View RSS Feed

Neo Emolga

Halloween At Work!

Rate this Entry
So people were asking about how my secret Halloween party went at work.

IT. WAS. A. BLAST!

Okay, so to fully understand the story and the background on this puppy, I'm a data analyst/technical writer working on contract at Ethicon. Ethicon manufactures surgical devices like sutures, drains, meshes, that kind of thing. They make a ton of neat stuff.

The design history files I'm working on now is for the Surgicel Powder Device. It looks like this if you're wondering. Basically what it does is you press down on that pump in the back (Bellows to be precise) and it shoots a powder at whatever the tube is pointed at. This Surgicel powder is used to patch wounds and perform hemostasis (a fancy medical term that means to stop bleeding and form a blood clot). It's really meant to be used in surgery operating room settings, though. This isn't the kind of thing you'll see at the drugstore or off of Amazon. :P

The whole project for this device is called Project PIXIE. Pixie, because someone called the hemostatic powder this thing shoots "pixie dust." It's outright hilarious how "Project Pixie" appears on all the memos, technical drawings, regulatory forms, and all that jazz. I've seen it on everything and everywhere. You can't run from it. Someone even posted a sign on the conference room door that reads "PIXIE WARRIORS" and "Remember the unicorn!" Sweet mother of mercy, I love this crew. You feel so free to have good fun while you work here. XD

So when it was the Team Leader's birthday, I surprised her with a birthday cake while I was dressed as a pixie. She ADORED it. I took a picture with her and they FRAMED IT ON THE WALL IN THE CONFERENCE ROOM. So that ain't going away anytime soon! So I did the same kind of thing for this Halloween shindig. Brought in cupcakes, cookies, candy, and all kinds of other surprise goodies and decorated the conference room with Halloween decor (even dressed up the skeleton model they have with a straw hat, shades, and a Hawaiian shirt!) while no one suspected a thing. And of course, I wore this crazy pixie costume. Such a good time, they loved it.

And if you want to see pictures, here's me, acting like a complete goofball in this crazy pixie Halloween costume. And yeah, that's the Pixie powder device applicator in my hand (and mouth!), waving it around like a magic wand.

In all the jobs I've ever had, I've never had as much fun as I've had in this one. It's a great team, they make really cool, life-saving products, and they love and know exactly how to have a good time.

Here's proof you can have a great Halloween even if you have to go to the office!

Submit "Halloween At Work!" to Digg Submit "Halloween At Work!" to del.icio.us Submit "Halloween At Work!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Halloween At Work!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is so cool Neo! It's awesome that you've got such great people to work with, I'm sure that makes a huge difference to how much you like work. :) You're definitely super fun to work with on PXR so I can imagine how fun it would be working with you in real life! xD

Btw, I think I remember you saying this job was temporary or something when you started? Is that still the case? If so, they definitely need to hire you forever after this!!! xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    This is so cool Neo! It's awesome that you've got such great people to work with, I'm sure that makes a huge difference to how much you like work. :) You're definitely super fun to work with on PXR so I can imagine how fun it would be working with you in real life! xD

Btw, I think I remember you saying this job was temporary or something when you started? Is that still the case? If so, they definitely need to hire you forever after this!!! xD
    They're awesome! They're such a nice crew and they do a lot of really great work. Really, working in a research and development area opens your eyes to a lot of things you'd never think go on when developing a product. And the things these guys make save lives.

Yeah, it's only a temporary contract. It keeps getting extended, which is great, but it still hasn't become a permanent position. It's even set to end on the last day of November. I would be THRILLED if they came to me with a offer to go permanent. Still, I'll hang on as long as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    They're awesome! They're such a nice crew and they do a lot of really great work. Really, working in a research and development area opens your eyes to a lot of things you'd never think go on when developing a product. And the things these guys make save lives.

Yeah, it's only a temporary contract. It keeps getting extended, which is great, but it still hasn't become a permanent position. It's even set to end on the last day of November. I would be THRILLED if they came to me with a offer to go permanent. Still, I'll hang on as long as I can.
    Best of luck with it Neo!!! You're amazing and totally deserve it! <3
    Hahaha oh my gosh, this looks like so much fun! I LOVE team/workplace environments where everything is positive and you can all have a great time. Nothing like getting paid to have fun with other people (while doing good work). :3

Love the outfit, of course. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Best of luck with it Neo!!! You're amazing and totally deserve it! <3
    Ooh, I'm really hoping hard on it, but we'll see. :)

Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire
    Hahaha oh my gosh, this looks like so much fun! I LOVE team/workplace environments where everything is positive and you can all have a great time. Nothing like getting paid to have fun with other people (while doing good work). :3

Love the outfit, of course. xD
    These crazy butterfly wings are so much fun to wear. But yeah, it's a great team and even when things are a bit rough and complicated, they're a crew that knows how to keep spirits up and still laugh. That's RARE.

And hey, glad you like it! Nothing like having goofy fun at the office. XD