Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Daily Literature Quotes

Welcome to the Daily Literary Quotes thread!

Each day (forgoing any expected circumstances) I will post a random quote from a specific part of literature. It can be anything from a play to a novel to fanfiction to anything! Feel free to submit quotes to me as well! I'm going to be compiling a list to randomly select each day and if you submit one I'll be sure to credit you unless you request otherwise.

Anyone can comment on the quote whether you've actually read the piece or not. No research required. Everyone's opinion is welcome! It's always interesting everyone's interpretation of certain pieces!

How to Submit a Quote to me:
    1. Find said quote and at least either have who said it or what it's from. The quote can be from just about anything so even if you're not sure it counts, still send it to me and I'll let you know.
    2. Send the quote to me via PM or VM. I'd prefer you not post here for organizational purposes and it'll also be noticed quicker if you send it that way.
    3. Wait for it to be posted. There's no guarantee it'll show up immediately since I'll be using an RNG for what gets selected. However, that said, you will be tagged if a quote you submitted gets posted.

So, without further ado, to start this day off, I'll be starting with a personal favorite quote of mine.

"Two households, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
    From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
    Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
    From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
    A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
    Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
    Do with their death bury their parents' strife."
    (Romeo and Juliet 1.1)

Yes! The opening lines to the ever famous play, Romeo and Juliet! I'm a sucker for the play. I mean it has jokes in it that are so perverted I didn't catch them until I reread it this year. Nevertheless, I love these lines because not only do they summarize the entire plot of the play in eight lines, but also because it's so recognizable in every aspect of literature. I mean, you can say the first line and several people will look and you and go "Romeo and Juliet?" It's the setup to a classic story that has been parodied over and over, yet it never ceases to be beautiful. Hearing these lines always inspires me to hope one day I'll write something that will be just as famous. That's how you know you've written something beautiful. My biased opinion says 10/10. XD
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 04-11-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

2. This post has been liked by:

YAAAAAAAAAS WHAT A GOOD IDEA! @Lunar Latias @Ghostwriter you guys should join. :D (Also what do you reckon; author's corner or writer's desk? I think it could go in either!)

I hate Romeo and Juliet. xD I really dislike it. However, I can appreciate Shakespeare and his magical wordplay. I do like that it sums up the entire plot. For that only, and not at all because of my personal likes/dislikes, 8/10 from me!

I don't really care much for Romeo and Juliet, either. I respect it and can appreciate its literary significance, but I was never much into it. When I was in ninth grade reading it for the first time, I laughed at their little fatal misunderstanding.

And linking Pyramus and Thisbe for those who might not have heard of it before. ;]

Eh, I was zoned out most of the time when I read it freshman year. Even without reading it directly, I retained enough of it, and I'm not fond of it. Though, as the others said, it's something you can respect even if you don't like it. It's the origin of the star-crossed lovers trope, as well, and as much as I dislike that because it gets wedged in where it is unnecessary, there are some stories, such as The Hunger Games, that did it well.

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    UM. If this is opinion and sharing based, rather than actual writing, probably just leave it in the Author's Corner. Could really be either. xD

OH THANK GOD. I'm not the only one who doesn't like Romeo and Juliet. xD It was bland and boring to me. I got much more excitement out of Macbeth. THE KILLIIIIINNNNG. Also don't like Hamlet. But I do really love the way Shakespeare writes. I love that ye ol' timey stuff. XD I'm gonna share one from one of my favourite older novels.

“From the very beginning— from the first moment, I may almost say— of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.”
    I feel that needs an exclamation mark at the end... WHO WANTS TO GUESS WHERE IT'S FROM?! /easy

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    I feel that needs an exclamation mark at the end... WHO WANTS TO GUESS WHERE IT'S FROM?! /easy
    I liked Pride and Prejudice. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    I liked Pride and Prejudice. =P
    You got it, Fatey! :D /newnickname

It's one of my all-time favourite novels.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

*sparkly eyes* I'm gone for church and I come back and *tears in eyes* I'm so proud!

Also, YES PRIDE AND PREJUDICE!! I totes approve!

As for all the R&J haters, I to once hated the stories, but then,
    Two women, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Barnes & Noble, where we lay our scene,
    From a gift card to a book purchase,
    Where a risky purchase led to a unknown love.
    From the deep bookshelves of the store of two names,
    A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
    Whole love deep within these pages,
    Do with their death cause a teenager to love their true story.

*sighs happily* RomeoxJuliet was the best Manga and Anime.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

10. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

You got it, Fatey! :D /newnickname

It's one of my all-time favourite novels.
    Knew someone would call me that eventually. =P

I like Jane Austen's writing. She amuses me and makes me want to read more. (Unlike a certain drunk named Hemingway.)

And can we go about posting our favorite quotes or did you totally just hijack the thread? =P

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    Knew someone would call me that eventually. =P

I like Jane Austen's writing. She amuses me and makes me want to read more. (Unlike a certain drunk named Hemingway.)

And can we go about posting our favorite quotes or did you totally just hijack the thread? =P
    ;D

Yes, me too! I really need to read more. I also like Anne Bronte, who's quite similar. Huehuehue. Yes, Noble said we're allowed to post quotes! xD Don't worry, you didn't hijack the thread! although now that sounds like fun.