Why are so many staff members so inactive?

Nothing personal against anyone but I was surprised to see how many staff members haven't logged on for a month or more while some others haven't posted for up to six months.

Is there a reason staff members don't seem to be held to any activity standards? It's understandable that managing a Pokémon forum is just a hobby but there should still be at least some effort made to have a presence and not mysteriously disappear for months at a time. I'm sure a lot of room could be made for other users who would be more active and therefore do more with their rank.

The forum is quiet and could use more participation from the staff side. I'd love to see it grow but the effort needs to come from staff first, not members.

Thanks for reading!
    [ mal llsif bandori ]

2. This post has been liked by:

I've been inactive for quite some time and I've finally came back like 2-3 weeks ago. I'd love to start writing up more stuff but I no longer remember my password. (It was wiped on my old computer). Ray quaaza hasn't returned yet so I'm hoping that Lightning Dash or someone could reset it for me.

Be sure to check my comic weekly! I also have some other ideas for future comics so stay tuned.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Many of the inactive staff members are related to the large scale rpgs. In that case, we don't have jurisdiction and as long as the rpg is running, the head of it can make whoever they want staff. It's the same with the site staff which is handled separately and many of them write flour the site but just aren't active on the forum.

I don't believe there are many inactive forum staff besides a couple which have taken leave. :) The forum is a bit quiet but there's only so much staff can do. Things should pick up a bit in summer! Open to suggestions though :)
    GCEA

5. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    I think the staff are doing a wonderful job. o: And just because the staff are super active, doesn't necessarily mean the forum will start booming again. Believe me, they're trying their best with what they have, and a lot of the regular members are, too.

I have noticed a lot were inactive, but as Sarah said, it's not the site staff - it's the RPG staff.

7. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Seems like the others have already explained everything. It's pretty much what they said. A lot of stuff is done behind the scenes as well. Site upkeep, maintenance, etc. Doesn't mean they have to log in and make a few posts. Sarah tends to make an announcement whenever there's a forum change in some way as well. I understand how you feel though. It's just how some staff are though. Set to a specific task, so they may not constantly be on and making posts and being active as one may think a "staff" member should. There's way more behind those closed curtains than we may think keeping this awesome site running. That's ASB, URPG, Writer, and any other lead staff that helps keep the forums up and running well.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

9. This post has been liked by:

You wouldn't be the only surprised one Sheep. Anywho just to add on with what majority of the real reason being covered already, our staff (most) who are actually doing work don't really interact much on the forums. I mean some you can actually tell clearly (Sarah, Xanthe , Joe) but that doesn't mean the others are doing nothing. It's usually the staff hidden forums or Skype wise, but they're unsung heroes. Some have left tempo (not too sure on this) but we don't expect them to post 24/7 on the forums. You can count on them when shits about to go down though. It's usually a vicious cycle (going missing and then coming back) but usually they do hefty work when needed, so that's that. I can't talk for all staff, but as per your suggestion we are working on ways to bring in new staffers/replace the very inactive ones :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
    Paired with the lovable 💕 Kaoru 💕

- I has risen from the ashes of the flames -

11. This post has been liked by:

I didn't mean to be harsh and am glad this thread wasn't taken badly! [: To be honest I expected to be chewed out a little hahaha.. but I've been trying to be more open about things.

I definitely understand there's more to staff than posting and you have other things to work on behind closed curtains but forum staff (such as moderators and possibly super moderators to an extent?) usually focus on forum engagement and moderation as their primary responsibility. But that's going off of my personal experiences with forums and how ranks tend to be handled.

Thank you again for the responses! I'm really glad everyone is so accepting of feedback.
    [ mal llsif bandori ]

13. This post has been liked by:

Ash K. 

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    I didn't mean to be harsh and am glad this thread wasn't taken badly! [: To be honest I expected to be chewed out a little hahaha.. but I've been trying to be more open about things.

I definitely understand there's more to staff than posting and you have other things to work on behind closed curtains but forum staff (such as moderators and possibly super moderators to an extent?) usually focus on forum engagement and moderation as their primary responsibility. But that's going off of my personal experiences with forums and how ranks tend to be handled.

Thank you again for the responses! I'm really glad everyone is so accepting of feedback.
    Haha, I'm glad you weren't chewed up and spat out either. XD That'd be pretty rude on our part. And, I mean, there have been plenty of times when I've disappeared so I think you're totally entitled to bring it up! Right now we're going through a bit of a cleanup, which includes 'hiring' more moderators! 8D So that will help with this issue too.

You're totally right! I think that a moderator's duty is not just one thing or another, but the obvious areas certainly shouldn't be neglected. :)

Feedback is always welcome. It's much better for people to ask these questions than to wonder from the sidelines and never bring it to our attention, haha. Sometimes when you're on the team, it's hard to see things from an outside perspective (as with anything) so it's appreciated! :D Thanks, Sheep!

15. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post

Aww. We all know you didn't mean to be harsh (you didn't sound harsh, just a mutual concern anyone might have had) so it's all good :) Nah, only chewing done here would be by @Caite-chan; but she does that to keep things in tact and running among the staffers. xD

Yeah! You should definitely be open about certain things, especially if you want them clarified, yeah? We're here to help if not mostly, solve the matter at hand at the very best. Yeah, some greenies I can understand. That's why we're currently clearing up the inactive ones and bringing in new ones. We already have a Staff Drive in commencement; you might wana give it a shot? :) Thread link.

But what you said as a whole is true. A blue mod holds higher authority and is basically roaming and taking care of the entire forum, so I think I know where you're coming from, but fret not!

NO WORRIES SHEEEEEEP <3 If you need any others clarified, just bring up the topic yeah? We won't bite or chew or spit (Xanthe said it) xD
    Paired with the lovable 💕 Kaoru 💕

- I has risen from the ashes of the flames -

17. This post has been liked by: