Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

The moment I found him, I couldn't resist putting him in

All of these episodes are really nice, I don't see many problem with any of them, really. I also enjoyed how you put a spin on all the characters and Pokemon, it's a really cool thing to do, and you do it very well. Good job!
    not that serious

Senior Moderator

Thank you--tomorrow Serena gets her first badge!

I really can't wait to introduce how I changed Mega Evolution

Senior Moderator

Episode 6: The Picture of Victory

I woke up the morning of my battle with Viola in high spirits. "Who's ready to go and try for our first badge?"

[MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!] Kitsune, Rouge, and Lita chorused at the same time.

[Let's do it!] Lita smiled, sparking in anticipation.

After putting the Pokemon Center's guest room back in order (the Chanseys were very grateful I had at least tidied it up--which mean less work for them) we made our way to the Gym.

The first thing that met us were the many pictures on the walls. [Wow...is this the Gym or a museum?] Rouge gasped as she admired the many photographs of fields, landmarks, Pokemon, and people.

[Wonder who this guy is?] Kitsune mused as she admired a picture of a brown haired boy with tanned skin holding a crowd spellbound as he spoke about something.

I knelt down to inspect the information plate. "Every year, Pewter City in Kanto holds a major storytelling festival that attracts storytellers, artisans and musicians from all over the world. The main attraction for many festival goers is hearing the resident Gym Leader, Brock, perform. In addition to being a master storyteller, he is a superb musician, songwriter, and actor, and regularly incorporates those talents into every story he tells."

[I wanna go there and hear him perform one day...] Rouge sighed dreamily.

"Me too, but Kanto's a long way from here." I cautioned as I admired a picture of a Vaporeon sunning itself on a rock overlooking the ocean.

"What's the hustle, little Crustle?" a voice asked, startling me from admiring the photographs.

I whirled around and saw a dull blonde haired man nearby a pole painted to look like Spinarak silk. "Who are you?"

"Name's Jim...it's my job to help would be League champions by givin' 'em some tips about what to expect in every Gym." the man assured me. "This your first time challenging a Gym?"

"Y-yeah..." I stammered.

"How d'ya feel right now?" Jim asked. "Excited? Thrilled? Pumped?"

"My Pokemon are, but I'm actually a bit nervous..." I confessed.

"Don't be...I'll be here rooting for you every step of the way." Jim grinned. "And what might our would be League medalist be named?"

"My name's Serena..." I nearly whispered. Jim's exuberant personality was a bit overwhelming, but at the same time, something told me he genuinely wanted to help.

"Serena? Okay then, Serena...as you can see, Viola's a true blue shutterbug." Jim explained, gesturing to the millions of photos around us. "As such, she loves bug Pokemon. Fire and Flying types are your best bets, but have a few Pokemon on standby to cover secondary types."

"Okay..." I replied. "I should be fine with my current team, then."

"Fine? You'll be more than fine with a Fennekin, a Fletchling, and a Pikachu." Jim assured me. "So just slide on down here, and show Viola what the picture of confidence looks like!" He made a grand gesture to the thread-like pole to emphasize his point.

I took a deep breath to quell the Vivillions fluttering in my stomach, then carefully climbed on the pole. "This is it, you guys...no turning back now."

We carefully slid down the pole (well, Rouge decided to fly down) and landed on a rope maze that resembled a Spinarak web. [You sure this is safe?] Lita was not so sure that the wobbly white rope would hold a Pikachu, much less a human.

"You'll be fine, Lita--there's one of these at almost every playground." I told Lita as I started climbing across the threads. "Although I will admit this is the first one I've found on this large a scale."

Seeing me climb across the threads spurred Kitsune, and then Lita, to follow me. Rouge, being a bird, decided to be my eyes from the air in helping me find the right route. [Okay...start turning left here...keep going...little more...now go right...mind the knot there...head right....]

---------

[....and a little more to the right...and we're here!] Rouge smiled as we finally arrived at the other end of the room. A blonde haired girl--who I assumed was Viola--grinned at us as we stepped off the rope maze and onto solid ground again. The camera in her hands didn't look like the cheap digital cameras in souvenir shops--this one was very clearly a top of the line camera from a respected brand.

"That determined expression...that glint in your eye that says you're up to the challenge--it's fantastic!" she smiled as she set the camera on a table in the large tent. "This your first Gym challenge?"

"Yes--my name is Serena, and I would like to try for your badge." I replied, trying my hardest not to show Viola I was nervous.

"Wonderful!" Viola grinned. "Whether it's the tears of frustration that follow defeat, or the blossoming of joy that comes with victory, they're both picture perfect!"

[I'm glad you think so, but do we really need to get all philosophical over a battle?] Kitsune was unimpressed by Viola's monologue.

Viola grabbed a Poke Ball from another table. "If you're ready, come at me!" She heaved the Poke Ball skyward. "I'm focused on victory!"

I was intrigued by the small blue bug Pokemon with spindly legs Viola had summoned, so I consulted my Pokedex:

"Surskit, the pond skater Pokemon." the Pokedex explained. "If it senses danger, it secretes a thick, sugary syrup from the tip of its head. There are some Pokemon that love eating this syrup."

[I'll take this one!] Lita volunteered. Her first Thundershock fizzled out as the Surskit sprayed some strange pink mist that smelled like bubble gum into the room.

Not one to be deterred (and acutely aware of the millions of credits worth of photography gear inches away from where we battled), Lita next tried to ram into the Surskit. Her Quick Attack knocked the Surskit backwards, but it then sprayed water everywhere, coating the web with sparkling droplets.

[Pretty clever, but that Water Sport won't help once I take the field.] Kitsune noted as Viola's Surskit rammed into Lita, sending her flying before my feet.

"You okay?" I asked her as I grabbed a Potion from my bag.

[Yeah...] Lita replied. [I've got this.]

With that, she charged another Thundershock, minutes before Viola ordered "Bubblebeam!". The spark easily cut through the swirl of rainbow bubbles, and shocked the Surskit senseless, even though Lita got a little wet from its last attack.

"Great job." I told Lita as she shook herself dry. "I thought you were done for when that Quick Attack sent you flying."

[It'll take more than that to take me down!] Lita grinned, pleased at her victory in her first real battle.

Viola's next Pokemon was a pink patterned Vivillion. Not being one to underestimate my opponent, I checked the Pokedex:

"Vivillion, the scale Pokemon. The patterns on this Pokemon's wings depend on the climate and topography of its habitat. It scatters colorful scales."

"And those scales may prove deadly against a Fire type if you're not careful!" Viola cautioned as the Vivillion started creating a large puff of what looked like mist, but closer inspection revealed that it was actually hundreds of tiny scales.

[Scales or no scales, I'm going in anyway!] Kitsune called as she charged into battle.

[Be careful, Kitsune!] Rouge called after her.

Kitsune, however, had a plan: First, she waved the scales away from the Vivillion with Tail Whip. Once sure that the Powder attack was cleared away completely, I called "Use an Ember, quickly!"

She did not, however expect to be thrashed about by a Gust flapped up from the Vivillion's wings. Unlike Lita, Kitsune looked none the worse for wear when the Gust dissipated. [Is that all you've got?] she taunted, flaring her ears out for effect.

The Vivillion was glad to oblige with a Stun Spore attack, but Kitsune ran out of the way and fired an Ember at her opponent, which hindered its ability to fly.

She gritted her teeth as she dodged a Sleep Powder attack. [HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!] she howled as she jumped and rammed into the Vivillion, making it crumple to the floor, defeated.

[Wow!] Rouge gasped when she saw Kitsune deliver the final blow.

Viola was equally impressed. "Well! You've shown me a whole new depth of field!"

She then caught herself. "No...it wasn't just you, Serena...you and your Pokemon have shown me a new depth of field!"

"Thanks?" I stammered. Whatever Viola meant by "depth of field", I figured it was a good thing--or some weird piece of photography lingo I didn't understand.

Viola then offered me the badge, which resembled a Ledyba's skin in purple, gold, and green. "Here you go--in remembrance of your picture perfect victory!"

About then, it finally hit me that I had just won my first badge. "YES!!!" I cried as all three of my Pokemon cheered. "We got a Bug Badge!"

Senior Moderator

Episode 7: The Brave Little Riolu

Jim was waiting for me when we stepped off the elevator leading back to the photo gallery. "Look at that badge!" he grinned when he saw my Bug Badge. "Congrats!"

"Thanks..." I giggled. I had so many emotions swirling through my head--ecstasy at winning my first badge, sheer excitement, pride in my Pokemon...

"You know, Professor Sycamore would be very proud of you..." Jim went on. "Why don't you go see him in Lumiose City?"

"I'm headed there next." I assured Jim as we departed.

We had not gotten very far from the Gym when Lita asked [Why are we fighting for those sparkly things, anyway?]

I realized that Route 22--and the Pokemon League--were not far away. Granted, I needed seven more badges before I could go inside, but I could at least let my Pokemon see the majestic entryway to the League.

We had not gotten far on Route 22 before Kitsune heard a thump in the grass. [What was that?]

Rouge heard the thump too. [Wait there, I'll go see.]

She came fluttering back with a report some moments later. [It's only a Riolu training by whacking a stump.]

"A Riolu?" I asked. Rouge led me into the grass, where sure enough, a tiny blue and black wolf-like Pokemon was eying a stump. After a few tense seconds, it made a flying jump and whacked the stump with a Force Palm.

I wanted to get closer, but Kitsune gave me a warning hiss. [I wouldn't disturb a training Riolu if I were you--they will not hesitate to attack any intruder that interrupts their training.]

"Point duly noted." I assured Kitsune as I consulted the Pokedex:

"Riolu, the emanation Pokemon. The aura that emanates from its body intensifies to alert others if it is afraid or said." the Pokedex explained.

About then, the Riolu noticed us and crept up to where I was watching it. "It's okay...I'm not gonna hurt you." I assured it.

[Wit' garb like tat and yer friendly aura, ye don't look like a threatnin' type] the Riolu assured me, her gentle lilt making me smile. [I'm used te humans tromping tru here as I'm trainin'...but I often wonder were tey're goin'.]

I figured I would kill two Fletchlings with one stone and show Lita and the Riolu the League entryway. "See that large stone archway way out there?" I told the Riolu. "That's where the very best trainers go to prove their skills. The winner receives a medal from the Champion.]

[A prize and te favor of a king?] the Riolu gasped, starry eyed. [I've always wanted to prove myself te strongest!]

I wasn't sure if the League Champion was the same as royalty, but if it motivated the Riolu, great. "Make that the queen." I corrected her--I knew there was currently a female Champion, but who she was, I didn't know. "Many trainers, myself included, make this journey every year, but only a few earn a medal."

[Wow!!!] Even Kitsune was excited.

[Wanna come with us?] Rouge asked.

The Riolu thought for a moment. [I'd be honored te join ye on yer journey...] She then struck a fighting pose. [...if ye'll prove yer strength te me first!]

[Challenge accepted!] Kitsune charged into the grass, intent on scratching the Riolu. But the Riolu jumped out of the way. Kitsune looked around to see where the Riolu had gone, but was knocked to the ground by a Quick Attack.

Not one to be deterred, Kitsune tried an Ember next. The Riolu blocked the brunt of the tiny fireballs, never mind being singed a little.

I then noticed the Riolu about to deliver a Force Palm to Kitsune. "Look out!"

Too late--the THWACK! of the blow sent Kitsune flying back at least a foot. [Uggh...that hurt...] she groaned some moments later.

My heart was pounding--I didn't want to use Rouge, as Flying moves were super effective to Fighting types. Kitsune was pretty much down for the count--although she hadn't fainted, sending her back out after being smacked like she had was suicide.

[You play nurse to Kitsune! I'll take over from here!] Lita assured me before darting into the grass to face her challenger.

The Riolu was not expecting Lita's Thundershock. After waving off the tiny thunderbolts, she unleashed a deafening war cry that could be heard all the way back in Santalune City, at least. Lita rushed in for a Quick Attack, but she ended up blocked by the Riolu's paws and pushed backwards. Try as she might to push forward and ram her opponent, the Riolu would intercept her and push her backwards.

[Are they ever going to stop pushing?] Kitsune asked as I gave her another Potion, slightly bemused by the comical tug of war playing out in the grass.

[Sooner or later, one of them is going to tire.] Rouge agreed. [I don't want to go in unless you really want me to...]

About then, Lita and the Riolu appeared to have called a truce. [Ye are clearly very strong...] the Riolu wheezed as I arrived to assess Lita. [I would be honored te travel wit' such strong companions.]

"So, you're coming with us?" I asked--aside from a few bumps and bruises, Lita appeared okay.

The Riolu gave me a shaky little bow. [I pledge my loyalty te ye--where ye go, I will go also.]

"Okay...welcome aboard....Erin." I smiled, gently touching the kneeling Riolu with a Poke Ball. After she had gone inside in a flash of light, I saw that the sun was setting. "Come on, guys...let's go back to Santalune City for tonight."

[Good idea...] Kitsune weakly smiled.

[You'll still tell us a story tonight, won't you?] Rouge asked.

"Of course." I replied.

[Erin's in for a treat, if your last story was any indication!] Lita grinned as we arrived back in town for the night....

Senior Moderator

Pokemon Center Interlude 3: The Master and the Apprentice

No sooner had we gotten settled in the Santalune City Pokemon Center did Lita greet me with a question. [Is there a way we can see Brock tell stories without traveling to Kanto?]

I grinned--the picture Viola took apparently was on her mind. "I'll ask if there's a PC that can go online, okay?"

Nurse Joy was more than happy to direct me to the tech area of the Pokemon Center, where some other trainers were reading e-mail or checking their Pokebook pages. After finding a vacant one and logging on to MyTube (the volume was on low, so as not to disturb others), I typed "brock storytelling" into the search bar....

...and was floored by the immense amount of stories people had filmed Brock telling--in addition to stories direct from Brock's own MyTube channel, which had the screenname "PewterSong". I decided to start there, and started naming the different stories to the Pokemon. "The Miracle Boy?"

[Nah...] Rouge wasn't interested.

"Prince Tatters?" I suggested again.

[I've heard a variant or two of tat tale...] Erin noted. [In most versions, a princess is married to what appears to be a poor man, and every night, she complains about what she left behind, but after tree deys, she finds the poor man is reely a prince. In some versions, te princess has tree challenges te face to break the spell.]

[Interesting, but I'm not feeling cursed princes tonight.] Kitsune mused.

"The Magic Egg?" I tried. No answer from any of the Pokemon, so I tried the next one. "'The Dragon's Gifts'"?

[I wanna hear that one!] Rouge suggested.

Piqued, I clicked the video link, and Pokemon crowded around the PC as the Brock on the screen (who was apparently in a theater for this and a few more videos) began "Once upon a time, in a far away land, there lived a poor woman named Melina, who had six pretty daughters, all very beautiful and intelligent, and an only son named Jack, who wasn't exactly the brightest star in the sky."

The offscreen audience and the Pokemon giggled at this. "Hardly a day passed without his mother saying to him..." In his best mimic of a woman, Brock scolded "What are you doing, you useless creature? If you weren't too stupid to look after yourself, I would kick you out of the house and never let you see my face again."

[That was pretty good!] Lita was impressed at the impression.

"Every day Jack did some stupid thing or another, till at last Melina, who was at her wit's end, beat him till he was at least three different colors..." Brock explained as himself. "which so startled Jack that he took off running, and never stopped till it was dark and the stars were shining. He wandered on for some time, not knowing where to go, and at last he came to a cave, at the mouth of which sat a dragon, more awe inspiring than anything you can imagine."

[What kind of dragon was it?] Lita asked the screen, as if the image of Brock could hear her.

I just petted her as Brock described the dragon for the unseen audience. "He had a huge and sleek head, sparkling emerald eyes, a majestic snout, and a great gash of a mouth that held hundreds of razor sharp teeth. His scaly skin and huge wings rippled with power."

[So probably a Charizard...] Kitsune speculated.

"In short, he was simultaneously the most beautiful and horrifying object Jack had ever seen." Brock explained. "But Jack, who, with all his faults, was actually very brave, and a very well mannered boy, took off his hat, and said..."

In character as a boy, he spoke to an imagined dragon. "Good-day, sir; I hope you are well. Could you kindly tell me how far it is from here to a town?"

As himself, he narrated "When the dragon heard this question he burst out laughing, and as he liked the boy's polite manners he said to him..."

In a deeper version of himself, he asked "Will you enter my service?"

"Name your terms." he replied as Jack.

"If you serve me faithfully," he explained as the dragon, "I'll make sure you'll get enough wages to satisfy you."

[Wow!] Lita was amazed Brock could simultaneously perform both characters.

"So the bargain was struck, and Jack agreed to become the dragon's servant." Brock went on as himself. "He was very well treated, in every way, and he had little or no work to do, with the result that in a few days he became as fat as a Fletchinder, as round as a barrel, as red as a Corphish, and as proud as a Combusken."

Some giggles went up at the wry observation. "But, after two years, Jack got tired of this life, and longed desperately to visit his home again." Brock intoned, quieting the giggles of his offscreen audience. "The dragon, who could see into his heart and knew how unhappy he was, said to him one day..."

As the dragon again, he assured the audience. "My dear Jack, I know how much you long to see your mother and sisters again, and because I love you as the Leppa of my eye, I am willing to allow you to go home for a visit. Therefore, take this Ponyta, so that you won't have to go so far on foot; but see that you never sing 'Seios, higarima laisido' to her, or else--dragon magic like this is dangerous to a human like you."

[Spellsongs!] Kitsune gasped, starry eyed

Erin stifled a giggle at Kitsune's excitement. "Jack took the little Pokemon without as much as a thank you, and jumping on its back he rode away; but he had hardly gone two hundred yards when he dismounted and decided to see what the mysterious song did, if anything." Brock continued. "So he sang Seios, higarima laisido..."

This time, Rouge was excited. [What a beautiful voice!]

"No sooner had he sang the song than the Ponyta opened its mouth and poured forth rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds and pearls, as big as Grepa Berries, if not bigger." Brock made a form in the air to give the off screen audience an idea of just how big the jewels were.

[Goodness! Imagine te wealth you'd get wit' a stone like tat!] Erin gasped in awe

"Jack gazed in amazement at the sight of such wealth, and joyfully filling a huge sack with the precious stones, he mounted the Ponyta again and rode on till he came to an inn. Here he got down, and going straight to the landlord, he said to him...." Brock assumed the role of Jack again. "My good man, I must ask you to stable this Ponyta for me. Be sure you give her plenty of oats and hay, but beware of singing the song 'Seios, higarima laisido...' to her, or I will not be responsible for what happens. Take this heavy sack, too, and put it somewhere secure for me."

[I have a bad feeling about this...] Lita wasn't sure if entrusting a magic item to a stranger was a good idea

"The landlord--who wasn't born yesterday..." Brock added as an aside, to some giggles. "on receiving this strange warning, and seeing the precious stones sparkling through the canvas of the sack, was most anxious to see what would happen if he sang the forbidden song. So he gave Jack an excellent dinner, with a bottle of fine old wine, and prepared a comfortable bed for him. As soon as he saw Jack close his eyes, he hurried to the stables and sang to the Ponyta Seios, higarima laisido... and the Pokemon as usual poured out zillions of precious stones."

[And ten he pulls te ol' switcheroo...] Erin grinned.

"When the landlord saw all these treasures, he longed to get possession of so valuable a Pokemon, and determined to steal the Ponyta from his foolish guest." Brock intoned, quieting the offscreen giggles. "As soon as it was light the next morning Jack woke up, and having rubbed his eyes and stretched himself about a hundred times he called the landlord and said to him..."

"Come here, my friend, and produce your bill, for short reckonings make long friends." he asked as Jack.

"When Jack had paid his account he went to the stables and took out his Ponyta, as he thought, and fastening a sack of gravel, which the landlord had substituted for his precious stones, on the creature's back, he set out for home." Brock went on as himself. "No sooner had he arrived there than he called out..."

"Mother, come quickly, and bring tablecloths and sheets with you, and spread them out on the ground, and you will soon see what wonderful treasures I have brought you." he giddly called to someone as Jack.

"His mother hurried into the house, and opening the linen chest where she kept her daughters' wedding outfits, she took out tablecloths and sheets made of the finest linen, and spread them flat and smooth on the ground." Brock went on as himself, complete with spreading pantomime tablecloths on the stage. "Jack placed the Ponyta on them, and sang Seios, higarima laisido......

Soft laughter went up at the awkward silence. "But this time, he met with no success, for the Ponyta took no more notice of the magic song than she would have done if a trumpet had blasted the loudest, highest, most out of tune note it could play in her ear!" Brock announced. Laughter went up at his observation. "Two, three, and four times did Jack sing Seios, higarima laisido... but all in vain, as he might as well been singing to a rock."

My laughter turned to horror as Brock described what happened next. "Disgusted and furious with the Pokemon, he seized a thick stick and began to beat it so hard that he nearly broke every bone in its body. The miserable Ponyta was so distracted at such treatment that, far from pouring out precious stones, it only tore and dirtied all the fine linen."

[Tat's nut very nice!] Erin was just as appalled as I was.

"Keep in mind Jack doesn't know the ol' switcheroo's been pulled on him yet." I assured Erin.

"When poor Melina saw her tablecloths and sheets being destroyed, and that instead of becoming rich she had only been made a fool of, she grabbed another stick and whacked Jack so unmercifully with it, that he fled before her, and never stopped till he reached the dragon's cave." Brock went on, quieting the uproarious laughter offscreen. "When his master saw the lad returning in such a sorry plight, he understood what had happened to him, and making no bones about the matter, he told Jack what a fool he had been to allow himself to be so imposed upon by the landlord, and to let a worthless Ponyta be palmed off on him instead of his magic Ponyta. Jack listened humbly to the dragon's words, and vowed solemnly that he would never act so foolishly again."

After a pause, Brock went on. "And so a year passed, and Jack was again overcome by homesickness, and felt a great longing to see his own family again. The dragon, although he was intimidating to look upon, had a very kind heart, and when he saw how restless and unhappy Jack was, he gave him permission to go home on a visit. The day Jack left, he gave him a beautiful tablecloth, and said...

As the dragon, he instructs an imagined person "Give this to your mother; but see that you don't lose it as you lost the Ponyta, and till you are safely in your own house beware of singing "Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..." to it. If you do, the misfortune will be on your own head, for I have given you fair warning this time."

We listened as Brock continued "Jack set out on his journey, but hardly had he got out of sight of the cave than he laid the tablecloth on the ground and sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... In an instant the tablecloth unfolded itself and disclosed a whole mass of precious stones, food, and other treasures. When Jack saw this, he sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... again, and continued his journey. He came to the same inn again, and calling the landlord to him, he told him to put the tablecloth away carefully, and whatever he did not to sing "Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..." to it."

[Of course he's gonna steal this too.] Rouge predicted.

"The landlord, who was a regular rogue, answered..." Brock switched to a braggy older male voice. "Just leave it to me, I will look after it as if it were my own."

