Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    This came to me while watching.....you guessed it Pokemon. I'll try to describe it as best as possible as I'm not very good at telling things as opposed to just doing them. It does play off of Neo's idea but more of a single person type deal. For those who have watched Pokemon may know about the Pokemon Contests and those who take part are Pokemon Coordinators who compete for ribbons. This would be a lot like that.

Each Coordinator would have a team of no more than 6 Pokemon that they would use for each contest. You could compete in Art, Writing, Role Playing and Showdown. Each contest would last a month and could consist of 2-3 rounds and would last a week to a week and a half. Coordinators would face each other in a 1 on 1. For example:

Neo vs Me in drawing. We would have to use one of our six Pokemon in the drawing somehow and there would most likely be a theme. If Neo wins he would move on and then it could be Neo vs Sarah in Writing and again you would have to use one of your six Pokemon in whatever writing you would do. Round 3 could be the Showdown. Whoever wins would get a badge or a ribbon or whatever we come up with.

And if you earned say 6 ribbons the grand prize could be a feature on the site. Interview or show off your work.

The one thing about having Gyms is that Gyms would come and go and you would have to find people to be Junior Trainers. People could compete one month and take the next one off if they want. With this, you wouldn't have to worry about things coming and going.

It sounded soooooo much better in my head...lol.
    That's kind of an interesting idea. But for a person like me who only does art and writing, and doesn't participate in URPG, Showdown or RP and stuff like that, what happens if each category is different? Essentially I would only have two or three ribbons out of the six total because I won't do the other categories. 3:

I still think Neo's gym idea is cool, somehow. Also I like how Harry mentioned Harry Potter houses. That would work for sorting, but you'd still get the same competitive teams unless we make the events more friendly.

I dont think a major event is whats needed here anymore. What was said in the first post is very true. We are not PE2K. War may have been good while it was happening but afterwords the forum was left almost dead for months after. I am all for events but big ones wont work with how many active members we have right now. I am a fan of maybe two small events that are organized and maybe could work together. I just dont believe its best for the forum to draw all the attention from all the sections and wipe out activity again.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    I dont think a major event is whats needed here anymore. What was said in the first post is very true. We are not PE2K. War may have been good while it was happening but afterwords the forum was left almost dead for months after. I am all for events but big ones wont work with how many active members we have right now. I am a fan of maybe two small events that are organized and maybe could work together. I just dont believe its best for the forum to draw all the attention from all the sections and wipe out activity again.
    I definitely agree WAR needs to go, but I'm not sure if you think the PXR Gym League thing would be too big. My whole intention behind that was to have an event that offered "something for everybody" and adhered to the recommendations that were posted in last year's WAR Discussion threads. Teams would be smaller, people wouldn't be as strained to submit entries, and the mishaps with scoring wouldn't be as controversial. If a challenger wins a gym's badge, it's not like the gym is deleted or is shamed. It's really just for fun and to encourage collectors to try and get them all.

True, last time this Gym League idea was done, it was done on PE2K and it worked well, but I don't know how it would fare on PXR. I figured it was worth a shot and truthfully, it would involve far less planning than WARs do.

I'll try running a poll to see how people feel about the PXR Gym League idea. If it seems most people are interested in it and would be willing to take part in it, we could give it a try and see how it turns out.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I definitely agree WAR needs to go, but I'm not sure if you think the PXR Gym League thing would be too big. My whole intention behind that was to have an event that offered "something for everybody" and adhered to the recommendations that were posted in last year's WAR Discussion threads. Teams would be smaller, people wouldn't be as strained to submit entries, and the mishaps with scoring wouldn't be as controversial. If a challenger wins a gym's badge, it's not like the gym is deleted or is shamed. It's really just for fun and to encourage collectors to try and get them all.

True, last time this Gym League idea was done, it was done on PE2K and it worked well, but I don't know how it would fare on PXR. I figured it was worth a shot and truthfully, it would involve far less planning than WARs do.

I'll try running a poll to see how people feel about the PXR Gym League idea. If it seems most people are interested in it and would be willing to take part in it, we could give it a try and see how it turns out.
    Well since WAR is gone, even something new to test would be worth a try. Something to replace something as big as WAR was would be kind of hard with how activity has dropped right? Even if the event is small, it's something to test and work on as a replacement. Sure it'll have it's kinks, but that'll be something to work on or adjust. Nothing ever goes perfectly on a first attempt to shift to something new. Even with planning it may not go off so easily.

Yeah a poll with a basic description of what the Gym idea is all about sounds great. From what I've read on it, it sounds like it could work, but that's all easier said than done.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The gym league has always been right out of reach from working with the community since I can remember. I like the idea and you know Id love to help planning and setting it up. Or at least contributing to the set up and maybe filling a leader spot. I really need to find out more.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    The gym league has always been right out of reach from working with the community since I can remember. I like the idea and you know Id love to help planning and setting it up. Or at least contributing to the set up and maybe filling a leader spot. I really need to find out more.
    I decided to drop the whole Gym League idea. The poll results were iffy and I felt I would have needed at least six dedicated people to be interested in creating a gym and be the leader. We only had two, self included, and I don't think a two-gym league would have been all that fun. Given, the results did indicate those two gyms would have had the people they needed if the trainers joined one of those two, but still, it's only two gyms.

