3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 66.67%
  • No

1 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Renegade (SU)

Rien is in.

So we have hired muscle and law enforcement. Interesting contrast already.

Lately I've been considering... Revising a few things about the RP. I doubt anyone will have to edit their character forms-- it's mostly me revising stuff about how I intend to handle the Legendaries, and exactly what kinds of technology exist in the world. And possibly changing the Pokemon I have as my 'player character', to make resistance against the Corruption more... organized. If anyone's got suggestions or ideas about that technology that Unone's created, I'll probably consider them.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LKWayvern View Post
    Lately I've been considering... Revising a few things about the RP. I doubt anyone will have to edit their character forms-- it's mostly me revising stuff about how I intend to handle the Legendaries, and exactly what kinds of technology exist in the world. And possibly changing the Pokemon I have as my 'player character', to make resistance against the Corruption more... organized. If anyone's got suggestions or ideas about that technology that Unone's created, I'll probably consider them.
    Well, I hope you don't mind this, but I'll drop in some feedback.

I think the underlying problem is you have many powerful legendaries in high royalty-like positions of power, but the players are commanding everyday John Doe Pokémon and it begs the question "well, what can I do that no one else can?" Sure, they could try to fight the Corruption (I imagine in complete vain in the beginning of the RP), but it just feels like everyone's characters just blend into the crowd and there's just not enough that emphasizes "it's all down to you now!" And that's the thing. I think the kinds of characters players can create for this would be more like witnesses than heroes in their positions. If the royal legendaries don't feel confident about handling this, how can I?

Player-controlled characters need to be someone a bit more special than the average Pokémon. Think about your favorite stories and video games. Your main character is definitely different and unique compared to the everyday folks around them. It needs to be a similar thing going for the player characters in this. Maybe they have a special ability, have knowledge that no one else does, have survived and can survive where many others do not, or they hold the keys to accomplishing some major objective that now only they can perform. Maybe they aren't affected by the corruption. Maybe they can even leverage it and transmute it to do something beneficial, and yet they never encountered this before and don't know how they're able to do it. They just can (leaving it open to figure out just how and why).

I also noticed that while making the PXFIRE RP, focusing on one continent dropped so much extra baggage that was really not necessary. I'd say maybe consider doing the same. Maybe focus JUST on Sinna. Maybe focus JUST on Princess Giratina (saying the other legendaries are part of a royalty hierarchy throughout the world is really all you need). All the lore on the other legendaries... that can come later if it's really even needed. While I was reading the beginning, I almost thought we would be RPing as them and that's why we were getting such a deep and thorough explanation all about them, but then things changed. Our characters kind of just feel like tiny dust specks under so much royal authority to the point where it just feels like "well, let the legendaries figure out the solution."

The other thing is I'm not sure how the RP would start off. So Giratina has become corrupted at the Homecoming Festival and it's guaranteed our characters and all their efforts to attack or strike will be in vain. Well, what happens after that? Running away to try and research the Corruption just seems like the only viable path after that, but how does one do that while knowing so little about the stuff? If they go the research route, RPers would need to invent their own properties when it comes to figuring out how it behaves and that's tricky business because it's your RP and from personal experience, defining those properties as a participant sometimes steps on the GM's toes and what they originally intended for it. On that note, it's hard to fight back and stop something we just don't know too much about. A few breadcrumbs to lead us in the right direction might help.

Just things like that. I don't think the technology level or the organization of the legendaries is really the main target concern here.

I think I said it before, I really love worldbuilding. In books and comics and movies I tend to get drawn in by worldbuilding a lot, and I think I got too wrapped up in here to consider stuff like what you mentioned...
    When I said revising stuff about the Legendaries, I mostly meant finding a way to take them out of the picture so they couldn't simply swoop in and fix everything. And your point about needing a way to make the protagonists special is very valid too. Just want to say, if anyone does have any advice or suggestions that they feel would make the RP better somehow, please speak up. Anyways, I think I found a way to restrict the world of the RP, and also give the protagonists a fighting chance.
    The former is simple: the Legendaries creating the spell to cross time and space to bring Giratina back did not account for the existence of the Corruption. Its malignant power warped the effects of the spell, splintering Sinna off of Omnia and dragging it into a pocket dimension, somewhere between Omnia and wherever the Corruption was born. I need to find a way to limit the Legendaries at the festival (possibly in all of Sinna) to just Celebi and Hoopa...
    And now the fun part. Just why the protagonists have anything resembling a chance against Giratina.
    Celebi and Hoopa used their Psychic abilities to connect with the Legendaries in Omnia and allow them to bestow upon the group the status of Chosen.
    What's a Chosen? Well, I typed up a few notes on them.
    Being a Chosen links you inexorably with a particular Legendary, granting you strength to rival one. Aging slows, minor injuries heal faster, disease is unheard of, and there is even a slight resistance to the Corruption. In addition, the Chosen are capable of entering 'Seraphic Mode', granting them a move set composed of their Legendary's moves, and a superpower associated with that Legendary(for example, a Chosen of Suicune could purify water, a Chosen of Lugia would be able to conjure storms, a Chosen of Genesect may have access to cybernetic modifications, etc)
    Be warned, though, that the sheer amount of divine energy channeled through your mortal body during Seraphic mode may cause your own powers to possibly feel increased and difficult to control, as well as for feelings of giddiness and euphoria to arise. While this does not sound serious at first, there is a myth about an ancient Chosen of Groudon spontaneously combust after using Seraphic Mode to hold off an army.
    The goals of the Chosen would be twofold:
    First, purify(or, if that's impossible, kill) Giratina and any other Corrupteds.
    Second, assist Celebi and Hoopa in reversing the effects of the warped spell.
    Thoughts on this?

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Okay, I like the idea of separating Sinna. The other changes involving the Chosen and the Seraphic Mode are pretty nifty. Even the overuse into combustion side-effect. XD

Quote Originally Posted by LKWayvern View Post
    First, purify(or, if that's impossible, kill) Giratina and any other Corrupteds.
    Second, assist Celebi and Hoopa in reversing the effects of the warped spell.
    Thoughts on this?
    Yep!

As a suggestion, have the hierarchy of Corrupteds be like a pyramid with Giratina on the top. At the moment, Giratina is impossible to kill. Her branching network is too strong. Below her are her newfound Lieutenants, followed by elite soldiers, and so on. It ends up having to be a "kill bill" that the players have to assassinate one by one to weaken the lifelink that Giratina has to other Corrupteds. If her chain of Corruption starts to fall apart, she becomes mortal, although still a hell of a boss fight.

As for assisting Celebi and Hoopa, for those who aren't into combat so much, they need to help them retrieve specific relics, ingredients, regiments, and perform certain actions to reverse the warp spell. Celebi and Hoopa can't do it alone and it needs to be a team effort. Both paths may even cross over one another as the Chosen learn some of Giratina's followers have some of the items they need.

Hopefully that helps and gives you a few ideas.

You know what they say. With great power comes great risk of that power rebelling and turning you into literal toast.
    I definitely want to include special relics of some kind to grant Celebi and Hoopa the power they need to undo the spell-- I have to ideas. first, perhaps there are objects similar in vein to the Time Gears that can be used to give Celebi and Hoopa power equivalent to Dialga's and Palkia's. Second idea, perhaps the Lustrous, Adamant, and Griseous Orbs were required for the spell, but shattered when it went wrong. The resulting Resilient Shards, Glimmering Shards, and Twisted Shards would need to be collected and reformed to try and repair the damage.
    Hmm... The Lake Trio had the power to control Dialga or Palkia in the gen IV games, a power Giratina possesses too... Perhaps the triplets could be the lieutenants? If so... I have ideas for some pretty interesting battles with them~ >:3

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Can I sign up? I've wanted to try RPing for a looong time. XD Is it okay if I've never done it?

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Can I sign up? I've wanted to try RPing for a looong time. XD Is it okay if I've never done it?
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. You're absolutely free to sign up, and it's okay if you've never RPed before. However, this RP is under renovations, there are a couple of things I want to change... And I'm really not sure when exactly this RP is going to start.
    I was brainstorming a couple of things about the Chosen, and I think it sounds really cool but it would be sort difficult to pull off with the way that RPs tend to go here, so I'm mentally debating whether or not I actually want to do it, or if there's a way to alter it so it can be done...
    My love of taking the expected and using it to create a sudden violent, unexpected plot twist is making this more difficult than it probably should be.
    Not sure if people are still interested seeing how long it's been, or compared to Game of Storms/Stalkers.

@Neo Emolga @Noblejanobii @Bulbasaur

I finally revamped the first post.
    If you're still interested in the RP, can you please redo your characters with the new form? Thanks.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Username: iibonajelbon (do I still need to put this backwards?)
    Character Name: Rien
    Gender: Genderless, has no preference of pronoun, but generally is referred to as "he".
    Age: He is uncertain, though he believes he would be the equivalent of "25" if he were a normal Pokémon.
    Species: Type: Null
    Appearance: He looks like a normal Type: Null in almost every way. The only difference is his mask is a bit rusted and cracked from years of existence. He also wears a necklace with small shard of evolutionary stones strung together around his neck.
    Personality: Rien may seem a bit distant and foreboding at first, but he's a concerned and caring individual at heart. Rien may act stern and serious, but his weakness is children. He will do anything to keep a child safe, even if it means sacrificing his own life or the lives of others. He is noble and chivalrous, but also selfish in this way.
    History: Rien is the only son of one of the original Silvally created by Duke Mewtwo. He was raised with the mindset that he must serve others, and rarely himself, for his species was created for that purpose. Thus, Rein grew up in Eastern Khanjo, helping keep the balance when the existing deities could not. Still, Rein felt that this was not his true purpose, and eventually he decided to take a journey. Traveling from region to region, Rein discovered a unique interest of solving mysteries and crimes. He began to help police stations in chasing down outlaws, something not unexpected for his species. Still, Rien needed to find the right place for him, so he continued his investigative journey, helping to solve crimes while also searching for a place to settle down. He arrived in Sinna not too long before Princess Giratina's return, joining the Eterna City task force due to a recent string of crimes in the area.
    Moveset: Crush claw, x-scissors, air slash, iron head, punishment, Shadow Claw, dragon claw, and rock slide
    Patron: Shaymin
    Gift: He can purify filthy air.
    Seraphic Mode Moveset: Seed Flare, Psychic, Earth Power, Air Slash, Dazzling Gleam, Energy Ball, Leaf Storm, Synthesis
    Other: Rien prefers talking to fighting though he's very apt at fighting if necessary. He prefers and excels at close combat, his mask giving his poor aim in ranged fights. He has several police contacts throughout the regions as well.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire