View RSS Feed

Noblejanobii

The Return of a Champion (Rome, Granada, and Cordoba Highlights)

Rate this Entry
So as promised here's the latest highlights from my past two trips. After this the updates might slow down since I don't think I'll be traveling as much from here on out but we'll see.

First we'll start with Rome. It was a lot of fun! I've been before but it was nearly 8 years ago at this point so it was nice to go back again, especially since I was going with a friend who had never been before. We lucked out and ended up going during European Culture week, which meant all the national museums like the Colosseum had free admission. So on the first day we hit up all the big spots: the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Roman Forum, the Mouth of Truth, and several churches. It was really cool but unfortunately we ended up hitting all the big sites on the first day. So the second day came around and we decided to go to the place Julius Caesar was stabbed (which is now a cat sanctuary funny enough), a Leonardo Da Vinci invention museum, the Spanish steps, Percy Shelley and John Keats' house, the Circus Maximus, and the pyramid in Rome. Unfortunately, the Shelly and Keats house ended up closing early that day so we never got in. But the inventions museum was AWESOME. Definitely the highlight of my day since you get to see a lot of his inventions as full scale models including like the tank, the diving suit, his flying machines, etc. But also they let you play with a lot of his smaller machines like the carillon, the room of mirrors, etc. It was only 7 euro for us because we were students but I think even then the adult tickets were only 9 euro (since it wasn't a national museum) so I'd highly recommend it if you ever go to Rome. It's a great way to kill thirty minutes to an hour. We ended up spending our last day just kinda wandering around and touring some of the shops (which I hated but that's beside the point). I got a cool Edna Mode pencil case from the Disney Store and I got to see a Gucci store for the first time in my life. I saw a track suit in the window that cost the same amount as a year at my college. It was amazing.

Spoiler:

Me at the Colosseum

The Pantheon at night

Me at the Mouth of Truth

The pyramid

A clock invented by Da Vinci

So then we have the Cordoba and Granada weekend trip. This was also pretty fun albeit somewhat less eventful just because I had a lot of homework I had to work on the whole time. So first day we get on a bus and go to Cordoba. Now, Cordoba is a rather small town and it is very pretty but there's very little to do there. We toured a Mosque turned Cathedral which was actually pretty cool since they preserved the dome and other aspects of the original architecture while adding onto it with prayer alcoves and such. Overall it was a very neat blend of both cultures. We didn't stay much longer after that and moved on to Granada where we spent the night. We did take a night tour where they took us to one of the highest points in the city at night when the place is all lit up. It made for great stargazing and my pictures don't do the lights show justice. The next day we toured another cathedral with the bodies of royals in it, then were given free time by our program. I took most of the time to lounge by the pool or do homework but I did swing by Frederico Garcia Lorca's house and park. It was closed, unfortunately, but getting to just see it was pretty cool on its own. The next day we went to Alhambra, a fortress and castle that is said to be the place Christopher Columbus presented his plan to discover the Americas here. It's actually got some really impressive architecture and gardens, as well as some really cool history dealing with harems and soldiers. I wish we spent more time there but alas, it was not meant to be.

Spoiler:

A fountain said to give you good luck in finding a partner if you drink from it (don't worry they have spickets that are safe to drink from)

Bell tower of the mosque/cathedral

Me at Alhambra

Lorca's house

Now of course, as some of you may have seen in my post in "Today is a terrible day", I accidentally left my beloved piplup plush in the hotel in Granada. I actually have a very difficult time sleeping without a companion stuffie so I've been having nightmares since I lost it. Thankfully though, the hotel did not throw it out and had it at reception. With the help of some of the professors in my program I was able to hire a courier service and have it safely returned to me today. So I'll be getting a good sleep tonight! The champion has returned after a long journey.

Spoiler:

Here's Piplup!

Submit "The Return of a Champion (Rome, Granada, and Cordoba Highlights)" to Digg Submit "The Return of a Champion (Rome, Granada, and Cordoba Highlights)" to del.icio.us Submit "The Return of a Champion (Rome, Granada, and Cordoba Highlights)" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Return of a Champion (Rome, Granada, and Cordoba Highlights)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Looks like you're having tons of fun on this trip! Get to escape and experience a whole new side of the world. Literally!

A whole slice of history in another country can look vastly different and it's pretty amazing. The Clock invented by Da Vinci looks pretty awesome!

That Fountain sounds like it needs a visit from many others....like me xD. Still no luck in that department.

The Bell Tower is pretty awesome! Guess that's the one based around Quasimodo? Least it looks a lot like it.

and Yaaaaaaay! The Piplup returns! Glad to see it back in rightful hands and that there was no damage to it or anything like that.
    @Noblejanobii Thank you for posting this blog entry! I really like the beautiful pictures and the fun facts about your trips. :D I'm also glad to hear that you managed to get your Piplup plush back! :) I also have a Piplup plush, and I think it's the same as yours. :o
    Heroes never die. Looks like a fun time!
    Amazing the stuff people built even all those years ago.

Thanks for sharing these great photographs! The one with you sticking your hand in the Mouth of Truth gave me a chuckle. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster
    Looks like you're having tons of fun on this trip! Get to escape and experience a whole new side of the world. Literally!

A whole slice of history in another country can look vastly different and it's pretty amazing. The Clock invented by Da Vinci looks pretty awesome!

That Fountain sounds like it needs a visit from many others....like me xD. Still no luck in that department.

The Bell Tower is pretty awesome! Guess that's the one based around Quasimodo? Least it looks a lot like it.

and Yaaaaaaay! The Piplup returns! Glad to see it back in rightful hands and that there was no damage to it or anything like that.
    Yeah it's all been really cool to see and take it. The culture is so different yet so interesting!

As for the bell tower, mm maybe? That's what's called a liturgical bell tower, they tend to all mirror the same style so I'd guess it's based on Notre Dame in Paris since most liturgical towers are based on that cathedral.

Yep no damage whatsoever! Safe and sound!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel
    @Noblejanobii Thank you for posting this blog entry! I really like the beautiful pictures and the fun facts about your trips. :D I'm also glad to hear that you managed to get your Piplup plush back! :) I also have a Piplup plush, and I think it's the same as yours. :o
    Yep! But it'll be nice to take this weekend and rest. It's the first time I've been home for a weekend in a while. And maybe it is! Who knows. Mine's pretty old though so it's possible but I don't think they make the one I have anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur
    Heroes never die. Looks like a fun time!
    It's been a blast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    Amazing the stuff people built even all those years ago.

Thanks for sharing these great photographs! The one with you sticking your hand in the Mouth of Truth gave me a chuckle. XD
    The power of math and science that I will appreciate but also hate. But very impressive stuff nonetheless!

I no longer have that hand. I have been reduced to just my left hand. They call me the one hand Sloane now.