[NOT!!!] Lita jeered, to the Pokemon's giggles. I just shot them The Look--that calmed them down in a hurry.

"After he had given Jack plenty to eat and drink, and had provided him with a comfortable bed, he went straight to the tablecloth and sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... It opened right then, and displayed such costly treasures that the landlord made up his mind on the spot to steal it." Brock confirmed Lita's and Rouge's predictions seconds later.

"When Jack awoke the next morning, the host handed him a tablecloth exactly like his own, and carrying it carefully over his arm, the foolish boy went straight to his mother's house, and said..." As Jack again, Brock announced "Now we shall be rich beyond our wildest dreams, and need never go about in rags again, or lack the best of food."

As himself, he continued "With these words he spread the tablecloth on the ground and sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... But try as he might to sing the song, it was only a waste of breath, for nothing happened. When Jack saw this he turned to his mother and said..."

He grumbled as Jack "That old scoundrel of a landlord has done me once more; but he will live to repent it, for if I ever enter his inn again, I will make him suffer for the loss of my Ponyta and the other treasures he has robbed me of."

[We kin add 'mimicry' te his list of talents...] Erin was impressed with Brock's ability to do the voices of every character in his tale.

"Melina was in such a rage over her fresh disappointment that she could not restrain her impatience, and, turning on Jack, she abused him soundly, and told him to get out of her sight, for she would never acknowledge him as a son of hers again." Brock intoned. "The poor boy was very depressed by her words, and slunk back to his master like a Growlithe with his tail between his legs. When the dragon saw him, he guessed what had happened. He gave Jack a good scolding, and said..."

"I don't know what prevents me from smashing your head in, you useless ne'er-do-well!" he sighed angrily as the dragon. "You blurt everything out, and your long tongue never ceases wagging for a moment. If you had remained silent in the inn this misfortune would never have overtaken you, so you have only yourself to blame for your present suffering."

After a tense few seconds of silence, Brock continued as himself. "Jack listened to his master's words in silence, looking for all the world like a whipped Growlithe. When he had been three more years in the dragon's service he had another twinge of homesickness, and longed very much to see his mother and sisters again. So he asked for permission to go home on a visit, and it was granted to him. Before he set out on his journey the dragon presented him with a beautifully carved stick and said..."

"Take this stick as a remembrance of me; but beware of singing "Furiya, shuru shamato" to it, for if you do, I can only say I would not want to be you." he warned as the dragon.

"Don't be in the least alarmed, I'm not such a fool as you think, and know better than most people what two and two make." he confidently replied as Jack.

"I'm glad to hear that," he replied as the dragon, "but words are women, deeds are men. You have heard what I said, and forewarned is forearmed."

As himself, Brock went on "This time Jack thanked his master warmly for all his kindness, and started on his homeward journey in great spirits; but he had not gone half a mile when he sang Furiya, shuru shamato..." The words were hardly out of his mouth when the stick glowed blue and started firing arrows of ice with such lightning speed that he was almost a Jacksicle before he could sing the song again. But as soon as he sang the magic words, the stick's glow faded."

Kitsune stiffled a giggle as she pictured Jack as a Popsicle. "Although he had learned a lesson at some cost to himself, Jack was full of joy, for he saw a way now of avenging himself on the wicked landlord." Brock explained. "He arrived at the inn a third time, and was received in the most friendly and hospitable manner by his host. Jack greeted him cordially, and said..."

"My friend, will you kindly take care of this stick for me?" he requested as Jack. "But, whatever you do, don't sing 'Furiya, shuru shamato' to it. If you do, you will be sorry for it, and you won't expect any sympathy from me."

As himself, he went on "The landlord, thinking he was coming in for a third piece of good fortune, gave Jack an excellent supper; and after he had seen him comfortably to bed, he ran to the stick, and calling to his wife to come and see the fun, he lost no time in singing the song Furiya, shuru shamato..."

[Bad idea!] Rouge chirped.

"The moment he sang the stick glowed blue, and battered the landlord so unmercifully with ice that he and his wife ran screaming to Jack, and, waking him up, pleaded for mercy as they shivered with the cold." Brock continued over the laughter in the audience. "When Jack saw how successful his trick had been, he said..."

"I refuse to help you, unless you give me all that you have stolen from me, otherwise you will be frozen to death." he warned as Jack.

"Take back your property, only release me from this terrible stick and its spell!" he pleaded as the landlord.

"With these words he ordered the Ponyta, the tablecloth, and other treasures to be restored to their rightful owner. he assured the audience as himself. "As soon as Jack had recovered his belongings he sang Furiya, shuru shamato... again, and it stopped its spell right there."

He concluded. "Then he took his Ponyta and tablecloth and arrived safely at his home with them. This time the magic songs had the desired effect, and the Ponyta and tablecloth provided the family with treasures untold. Jack very soon married off his sister, made his mother rich for life, and they all lived happily ever after."

Applause went up, and Brock took a bow as the scene faded out, ending the video. "Okay, now it's Erin's turn to pick a video..." I told the Pokemon.

[I want te hear a tele of high adventure!] Erin requested.

"Adventure, huh..." A video titled "The Hunter and the Oni" got my attention, so I clicked it.

The scene came up on Brock in the theater again. "In the mountains of Kanto, it is said that the oni--or demons--of the mountains like to disguise themselves as babies to capture unsuspecting travelers." he explained. "In a certain village by Mt. Moon lived a hunter who was very brave. One day as he was coming home from a long day in the forest, he swore he heard a crying baby in the woods, but he knew well that the crying was a mountain oni on the prowl."

Erin swallowed hard at what she imagined would happen to whoever the oni captured, making a light blue aura appear around her. "He returned home, made a mask of Arceus--who all oni fear--, and returned the next day, where he found the mountain oni by a rock."

