Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Today's Daily Literature Quote is...

Quote Originally Posted by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    “Cut out all those exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.”
    I have always found this quote very interesting. Given that I don't use exclamation points as much as I used to, I think I sort of understand this concept. Sometimes it is better to emphasize a tone through words rather than punctuation. There have been times when I've been reading something and then seen the exclamation point then had to go back and reread what I just read in that tone, rather than having the tone conveyed to me through either the language of the sentence or the context clues around it. But I'm not really sure if this is what he meant or not.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

2. This post has been liked by:

AD 

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Women Warrior, Maxine Hong Kingston
    "You can't eat straight As."
    Thanks to @solivagant for submitting this quote!

As a person who was constantly pressured throughout high school to get As and only As, I will live, breathe, and die screaming this quote inside my mind. I understand why getting good grades is important but I have never found it necessary to stress kids out to the point where they pray for sickness or bad weather in order to escape the pressures of the institution for just one day. It is no wonder so many students suffer from depression. I think politicians, parents, and all of those with influence on the educational system need to take a step back and realize what is truly wrong with the educational system, then fix it because it has become increasingly obvious to me that if we pray for a disaster to strike, then something is very wrong with the institution that causes us to ask for disaster.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Moderator

My mind is blown right now. Even in Alphabet soup you can't eat straight A's, there will always be those D's and B's, P's and Q's not being mindful.

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

5. This post has been liked by:

Great quote. I concur that the pressure is just ridiculous and so unnecessary. I'm glad I never pressured myself to get good grades. xD I mean, I also wasn't trying to get into any immediate tertiary study so it didn't matter so much for me, but still. It was stressful enough just going through school, let alone making sacrifice after sacrifice to get yourself an outstanding mark.

7. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Waldo Emerson
    “The writer is an explorer. Every step is an advance into a new land.”
    People often ask me why I write, and it's really a simple answer, I don't see the stories I want to see out there. Personally I love crafting tales of adventures, whether they are as mundane as getting anxious over waiting for a birthday present to arrive or something as big as slaying a dragon. These are all events that I love to write, and one of my favorite things to do is to get a situation and then think, "This character would go great here," and write about that character being in that situation rather than crafting a new character for that situation. Sometimes its great, but other times its more fun to flesh out preexisting characters for those reasons. So, I found it interesting to think of yourself as an explorer, because we often see ourselves as creators, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. When I'm writing a story, I'm not creating the world in which my characters live, I'm exploring it, figuring out the different rules that do and don't apply. When you are writing a story, at least when I write a story, I often imagine the character is relaying to me what they want to have written down in the story, and often times I can tell that I'm going in the right direction if the story flows well. If the story just doesn't feel right, then I know I'm not writing it the way it is supposed to be written, I'm not detailing the discoveries of my exploration the correct way, so I back up and try again, moving forward from there.
    / / / / / / / /

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Butler
    Every man's work, whether it be literature, or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
    There is so much truth to this idea. When I went to an author's panel about two months ago, one thing the authors all agreed on is that at the very least, their stories had pieces of their souls within them. There was always a part of them in their stories, and you could see that piece of them the more and more you read their works.
    / / / / / / / /

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck, The Winter of our Discontent
    “People who are most afraid of their dreams convince themselves they don’t dream at all.”
    Thanks to @solivagant for submitting this!

This is an interesting concept but it makes quite a bit of sense once you think about it. Sometimes dreams are so big and difficult to achieve that you become fearful of trying to conquer them. This can result in you thinking that you never dream. Dreaming can be intimidating but if this is anything to go by, you should never fear your dreams. Challenge and conquer them.
    / / / / / / / /

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet by William Shakespeare
    'Tis now the very witching time of night,
    When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
    Contagion to this world.
    The time has come for spooky spooky quotes! So we are summoning the witching hour from Hamlet today! I've always loved the imagery of this quote. This is in Act 3 Scene 2, during one of Hamlet's soliloquies. This is the point in time (if I remember correctly) when Hamlet's noticeably starting to fall off his rocker, and I can remember the first time I read this that the whole image sent a chill down my spine. It's as if he's wishing for the ghost of his father to come up and drag his uncle down to hell, or something. Reminds me a bit of those witches from Macbeth.
    / / / / / / / /

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Where there is no imagination there is no horror.
    Another slightly horror themed quote. Not really but it has the word horror in it so it counts!

Anyway, this is an interesting concept because we often think of the imagination as a tool for fun and creativity, but with that we must remember that not everyone's definition of fun or sense of creativity is the same as ours and they can think up some dark stuff.
    / / / / / / / /

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Harris Barham
    Ghosts, like ladies, never speak till spoke to.
    In all honesty I picked this solely because it made me laugh really hard. Still, it is an interesting thought. Many supernatural creatures, namely vampires who are probably the most well known for it, have certain laws that they must abide to when it comes to human contact. Vampires cannot entire a house without being invited in first, fairies cannot be near someone who has crossed or is in possession of iron, and certain creatures cannot follow you over rushing water. All in all, it is quite interesting to think about that someone or a group of people had to think all of this up for it to be so well known today.
    / / / / / / / /