View RSS Feed

Neo Emolga

I'm now a Flying/Fairy type.

Rate this Entry
So this craziness started when my friend Tommy suggested dressing up as a princess to go to the New York Renaissance Faire. He's usually dressing up as goofy things, such as a lunch lady for one Halloween and a taco for another. Heck, I myself have dressed up for Halloween as a skunk with a Hawaiian shirt on, so there's that. In the past, I've gone to the NY Ren Faire as a dragon and another year as a white mage. Good, goofy times. The deal was he'd go as a princess this year, and I'd go as a faerie just for shiz and giggles.

This year, he didn't seem too interested in going in costume anymore even though I had gotten most of the costume stuff together, so I figured I'd just have fun with it myself. Now, given, I decided not to make this a traditional faerie costume. I decided to do a different take, break stereotypes, and make a male rogue faerie instead. I LOVE breaking stereotypes. Black-clad assassin faeries for the win.

Basically what the rogue faerie costume consists of is black garb, runic dagger and pouches (I need those pouches to carry my wallet, keys, and phone) while donning a colored wig, elf ears, black antennae, and inflatable butterfly wings. It's actually closely based off of this RP character.

The highlight feature is obviously the wings. They're huge when fully inflated! Heck, they're the biggest pair I could find online and they look and feel like I could just take off into the air with them. But they're also convenient for the fact that they can be deflated so that when I'm walking around in narrow areas or around large gatherings of people, they don't bump into everyone and everything on the way. They also look like folded-up wings when deflated and not all crumpled up, which is good. Inflating them is also easy. There's a battery pack around my waist and all I need to do is plug in two barely-noticeable wires. In about thirty seconds, they're fully inflated. The fan that blows the air to inflate them is also really nice when it's super hot.

Curious to see what it all looks like? Here you go!

Spoiler:

Photo by Frank Tirrell. He's a professional photographer and this is on his website. Yes, he really liked the costume also. XD

They're having a fantasy costume contest this Saturday on the 3rd and I'm getting in on that. That's pretty much the reason why I went all out on this. But hey, even if I don't win (I don't think there's a prize anyway), it's fun and the attention is enjoyable.

So I went on August 13th kind of as a test run and to see what people would think of this costume. People LOVED it, although not everyone was able to tell I was a faerie. Some people thought I was just a straight up butterfly. Yes, a butterfly with a dagger. That alone is hilarious. One guy even commented "you're the most majestic thing I've ever seen." And a TON of people asked for me to take photographs with them, their families, their kids, just about everyone. Not even the paid actors and performers get that kind of attention!

And it was also fun to role play with the actual actors portraying faeries. It was very easy to get noticed by them and besides smiles and waves, I even hugged one of them. It was fun, it was hilarious, and my advice to you is if you ever go to one of these things, go in costume. Really, it's a thousand times more fun if you do. The more ambitious you get, the more fun it is.

Submit "I'm now a Flying/Fairy type." to Digg Submit "I'm now a Flying/Fairy type." to del.icio.us Submit "I'm now a Flying/Fairy type." to StumbleUpon Submit "I'm now a Flying/Fairy type." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Corey would be so proud.
    im honestly at a loss for words with that costume :P Dat smile really brings this whole photo together!
    That's so cool Neo!! Those wings are crazy incredible!!! Its really cool how the inflation is designed and that they look folded when deflated. I hope there are no strong gusts of wind or you might fly away! xD Love how well you matched the wings and wig. It's an awesome idea too! Good luck in the contest! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii
    Corey would be so proud.
    Heh, yeah, I was just thinking that! Corey's definitely the prime advocate for Fairy types. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Rival Max
    im honestly at a loss for words with that costume :P Dat smile really brings this whole photo together!
    Thanks, yeah, even looking at myself in a mirror gets me almost laughing about how it's a perfect blend of cool and crazy all in one. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    That's so cool Neo!! Those wings are crazy incredible!!! Its really cool how the inflation is designed and that they look folded when deflated. I hope there are no strong gusts of wind or you might fly away! xD Love how well you matched the wings and wig. It's an awesome idea too! Good luck in the contest! :D
    These wings are just too much fun to wear. Heck, they're so big that in certain rooms, they hit the ceiling. The main idea was I wanted to avoid teeny little wings that realistically, there's no way anyone could take off the ground with them. Heck, a lot of the actors portraying faeries over there have these dinky little butterfly wings that are just way too small. So when I saw these online, (in case you're curious or want to order your own!), I had to go for them. To me, these were the perfect size, scaled up to exactly what they should be for a faerie to realistically fly with them.

