Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Longer, More Casual Events

This is something I've brought up numerous times. Every forum event seems to last two weeks or so (and often during the school year), and therefore requires a lot of dedication. Being a busy student during the school year, I haven't been able to participate a lot during these events. And if I don't participate, I feel like I get labelled as a less active member.

Anyways, I really, really want there to be an event that doesn't require immense dedication. I've loved all the event ideas and it makes me really disappointing that I was able to participate to the point I would've liked to in zero of them. If not a longer event, maybe an event like the Pikachu Survivor Game, where I can just check in, do a few things, and go back to work.

At the very least, it might be an interesting experiment to compare the activity to a shorter event.

That's my suggestion. Hopefully you all understand where I'm coming from. :D

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Our problem is we don't have a crap ton of active members. Something like this might be great at first but then die out after a few weeks because it might drag on for too long or people will forget about it. That and it seems like an event needs a theme or there's no real rhyme or reason for them. I know I've been trying to think of things for VPP but hell the only ones who still do it is you and I.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    Our problem is we don't have a crap ton of active members. Something like this might be great at first but then die out after a few weeks because it might drag on for too long or people will forget about it. That and it seems like an event needs a theme or there's no real rhyme or reason for them. I know I've been trying to think of things for VPP but hell the only ones who still do it is you and I.
    These are all good points. However, an event can still be a bit more casual. The Pikachu Survivor Game was a hit, and didn't involve much commitment. I think the right idea just needs to be thought of.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to start arguments. I just feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't have tons of time to commit to involved events. If I am, well, I guess this can be disregarded. XD

P.S. I don't want VPP to die. :[

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Yeah it would be nice to have a range of different events. Stalkers is kind of a longer event that doesn't require much investment. The events I run tend to be short term as I know I'd get burnt out doing stuff over a long period of time. xD I kinda feel like people would lose interest too, but I could be wrong. We can definitely try and have more casual events going on. We do have stuff going on for long periods that aren't technically "events" like the community comic and VPP, and we've had game threads in the past like draw the Pokemon blindfolded haha.

If you have any ideas for events, feel free to share them. :) Anyone is also welcome to run an event!
    GCEA

Trust me I get where you're coming from. Our problem is it seems like it's always the same people trying to do events. I mean if you have ideas for events don't hesitate to post them.

I was getting ready to post this earlier but my phone decided to restart and Sarah has basically said everything I was going to say...lol.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I kind of thought Stalkers would fit the bill for this. I'll admit, Round 2 is definitely on the excessive end that I know Suicine's Fire and I won't do to that extent a second time. To me, it's good for both players and narrators. It's not deadly to the game if narrators can't do posts every day and for players, they're pretty free to participate as much as they want. And it doesn't really hurt the rest of the team if some people drop out, which did actually happen with a few people. Seriously, after many flunked ideas, it's thrilling that finally we have something that just WORKS for everyone. It just took some tweaking, though.

PSGs typically go for about 3-4 weeks. Those are kind of tougher for me to host since I definitely need to be on several times a day to make it work the way it's supposed to. I miss a day and it screws up everything.

Caite's right, though, we need other people to feel comfortable with hosting events. Even if I were to host another PSG, it would be very much the same thing as before. I haven't really come up with anything that would make it different and feel fresh from all the previous rounds.

I've got a few unique ideas circulating in my head, but they aren't fully fleshed out yet. I'm definitely going to make an attempt to introduce a couple of them eventually. You should too, Bulbasaur!
    τι ζωή