Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Neon Lights Sprite Project!

Hey all! I'm not going to make a fancy thread for this project with super-pretty markup and grapichs in the OP and all that. This is meant to be a fun and REALLY simple project to try to help bring people back into this subforum! I was originally going to do a recolor project, but I figured this would be much cooler to do. I've found a way to edit sprites so that, for the most part, they look like those neon signs that you see on the outside of bars and such.

This is incredible easy to do; probably even easier than a recolor! Plus, the end result looks really cool:

Tutorial
    Spoiler:
    Take a Pokemon sprite:

Color ALL of the lines in black. Even if there are no actual lines and there are color differences / patterns, like this:

If it's a small pattern, then color it all. If it's larger, then just outline it like so (and like on Togekiss's head feathers). Black patterns should always be solid-colored, though:

Color it ALL as one solid color. Preferably a color different from the background color so you can distinguish the two from each other.

For the next step, you want to use one of the following color ramps. Can be any of them!

Here's some ramps for those with more sensitive retina. Or less resilient retina, I guess it depends on how you look at it. xD

Fill all the black in with the lightest shade of the color ramp you chose:

Take the DARKEST color in that color ramp you chose, and anti-alias outside ALL of the corners of the lines on the OUTISIDE, like this:

If you don't know what anti-aliasing is, I suggest you check out the Sprite Encyclopedia. Or Google it.

Now, color in the base color pure black. Two pixels outside of the dimensions of the sprite should also be black. If my wording is confusing you, just copy these and zoom in in whatever image editing program you're using.

These look pretty cool so far, but we're not done yet! Take what you've got so far and give it another AA treatment. Use the middle shade, and AA around the INSIDE of ALL of the bright lines.

Look at that; done! That's literally all you have to do.

Rules

1. You can reserve up to 5 Pokemon at one time. If they aren't done after a couple weeks (or longer), your reservation might eventually be taken off of the list.
    2. For Kalos sprites, go here: The Smogon XY Sprite Project. All credit for original Kalos sprites goes to all of these wonderful people apart of this project.
    3. Anything's fair game, so long as you adhere to the overall style. Just, by all means, do NOT just use some Photoshop effects and call it a day. This is meant to be a pixel art project!

Finished Sprites

K A N T O
    Spoiler:

J O H T O
    Spoiler:

H O E N N
    Spoiler:

S I N N O H
    Spoiler:

U N O V A
    Spoiler:

K A L O S
    Spoiler:

S H I N Y / E X T R A S
    Spoiler:

Reservations
    Caite-Chan: Ditto?
    ninjaskarmory: ---
    Speed-X: ---
    Suicune's Fire: Suicune
    Lunar Latias: ---
    Noblejanobii: Shaymin (Land, Sky)
    Pokeman: Garchomp, Scizor

The Contributors
    ninjaskarmory: Vaporeon, Mightyena, Lapras, Lugia, Lopunny, Lumineon, Lilligant
    Speed-X: Sceptile, Togekiss, Magmortar, Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Treecko, Grovyle, Mudkip, Marshtomp, Swampert, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gallade, Shroomish, Breloom, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Pidgeot, Spinarak, Nosepass, Glameow, Sewaddle, Vileplume, Zapdos, Feraligatr, Chimchar, Manectric, [Silver] Butterfree
    Noblejanobii: Shaymin (Land)
    Neo Emolga: Emolga
    Suicune's Fire: Flareon, Misdreavus, [Red/Blue] Flareon
    Lunar Latias: Pikachu, Raichu, Charizard, Lucario
    Last edited by SassySnivy; 04-21-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

2. This post has been liked by:

Can I reserve Vaporeon? I might nab some others later, but I want to get this down first ;;

Also, can I make it be a bit more complex? I'll probably fail miserably, but it looks hecka fun
    Is it ninja Skarmory or Ninjask armory?
    Friend Code: 3711 - 7604 - 5273

Vaporeon: Shiny Collection | Mightyena: URPG | Absol: Sprite Gallery | Mega Lopunny: Naturelocke Challenge | Serperior: Pokemon Aesthetics | Ampharos: Prism Stats | other sprites are placeholders for when something exists for them to link to

4. This post has been liked by:

Sure thing! If you want to experiment a little with this, go for it. I wanted to keep this project simple and relatively open-ended for a good reason. :D @ninjaskarmory

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    ------------

Makes sense ^_^

How's this? I originally had a bit of magenta in here, but it gave me a headache >.<

Vaporeon: Shiny Collection | Mightyena: URPG | Absol: Sprite Gallery | Mega Lopunny: Naturelocke Challenge | Serperior: Pokemon Aesthetics | Ampharos: Prism Stats | other sprites are placeholders for when something exists for them to link to

7. This post has been liked by:

Ooh, dual colors! I likey very much. You executed that very well! * 7 * Maybe you ought to do more like that and I'll do the same! ' 7 '

------------

9. This post has been liked by:

I'm stealing Ditto to see if I can make this work. xD
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

11. This post has been liked by:

EEEE thanks <33 You do that! I'm gonna do Mightyena next if that's all good

Go for it, Caite! And I tried that technique on Togekiss and Magmortar, turned out really well!

------------

14. This post has been liked by:

This is what I came up with but I feel like my lines might need to be thicker?
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post

This is what I came up with but I feel like my lines might need to be thicker?
    You forgot the anti-aliasing step! xD Did you check the tutorial?

------------