I think we need to do something else. It's still only March and we have time (before, WAR discussion would only just start in late March, so we're still okay), so I think it's probably better to just keep brainstorming some ideas rather than pursue something that was having iffy results.

I'll admit, at the current moment, I don't really have any other ideas going. The PXR Gym League one was my best one, but let's open up discussion again. Maybe someone will come up with something cool that most people would be happy with. It's definitely still worth a shot.

Senior Administrator

Sorry Neo. It was a good idea. I was thinking you really had something.

I still like the idea of affiliations instead of teams, if we do ultimately return to a more familiar setup. Not sure if that's what we want though.

Another idea I was considering, but have little idea on how to implement is doing some sort of... collaborative thing. Essentially, all the events in the sections would tie into creating something. I'm not speaking of a large art project, but something a bit more RPGish.

Like... remember Sim City? The idea was you'd use your resources to build up parts of the city, then slowly grow it from there. Another idea is to use the sections as ways that our "city" gains resources which the members can use to build it up. Maybe construct a nice tower or upgrade the local gym (why be the 1st gym when you can be the 3rd or 7th?) And it doesn't have to be a city, of course. The original idea was using those points as a way of advancing a "new trainer" from Starter to Champion. The more activity in the sections, the faster the journey or something.

By no means is that idea fleshed out in any way and I'm mostly just throwing stuff out at this point. But that's what we need. Random ideas until one sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I decided to drop the whole Gym League idea. The poll results were iffy and I felt I would have needed at least six dedicated people to be interested in creating a gym and be the leader. We only had two, self included, and I don't think a two-gym league would have been all that fun. Given, the results did indicate those two gyms would have had the people they needed if the trainers joined one of those two, but still, it's only two gyms.

I think we need to do something else. It's still only March and we have time (before, WAR discussion would only just start in late March, so we're still okay), so I think it's probably better to just keep brainstorming some ideas rather than pursue something that was having iffy results.

I'll admit, at the current moment, I don't really have any other ideas going. The PXR Gym League one was my best one, but let's open up discussion again. Maybe someone will come up with something cool that most people would be happy with. It's definitely still worth a shot.
    Im sorry to hear, I have been pretty busy with two jobs and gcea so I couldnt contribute to much the discussion. I will say though in favor of some kind of gym that activity does pick up more towards the summer so it might be best to bring this back up in late april and may to get a more accurate feel if this will work or not. I was curious about a gym leagues based more around challenges within the forum and not battling.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

Why can't we do something like the team magma vs team aqua event? With regards to the new games coming out, we could have like team Lugia vs team Ho oh. Pretty simplistic, but we'd have enough members for just 2 ultimate teams. Power balance wise things will be sorted out and for the lulz last minute drafts would be a pinch for surprise. No one team would have more mods or blue mods or etc over the other.

Create your own logo and vision = one competition

Build and complete your said team = another competition

Warm up with little events before moving in with major ones.

And we could include all events; drawing contests, rp, discussion (not too overpowering but fun and interactive instead), graphics contest, scavenger hunt, caption contest, puzzles and riddles, pokemon trivia, and etc with them revolving around just Lugia and Ho oh.

Having just two teams compete & complete compared to a 5 to 6 team brawls (sometimes not enough people; or having most strong people in one team just takes out the competitive or fun part overall). Distribute members equally via drafts (dice rolls) and leggo!

We need big events (new ones) accustomed to just pxr. Born from pxr. To suit our newer members and old. Bringing back old traditions can be done once in a while to commemorate but if you're talking about for a long run I suggest something new and fresh.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
    Paired with the lovable 💕 Kaoru 💕

- I has risen from the ashes of the flames -

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer17 View Post
    Why can't we do something like the team magma vs team aqua event? With regards to the new games coming out, we could have like team Lugia vs team Ho oh. Pretty simplistic, but we'd have enough members for just 2 ultimate teams. Power balance wise things will be sorted out and for the lulz last minute drafts would be a pinch for surprise. No one team would have more mods or blue mods or etc over the other.
    I actually really like this idea, and there are a lot of ways to create those two teams, such as celebrating the original games with a Team Red and a Team Blue, or we make the event tie into the hype about the new games and make Team Sun and Team Moon (maybe Team Dawn and Team Dusk to be less on the nose, but I digress).

I think that this would be a good way of easing into the idea that Harry had earlier of having larger-scale affiliations instead of just teams, albeit with just two options instead of many for now, plus I think that it would lend a sense of high drama to the event while still casting a large-enough net that it wouldn't feel too cloying. Plus there's something downright traditional in Pokemon about having to choose between a few options whether it's Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan, how to evolve your Gloom, or which version of the game for a given region to play.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.