Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible Live Action Pokemon Movie Coming?

It seems like the Pokemon Company is in the middle of talks for putting Pokemon back on the big screen and this time in live action. Even more, three big name studios are in a bidding war to get their hands on putting Pikachu in living color.

The Pokemon Company has recently started putting the rights for a Pokemon live action movie on the table in Hollywood. Legendary, Sony and Warner Bros. have all express interesting in the live action rights. Warner Bros. were an early favorite for the rights and previously worked with Pokemon with the release of the first three Pokemon movies. Though it now seems like Legendary will be the ones to most likely acquire the rights for a live action production of a Pokemon movie. Those who are familiar with movies may recognize Legendary as the motion picture company behind The Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, Godzilla and Jurassic World.
    No word on who will emerge with the rights of a Pokemon live action movie or what a possible script may involve. We have seen Pokemon experiment with putting Pokemon in the live action world recently with the Pokemon GO trailer and Super Bowl 50 commercial. So maybe those were just experiments with putting Pokemon in a live action setting. Only time will tell as this story develops.
    Source: Hollywood Reporter
    The post Possible Live Action Pokemon Movie Coming? appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.

2. This post has been liked by:

The applause, applause, applause~ MC Elesa's Avatar
    Editor-in-Chief

Senior Administrator

Here is my reaction to this.

Ugh.....Totally not looking forward to this if this is actually true. Live action movies for video games most of the time end up bad. Even worst, I am not sure I want to see Pokemon being done live action. I pretty much like them to stay in their cartoon and video game world. Pokemon GO is as close as I want to see them in the real world.

Also, I can already anticipate the 'discussion" of how it would totally suck if Ash was the protagonist of the movie and how it should be about Red. Meanwhile those saying that will completely ignore the fact that it would dumb if your hero is name after a color and that Ash actually has more mainstream recognition due to him being in the anime.

Sigh....Lets hope for the best and keep expectations low.
    Currently Playing: "CHRISTMAS!!!!"

By Neo Emolga

I am the opposite really. I welcome an attempt at a live action movie with open arms. I mean if it bombs it will be an instant classic like Dragon Ball ..lol. I think technology and special effects are good enough now to create the animated creatures. Though I would prefer more a more animated film like a pixal movie. That might be a safer move and gives them more to play around with.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

5. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I sincerely hope they reconsider this and they just peacefully drop it wasting as little money as possible. Every attempt I have seen to incorporate Pokemon in real life format, whether it has been fan-made videos or drawing "realistic Pokémon" has had abysmal results and they no longer look anything close to what they originated from. Okay, the Pokémon GO trailer, as nice as it was, wasn't to tell a story, it was to promote the upcoming game, and that's where the appeal was. The Pokémon were incorporated pretty well in that trailer, but still, there's something about mixing Pokémon with real life that just does NOT work.

Also, don't even get me started on Ash. The moral is if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, so my comments include the following:

Anyway, yeah, I hope they don't make this movie. Movies based on video games NEVER do well and I don't want to see something that's going to make me feel embarrassed to be a Pokémon fan. I'd rather they reallocate the budget they've prepared for this toward something else that holds more promise.

7. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post

I sincerely hope they reconsider this and they just peacefully drop it wasting as little money as possible. Every attempt I have seen to incorporate Pokemon in real life format, whether it has been fan-made videos or drawing "realistic Pokémon" has had abysmal results and they no longer look anything close to what they originated from. Okay, the Pokémon GO trailer, as nice as it was, wasn't to tell a story, it was to promote the upcoming game, and that's where the appeal was. The Pokémon were incorporated pretty well in that trailer, but still, there's something about mixing Pokémon with real life that just does NOT work.

Also, don't even get me started on Ash. The moral is if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, so my comments include the following:

Anyway, yeah, I hope they don't make this movie. Movies based on video games NEVER do well and I don't want to see something that's going to make me feel embarrassed to be a Pokémon fan. I'd rather they reallocate the budget they've prepared for this toward something else that holds more promise.
    Well my search to find a list of good movies based on Games and Cartoons did not yield great results. When you get a list with Resident Evil, Doom, Mario Bros and Silent Hill on it you are fighting a losing cause.

I would argue that Final Fantasy looked amazing and that parts of it were incredible. I realize people at the first animated film but 7 had some good stuff in it.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I don't think realistic Pokemon work. I mean most of them are made out of shiny plastic XD A super furry Pikachu would just look weird but how else could you do it? You can't make Pokemon look like they fit in the real world without losing what makes them Pokemon. So yeah, don't go there. o_o
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post

Agreeing with Joe here. I'm definitely open to something like this...and putting Pokemon in live action doesn't automatically mean hyper-realism or anything. =_= I'm thinking something more akin to Pokken: more realistic texturing and shading, but the Pokemon still look like themselves.

They might make it an independent thing, though. I'd like to think it wouldn't be based off of the anime continuum.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"? Pffth. xD are you kidding? If you don't have anything nice to say...then say it anyway, because people need to hear the truth. ;p

Perhaps mixing the cartoony / stylized designs of Pokemon, though, with real life DOESN'T work all that well. I mean, every time they've done it something just feels...unnatural about it. Now, I definitely wouldn't mind a CGI Pokemon movie!

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    LIVE ACTION MOVIES ARE NEVER A GOOD IDEA. /endofdiscussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    LIVE ACTION MOVIES ARE NEVER A GOOD IDEA. /endofdiscussion
    Marvel movies are live action. You guys cant hate all comic movies.

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max View Post
    Marvel movies are live action. You guys cant hate all comic movies.
    Should have clarified, I meant anime/manga live actions are never a good idea. :p They don't turn out well.