The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

The Impatient Birthday Present (Prompt Thread Week 4)

Warning, this contains smoking and BL.

Rox tapped his foot impatiently as he waited in the campus post office. It was his third time visiting this week and he had no doubt the attendants were tired of his visits, but could they blame him? The package he had ordered was way overdue, by about five days. Mikey’s birthday was the end of this week and it was the first time they’d be celebrating together. It had to be perfect.

“Sorry sir,” the attendant replied, “it still has not arrived.” Rox groaned and sighed.

“Thank you anyway, sir. I will be back to check again tomorrow, or later today.” The attendant gave a short nod, but Rox saw his eye twitch out of annoyance from the statement. Good. They deserved it for not having his package.

Rox turned and walked out the post office on campus. His fingers twitched in need and Rox sighed. He was so stressed out, why not? Rox calmly put his hands in his pockets and exited the campus. Turning down the right side of the road, Rox traveled for a while until the fence that surrounded the campus dipped in a little. This area was known as The Smoker’s Alcove. Rox nodded as he entered, signaling his hellos to the other people there. They nodded back, but made no conversation. It was one of the rules of the alcove. Smoking was frowned upon socially in the campus, so a silent rule had come about for the people in the alcove. If you knew or recognized someone in the alcove, do not talk to them outside the alcove, as that will raise questions as to how the two of you met. In addition, it was usually frowned upon to talk within the alcove due to it possibly causing people to wish to speak to you outside of the alcove. This wouldn’t be such a big deal if not for the fact that the student body president, the captain of the basketball team, and this year’s salutatorian.

Rox leaned up against the wall and pulled his Marlboros from his pocket. He fetched his lighter from his other pocket, pulled out his cigarette, and lit it. Rox took a deep breath, held it for a second, then exhaled a large cloud of smoke. He smiled as it felt like his lungs were opening up. People always shamed smokers but they didn’t understand how difficult it could be to stop. Rox had started to stop, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to stop due to this suffocating feeling he got when he went weeks without a cigarette. Mikey had accepted it and was doing his best to support Rox through stopping, but not everyone else was so happy to help out. Rox rolled his eyes at his thoughts, then looked over the occupants again. He spotted a familiar girl and glared at her. She glared back, but neither made a move due to the truce they had in the alcove.

This women was Sienna. She was the twin sister of one of Rox’s close friends, Mandy. But the two were bitter enemies now due to Sienna’s controlling nature. Still, Rox respected that everyone needed to take a smoke, so as much as he hated her and she hated him, they had instituted a truce in the alcove. Outside of the alcove, all bets were off, but inside, they acted as if they did not know each other. Rox lifted his head to the sky, taking in another breath of smoke, and began to think over the whole ordeal with his missing package. He could return to the past and order something else, but there was two problems with that. Firstly, Rox didn’t know how to run the supercomputer at all, so he’d have to enlist the help of someone who did, but the ones who did either wouldn’t help him or were out of town this weekend. Secondly, Rox didn’t think there was a better present than what he had ordered, it would be a let down in Rox’s opinion. So, then, what should he do?

“Rox, you look troubled. What’s up?” Rox raised his eyebrows and looked over at the Student Body President. The others in the alcove also turned to look at him. This was a strange move for the man.

“My boyfriend’s birthday is Friday and the present I ordered online hasn’t come in yet,” he explained quietly. The others gave understanding nods. It was Wednesday. The package had two days to arrive. Rox was justly stressed. “I doubt there’s anything anyone can do about it.”

“Well what did you order?”

“Fallout 4. Mikey’s a huge fan of the series and he hasn’t had enough money to buy the game yet so I saved up to get it for his birthday.” Everyone was silent for a moment, considering the statement. Then, someone else spoke up.

“Maybe I can help.” Rox looked over and saw the catcher for the girl’s softball team standing near the front of the alcove. “I have an unopened copy in my dorm. I bought it from the local game store last week and haven’t had the chance to play it yet. If your package doesn’t come in by Friday morning then I’ll give you my copy and when your copy comes in you just give it to me.” Rox’s eyes widened in shock.

“A-Are you sure?” he asked, “I don’t want to deprive you of a game.”

“Nonsense!” The girl smiled and laughed a little. “It’s the least I can do. I understand how stressful it can be to wait on a gift for a friend.” Rox smiled and exhaled some more smoke.

“Thanks. That takes a load off.” Rox looked between the catcher and the student body president. “Is there anything on your minds?” There was another silence, but soon everyone was talking about the different issues they were facing and coming up with solutions as best they could.

Friday morning had come quicker than expected. Still, just as Rox had predicted, the package had not yet arrived. Thus, the catcher of the softball team, named Petunia Harkness, had given Rox her copy for the gift. It was in prime condition, unopened and seemingly untouched. Rox had a little trouble wrapping it, but Petunia was great help in that department as well. In fact, everyone from the alcove was, even Sienna. In their time speaking in the alcove, the group had managed to come up with a plan for a surprise party for Mikey. The Student Body President, Lamar Smith, had pulled a few strings and reserved the student lounge. Everyone else had worked on decorations and invitations. It was going to be great.

Sloane was in on the plan as well, and was in charge of getting Mikey to the lounge. Rox lay in wait inside a box. It had been the captain of the soccer team’s idea to hide Rox inside a giant present. There was a silence reminiscent of the one that once hung over the alcove in the room, then Rox heard a door open.

“Sloane, it’s so dark in here. What’s up with that?”

“SURPRISE!” a large collective shout called. Everyone could be heard laughing and blowing noise makers. Rox felt himself get rolled closer to Mikey. “We got you a gift. You should open it.” Rox looked up as Mikey began to tear at the wrapping paper. He opened the top of the box and stared at Rox in confusion.

“Rox?” Rox reached up and pulled Mikey down into the box with him.

“Hello. How are you today, birthday boy?”

“R-Rox! What are you-? How did you-? What’s going on?”

“I’m throwing you a surprise party! Also here’s your real present.” Rox held out the game to Mikey. Mikey carefully opened the wrapping paper and his eyes lit up when he spotted the logo. Mikey hugged Rox tightly and Rox smiled as he held Mikey close. This was well worth the package being late.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Moderator

Aw, that was very sweet, and I loved you you captured the relationship between Rox and Mikey
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

3. This post has been liked by: