Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Pokemon Moonlight Silver (COMPLETE!!!)

(rated E for Everyone)

After writing myself into a corner with my remix of Yellow, I decided to try again by compressing the Johto arc of the show into something not quite so filleriffic, with elements of HG/SS and my own ideas mixed in.

So be warned: This is not quite the GSC you remember, nor is it the anime you remember!

Prologue: The Fight in the Forest

The moon shone down on a forest somewhere in the Johto region, illuminating the Zubats as they fluttered about looking for bug Pokemon. But the evening calm was shattered by a male voice and a female voice in the middle of a heated argument:

"...If we continue through this forest, we'll make it to New Bark Town by tomorrow morning!"

"You have no sense of direction or time, Ash! That route looks like it would take several days, at least!"

"Prove it!"

An orange haired girl spread out a map of the region on the ground before her companion. "We're right here..." She pointed out the group's current location. "and New Bark Town is over here..." She pointed out the nearest town to the group's position. "and according to the scale on the map, we should reach New Bark in two days, not tomorrow!"

"But what if the map is not to scale, Misty?" the boy challenged as he adjusted a well loved red and white baseball cap with the familiar L sign of the Kanto League sitting askew on his head.

"Then it would say so on the map!" Misty sighed in frustration. Granted, she knew that once her companion had his mind set on something, it was very difficult to change his mind.

"But it doesn't, so my route is still viable!" Ash replied, confident in himself.

"No it's not!" Misty retorted.

"Yes it is!" Ash shot back.

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

Over in a bush, a yellow mouse creature with a thunderbolt shaped tail and a rotund blue mouse creature watched as their masters argued. [Ash, one; Misty, one...] the blue mouse smiled as the back and forth continued.

[Who needs TV when this is just as entertaining!] the yellow mouse agreed as it watched to see if the group's third member, an older brown haired boy with tanned skin, would intervene to stop the fight.

Just then, the FWEEEEEEEET! of a referee's whistle shattered the tranquility of the forest, sending Pokemon hurrying to their burrows and dens and stopping the argument in its tracks. "Both of you have good cases for a suitable route, but we'll decide the route in the morning, okay?" the brown haired boy replied as he let the silver referee's whistle he had just blown fall against his chest before returning to the simmering pot hanging over the campfire. "Besides, it's too late to travel any more today, so let's just have dinner and call it a day."

"Okay..." Misty sighed in defeat as she slumped against a log.

Just then, the older boy noticed the two mice creatures watching from the bush. "Tintri, Ami, the show's over--and dinner's almost ready."

[Coming, Brock!] The yellow electric mouse led the way as it clambored on Ash's shoulder.

Just before Brock could serve dinner, a rustle in the grass got the three travelers' attention. [What was that?] the rotund blue mouse asked.

"I'll take a look, okay?" Ash assured the second mouse creature as he climbed over a rock to look through a bush on the west end of the camp.

He gasped when he peeked through the bush and noticed a majestic blue and white cat creature with a flowing purple mane approaching a nearby stream. As Misty and Brock joined him in gawking at the beautiful Pokemon, he fumbled for a small red device in his pocket, and flipped it open.

"Suicune, the aurora Pokemon. This Pokemon races across the land. It is said that north winds will somehow blow whenever it appears." the device explained in a male robotic voice. Sure enough, a light breeze from the north started blowing as the Suicune lapped at the stream's water, oblivious to the three humans, the Pikachu, and the Marill staring at it in awe.

Once he had had his fill of water, the Suicune tossed his mane and raced away. "Hey, wait!" Ash tried calling after it, but the Suicune was now only a shining blue speck in the distance. "It's gone..."

"It's not the end of the world if you missed a chance to ask the Suicune what it was doing here." Brock assured his dejected companion. "We have a whole region to explore, so I'm sure you'll see Suicune again."

"Speaking of the three Beasts, don't you know some stories that feature them?" Misty asked, changing the subject as the three travelers returned to the campfire.

"I do, actually...I'll let you guys hear one over dinner." Brock offered as he started spooning the chili he had made for his companions into bowls, then spread out an array of Berries for the Pikachu and the Marill to enjoy....
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 02-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

Episode 1: New Friends, New Foes

[It took some doing, but I got Misty back in a good mood.] Ami smiled as she walked alongside her master.

"That's good." Ash smiled as Tintri bounded aboard his shoulder. After the encounter with Suicune the night before, the evening had gone without incident--they had eaten dinner, while Brock had shared some of the millions of stories he had learned from books and people from around the world that had visited Pewter Gym over the years.

"So, what was the Crystal Onix?" Brock's question snapped Ash back to reality.

"Exactly what it says on the box--a special Onix with a body made out of glass crystal." Ash continued his story. "A little girl named Marissa was the one that wrote the message. She wanted to find the Crystal Onix to help her brother, Mateo, find the inspiration to make glass Pokémon statues. Mateo told us about how his grandfather discovered the Crystal Onix, and then was able to make extraordinary sculptures for years afterwards--and one of those sculptures included the Crystal Onix itself."

"I hate to interrupt the nostalgic story, but we're here." Misty interrupted, pointing out a signpost in the distance.

Brock hurried on ahead and examined the sign. "Welcome to New Bark Town--the town where winds of a new beginning blow....I'd say we're here."

"I can see why it's called that." Ash smiled as he looked out on the rooftops of the buildings and the many Cheri trees that lined the streets, sending cascades of pinkish white petals twirling to the ground. Lush green mountains loomed over the town, giving off both a sense of the familiar and something totally new.

"Wow...it's beautiful...." Misty smiled as she and Ash caught up to Brock, allowing them to see the town in the distance.

"And that huge red domed building on that hill to the west might be the local professor's lab--let's go see if he's here!" With that, Ash was moments away from dashing off towards the building until he felt a familiar hand pulling him back. "What the?"

"Easy, cowboy--I know you're excited about this whole new world we're going to see here, but first impressions still count." Brock reminded his excited companion. "So let's go there together." Ash just sighed in reply.

After making their way up the hill to the domed building, Ash balked when he saw a boy with long red hair pacing the grass near the western end of the building. "I wonder who that is?" he wondered as the boy paced back and forth, periodically looking in the windows or musing to himself.

Misty reared back at the red and black shirt the boy was wearing, complete with jeans that nearly looked purple and matching red and black shoes. "I don't know, but he looks like bad news to me!"

"So this is the famous Elm Pokemon Lab..." the boy mused before noticing Ash and the others staring at him. "What are YOU looking at, hat-boy?" he growled at Ash. "Go on! Get lost! Shoo!"

"Okay, okay, we're going..." Ash sighed before he motioned for the others to follow him inside the lab.

"I'd love to give that jerk a piece of my mind..." Misty grumbled as the group made their way inside the lab's main room, where the professor, a bespectacled young man will dull brown hair, was in the middle of speaking to a black haired boy wearing a gold and black cap, and a brown haired girl wearing a large and puffy white hat.

"...So while all three can be equally helpful to you, choosing the one best suited to your abilities will help you dramatically on your adventures." the professor explained before he noticed Ash. "So this must be the famous Ash that my colleague Professor Oak was telling me about!" he smiled. "Allow me to extend a hearty welcome to Johto to you and your friends."

"The pleasure's all mine." Ash replied before giving Dexter and his trainer card to Professor Elm to update. "These are my companions, Misty..." Misty waved hello before shepherding Ami by her side. "and Brock." Brock waved hello before leafing through a bookshelf for a guidebook of the region.

"These two are Ethan and Lyra--they're about ready to leave on their own journeys." Professor Elm went on. "It may be a good idea for the three of you to share your experiences so they know what to expect on their travels."

"Well, for one thing, never leave a bike unattended around an electric type!" Misty began.

Everyone roared with laughter as Ash turned beet red with embarrassment. She has no idea of how many lawns I had to mow and how many times I had to clean the bathroom to pay her back...

"Second of all, know thy type chart and know it well." Brock added as he finally pulled a suitable guidebook from the bookshelf.

"And third, if you run into a boy and a girl in white garb with red R's on them and a talking Meowth, run FAR away in the other direction!" Ash warned. "They'll steal any Pokemon they can get their hands on, and are STILL chasing me for my Pikachu!"

"Believe me, we heard about Team Rocket and the Mewtwo incident." Ethan assured Ash. "But we'll keep our eyes peeled for those goons anyway."

"They've chased you across Kanto?" Lyra gasped. "That's dedication...but don't worry--they won't find you here."

"Now then...shall we let you two choose your starters?" Prof. Elm offered as he led Ethan, Lyra, and the group over to a platform where a green creature with a leaf on its head, a tiny porcupine creature with flaming quills, and a small blue alligator creature milled about on a platform.

"Aw!" Lyra gasped when she saw the green creature. "I want this one!"

"Chikorita...good choice." Prof. Elm smiled as he watched Lyra cuddle with the Chikorita.

Piqued, Ash decided to read up on the tiny leaf creature:

"Chikorita, the leaf Pokemon. Its pleasantly aromatic leaves have the ability to check humidity and temperature." Dexter explained as Prof. Elm left Lyra a Pokedex of her own and a string of five Poke Balls, not wanting to interrupt the intimate moment between trainer and Pokemon.

"I'll call you..." Lyra thought for a moment for a suitable name for her new Chikorita. "Hana!"

"Good choice..." Brock smiled. "and a very appropriate one should it evolve to its final form, since it means 'flower'."

He was about to show Lyra a picture in the guidebook when Lyra politely waved him away. "Um, that's okay! I want to see all Hana's forms for myself."

Just then, a huge crash surprised everyone. "What was that?" Ethan gasped before looking towards the door and gasping.

Ethan's gasp spurred Ash to look towards the doorway--only to find the same red haired boy he had encountered before!

Professor Elm was equally horrified by the boy's appearance. "Kamon...I thought I said you were not leaving on a journey this year! Not until you learned to treat Pokemon with respect!"

"Pfft...who cares about respect?" Kamon replied as he sauntered into the room, making Hana shudder in fear as he approached the table with the two remaining Pokemon. "If this is the only day I can get a Pokemon, then I'm gonna get one!"

The porcupine creature angrily displayed its fiery quills as Kamon reached out for it, making him reconsider. The alligator creature growled as Kamon's hand approached it. "Feisty little guy, aren't we?" Kamon sneered as he reached to take the tiny blue alligator in his arms.

"Kamon, no! I wanted Totodile!" Ethan pleaded. "Besides, if the professor said you couldn't have a Pokemon this year, that's a rule!"

"So? Rules were made to be broken." Kamon chuckled before grabbing the Totodile and bolting for the door.

"After him!" Lyra called as she heard the Totodile's fearful squawk.

As Ash, Misty and Brock followed Lyra down the path, Ash silently hoped that they could catch the red haired delinquent and give Ethan the Pokemon he had wanted...

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-31-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

Episode 2: Put Down the 'Dile

Ash fumed with anger as he eyed the red haired boy carrying the panicked Totodile. Kamon...we may have just met, but we've already started off on the wrong foot by your so brazenly stealing a Pokemon that was very clearly meant for someone else; plus openly defying the professor!

As the group rounded a corner, Ash spotted a police alarm on a pole and pressed it as he ran by. So now I'm gonna have you answer for your crimes!

The group eventually cornered Kamon and the Totodile inside a garden in the town square, where Kamon's only escape route was out the way they had entered. "You've got nowhere to go now..." Misty warned as she approached Kamon. "So will you give back the Totodile, or what?"

"You and what army, sweetheart?" Kamon replied with a huff as he struggled to keep a grip on the squirming Totodile in his arms.

"Me and THIS army!" Misty replied as she heaved all four of her Poke Balls skyward, summoning Ami, a muscular blue duck Pokemon, a blue seahorse Pokemon with spikes on its back, and a purple starfish Pokemon with a red jewel as its core.

"Nice, a fan of Water Pokemon." Kamon smiled. "I suppose you want this one back because you wanna add it to your collection?"

"No--I want it back because it was promised to a friend before you decided to swipe him, and I intend to bring him back to his rightful trainer." Misty replied.

"And if I don't?" Kamon shot back.

"I have backup." Misty confidently grinned as Tintri charged an angry spark. "I also have a user of a Mega Ring with Z Crystals inside, who can call forth a powerful attack just by his Heart Song, not just Mega Evolve Pokemon."

"Oh look, Squinty-eyes is gonna cast a spell on me...I'm so scared." Kamon sarcastically replied, moments before the Totodile bit his finger. "YIPE!!!"

"Mr. Totodile's had enough of your attitude, I'd wager." Brock began as Kamon winced at his throbbing finger that was beginning to slightly bleed.

With that, he held his Mega Ring to the sky and sang Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... making a green crystal in the circle of crystals surrounding the emerald in the ring glow.

"GAH!!!" Kamon yelped as he was surrounded in a torrent of red rose petals, forcing him to drop the Totodile. The Totodile wasted no time running into Ash's arms, enthralled by the swirling red tornado its captor was trapped inside.

When the rose tornado dissipated some moments later, Kamon spat out a few stray petals. "First of all, what in Arceus' name did you just do?"

"Easy--I invoked a Z Crystal on my Mega Ring." Brock replied, showing Kamon his Mega Ring, a gold ring with an emerald surrounded by a rainbow of crystals sandwiched between ivy inlays. "This way I or a Pokemon of mine can use a powerful attack when the chips are down, or I can command my Pokemon to evolve to an even more powerful form, albeit temporarily."

Kamon just brushed off more rose petals. "Okay, fine...you can have the Totodile back. But next time we meet, don't think a magic spell's gonna save you!" With that, he climbed over the garden's northernmost wall and hurried off into the crowds of people, oblivious to the wailing siren approaching where he had been moments before.

Officer Jenny arrived moments later. "We received your report of a kidnapped Pokemon here, but it appears the culprit got away."

"The perp was a boy with long red hair." Ash explained as Misty shot Brock a warning glance. "He had on a red and black shirt, with jeans that nearly looked purple, and matching red and black shoes."

"All right...is there anything else you can tell me about our suspect?" Officer Jenny asked as she wrote down Ash's description of Kamon. "Such as if you've seen him elsewhere or what his name was?"

"His name was Kamon, Officer." Misty replied. "We found him hanging around Prof. Elm's lab not long after he arrived in town."

"Let's go back to the lab, and see what we can learn from the scene of the crime." Officer Jenny suggested. "I'll meet you three there."

---------

"I can't even begin to thank you for saving the Totodile I was going to give Ethan..." Prof. Elm smiled as Officer Jenny dusted the lab for fingerprints. "How can I ever repay you?"

Brock, meanwhile, was more interested in Officer Jenny. "I may have cornered a perp or three in my day, but maybe you can help me find my stolen heart--!"

This was as far as he got before Misty's Seadra sprayed him, much to Ethan and Lyra's delight. [That will be QUITE enough, loverboy!] she scolded as one of Prof. Elm's assistants gave Brock a towel to dry off.

"Thanks, Spritz--I didn't even have to drag him away this time!" Misty smiled as she hugged her Seadra.

"Well, what's important is the Totodile is safe and sound." Prof. Elm grinned as he gently placed the Totodile in Ethan's arms.

"Yes, that's always a good thing." Officer Jenny agreed before turning to leave. "Thank you all for pitching in with the investigation--we'll do whatever it takes to bring the punk that snatched this Totodile to justice."

"Thank goodness the Totodile's okay..." Lyra smiled. "You'd make a much better master for him than that red haired jerk."

Ethan grinned at Ash. "Thank you so much for rescuing Totodile for me--how can I ever repay you?"

"Just promise me this--that you will take good care of him and train him well." Ash replied as he and Ethan embraced as friends.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    This is an interesting idea, and I'm curious to see where you go with this (also excited to see Heracross come in!).

At first I was really confused as to who Ami and Tintri were (and which was which). I think that should have had a bit of explanation rather than just saying the names (if this is related to another story, I haven't read it, so a brief bit explaining it would be good).

I liked the description of the town. I think some parts could use more description, such as when the totodile was stolen. You could also put more description into the actions of the pokemon, which will also give them more personality.

Interesting that the crystal onix was mentioned. I wonder what role that will play in the story. I was also surprised that mega evolution was a part of this. I think you should have the story explain how and why they have that.

Your spelling and grammar was good and I didn't see any typos or any really weirdly worded parts. And you seem to write a lot of stories here. Keep it up!

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf--If you're curious, Tintri is Ash's Pikachu, and Ami is Misty's Marill (a new character for this story)

Unfortunately, Heracross was one of the Pokemon I had to cut while planning the story, as that episode would mean having to introduce Team Rocket when I had a very specific place I wanted to put them (Azelea Town, as they do in the games--so enjoy the Jessie and James appearances when they do happen, because they're not going to be appearing constantly.)

I will admit description is one of my weak points, but part of my problem is where to strike a balance between too much and too little. As for the Pokemon getting personality, that is coming, don't worry.

I put the Crystal Onix reference because I figured Ash would want to tell Brock about his adventures in the Orange Islands, and decided this would be the perfect anecdote to tell. It has no real significance barring an attempt to establish a friendship.

I do have an explanation for why Mega Evolution and Gen 7 mechanics are in Johto, but that's not until a little later on (around Ecruteak City)

Senior Moderator

Episode 3: Stepping Up to the Plate

The trio departed New Bark Town the next morning in high spirits. "I'm glad that Ethan finally got his Totodile." Ash smiled. "But I still wonder--why did Kamon want him?"

"Some people are just naturally punks out to make trouble." Brock sighed. "Kamon might be one of those people."

"You have to admit, that Cyndaquil was so brave!" Misty smiled. "But I wonder what would've happened if Kamon had snatched Hana and made Lyra panic?"

[Speaking of Chikoritas, look over there.] Tintri interrupted, pointing out a grassy spot by the roadside.

"Okay, team! In order to win the Capture the Flag event, you all need to work together!" a female voice explained as Ash carefully tiptoed up to a bush and peeked through it, where he could see a purple haired girl in a yellow and black pinstripe outfit addressing a Chikorita, a small brown bird Pokemon with a pink beak, and a tiny purple rat Pokemon. "Camden! You naturally have the advantage at this event due to your wings. Fenway! You can run fast on the ground, and speed is key to finding the flags. But I especially wanna work with you today, Wrigley..." the girl smiled as she knelt down to pet the Chikorita. "You may not be able to run fast, but you can power past our rivals!"

"Um, forgive me for interrupting, but what's going on?" Ash asked as he climbed through the bush to join the girl and her three Pokemon on the field.

"We're training for the Pokethlon--an athletic competition just for Pokemon." the girl explained. "Name's Casey--I've dreamed of Pokethlon glory since I was little."

"Sounds like fun!" Ash smiled. "I'm Ash...and these are my friends Misty and Brock." he smiled as Misty and Brock joined him on the field.

"Today my team and I are practicing the Capture the Flag Pokethlon event." Casey explained as she gestured to the rainbow of flags hidden under rocks, in tree hollows, in bushes, and buried in the grass. "The object of the event is to find as many of the flags hidden around the course as you can--either one Pokemon can do it alone, or a team of three can do it together. Since this is just practice, I'm having each of my Pokemon make an individual run on my makeshift course first."

She balked when she looked in her bag. "Great...I forgot my stopwatch and my whistle..."

"Here--my Pokenav has a stopwatch app." Misty offered.

"I've got a whistle..." Brock offered before retrieving his own referee's whistle from his bag and hanging it around his neck.

Casey grinned. "Nice, a Kanto Screamer! Those are some of the best whistles for outdoor competition. But the Pokethlon isn't just for competing on the land--there are also water and aerial courses, too."

"Really?" Misty gasped, her eyes sparkling over the thought of her Pokemon competing in a water Pokethlon. "Where do I sign up?"

"The main stadium is nearby the National Park, not far from Goldenrod City." Casey went on. "Once you sign up, you can compete at any stadium. The winners receive medals akin to the Olympics, and those that earn eight medallions earn the right to compete in the Grand Pokethlon during the Pokemon League."

She turned business-like again. "So...let's see how Wrigley does on my makeshift course."

"Okay!" Brock announced. "Ready? Set?"

The whistle echoed through the trees as Wrigley dashed from hollow, to rock, to bush, picking up each of the flags her master had hidden as she circled around the field, only pausing to drop the flags at her master's feet when she had gathered them all.

"One minute and forty-eight seconds." Misty announced as she showed Casey Wrigley's time.

"Not bad, Wrigley." Casey petted her Chikorita before gathering up the flags. "Got any swift runners on your team, Ash?"

"Well, I've got my Pikachu Tintri, but I don't think he's that fast..." Ash stammered.

"I'll hide the flags in the same places, and see if your Pikachu does any better than Wrigley." Casey offered. "Even if he wins by one second!" she called as she hurried off to hide the flags again.

Ash drew a line in the grass to serve as a starting line. "Remember, you need to beat a minute and forty-eight seconds." he reminded Tintri.

[Not too shabby for a Chikorita, but I think I can beat that!] Tintri grinned as Casey returned.

Brock waited for Misty to reset the stopwatch, then announced "Ready? Set?" before blowing the whistle again, spurring Tintri to race through the grass.

He found the first one buried in the grass, then retrieved the second one sticking out from a bush. The first hollow he checked was empty, but found the third flag under a nearby rock. He circled around to a log and grabbed the fourth flag from inside before finding the fifth flag in a dusty pit. After jumping over the tiny pit, he found the sixth flag in a bush near another hollow tree, and the last flag beneath a rock before hurrying back to the line.

Misty studied the stopwatch. "One minute and thirty-five seconds!"

"Wow!" Casey gasped. "Almost 13 seconds off Wrigley's time! What's your secret?"

"There is no secret..." a familiar male voice interrupted. "Ash only won because he cheated."

"WHAT???" Casey gasped in horror at what the voice had said.

Misty looked up to see Kamon perched in a tree overlooking the field. "How dare you suggest Ash is cheating?" she growled.

"Easy--having seen the course before, Ash knew where all the flags were, and told his Pikachu their locations before making his run." Kamon explained. "Simple as that!"

"Now, wait just a minute!" Ash protested. "I did no such thing! Tintri ran the course without me telling him anything!"

"Are you sure?" Casey asked, a stern look on her face.

A whistle silenced the impending argument. "Everyone, please!" Brock pleaded. "Rather than arguing over what Ash did or did not do to allow Tintri to finish with a faster time, I have a simple solution--have Tintri and Wrigley run the exact same course at the same time. If Tintri finishes within ten seconds of Wrigley, he ran the course fair and square. If Tintri finishes with a higher margin than that, then we have a case that he may have cheated, or Wrigley was just plain overmatched."

"Sounds fair to me." Casey replied.

"All right then..." Brock replied before waiting for Misty to reset the stopwatch. "Pokemon! Take your mark!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Haha, imagining the pokemon running to get the flags is really cute. x3 I've always liked chikorita. I think you did pretty good with description on this one, but I think it could still use a bit more. Even just a little detail here and there would add a bit more to it, I think. Stupid Kamon, why does he have to butt into their business? Though it will be interesting to see how the race turns out. I figure pikachu will win due to speed, but I guess we'll see.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf--Kamon essentially replaces Team Rocket in the episode (since I don't want them showing up till Azalea Town)

Capture the Flag is based on the pennant chase in the real Pokethlon seen in HG/SS (and I felt this would be appropriate based on Casey's baseball theme--you'll notice I named her Pokemon after three famous ballparks. (Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, and Camden Yards)

As for whether Ash will defend his honor--you'll have to find out tomorrow!
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 08-10-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 4: A Home Run for Honor

"Okay, everyone..." Brock explained as he addressed Ash and Casey on the ground, as well as Kamon, who was still relaxed in the tree that overlooked the field. "We're going to have Wrigley and Tintri run the pennant race at the same time, using the exact same course both Pokemon ran separately before."

He then started over to where the first flag was buried in the grass. "Both competitors will have to keep an eye out for flags in the grass..." He then walked over to where the second flag was sticking out from a bush. "under rocks..." He gestured to the third flag hidden under a nearby rock. "in logs and tree hollows..." He circled around a log and pointed out the fourth flag hidden inside. "in pits..." He pointed out the fifth flag in a dusty pit. After carefully stepping over the tiny pit, he pointed out the sixth flag in a bush near another hollow tree. "in bushes..." He then made his way back to the line. "...before coming back around to the line."

He then addressed the two trainers. "If there is a large advantage between either competitor, there may be grounds that one of them got that advantage unfairly. If both Pokemon finish within a ten second difference of each other, Tintri ran the course fairly. Any questions or concerns before we begin the race?"

"No." Ash replied.

"That's fair to me." Casey smiled.

"What about you, birdwatcher?" Brock grinned at Kamon, who was sprawled in a makeshift hammock in the tree branches.

"Your proposed rules are fair." was all Kamon had to say, although he bristled at being called a birdwatcher. Mr. Referee's a little wordy, though--I managed to gather the materials for and make this hammock in the time it took to explain the course!

"Pokemon? Are you two ready?" Brock asked Wrigley and Tintri.

[Yeah!] Tintri replied.

[I'm ready!] Wrigley replied.

"All right...is the time keeper ready?" Brock glanced over at Misty.

"I have the clock set to stop when the first competitor crosses the line, but not stop completely until the other crosses the line." Misty explained. "That way we can see the difference in both times."

She set the stopwatch to zero. "On your whistle, Brock."

"Okay! On your marks...get set..." Brock announced before blowing his whistle, sending the Pikachu and the Chikorita tearing through the grass in search of the colored flags once again.

Tintri easily found the red flag in the grass, but Wrigley powered past him and snatched the orange flag in the bush. She's quick... Tintri thought as he grabbed the yellow flag from the rock. I don't know if she's trained ever since she was caught, or has natural talent, but she loves to do this, and knows what she is doing.

He balked as Wrigley easy retrieved the fourth flag from the log. Wow...I thought she would struggle there, but I guess running every day does slim you down. he thought as he jumped over the small dusty pit, retrieving the flag on the way.

Try as Wrigley might to reach the blue flag, the wind from Tintri's jump knocked her backwards, but she recovered enough to catch up to him near the bush with the sixth flag. I know my Jump stat isn't the best, and we've been pretty close in the race so far, but something tells me the red headed boy was lying, and the Pikachu didn't cheat at all!

She effortlessly grabbed the last two flags before both Pokemon raced neck and neck towards the line, to the cheers of their human masters as Tintri just barely edged Wrigley to win.

"All right...what's the time difference?" Brock asked Misty as Ash and Casey hurried to tend to their exhausted Pokemon.

"There's a second and a half difference between Tintri and Wrigley." Misty reported. "A minute and forty-six seconds for Tintri against a minute and forty-eight for Wrigley."

"So that means Tintri ran the course fair and square all along!" Brock announced, to Ash's and Tintri's cheers.

Kamon just balked as he gathered up his hammock and climbed down from the tree. And hat-boy does it again...is he one of those do-no-wrong types, or something? he grumbled before starting off down the path. There's something about him...I don't know what, but I'm gonna find out!

Back in the field, Casey addressed Ash. "Ash...I'm sorry I accused you of cheating. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"Yeah...it was all Kamon's plot to rile us up all along." Ash smiled. "Besides, a Pokemon Master never cheats!"

"Speaking of Kamon, I think he's disappeared..." Brock noted when he saw that the tree Kamon was in moments earlier was empty.

"Couldn't handle being exposed as the real cheater, could he?" Casey grinned before addressing Ash. "Besides, you don't look like the type to cheat anyway."

"You'll have to tell me when the Pokethlon is gonna be--I'd come cheer both you and Misty on!" Ash smiled. "That is, if the land and water events don't happen at the same time."

Everyone laughed at this. "And you can come referee any time you want!" Casey smiled at Brock. "I'd know your Kanto Screamer anywhere."

Brock blushed a little, but replied "I believe you and Wrigley both will be great Pokethletes--since Misty's gonna be competing on the water track, you two just might compete in the Grand Pokethlon together."

With that, Misty and Casey linked pinky fingers. "Let's strive to reach the Grand Pokethlon together!"

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 08-13-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 5: A Land of Illusion

"You'd think we could do something besides look around the roadside..." Ash sighed as the group trudged down the road. It had been a few days since they had met the aspiring Pokethlete Casey, and they were nowhere near Violet City, much less civilization. There was also catching up to the red haired delinquent Kamon and demanding for him to tell them why he had snatched Ethan's Totodile despite being told he was not to leave on a journey, and an explanation into why he had accused Ash of cheating.

"Hate to break it to you, but the map says the nearest town is two days away." Brock replied, making Ash and Misty groan at the prospect of more walking. "But if you're bored, we could sing a song!"

With that, he belted out I liked to play my old guitar
    And place it on my knee,
    But then the strings got all broken
    And it was no good to me.

So I took it to the music shop
    To see what they could do
    And now my strings are good as new
    and I can play for you-oh!

I liked to play my old guitar
    And place it on my knee,
    But then the strings got all broken
    And it was no good to me....
    Misty and Ash joined in.

So I took it to the music shop
    To see what they could do
    And now my strings are good as new
    and I can play for you-oh!

The song continued with gusto for several miles, with Brock beginning another rendition as soon as the previous one ended. But after a few repetitions, the song was beginning to grate on Misty's nerves. "Okay, can we sing about something other than old guitars?" she asked.

"Sure!" Brock then sang When I went down to the western port to buy an old chemise
    The first thing I picked up in my hand I found it full of fleas...

Laughter and "ew"s rang through the air as Brock continued How much do you want for that old thing, Eighteen coins says she
    Eighteen coins for that old thing, do you think I am a fool-oh?

Kitty pallalla pallalla pall-lie, kitty pallalla pall-lie-lo
    Kitty pallalla pallalla pall-lie, me whack follol le nai-do...

He eagerly started the second verse, but stopped when he spotted a signpost in the distance. So I took it home...and... I washed it out, and hung it...up..to...dry...

"What's the matter?" Misty asked as she and Ash caught up to Brock. "I wanted to hear more about that rotted old chemise!"

Brock studied the signpost for a moment. "Warning, Forest of Illusion ahead. It's dangerous to go alone."

"Someone's been playing too many video games!" Ash declared. "How dangerous could one forest be?"

"Plenty--there's bugs, and wild Pokemon, and huge tree roots to trip over..." Misty replied, counting the hazards on her fingers.

"Not to mention will-o-wisps, old witches that eat people, and giants." Brock added, but trailed off when he saw Ash running on ahead. "Too late..."

"Ash, wait for us!" Misty called as she and Brock hurried to catch up to Ash.

---------

"Strange...we've been walking around in circles for the last hour..." Brock sighed as the group returned to where they had started for the sixth time that afternoon. "Maybe whoever wrote that sign wasn't kidding when they said this place was called the Forest of Illusion..."

"Haven't you guys ever played Super Mario World?" Ash grinned. "All we have to do is find a secret exit, and we'll be out of here in no time flat!"

"We'll be spending the night here in no time flat at this rate!" Misty grumbled as she followed Ash down another forest path.

Just then a howl got Misty's attention. "That wasn't a were-Mightyena, was it?"

"It's not even nighttime, Misty." Brock assured his jittery companion. "It's not even a full m--WAUGH!' he yelped when he appeared to see a spooky face on a tree!

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!" Misty screeched as she saw another spooky face on a tree near her. "The forest is alive!"

"RUN!" Ash called, motioning for the group to follow him as they tried to escape the spooky trees, only to find more spooky faced trees, rocks, and plants at every turn.

Just as they rounded the corner to regroup, a red aura flashed through the forest, making everything return to normal. "Everyone okay?" Brock asked as the group collected their bearings.

"I wanna know what that flash was..." Ash replied as he brushed some dust from his shirt and picked some burrs stuck to his vest.

"That was a Foresight attack, Ash." a familiar voice replied. "There is a reason why this place is called the Forest of Illusion--that howl and all those spooky faces? All illusions."

Ash's sense of relief turned to annoyance when he saw who had spoken emerge from a bush--Gary! Piqued, he took out Dexter to read up on the small brown owl Pokemon at Gary's side:

"Hoothoot, the owl Pokémon. It stands on one leg, but uses both its powerful eyes to see clearly even through the darkest night. Dexter explained.

"That includes seeing through what is an illusion." Gary went on. "The sign at the forest entrance wasn't kidding when it said it was dangerous to go alone--so what made you think you could?"

"And here you were saying it was just a video game..." Misty smirked, making Ash sweatdrop with embarrassment.

"At any rate, you're gonna need a Hoothoot to get out of here in one piece and chase after that red haired punk you're chasing." Gary smiled. "Last I checked, he was stuck in this forest too."

"Okay, Mr. Know it all, where can we find a Hoothoot?" Ash challenged.

Gary pointed down a path to the south. "Just follow that path due south, and you'll find the house of the old hag that rents'em out. Once you make it out, they find their way back to her."

"Thanks, we think..." Ash stammered--this was the first time in a long time that he remembered Gary being nice to him.

"Anytime--even rivals have to look out for each other." Gary grinned. "Until then, smell ya later!" With that, he departed with his Hoothoot in tow.

Brock sighed. "Come on, guys...let's head south."

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 08-13-2016 at 11:22 PM.