Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Xie Jade
    Shaymin Gijinka
    Vault 110

Someone... someone was speaking to her. Who was it though? Were they gijinka? Was anyone gijinka anymore? Or was everyone one of those monsters? Xie opened her eyes a little and Taylor came into focus.

"Hm? Did you say something?" she asked quietly, her body's nerves going crazy from post cryogenic pains. She mentally scolded herself for forgetting about such effects but at the same time she couldn't blame herself entirely. She had been somewhat out of it coming too, it was to be expected.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Martin Vickers
    Pachirisu Gijinka
    Sunnydale Town

Sleeping out in the open using only a pile of newspapers wasn't something Martin had been used to. He barely slept at all during the days he had spent in the ruins of Sunnydale Town, but he did manage to find and kill a few mutated Pidgey and Rattata. The idea of eating these kinds of Pokémon wasn't pleasant, but it was necessary. As the days passed on, it was getting easier and the thought of it bothered him less and less.

He had built up some makeshift cooking equipment, using broken wood piles from fire and a metal ventilation grate as a grill. He hated to admit it, but the cooked meat from a Pidgey and from a Rattata actually tasted good. And it was keeping him alive in these desperate times.

Days were spent scavenging for anything of value. Martin found he had better luck when he dug through piles and moved rubble away from areas. Things that weren't already claimed by other scavengers before him hadn't been found yet, including gold jewelry, electronic equipment, and even a shotgun that seemed to still be in serviceable condition. And he was hoping someone would like these in exchange for helping him with his EvoTox problem. As the days passed, he knew his time was running out.

And he could feel it. He had to take what he had now and find any scientist or doctor he could. The chances of him being able to find everything he needed were very slim, if even such a cure existed, but he was not going to give up easily. With Sunnydale Town behind him, he left and headed out further into the wasteland, trying to find anyone or any town he could.

Several miles into his walking, he came across two members of a caravan, along with a team of two-headed Tauros, pulling a large wagon of supplies. Martin had approached them, not sure if they would be able to help, but it was definitely worth a try.

"Hello there," Martin called out to the caravaners. "Maybe you could help me?"

"Depends," the older male in his 70s told him. "Have anything to trade for caps?"

"I do, but I also need directions," Martin told him. "Are there any towns around here that have a doctor or a scientific researcher?"

In truth, it wouldn't be the first time the caravaner had run into someone in need of medical help. He didn't see anything wrong with Martin and the only injuries he had were minor scratches from encounters with wild Pidgey and Rattata, but it wasn't really his business asking.

"If you head north and follow the road, it'll take you to Rustwall," the older man told Martin. "They have a few people skilled with medicine. Not sure about researchers, but you could ask around. Now then, you said you had something to trade?"

"Right here," Martin told him, taking out the jewelry and the shotgun he found earlier. "I'm sure you know someone who would like some of this."

The older man looked it over, trying to act unimpressed. Bartering was a game of poker faces and acting. He couldn't appear to be impressed at the merchandise of others. It helped him get a much better price if he pretended to act like he wasn't interested. A desperate customer might just give their bartering items away if they badly needed the money or wanted something else in exchange.

"People don't need jewelry these days," the older caravaner told him. "Food, water, and medical supplies are way more in demand. As for the shotgun, does it even still work?"

"Oh, I'm sure someone rich would love this jewelry," Martin smiled, not falling for the older man's ploy. "It's been made and sought after throughout all of history! That never changed! As for the shotgun, take a closer look! All intact, all parts there, and it hasn't been fired since it was last cleaned."

While Martin was fresh out of the vault, that didn't mean he didn't know how to secure a good deal.

Taylor
    Ditto Gijinka
    Vault 82
    Right out side a town
    Affected RPers: @Noblejanobii

"Are you alright?" he asked again noticing she was showing symptoms of someone who had been frozen. "Here's some water your dehydrated, there should be a doctor with supplies in this town. All I have is what I brought with me, do you think you can stand? I can support you if needed," he told her figuring out what she might need.

Senior Administrator

Martin Vickers
    Pachirisu Gijinka
    Rustwall City

The old man wasn't able to fool Martin, and as a result, Martin was able to negotiate a decent price for the things he had spent the last few days searching for. Martin felt he might regret forking over the shotgun, but he didn't have the shells for it anyway.

In almost a sprint, Martin made his way to Rustwall City, where, as the name implied, the makeshift city was surrounded by a fortification of metal walls that had seen better days. It would be enough to guard against small raider attacks, but anything more might be a problem. In the meantime, the city walls were patrolled by armed guards. They weren't too vigilant, especially with no real threats visible in the distance, but he knew within a few seconds, if something was spotted, they would have the time to prepare defenses.

They had spotted Martin when he arrived by the city entrance. They hadn't seen the newcomer before, so they did become more alert.

"You there!" one of the female guards shouted to him from the wall. "Who might you be?"

"Name's Martin," he politely replied. "I need a doctor. Is there one in your town?"

She seemed a little skeptical of the Pachirisu gijinka at first, but seeing as how he wasn't well-armed and didn't seem like the kind that would cause trouble, she decided it wouldn't be a problem to let him inside.

"You can talk to Dr. Morgan," she told him. "But keep that pistol holstered. We don't want any trouble. Unless you're attacked first, weapons are only to be used in self-defense."

"Understood," Martin nodded with a smile. "Thanks so much."

She nodded, and Martin made his way into the gates. After walking through the city made of rusty metal, he didn't see any shame in asking for directions from the locals, and eventually he did find his way to Dr. Morgan's medical office. Martin knocked politely, hoping he could get the help he needed here and that he had enough caps to pay for the necessary treatment. It seemed a bit doubtful that Dr. Morgan would have the exact cure, but he figured he could at least try. It was possible that he might know of someone else who did have what he needed elsewhere.

"Come in," he heard a stern voice reply from behind the door.

Martin calmly entered, and came before a black man in his late 40s, bald, with black-rimmed glasses. He hadn't seen Martin before, so unlike his usual patients, he was curious as to what Martin needed him for.

"You're Doctor Morgan?" Martin asked him before getting a nod of confirmation. "My name is Martin. Martin Vickers. I have... a problem with an FEV mutagen I was injected with. It's called EvoTox."

"EvoTox?" Dr. Morgan asked, having never heard of it before. "I don't know of any mutagen specifically called EvoTox, but I do know of FEVs. Come on over."

In truth, Dr. Morgan did have several patients in the past with FEV-related mutagens, but nothing with a strain like this. After Martin emptied his pockets and bags of all the available caps he had on hand, it wasn't precisely the amount that the doctor was hoping for, but he was willing to settle with it. FEV-treatment opportunities were not common at all and it would give him an opportunity to try a trial antigen if the blood test results came back ideal for testing.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Xie Jade
    Shaymin Gijinka
    Vault 110
    Affected Rpers: @Flowey

Xie coughed a little and drank some of the water as it was given to her. She was very appreciative of this gijinka's efforts to help her despite them not knowing her at all. She frowned at his questions, unsure if he would understand or believe her when she would describe her situation, but she saw no reason to hide it.

"I just left a cryogenic freezing maybe less than a day ago if I had to guesstimate, but I was not properly treated for exit so my body is currently suffering the freezing effects. If I had to guess my muscles are seizing up as a result. I think seeing a doctor would be best to treat my conditions. As for standing, that's a maybe at best."
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Martin Vickers
    Pachirisu Gijinka
    Doctor Morgan's Medical Office, Rustwall City

Doctor Morgan hated giving bad news, but after running several blood tests and examining the nature of the FEV in Martin's genes, the situation looked terrible and he only had one prognosis.

"I can't stop the EvoTox FEV from taking effect," Doctor Morgan told the Pachirisu Gijinka. "This is an advanced mutagen that's been working its way into your genes for many years. There is no way to reverse it or undo it."

"I... it's okay," Martin replied, looking pale but still trying to force a polite smile. "Thanks for trying."

Doctor Morgan had recalled Martin's descriptions of what happened in Vault 62, and they seemed to match with the medical findings he had uncovered after the lab tests and analysis. But something came to mind that made it possible he could try to direct exactly how the mutation would turn out. Instead of becoming one of the freakish monsters that had been let loose in Vault 62, he did have a directive chemical agent that could at least guild Martin's upcoming mutations toward a more comfortable outcome, an outcome that had taken place among a few of Martin's peers.

"The mutations will be taking effect sometime in the weeks to come," Doctor Morgan told him. "What I can do is administer a vaccine of gene directive that will at least annul the more... unfavorable outcomes. Instead of becoming a violent mutant like some of your fellow vault-dwellers did, you'll at least be part of the group that instead became fully Pokémon."

"You mean... this would change me entirely into a Pachirisu?" Martin asked, looking a little anxious.

"It's the best I can do," he replied, still feeling a ping of regret there wasn't more he could have done to stop the mutation entirely. "My precursory medical analysis of your genes in response to the vaccine states that after post-mutation, you'll retain most of your memories at first, but you may find yourself succumbing to more animalistic instincts akin to that of a naturally born Pachirisu. As time goes on, your memories may start to fade and in time, you may begin to think you were never a giinka or anything besides a Pachirisu in the first place."

"Oh no..." Martin replied with anxiety. "How am I supposed to live like that!?"

The initial shock of it was overwhelming to Martin. In just a few weeks, he was going to end up entirely like the electric squirrel Pokémon, and he simply didn't have any kind of solution to it. Still, there was nothing he could do.

"I wish I had better news to give you," Doctor Morgan told him. "At least it isn't fatal."

"I guess that's true..." Martin replied. "Let's... okay, let's just do it. I'd rather have this than become some destructive mutant."

Doctor Morgan felt he made the right choice, though in his situation, he wouldn't know what to think. EvoTox FEV was not something he had seen before, but the samples and research would prove valuable to the scientific community still trying to thrive and rebuild in the wasteland.

Taylor
    Ditto Gijinka
    Vault 82
    Heading towards a town
    Affected Rpers: @Noblejanobii

Taylor nodded, "that would explain your symptoms. Any idea on how long you were frozen?" He asked her as he helped her to her feet. Taylor was wondering why Vault-Tec would freeze people and not have someone there to help thaw the dwellers. Then again the people in his vault were inbreeding to extinction. Were other vaults like theirs?

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Xie Jade
    Shaymin Gijinka
    Vault 110
    Heading towards a town
    Affected Rpers: @Flowey

Xie pondered the question carefully. It had occurred to her that she had no idea how much time had transpired between her initial freezing and her release. The only time stamp information she had was that Terri had been released a few months before she had. Though, if it was anything to go by, the landscape had certainly changed since she had last seen it. But Xie doubted a short glimpse into the world was worth any salt.

"I don't really know. All I know is, the last person unfrozen was released months ago. I was also the last living occupant. Everyone else from my vault either died or was released. No idea how long ago that happened though. Most of the computers in my vault were dead and the ones that weren't didn't have much information on them for me together. In addition, I was born in the vault so I don't really have a good grasp as to what the world looked like prior to my freezing. I got a short glimpse of the outside but the image is so fuzzy in my brain and it only lasted a few seconds that I doubt what I saw is an accurate time stamp."
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Martin Vickers
    Pachirisu Gijinka
    Rustwall City

After receiving the vaccine and paying Doctor Morgan almost all of the caps he could spare for his services, Martin spent some time alone. He only had a few weeks before the EvoTox mutation would trigger, and while Doctor Morgan had proven to be very helpful in eliminating the worst of the outcomes, it was still an inevitable occurrence that was going to change his life completely.

In only a few weeks, he would change entirely into a Pachirisu, and would have to rely on completely different survival instincts. He was hoping he would find a way to get used to it, but it would be a very different way of living that he felt he wasn't entirely prepared for. At least he wouldn't completely lose his memories at first and be prone to vicious attacking. As a normal Pachirisu, he might lose the traits and aspects that made him civilized, but at least he would still be mentally capable of knowing right from wrong and would keep most of his personality traits. He felt he might even be better off than others of his own kind as long as he remembered how most human tools and equipment functioned. However, being the victim of a predator was something he was a bit more worried about.

After seeing what had happened in Vault 62 and the results of EvoTox when it came to Patrick and the other vault-dwellers, this was something at least far better than the monsters they had become. A Pachirisu wasn't even a violent or highly-destructive Pokémon. To Martin, maybe, in some ways, it was better than being a gijinka. No one would scream at him, get angry and impatient with him, get drunk and hit him, or expect him to show up at certain times and shout at him when he couldn't. While he would miss the good things about humanity, he would be turning his back to all the ugly things as well.

He needed some time to think things over and mentally prepare himself. There was some anxiety mixed with hope. There were moments where he wish he had more time, followed by moments where he wished it would just be done and over with to get started on the next chapter of his life.

He had taken a walk outside of town, and the bleakness of the wasteland and its ruins reminded him that this was just one some trouble in a world that was full of them. It reminded him that there were two important things in life. Love. Love and survival. No matter how bad things got, everyone had to try their best to love and survive.

Taylor
    Ditto Gijinka
    Vault 82
    Heading towards a town
    Affected Rpers: @Noblejanobii

"It seems I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Taylor," he told her while taking in what she told him. "Sorry to hear they're dead, but what's your friend's name maybe we can ask around about them."