Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Hey look at that I'm back(ish) with #178

If the trend holds up I should be back by Christmas with 179.

I'm just kidding, hopefully.

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    Dang, not even a cinch victory. Nothing is going right for Anthony.

... Seriously that's actually becoming a mild problem in the narrative. I'm literally not foreseeing a way he doesn't die of Kane beating him to death out of vengeance, or get captured and put in a completely hopeless situation, except a big darn heroes moment by the people who told him not to come up here and will now chide him for his stupidity. That's just the short term, though: He's made no progress in three years, lost a good chunk of his allies and hasn't really made any new ones, and is nowhere near actually finding his Blastoise, assuming it is even alive or able to recognize him, and is now apparently hopelessly behind literally his entire competition, both his rivals and the big bad team-and really pretty much everyone possible that I can name save his own allies. Anthony's kinda lost most of his sympathy in the timeskip, too, and I'm *still* completely flabbergasted that Anthony has apparently not even remotely bothered to train in the timeskip. Mega Evolution, from experience is NOT such an overwhelming powerup that the evolution alone explains this level of tank-Anthony must legitimately be overwhelmed by the base Houndoom and would only have maybe cinched a victory against exactly one Pokemon without it Mega Evolving. It's kinda depressing and simultaneously uninteresting; the heroes have *no* leverage against the bad guys whatsoever anymore, and while there are still good guys to fight them that may be up to the par, it's less that and more that the main character stopped being interesting or powerful. Which is slightly audacious coming from someone who became a champion. You'd think he had actual experience with this before, enough to raise up a Blastoise.

That's most of my gripes, though. Let me be clear: I'm not trying to be a douche, but the plot is kinda getting stale as it is. The way the comic is laid out is telling me there's a lot of room for these issues to be resolved-but there is a LOT of resolving to do, and hey, you're not falling into the invincible hero trope, so on the flipside, fights in the future could become very, very close. You do good work, man, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that these are issues that are kinda in the way of me enjoying the comic completely, at least in the post-timeskip frame.

Sorry if it comes off as severe.
    Last edited by The Nonexistent Tazz; 03-19-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Quote Originally Posted by The Nonexistent Tazz View Post
    Dang, not even a cinch victory. Nothing is going right for Anthony.

(CUTTING OUT TEXT FOR SPACE)

Sorry if it comes off as severe.
    No no no, its not severe, criticism is always welcome. That's the feeling I wanted at this point. I want it to look hopeless and overwhelming, I want the main character to feel helpless and powerless. It's how a lot of my writing has become lately. If I had kept the same mentality and story plan I had when I began writing this it would, to me at least, feel very boring and predictable.

My stories take on a darker tale lately where the Hero loses everything and has to fight to reclaim it. My style has changed a lot over the past 7 years, and I hope you'll stick around to see how things turn out.

It'll get good, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by ant2011 View Post
    No no no, its not severe, criticism is always welcome. That's the feeling I wanted at this point. I want it to look hopeless and overwhelming, I want the main character to feel helpless and powerless. It's how a lot of my writing has become lately. If I had kept the same mentality and story plan I had when I began writing this it would, to me at least, feel very boring and predictable.

My stories take on a darker tale lately where the Hero loses everything and has to fight to reclaim it. My style has changed a lot over the past 7 years, and I hope you'll stick around to see how things turn out.

It'll get good, trust me.
    My polite warning is to not go overboard with this hopelessness is all, though it is good to hear that you're taking chances with the narrative. That said, I'm still kinda in this state of detachment with the characters, protagonist and antagonist. A jerk is punching another jerk at this point, is what I'm thinking of the occasion, and someone nicer is freaking out, and that's kind of a bad situation to be in when both one of the primary antagonists and the protagonist aren't very sympathetic. Though, given the speed of the comics, it may just be the issue of speed belying character growth and this being a low point (for both).

Here's #179! What's all this about then? A vision of the past? A memory? Or the journey to the afterlife?

Ahahaha, jeez, Anthony is in a tight spot.

On the flipside, I thoroguhly enjoy the old GB sprites for when Anthony has a flashback. That is a nice touch.

The flashback idea is neat

Be sure to check my comic weekly! I also have some other ideas for future comics so stay tuned.

Gotta have flashbacks, and of course they gotta have those old school sprites! But hey, here's the next page #180!

Well, that clears up... approximately 50% of my confusion.

Seriously, whatever O.X. is planning ought to be really tempting for Kane to have him join that as opposed to just being like Gary/Silver. Still, an interesting, sad motive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nonexistent Tazz View Post
    Well, that clears up... approximately 50% of my confusion.

Seriously, whatever O.X. is planning ought to be really tempting for Kane to have him join that as opposed to just being like Gary/Silver. Still, an interesting, sad motive.

whatever O.X. is planning ought to be really tempting

really tempting
    BRUH. BRUH YOU HAVE NO IDEA

In other news, I've noticed a lot of my old Postimg links are broken and I don't really want to reupload everything to the new site I've been using.

BUT DON'T WORRY! You can still read your favorite pages from the past! Back in 2015 I opened a Smackjeeves to host Jentoh to potential readers who aren't here! So if you want to read pages that are broken here, they should be there.

I always update here first, page 180 should be up there by the 16th of April!

So yeah, here's the Smackjeeves link

11. This post has been liked by: