Minor Sun and Moon Spoilers do not proceed if you do not want to be spoiled on two pokemon from the new games!

A man led a group of people through a museum, words passing from his lips like a thousand times before. It was not his dream job, but it was a nice daytime activity to generate finances for his night time passion. Plus it was quite fascinating how in awe people became with the artifacts of history. A smile played on the tour guide's lips as they approached his favorite exhibit.

“And now we will see the history of the pokeball. As amazing as the technology is, the pokeball was not only around. It is only a development we’ve seen with the advent of digital technology in the past fifty years or so. Originally, pokemon were merely tamed, kept free at all times just like their wild counterparts. But eventually, as society advanced, we began to create different methods to capture and mark our pokemon, mainly through collars and the like, but it was a start. It was not until the invention of the card that we advanced in the direction of the pokeball. Now, cards are somewhat primitive. In order to capture a pokemon with them a card a specific seal must be placed on the back. Oddly enough many of them are shaped like our modern pokeball, so that is possibly where the inspiration for the pokeball’s design originated from. In addition, it appears that most cards have a label of one or two moves, an ability, HP, a type, and a preevolution if the pokemon has one. Weaknesses and levels are sometimes listed as well. However, stats such as attack and speed are completely left out. As we know now, many pokemon contained in these cards were mistyped, for example, until the later generations of cards, Dragonite was often typed as what we presume is a normal type, signified by a white ball with a black star in it. Levels are also used somewhat sparingly, and there are many terms that we are unsure of their exact meaning, such as “EX”, “Level X”, and “Retreat Cost”. Historians speculate these were all factors in an ancient style of battling that is no longer popularized. Though no one is truly sure.”

“Mr. Hughes?” The tour guide looked down to see a little boy with large brown eyes staring up at him.

“Yes?”

“Could we still use cards today, if we really wanted to?” Mr. Hughes smiled and bent down to the little boy.

“Why yes, you could. In fact, there is a very famous group of magicians that do so. The only downside is that PCs cannot register and read cards, so card users have to keep track of all of their cards. Though, in the case of the magicians, their usage of cards adds to the atmosphere of the show quite nicely, in my opinion.” A smile spread across the boy’s face and wonder filled his big eyes.

“Really?”

“Yes. You know, I happen to know that these magicians are performing in the stadium down the road tonight. Would you and your parents be interested in attending?” The young boy whirled around to his parents, who exchanged a somewhat upsetting look.

“We would love to, but we cannot afford the tickets,” the mother responded in a quiet voice.

“Nonsense!” Mr. Hughes reached into his back pocket and produced a group of three tickets. “Take mine. I already have another engagement for the evening and have been meaning to sell them. Consider it a thank you for being so engaged.” The little boy took the tickets and rushed them to his parents.

“Be careful, Logan. Let me hold onto those,” his mother requested as she took the tickets from the young boy. Mr. Hughes raised his eyebrows. Logan? He would have to keep that in mind.

“Madder!” A young man adjusted his top hat as the finishing touches to his makeup were applied

“What, Maiden?” he called back. He heard her stomp to the door, and huff loudly.

“You were late getting here! If we don’t start soon our audience will be upset for waiting so long. And we have a full house tonight! Are you even close to being ready yet?” Madder smiled and straightened his cuffs, waving away his makeup artists.

“Why yes, my dear, I am.” Madder turned around and pulled some flowers from his sleeve, holding them out to Maiden. “I just had to pick up some flowers for you before the show. I apologize. I will try not to be late again.” A red blush rushed to Maiden’s face, and she raised a white gloved hand to her cherry lips. With her other hand, Maiden gently took the flowers.

“Oh you suave magician. Well, I guess I can excuse you this time. Let’s just get into position, all right?” With that, Maiden left, the bounce of her brown curls not the only thing attracting Madder’s eyes. “Eyes on the curls,” Maiden called as she exited the room. Madder chuckled and walked over to his desk. Opening the top drawer carefully so as to not harm the carefully crafted mahogany piece, Madder reached in and pulled out a stack of cards.

“Hello, my friends,” he whispered, “ready to start the show?” Closing the drawer, Madder slid the cards into his sleeves, then exited his dressing room for the stage. He had an audience waiting, after all, and even more, he had a little boy to enchant. Stepping onto a platform backstage, Madder flicked his wrist, summoning a card to his hand. He glanced at it and smiled, his partner contained in this card. Madder lifted his eyes towards the lights as the platform began to ascend. Blues, purples, and greens flooded the arena as Madder rose. Adjusting his microphone slightly, Madder counted the seconds in his head, and right as his ascension was almost complete, the introduction began, right on cue.

“Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls of all ages! Thank you for joining us tonight at Le Cirque de la Folie! We hope you have a great time at our show tonight! Now please put your hands together as each of us introduces ourselves!” Madder could see the scene in his head. First up, a young man with a skull mask, a tall purple top hat with a pink strip across it, wearing a purple suit and holding a cane with a skull on it would emerge in the Southeast part of the ring. His short black hair would blend in with the darkness, and his dark brown skin would only add to the element of his blending into the dark. It was only through the black lights that one would be able to spot his skull and suit.

“You know, I have to say, ladies and gentlemen, we’re a very unique group of people, each known to you by our different titles. But we are also all one in the same, our love of magic and entertainment bringing us together.” The man would have finished his ascension by now. “Who am I? I am Madtheo, the Witch Doctor, here performing for you tonight with my partner Lou the Banette!” Madder could hear the cheers that greeted Madtheo and Lou, but now it was a young girl’s turn. She would be dressed in a short white dress and a long white cloak that covered her eyes. Her long black hair would stand out against the dress, but the black boots she wore would give the illusion of no legs, and the floating ball of light would further the illusion of her title.

“Good evening, boys and girls! I can say with firm certainty that tonight will be a fantastic time for all of you, and that is even without consulting my partner.” The girl giggled a little. “But we’ve got lots of magic and wonder for you! And excitement bubbles over in me like tea in a kettle when I see all the fun we will have tonight! For I am,” the girl would not rip back her hood, revealing her face and a black top hat with a red stripe. “Madonna, the Fortune Teller! And this,” the ball of light would explode into sparkles revealing the tiniest pumpkaboo the world had ever known, “is my partner, Kabobake!” A roar of cheers shook the stadium as they greeted the second performer, eyes wide with excitement and frantically trying to spot the next magician to appear. A saxophone began to play as the next performer rose from the floor. He was wearing a black suit, his hair slicked back and covered with a matching top hat with a blue stripe. His eyes were a bright green that shown well in the light, with the main focus being on the golden instrument in his hands. Twisted around the instrument and moving to the tune was a phantump, his eyes closed and her face in a smile. The man stopped playing after a second and he scanned the audience.

“You know, my dear twin is quite the wonderful lady, but I'd have to say that I'm the more suave of the two of us.” A chuckle could be heard from the audience and Madonna shouts an offended “hey!” “But together we are quite the duo, and our magic combined will be assured to bring you a great time tonight. And even if it doesn't, you can enjoy my music along the way. For I am Madon, the musician, playing for your entertainment tonight with my partner, Kodarei!” Once again the people would begin to search the arena for the next magician as their cheers welcomed Madon. But what they did not know that the next magician did not come from the ground, for that would not do her much good in exemplifying her title.

“Hey everybody!” The audience’s attention would be drawn to the ceiling, where the next magician would be trapezing in with her partner, a Sensei style Oricirio. She would do a flip but manage to hang on, dressed in a purple and black suit with a matching top hat. As she swung into position, her hat would fall off. The magician would release the trapeze, somersault three times through the air, then catch her hatch and stick the landing on the raised platform. She would place her hat on her head where her Oricorio would land. Cheers would shake the stadium as the magician would begin to speak. “There's more where that came from tonight, everyone! After all, what kind of magician would I be to not give you an amazing show? I am Maddie, the Acrobat, enchanting you with my partner Aoriole tonight!” The next magician would now start to rise from the floor. She would not be hidden in the slightest, her pedestal encased in a cage as all sorts of beast pokemon such as Pyroar, Luxray, and Aggron. The crack of a whip echoed through the arena, drawing the attention of the beasts and audience. A girl stood on an elevated platform in the cages wearing a neon green suit with a spade and a heart painted on her cheeks. Her top hat was a neon green suit with a yellow stripe across. She twirled, her curly brown hair would be bouncing in the air elegantly, while her white gloved hairs held a whip in one and a keystone in the other. As she spun, she would gracefully toss the keystone into the air. After it rose a little ways, the keystone would burst to life revealing her partner, a Spiritomb. Using orbs of green light, the spiritomb enchanted the beasts, causing them to pick up the girl and hold her high in the air.

“Hello everyone,” her beautiful voice called out, “despite the mighty beasts that I have before you tonight, you need not fear them. My partner and I are experts and will make sure that not only are you safe, but that you will be in for the show of a lifetime. For I am Maiden, the beast tamer.” ’I wish she’d tame me.’ Madder’s face went red and he mentally scolded himself. ’Madder stop it! Now is not the time for this!’ “And this is my partner, Kemuishi!” Madder always found himself caught slightly off guard when he rose to the arena after Maiden’s appearance. But how could he not when the most enchanting woman in the world had just spellbound him? His partner, though, was used to this by now and already started the presentation. He took hold of Madder’s arms and flicked his wrist, sending a total of ten cards (five from each sleeve) out into the air. Bursts of light rippled around Madder as a group of drifloon formed from the cards. Madder took control now, raising his hands into the air, the drifloon following his motions. They began to swirl, Madder wiggling his fingers to cause them to spin faster and faster until they disappeared in another flash of light, their cards fluttering down to his side. He froze them in midair and returned them to his sleeves.

“Good evening, dutiful audience. As you can see, cards are my game,” Madder slipped one deck out of his sleeve and shuffled it before returning it to his sleeve. “But, I’m better known for my mind bending tricks that alter your perception of reality. For I am Madder, the Illusionist, twisting your universe today with my partner, Sakkaku!” Cheers erupted around the arena, but Madder merely smiled as he scanned the audience. Sadly, he was too far away to spot the little boy’s face. He would just have to try a different tactic. Madder looked to the center of the arena where the final pedestal rose from the floor. There stood the ringmistress, the leader of this whole circus of madness. She was wearing a white suit with a black stripe across her hat. She also held a cane with a white top hat matching her own at the top. Floating in the air to her back left was her partner, a mismagius. She lifted her head as a hush silence fell across the crowd. She spread her arms wide and smiled broadly

“Welcome guests! As you can see, we have quite the wide cast for you to enjoy tonight! Allow me to introduce myself, I am Madeline, the ringmistress for this circus, and this is my partner, Maijin. Tonight we will be your guides through our circus of madness and wonder! So please, get comfortable in your seats, and let your excitement build then explode from you so that we might be able to give you the best performance possible tonight! So, is everyone ready?” Madeline was answered with a loud arena full of cheers. “I think that’s a yes. Thus, without further ado, let the show begin!” All the pedestals except Maiden’s began to descend. Maiden’s began to increase in size and more beastly pokemon entered the arena, including pokemon such as Ursaring and Tyranitar. Madder knew the performance forwards, backwards, blindfolded, and every other which way possible. But still, he found himself fascinated for the few seconds he watched her performed. As he left the platform, Madder found himself suddenly assaulted by a familiar voice.

“So when are you going to ask her out?” Madder jumped at the sound of Madtheo’s voice. He glared at Madtheo and crossed his arms.

“When are you going to ask out Maddie?” he retorted, causing Madtheo to return the glare.

“You’re such a wuss. At least I have the excuse that I don’t know whether or not Maddie returns my feelings. You have zero excuses, since it is obvious Maiden returns your feelings.” Madder paused in adjusting his sleeves to cast a glance at Madtheo.

“There is no such obviousness as far as I can tell. And how can you even guarantee I care that much?” he replied smoothly. Madtheo merely crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows.

“Oh really? Madder, you stare at her all the time. Before every performance you give her a small bouquet of flowers. You always watch her practice and smile wider than I have ever seen you smile as she performs her routine. Also there’s no hiding that blush.” Madder stiffened and looked to the side.

“Just shut up. So what if I like her that much? Why’s it any of your concern?”

“Dude, it’s the whole circus’s concern. Literally everyone here wants you two to get together, including Maiden. So put on your big boy britches and ask her out already or else I’m ratting you out to her.”

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Watch me.” The two boys glared each other down before cheers could be heard from above and Maiden’s pedestal began to descend. Madtheo looked over his shoulder, grabbed Madder’s arm, and roughly threw him towards Maiden’s elevator. Madder stumbled before regaining his balance and waiting for Maiden to finish. She spotted him before the cage was all the way down and waved with a wide smile that seemed to shine like the moon. Madder waved back and waited patiently for Maiden to exit the cage once it was safely on the ground.

“How did I do?” Maiden asked.

“You were splendid, as always,” Madder praised, “and if those cheers are anything to go by I think the audience agrees wholeheartedly.” Maiden giggled and nudged Madder’s shoulder lightly.

“Oh stop it. I wasn’t that good. Your performance is much better.”

“It’s much easier to pull off,” Madder confessed. “I just have to control a bunch of cards. Any old magician could do it. But your performance, you had to get those pokemon to trust you and teach them all tricks that they could perform. It took a long time and it looks absolutely stunning.” Maiden tucked a stray piece of her curly brown hair behind her ear and glanced off to the side before moving her angelic eyes to look at Madder through her eyelashes. Madder felt his heartbeat pick up and he opened his mouth slightly, completely enchanted with her appearance.

“You’re too sweet, Madder. That’s what I like about you. You’re always so kind.” She paused and noticed Madder seemed to be slightly uncomfortable. “Are you okay?” Before Madder could answer, Madtheo wrapped his arm around the boy.

“Oh yes, the boy’s fine. He’s just a little nervous because he wants to ask you something and he doesn’t know how you’ll react.” At this, Madder’s face went bright red. Thankfully, Madder had a savior in the form of Madon. The musician grabbed Madtheo’s collar and dragged him away.

“Leave him alone, Madtheo,” Madon scolded as they walked away. Maiden watched them for a second before returning her full attention to Madder. In the short time she had not been focused on him, Madder had drawn a little closer and, with one hand, pulled his top hat slightly over his eyes so that the shadow covered most of his face.

“Maiden.” The girl cocked her head to the side a little in confusion, barely noticing Madder’s other hand slipping around her waist. “I’m about to do something that I’ll either regret for the rest of my life or never forget as the greatest moment of my life.”

“What do you-” Maiden was cut off when Madder moved his hat out of the way and pulled Maiden close, gently placing his lips on hers. Maiden tensed up initially, but relaxed into his arms, her hands gently holding his shirt over his chest. Madder pulled back after a second but before Maiden could react, he was gone, running to his elevator to his performance. “Madder, wait!” Maiden called, but he had disappeared. Maiden placed a hand over her chest, her breathing something irregular as she tried to make sense of what had just happened. Slowly she raised her hand to her lips, her whole body still abuzz from the kiss. “He… he likes me,” she whispered. Maiden slid her other hand into her pocket to try and keep them from shaking so much when she felt something brush against it. Pulling the item from her pocket, she realized it was a tarot card. Maiden flipped it over so that it was face up and a small smile spread across her face. It was The Lovers.

Madder’s felt his heart racing in his chest and could not keep his hands from shaking. What had he just done? There wasn’t much time to dwell on it though, since he had a performance to give and a little boy to impress. Still, his senses were all on overdrive and it was really hard to get Maiden out of his mind right now. Especially the image of her lips. They had been soft and welcoming, and they tasted like strawberries. Madder shook his head and took a deep breath. He had to focus.

The lights in the arena swung back and forth before focusing their attention on Madder. Madder raised his hands into the air, his partner raising a ghostly hand in unison. Madder looked a Sakkaku and smiled. The Mimikyu nodded in return and Madder turned his attention to the audience.

“Hello ladies and gentlemen! So far tonight you have witness the amazing fortune telling abilities of Madonna and the absolutely stunning beast taming abilities of the lovely Maiden, so now I here to display the magic of illusions. So look closely, because the more you watch me, the easier it is for my illusions to enchant you. Now, for my first trick, I need a volunteer, but not just any volunteer.” Madder threw a card out and a drifloon appeared. Madder stepped out onto it and then repeated this action several times, walking from drifloon to drifloon until he reached another platform, still talking as he moved. “You see, earlier today a friend of mine came to me after he finished work and he tells me, hey there’s this kid that I gave a tour for at the museum today. He’s coming to your show tonight, be sure to give him a good show. So I thought, well how about I do him one better, and let him be in the show. So, with that in mind,” Madder paused as he reached the next platform and returned all the drifloon to cards then had them fly back to his sleeve, “I’d like to ask, is there a young boy out in audience today that visited the Slateport Museum, who took a tour with a Mr. Hughes, and is named uh… ah what was his name… ah yes, a young boy named Logan. That’s who I’m looking for.” Several little boys jumped up, of course, but Madder knew they weren’t the one he was looking for. A quick scan over the audience and Madder spotted the face from earlier in the day. Madder pointed at the young boy, and the spotlights shone on him. “Ah yes, there you are!” Madder flicked his wrist and card was sent out to the boy. It froze in the air above him and turned into a Drifloon. “Please, take hold of the drifloon, he will bring you over to me.” Logan looked at his parents excitedly before grabbing onto the drifloon’s strings. He was lifted into the air and gently floated over to Madder’s platform. “Let’s have a big round of applause for Logan!” Cheers welcome Logan to the stage as the boy landed on the platform. He looked up at Madder eagerly. Madder winked at Logan then looked out to the audience. Madder put a finger to his chin then snapped his fingers. “Ah of course! How could I forget! If you’re going to be a part of his circus, Logan, you’re going to need two things, a hat and a partner. So, first, a hat. Logan, what’s your favorite color?”

“Orange!” Logan said, throwing his hand into the air. Madder nodded and grabbed some thin air. Suddenly there was a black card in his hand. Madder looked it over before flicking it. The black card expanded into a top hat with an orange stripe.

“Will this suffice?” Madder asked. Logan nodded his head eagerly. Madder placed it on the kid’s head and smiled. “Now, Logan, do you have any pokemon yet?” Logan shook his head. “Well, not to worry, you can have one of mine.” Madder slid a deck into his hand and held it out so that all the cards were visible. “Now close your eyes and pick one, the one that is meant for you will guide you to it.” Logan covered his eyes with one hand and reached out. He waved his hand over the card before his fingers landed on one. Madder closed the deck, sending the card of choice flying. It fluttered in the air before landing in Logan’s hands. Logan flipped the card over and suddenly it poofed, revealing a litwick. “Ah! Ignus the Litwick! Good choice! All right, Logan, are you ready to begin?” Logan nodded his head again. “Okay, Logan, first, I need you to put Ignus on your head, then stand with your arms outstretched.” Logan did as he was told. Madder sent two decks to his hands and placed each in Logan’s hands. “Now Logan hold very still.” Madder stood a ways behind Logan and began to lift the cards in the air.

The cards spun and twirled, circling through the air and dancing like performers before twirling around Ignus then shooting to Madder. They piled up in Madder’s hands before vanishing into thin air. Logan spun around, sparkles in his eyes. Madder smiled and held out his hand to Logan. The body took Madder’s hand without any coercion. Madder made sure he had a good grip on Logan before leading the boy to the edge of the platform.

“Now, ladies and gentlemen! If you thought that was good, you are in for a treat.” Madder looked at Logan. “Care to help me with this next trick? Simply flick out your hands like so.” Madder threw out his arms and flicked his wrists, sending several fireworks shooting through the air before they fizzled out. Logan’s eyes went wide and he eagerly tried, but nothing happened his first time. Madder tapped his chin. “Hm… seems it didn’t work. Let’s see… Ignus what do you think?” The litwick repeated Madder’s wrist flicking motion and Madder nodded. “I see. Okay Logan, here, let me help you.” Madder got down on his knees behind Logan and took hold of his arms. “Ready? Like this!” Madder helped Logan with the motion and two fireworks shot through the air, but instead of fizzling out like Madder’s they twirled through the air, spelling out Logan’s name. The audience hollered and whooped. Logan looked down at his hands and Madder chuckled. “You’re quite the talented magician, my friend.”

