View RSS Feed

Coru's Void Blog

Creative block.

Rate this Entry
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I bet every artist knows exactly that moment when you just have no idea for anything, and when you find an idea you just can't get it to go right or get it down on the paper.
I've been taking a break from a lot of stuff for the last two weeks or so to try and have a fresh start and get myself out of this creative block but I just can't seem to. It can't have come at a worse time too.

I'm planning on setting up my Etsy shop this month and i've got a substantial amount of uni work to do including a dissertation and two projects, but of course this is when my mind decides to have a block. I've heard if you just draw and draw you will get out of it eventually so I'm doing Smaugust at the moment which is draw a dragon a day, I'll post them when I've done them digitally but it doesn't really seem to be helping.

Anyone got any hints and tips to get over creative block? It's so frustrating and annoying. haha.

Submit "Creative block." to Digg Submit "Creative block." to del.icio.us Submit "Creative block." to StumbleUpon Submit "Creative block." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I know for writing a useful thing is free writing, where you just keep typing without stopping and eventually it transitions from useless thoughts to substance, so yes, perhaps a similar thing can be achieved for drawing? You could always time yourself for some things, like do some timed still-life. One-minute sessions for instance and then you have to move on even if you're not finished. Or make a gift or two for some people. That always motivates me if I have an art block. :) Because then it's not for you, so the stakes are higher.
    For art, maybe try taking requests for a while. There's been times when I've wanted to create banners and had the time, but just didn't know what to make. Sometimes the requests people make can be a bit challenging and make you try new things. Plus they usually get something out of it too, so it's good stuff for everyone.
    @Suicune's Fire @Neo Emolga
    I'll try that. Drawing for others sounds like an idea, so I can't dig myself deeper because of me being a perfectionist haha. Might post that on my art thread and so if anyone fancies it. Might also try timed drawings, I could always get better with my sketching and speed drawing skills too. haha.
    I think it's also got something to do with whats wrong with me at the moment. Had a blood test today and the doctors said something's wrong. Maybe Anaemia or something like that so i'm constantly feeling exhausted so I guess my mental state is low a bit at the moment.
    Lets hope I can get out of this block in a week or so. Got so many ideas I want to get on with. haha.
    I feel you coru, mine is mostly soul crushing laziness, but i feel you