And yes, I'm glad you noticed matching the wig with the wing colors was intentional! The wig is actually for a Sora No Game No Life cosplay (an anime I have no clue what it's about, I just saw the wig colors and felt it was a perfect, multi-colored match for this).

I'll let you guys know how the contest goes tomorrow. Win or lose, prize or no prize, I'm sure it'll be a blast and I'm looking forward to it. :D

I remember reading from past contests they might expect me to do a 30 second character introduction. I'm not sure that's still happening, but just in case, I have something quick and funny ready to go:

<Bows before the audience with a sly smile.>

ME: Hello there, my name is Jysan Ryderan (might as well use the RP character's name), a most cunning faerie rogue! How many of you have heard of me?

<Expecting no one to raise their hands. I can't imagine how anyone would.>

ME: Good! Because a well-known rogue is not a very good one!

<I then suddenly catch myself, look around nervously, and face-palm.>

ME: Oh great, and now you all know who I am! Well isn't that just lovely!
    That's amazing! O: I absolutely LOVE those wings! They're so impressive. I love how they come with an auto-inflator, and that the fan is good for summer. XD Also that scenery behind you is beautiful! It looks like Jysan is in his element. c: Seriously though, such a kickass costume. It's so cool that you love demolishing stereotypes because I think that's one of the coolest things to do. I definitely approve of that. c: I did think you were a butterfly as well, but only because of the antennae. Regardless, such a great costume! I'm not surprised so many people wanted pictures. How much did those wings cost you?! xD
    Ladies and gentlemen...

I WON!

At least out of the adult category, but yes, I got the most cheering from the audience, so I was considered the winner! I would have posted about it earlier, but the amount of Wi-Fi at the Faire had a very Renaissance era feel. :P

The prize for winning was interesting. A wooden mushroom about a foot tall, made by one of the local craft artisans. I never would have guessed that, but hey, it's a great trophy to remember this fun occasion.

My competition was pretty fierce and there were a lot of well-dressed people I was up against. There were plenty of great costumes, especially this one guy that was dressed up as some death knight or something like that with huge, bulky plate armor and a massive warhammer. I was impressed, if that dude won, I totally would have been okay with that. I'm guessing the giant butterfly wings charmed the audience more. I also tried to put on a nice, whimsical and humorous composure, so maybe that helped too.

And yes, people still thought I was a butterfly. I even did the 30 second faerie rogue character introduction I mentioned above (yes, people laughed, my plan worked!) and still... got called a butterfly by the contest host. I'm sitting here just laughing as I remember it.

And yes, TONS of more photo ops today. Dudes loved it, chicks loved it, kids loved it. It was definitely an awesome, celebrity-like feeling. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire
    That's amazing! O: I absolutely LOVE those wings! They're so impressive. I love how they come with an auto-inflator, and that the fan is good for summer. XD Also that scenery behind you is beautiful! It looks like Jysan is in his element. c: Seriously though, such a kickass costume. It's so cool that you love demolishing stereotypes because I think that's one of the coolest things to do. I definitely approve of that. c: I did think you were a butterfly as well, but only because of the antennae. Regardless, such a great costume! I'm not surprised so many people wanted pictures. How much did those wings cost you?! xD
    Yeah, the fact the wings inflate and deflate is VERY handy. All it takes it plugging it into a battery pack, and that's not that much of a hassle. It's just a brick-sized battery that is worn like a belt. Still, glad you like the costume! And yes, that one photo is perfect for the fact that there's just nature behind me and not a whole bunch of people walking around.

And yes, I love trashing stereotypes. Who says you can't have a male faerie? I felt good proving it's totally possible, looks awesome, and yep, people loved it. You're probably right that the antennae probably got people thinking it's a butterfly costume, but I originally went for it just to give the costume every possible professional and immersive touch I could.

The wings cost me $300 USD. Yeah, they're not cheap and they were the most expensive part of the costume, but I totally feel they were worth it. You could spend $30 on some tiny, unimpressive, dinky mainstream wings from a typical costume store, or you can go all out, call in a YOLO moment, put the money down on something awesome and very eye-catching, have everyone around you love it and want to take pictures with you, and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Today was a blast and I'll always remember it. :)