View RSS Feed

XaiakuX

Diabeetus!

Rate this Entry
I mentioned in my last blog about my recent Diagnosis of Type-2 Diabetes. This is basically me telling my story about it in greater detail. Because I know you love reading about me. That's why you're here isn't it? Or are you here to simply glance at the latest mundane writing endeavor that I've concocted, while pressing down on the six dollar words to complicate your capacity to comprehend? Either way, I love you. Stick around, you might learn you a thing.

I was actually diagnosed with T2D Back in March? April? Hell, I can't remember. It was around Easter, and everyone thought it'd be cool to load my Easter Basket with Sugar Free candy. Everything tasted awful except the dark chocolate and the gummy bears. But, through all of this, over the past year, I have baffled my doctor on several occasions.

When I was diagnosed, my A1C was at an 11, and my Blood Sugar read at 460. If you don't know anything about this, typically your blood sugar should read out between 80-120 at any given time. Your A1C should be between 4 and 7. To make matters worse, according to my doctor, prior to getting tested.. My blood sugar levels, at some point in the prior 3 months, was just about 700. Typically, a person should fall into a coma, and not be waking up.

Over the course of 2 weeks between visits I dropped 20 pounds off just eating smaller quantities, and drinking water/tea. Apparently no one prior had taken this disease seriously and just got so much worse before they got better. When I got my medication initially, I almost died, again. Twice in the same year. My body had been so used to having this High blood sugar level, that when I got put on the insulin, and metformin, my body immediately had an adverse reaction to the sudden dip in blood sugar levels. It would be the same effect of a person with normal levels falling under that 80 line. Only far more drastic, as my blood sugar went from the 400s to the 200s almost all at once.

However, by my next visit, 3 months later, I was perfectly normal, again. This was all me on my meds on a daily basis. Then I got hit with the financial problem. I stopped taking my meds on a daily, but kept up my regular routine. I baffled them more when I told them I stopped taking my meds regularly, and I mean, I stretched my doses to about 2 weeks apart within 6 months because I can't afford that stuff. My blood sugar was 94, and my A1C was at 6. The highest it's been of late is about 160, and that's usually because of a night out with the family, and I'm eating the big portion at the restaurant.

I've learned a few things from this, too. Firstly, if you are diagnosed with a disease, and you're told you can manage it, control it, and possibly even be rid of it? You're foolish to not do anything and everything in your power to make sure you get the best possible outcome for yourself. The moment I learned about this, I did my homework, I changed my lifestyle, and I did everything in my power to make sure that this disease, which can effectively kill me, as it has almost done TWICE, does not have its way.

The second thing, is that SUGAR and CARBS are NOT your primary enemy with Type-2 Diabetes. That's the case for Type-1 Diabetics. The primary enemy for Type-2 Diabetics is Gluttony. Eating too much, too frequently. Because the problem isn't what you eat, it's how much, and if your pancreas (which pumps out that natural insulin your body needs to burn carbohydrates) can keep up with it. The thing about the Pancreas, if it gets messed up, it can recover if you slow down, and give it time to do so. However, if it shuts down completely, it's done, and welcome to Type-1 Diabetes.

That all being said, cutting out sugar and carbs is still an effective method to controlling this disease (said as I sip from my can of Root Beer). If you, or someone you know likes to drink soda, and wants to go the 0 carb and 0 sugar route, I recommend Diet Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero. I favor these two most of all. However, if they really want to take care of themselves, cutting out soda as a whole would probably be the wiser move.

I have loads of tips and tricks to help manage one's Type-2 Diabetes, so if you want the knowledge, I will share it. In the mean time, I shall let you return to your life. Thanks for reading. ;D

Submit "Diabeetus!" to Digg Submit "Diabeetus!" to del.icio.us Submit "Diabeetus!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Diabeetus!" to Google

Comments

Good on you! It must have been quite a shock being diagnosed with it, but that's awesome that you're doing all you can to manage it and it sounds like you're doing well. :)
    Diabetes sucks, but you're definitely handling it the right way by understanding you need to change your lifestyle. And it sounds like it's working, which is really good. :3

I have tried diet Dr Pepper and that stuff is good. Coke Zero too is good, but in most cases, I usually drink water or coffee. But the occasional diet soda isn't bad.

Thanks for sharing this info, because my dad, who also has Type 2, thinks it's about the sugar and carbs. I might drop the hint that eating less is a good idea, also. Sometimes he has big meals and he may not be aware cutting some of the quantity out would help.
    The only thing I drink is water. xD I hate soft drink and don't touch the stuff. Any kind of processed food or preservative is bad for you, so I tend to be more natural. And the doctors and dieticians I've visited (for reflux reasons) say that it's better to eat smaller, regular meals. So instead of eating three huge meals a day, it's better to eat five smaller ones. And that goes for your digestive system and general health, too.

When I was in hospital recently my blood sugar level was the opposite to yours, and I was often dipping too low. Mostly due to not eating. I can usually tell when that starts to happen since I feel kinda off and a little light-headed. Eating a small snack fixes that right up. You just need to eat less. :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    Diabetes sucks, but you're definitely handling it the right way by understanding you need to change your lifestyle. And it sounds like it's working, which is really good. :3

I have tried diet Dr Pepper and that stuff is good. Coke Zero too is good, but in most cases, I usually drink water or coffee. But the occasional diet soda isn't bad.

Thanks for sharing this info, because my dad, who also has Type 2, thinks it's about the sugar and carbs. I might drop the hint that eating less is a good idea, also. Sometimes he has big meals and he may not be aware cutting some of the quantity out would help.
    Homie, in the event of big meals and such, or even any meal, really. Tell him to pop a Cinnamon Capsule (I usually take a 500mg). Or if it's a dessert of some sort, just sprinkle some on it. I swear by it, and it WILL keep his sugar levels balanced and possibly lower. For some reason it actually works. Cinnamon has been proven to lower and moderate blood sugar levels. There's no specific or scientific explanation for it, but I'm not one to fight it because of that. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Altaria
    The only thing I drink is water. xD I hate soft drink and don't touch the stuff. Any kind of processed food or preservative is bad for you, so I tend to be more natural. And the doctors and dieticians I've visited (for reflux reasons) say that it's better to eat smaller, regular meals. So instead of eating three huge meals a day, it's better to eat five smaller ones. And that goes for your digestive system and general health, too.

When I was in hospital recently my blood sugar level was the opposite to yours, and I was often dipping too low. Mostly due to not eating. I can usually tell when that starts to happen since I feel kinda off and a little light-headed. Eating a small snack fixes that right up. You just need to eat less. :p

Yeah, I drink soda on a rare occasion. My main liquid intake is Coffee, Tea, and Water (occasionally with those sugar free flavor packs). My blood sugar has also been known to dip from time to time as well. Usually I just grab a soda or something sweet, and back up to normal it goes.

The biggest issue I was having was my blindness getting worse. Like, I could barely read the letters in front of my face, and I knew something was wrong. That, and waking up in the middle of the night to run to the toilet. I had all the symptoms so I knew what was going on, I just didn't have any clue how bad it actually was until my doctor told me everything. I'm glad I was able to bounce back with such efficiency in such a short time. Doctor says it must be because I'm still young that it cleared up so quickly, and has the potential to go away. That result is what I'm working towards, and hoping for.