. c:

I LOVE THE BEBEHZ. They're adorbs. It almost looks like they have capes. XD So cute. <3
    Last edited by Suicune's Fire; 02-13-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    So cuuuute~ The pineapple one is adorable.

That side view of the axie actually reminds me of a Charmander. The tail fin looks like a flame. Cx

Thank you guys! So I finished coloring and shading the female strawberry variation. I tried to use a thick, colored outline style, painterly-ish shading, and a custom marker-brush to make little blotches to give it some personality. I had a lot of fun doing this! I'm definitely going to do the rest in this style. I'll probably make them bigger, though. :P

------------

6. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Thank you guys! So I finished coloring and shading the female strawberry variation. I tried to use a thick, colored outline style, painterly-ish shading, and a custom marker-brush to make little blotches to give it some personality. I had a lot of fun doing this! I'm definitely going to do the rest in this style. I'll probably make them bigger, though. :P
    Ohmigosh, Speed, that is flipping awesome. :D It's so cute!

I really love the paint style you used as well. And the eyes <3 Now I totally want one, baha.

Maybe I SHOULD just opt to make these things smaller. xD

------------

9. This post has been liked by:

I love it, @Speed-X! :D I don't think you should make them smaller. c: It looks adorable. C: I really love that pineapple one! The colours work really well with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Maybe I SHOULD just opt to make these things smaller. xD
    DON'T MAKE THEM SMALLER.

I love seeing artwork that I can actually look at, and not squint to see. xD The pineapple one is totally my favourite so far. <3 And its expression is so cute.

Nah, I mean like make them more like 500x500 px instead of almost 1000x1000px. xD Closer to the strawberry one.

I figured that doing individualized art for every Axie, including male / female differences would take an uneccessarily long amount of time. I figure I might as well make about three bases, polish up the line art for them, add some base shading and then use those. It'll be a lot more efficient, and consistent. xD Here's what I've got so far for the bases:

Did all sorts of tweaking to that first one...ugh, couldn't really figure something out. Still looks weird.

------------