Madder stood back up and took Logan’s hand before leading him off the platform. He created another pathway of drifloon, leading them to the center of the arena. Madder helped Logan onto his shoulders before returning all the drifloon to him except the one he was standing on. Madder raised his hands into the air and began to wave them in different waves and patterns. Suddenly the fabric of curtains began to mimic his hand movements causing the air to seemingly ripple at Madder’s command. Then, with a spread of his hands, the curtains vanished, revealing a large golden card. It twirled slowly, revealing it to be a giratina card. Gasps could be heard across the crowd and there was an uncertain murmur as to what the card was for. Madder smirked, this being his favorite part of his performance. Madder wiggled his fingers, causing the air in front of him to ripple and another small card formed. Madder took it and threw the card at the large one. They clash into a spark of bright light. It quickly faded, revealing a Giratina and a Hoopa. Using his hands to direct the Hoopa, the two began to clash in battle, their attacks giving the audience the feeling they were harmful but in a way that there was no possible way the audience was in danger. After a few attacks, the Giratina flapped its wings and flew into the air, sweeping over the audience before disappearing. It reappeared a moment later, behind the Hoopa but the Hoopa spotted it and used its ring to send the Giratina elsewhere. The crowd clapped and cheered, shouting thank yous to Hoopa before the pokemon disappeared through its own rings.

“I told you it’d be quite the performance tonight, didn’t I, folks?” Madder called. People shouted cheers as their reply and Madder looked up to Logan. “What did you think, Logan? Did I do a good job? Was Mr. Hughes right to give you his tickets to come here tonight to see me in action?” Logan smiled and nodded enthusiastically. Madder smiled and began to walk, leaving the platform without setting out any drifloon, merely walking through the air without any platform below. “Well I am glad. I hope I taught you a little more cards today as well. Mr. Hughes said you took a particular interest in them. Now you can keep that hat of yours, but Ignus has to stay with me.” Logan awwed a little as they reached his seat. Madder put Logan back down into his seat before looking at his parents. Logan’s parents’ eyes widened, the surprise obvious on their faces. Madder smiled at them and winked. “Come see me again though when your parents are ready for you to get a pokemon, and I’ll be sure to pick out a perfect pokemon for you, okay buddy?” Logan’s mother reached out to Madder, making him pause. “Yes?”

“Thank you,” she said, “for everything.” Madder tipped his hat and smiled softly.

“Of course, ma’am. It’s why I perform.” With that Madder ran back to his platform and waved goodbye to the audience before hitting the ground with a smoke ball, seemingly making him disappear. The platform descended and Madder sighed, glad that he had fulfilled his purpose. He looked around the backstage to see if he could find Maiden, but she was nowhere to be found. Sadness settled over him, Madder’s mood dampening. So Maiden hadn’t returned his feelings then? That was too bad. Madder took off his hat and started to walk to his dressing room. He shuffled his cards absent-mindedly, his Mimikyu sitting on his shoulder unsure of how to cheer Madder up. Madder reached his dressing room and turned the doorknob, only to have a card flutter out. Madder furrowed his brows, confused. He bent down to pick it up, only to see it was the card he had given Maiden earlier, The Lovers.

“That was so sweet of you, Madder. What you did for that boy… it was amazing.” Madder looked over his shoulder and saw Maiden. Madder quickly picked up the tarot card and stood up. He looked off to the side and rubbed his arm awkwardly.

“Maiden, a-about earlier… I uh-”

“Madder, it’s okay!” Madder raised his gaze to Maiden, confusing covering his face. “I like you too.” Madder’s heart filled with all sorts of emotions, relief, happiness, excitement, surprise, and so much more.

“Y-You do?” he managed.

“Of course. How could I not when you do things like what you did for that Logan boy tonight? You’re too kind for this world, Madder, and it’s absolutely charming.” Maiden giggled. “So when’s our first date?”

“Our what?”

“Our first date! Come on. That kiss was pretty the equivalent of you asking me out, right? So when are we going out?” Madder smiled as he heard applause from Madon’s performance.

“Let’s see where the next performance takes us and how the cards play out, but I can assure you, it’ll be a great date.”