The Pokemon listened as Brock went on. "The mountain oni was startled by the masked hunter, and pleaded with him to spare it--as it believes the hunter was really Arceus--before fainting." Some giggles went up as Brock feigned fainting.

As he got up some seconds later, he continued "The hunter wasn't sure what to do with the fainted oni, and took it home. The oni came to on the way, and demanded that it be freed the whole way."

Erin's laughter was the loudest at this. "While he was busy saying his nightly prayers to Arceus, the oni escaped, and disguised itself as the Arceus statue." Brock explained. "But the hunter saw right through the disguise, and told the oni that if it played any more pranks, he would take it to the magistrate the next morning."

[Uh oh...] Lita giggled.

"The oni pleaded that it would behave, and proceeded to make dinner, serve the hunter seconds, and thirds, and fourths,..." Laughter went up at Brock's wry observation. "and massage his shoulders. Desperate to escape, the oni offered to sing a lullaby, which was actually an excuse to sing a sleep inducing spellsong..."

He then sang Gran zirtan vin fangan miti...

Kitsune tried oh-so-hard not to laugh in anticipation. "The oni didn't know that the hunter was holding the other end of her rope, and feeling it go slack was enough to break the sleep spell." Brock continued. "He asks her to clean the house, but the oni decided enough was enough, and escaped into the night, never to be seen again."

He concluded "They say that that night, the oni cleaned her own house for the first time in eons!"

Erin smiled as the video ended. [I culd listen to all tese teles for deys!]

"Well, I know some myself, so when we're not in range to use MyTube, I'll tell some anytime." I assured her as we logged off the PC for the night.

Senior Moderator

Episode 8: A Vision of Lumiose

We left the Pokemon Center early the next morning and started northward on Route 4. [Just up ahead is the really big city, right?] Rouge asked me as she fitted on my shoulder.

I nodded. "If all goes well, we should make it to Lumiose City today."

Just then, I noticed a vaguely humanoid figure sitting peacefully in the sea of yellow flowers that lined the road, oblivious to the Flabebes flying, singing and laughing around it. [What's that?] Lita asked.

Erin bounded into the flowers to try and get a better look at the figure. [It's a Ralts in te middle of its medetetion.] she reported.

"A Ralts?" Piqued, I looked at the Pokedex:

"Ralts, the feeling Pokemon. It is highly attuned to the emotions of people and Pokemon. It hides if it senses hostility."

The Ralts, however, decided to warp closer to us to study us further. Yes...I sense a deep love and respect in this girl's heart.

"Huh?" I was confused by the gentle female voice that resonated in my head. "Who said that?"

I did. The slight grin on the Ralts' face tipped me off that the Ralts was telepathically speaking to me.

"Well, we're going to Lumiose City..." I started to explain to the Ralts.

I know--I can sense that in your Pokemon's excitement. the Ralts smiled before it warped over to my bag and read its contents. Judging from all the stuff in here, you're on your way to challenge the League...

I giggled--the Ralts had correctly guessed why we traveled. "Would you want to come with us?"

The Ralts nodded. I have seen a vision of a brave young girl with a ruby ring driving back a great evil...and you look a lot like her.

[Really?] Kitsune was intrigued by the Ralts' vision. [What else do you know about the vision?]

The Ralts hung its head. Unfortunately, that is all I can see for now...but I would very much like to travel with your master and see if she really is the one in my vision.

[Ye dun't wanna battle awr anyting?] Erin wondered as she assumed a fighting pose.

No--I'm pretty sure your master will allow me to come with you--I shouldn't need to prove myself. the Ralts assured Erin.

I dug an empty Poke Ball from my bag and set it before the Ralts. "Okay--all you have to do is touch this, and you can come."

I promise I will serve you well, now and forever. the Ralts assured me before disappearing into the Poke Ball in a flash of red.

[Wait...what are we gonna call you?] Rouge asked. [We'd like to call you something other than 'Ralts']

A name of my own? the Ralts next message came from inside the Poke Ball. Let's let the girl decide.

I remembered from trainer's school that a female Ralts ultimately evolved into the beautiful princess-like Gardevoir. French names were old hat, but what was a name befitting its ultimate appearance?

My thoughts turned to memories of playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I was younger--in the game, Princess Zelda had prophetic visions in her dreams, which was a form of psychic power.

"How about Zelda?" I asked my team.

[A beautiful name!] Rouge agreed.

[You mean like that princess in that video game with the hero in green?] Lita asked.

"That's the one--in one game in the series, she is said to see visions in her dreams, which is a kind of psychic power." I explained.

Some gentle giggles resonated in my head. So you think me a princess? I'm flattered and honored you think so!

Kitsune was starry eyed at the notion of having a Gardevoir on the team. [I'm so excited! We have royalty on the team!] she cried as she romped among the flowers.

I gasped as she started to glow white in the middle of a big jump. When she landed, she was slightly larger, and shakily standing on two black muscular legs.

[It's a meericle...Kitsune was so happy to meet Zelda, she evolved.] Erin smiled.

As Kitsune uneasily tottered over to me, I read up on what she had evolved into:

"Braxien, the fox Pokemon. When the twig is plucked from its tail, friction sets the twig alight. The flame is used to send signals to its allies.

[At least we won't be stumbling through caves in the dark.] Rouge noted. [Kitsune can light the way.]

I hurried over to where Kitsune was struggling to walk upright, helped her up, and asked "Need some help while you get used to two legs?"

[Please do...it feels so strange walking like you.] Kitsune weakly replied as I helped her up.

I gently took her paws. "I'm going to hold onto your paws while you try and walk to the team, okay? This way, I can catch you if you start feeling shaky."

[Okay...] Kitsune replied.

Little by little, Kitsune hesitantly took tiny steps towards the other Pokemon. At first, her strides were confident, but she didn't see a rock in the grass, which she tripped over.

I was right there to catch her, so she wasn't hurt. [Thanks...] she smiled as I carried her the rest of the way.

[Dun't warry--Ye'll be walking in no time wit' a leetle practice.] Erin assured her.

[Going from four to two legs is probably a bit scary, but know Serena's here to catch you if you fall.] Lita assured her. [That's what friends do.]

Lita's right--true friends stick by each other through thick and thin. Zelda telepathically agreed from her Poke Ball.

I let Kitsune rest in her Poke Ball the rest of the way to Lumiose. But just as we neared the main entrance gate, a black haired girl and a dull blonde haired boy met us on the path. "Hi! You wouldn't happen to be one of the five the professor gave Pokedexes to, would you?" the girl asked.

"Yeah, why?" I asked "Who might you two be?"

"I'm Sina, and this is Dexio." the girl smiled, gesturing to the boy when she introduced him. "We're the professor's main assistants."

"The professor asked us to escort you to the lab." Dexio added.

I nodded, and followed the two of them through the gate. But none of us were prepared for the immense array of buildings and streets, with a majestic tower off in the distance. [Wow...] Lita gasped.

[Tis plece is huge!] Erin was just as amazed. [It's a wonder ye wouldn't get lost!]

"Oh, you won't get lost so long as you follow us." Dexio assured us. "So if you wanna know where something is or what a particular building is, just ask.

I decided to let my new Ralts out to see the city. "Zelda...we made it to Lumiose."

Sina noted Zelda as she materialized in the air beside me. "Say, you know about the Fairy type, yes?"

"The newest type to be discovered." I explained. "Any suggestions in case we run into a Pokemon of that type?"

"You already have--Flabebe and its evolutions." Sina explained. "Gardevoir is another example you're ultimately going to have."

"Ice, Rock, and Dark types are not effective against them, and forget about using dragons--they won't do a thing." Dexio picked up where Sina left off. "As for what IS effective against them, Poison and Steel types are a big help."

"Point duly noted." I grinned.

Lita, meanwhile, noted a majestic building on street by the lab with a glittering marquee. [Is that a movie theater?]

"Nope--that theater's used to put on plays." Dexio replied. "The professor has a small role in the play that's going to premiere tomorrow night."

I stiffled a giggle--I didn't know Prof. Sycamore moonlighted as an actor! "What's the play about?"

"You'll have to ask the professor--we're not spoiling it!" Sina grinned as we continued on our way to the lab....
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 11-22-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Senior Moderator

Episode 9: A Link to the Past, A Link to the Present

I gasped in awe when we stepped into Sycamore's lab. Assistants were scurrying about with paper, a beaker of some kind of liquid, or a requested item for an experiment. Still others were observing Pokemon, typing a report, filing books or papers or on the phone with a colleague. "Welcome to the lab." Sina smiled. "It's usually this chaotic in here, what with all the experiments we do every day."

Erin was about to say something, but Sina assured her "Don't worry, Miss Riolu--we treat every test Pokemon ethically."

[What does tat mean?] Erin cocked her head, confused.

"It means you don't hurt the Pokemon, and treat them well." I explained. I thought about going into detail about infamous experiments and unethical scientists from days of yore I learned about in Pokemon Research 101, but figured Erin would be bored, if not outright frightened, by that lecture.

"The professor's office is on the third floor." Sina snapped me back to reality.

I hurried on board the elevator behind Sina, then followed her down a hallway to a large and spacious room "Professor, I have Serena here." she announced through the intercom near the door.

"Come on inside, then." came Prof. Sycamore's reply, and the door opened, revealing a huge room crammed with books, the professor's desk, and a magnificent view of Lumiose City from a window that took up most of the north wall.

After setting a paper aside, Prof. Sycamore turned to address me. "So this is the lovely Serena...I heard about your victory against Viola."

"It was easy, really..." I smiled. "My Pikachu and now Braixen handled it very well."

"Your first Pokemon's evolved already?" Professor Sycamore asked. "I knew the five of you had potential, but to obtain the second stage evolution so quickly? That takes a lot of love, and a little patience."

I decided to summon Kitsune for the professor to see. "Here she is."

Prof. Sycamore watched as I steadied Kitsune on her wobbly legs. "It's not unheard of for a newly evolved Braxien to be a bit unsteady on two legs for the first two weeks after evolution. Just have her practice, not unlike a human child learning to walk, and she'll be outrunning a Lucario in no time at all!"

[Reely?] Erin grinned. [Ye'll have te rece me when I evolve, whenever tat mey be.]

[Consider that challenge accepted--I should be used to these legs by then.] Kitsune grinned.

"How sweet, your Riolu and Braixen get along very well!" a familiar voice cooed.

I whirled around to find Shauna and Callum had joined me in the room. "When did you guys get here?"

"Not too long ago--Tierno and Trevor are on their way." Callum replied.

"This place is huge!!!" Shauna agreed. "I'm thankful Dexio showed us the way!"

"Well, while we wait for the two others in your party to arrive, would you three like to see some Pokemon from another region in battle?"

"I do!" Callum cried.

"Yeah!" Shauna agreed.

"I would too!" I added before realizing most of my team was already out. "I'd even pit my team against these exotic Pokemon!"

"I accept your challenge, Serena--come at me with all you have!" With that, Prof. Sycamore summoned a small reptilian Pokemon with a large bulb on its back.

[What's that?] Rouge was intrigued.

I fumbled for my Pokedex to get more information on my strangely cute opponent:

"Bulbasaur, the seed Pokemon. For some time after its birth, it grows by gaining nourishment from the seed on its back."

Seeing that Bulbasaur was part Poison, I decided to pit Zelda against it--only to watch in horror as she just barely warped out of the way of a Vine Whip. I'm sorry--this opponent is much too strong for me...

[I'll take it!] Rouge volunteered as I called Zelda back. She then fired an Ember at the Bulbasaur, making it stumble backwards.

After regaining its footing, the Bulbasaur tried Absorbing some of Rouge's life energy, but it didn't weaken Rouge at all. Another Gust and the Bulbasaur was down for the count.

"Very good..." Professor Sycamore smiled. "Here's the second one..." He next summoned a small blue turtle Pokemon:

"Squirtle, the tiny turtle Pokemon. It shoots water at prey while in the water. It withdraws into its shell when in danger."

[This one's mine!] Lita cried as she relieved Rouge on our makeshift battlefield. Granted, neither me nor the professor were going at full power--I didn't want to inadvertently destroy the next huge discovery in the thick of battle.

[Bring it on, pipsqueak!] the Squirtle taunted before sticking out its tongue and retreating in its shell.

[YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!] Lita screeched angrily as she fired a Thundershock, but the tiny bolt didn't do much, since the Squirtle was in its shell.

A comical game of hide and seek began to unfold there in the room--the Squirtle would peek out, Lita would start charging a Thundershock, and the the Squirtle was disappear into its shell again, negating most of the Thundershock's damage.

Finally, Lita was at her wit's end with the Squirtle, so she darted up to it and headbutted it, forcing it out of its shell as it went flying against the professor's desk. The Squirtle didn't take that too kindly, and sprayed a stream of bubbles at Lita before heaving with exhaustion.

"Okay...Squirtle's had a good fight for today..." Professor Sycamore smiled as he recalled the Squirtle. "Here's your final opponent." With that, he summoned an orange lizard with a small flame at the tip of its tail.

I froze--I didn't have any good Pokemon against a Fire type! I still looked at the Pokedex anyway just to size up my opponent.

"Charmander, the lizard Pokemon. From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out."

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves--if I had no good Pokemon against a Fire type, I would just fight fire with fire! "You want to take this one, Kitsune?" I asked.

[I guess--i need some practice standing and bracing unassisted.] she agreed.

Next, she mimicked one of the gibberish "spellsongs" I had used in campfire stories! [Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...]

"What was that?" I gasped as a green aura formed around Kitsune.

"That was a Lucky Chant." Professor Sycamore explained. "Although I've never heard those kinds of words to summon it before..."

The Charmander tried to scratch Kitsune, but her legs got caught in a loose thread, and she fell, making the Charmander miss completely.

Inspired, the Charmander fired an Ember at Kitsune as she struggled to get up. But Kitsune was very much aware of the tiny fireball headed for her, and fired a beautiful rainbow colored beam at the Charmander.

"A Psybeam?" I recognized what Kitsune had fired.

"Of course--Braixen is part Psychic, after all." Professor Sycamore assured me.

The Charmander tried again to fire an Ember at Kitsune, but Kitsune put up a Light Screen to protect herself, making the second Ember fizzle out.

Prof. Sycamore smiled as the Charmander threw up its hands in a "I give up" signal. "All right...I concede defeat, Serena--you obviously have talent..."

"That was amazing to watch!" Shauna agreed.

"I have to agree--you could go all the way to the League with that kind of skill." Callum even applauded.

"We missed a battle? No fair!" Tierno complained as he arrived with Dexio and Trevor.

"You should've seen it! First Lita played hide and seek with a Squirtle, then Kitsune overpowered a Charmander..." Shauna gave Tierno a blow by blow of the battle that had ended minutes earlier.

"Bulbasaur...Charmander...Squirtle...aren't those the starters of the Kanto region?" Trevor wondered.

"Exactly--I received some as a gift from a colleague there." Prof. Sycamore explained as he healed the Pokemon he had used in our battle.

He then released all three on the table. "As a reward for that battle, Serena, I would like you to adopt one of these Pokemon."

[Pick me, please?] the Bulbasaur smiled cutely.

[No, Pick me! Pick me!] the Chamander begged, jumping up and down all the while.

[You're gonna pick me?] the Squirtle grinned

I smiled--all of them were very cute and sweet, but it pained me a bit that I could only pick one.

I then closed my eyes and gently touched each Pokemon on the head. "My mother told me to choose..."

When I opened them, I saw my finger was touching the Squirtle's head. "Squirtle."

"An excellent choice..." Professor Sycamore smiled. "Perhaps the three of them may help me get to the bottom of a mystery...."

"A mystery?" Tierno gasped. "The butler did it, I know it!"

Everyone laughed. "Not THAT kind of mystery!" Shauna giggled.

"Yes...it's not that kind of mystery." Prof. Sycamore chuckled. "This kind of mystery concerns certain Pokemon in this world...a long time ago, some of them were able to temporarily evolve into an even stronger form when a trainer wearing a special ring sang a mystical song that captured the emotions of their heart. It was the resonance of the trainer's and Pokemon's emotions that caused this special evolution to occur--a process known as Mega Evolution."

"Cool!" Tierno gasped.

"Have any of these rings been found, or are they known to exist at all anymore?" Callum wondered.

"That's the problem...no one knows where these rings might be, if they still exist, much less how the special songs may go..." Prof. Sycamore sighed. "All I have to go on is that this special song--known as a Heart Song--was very short, and only consisted of a few words to make it easy to remember. Every Heart Song is also unique to every trainer, so no two trainers will sing the same one."

"So, where do we start looking?" Trevor asked.

"There may be a clue in Camphrier Town, so you could start there." Prof. Sycamore replied. "That is, unless you want to train or explore Lumiose...

"We'll do it!" Shauna cried.

"Leave it to us!" Callum agreed.

Prof. Sycamore grinned as he offered us each some theater tickets. "As thanks for all you've done, please enjoy a night at the theater on me--I have a small role in tomorrow night's premiere."

"The professor, an actor?" Trevor gasped when he saw the ticket in his hand.

"This play I have GOT to see!" Tierno agreed as he dashed out the door. I was not far behind, but I wondered--could my gibberish "spellsongs" potentially be real?

Experienced Trainer Zenith Avalon's Avatar
    Awesome chapters, Sky! Those stories you used in the interlude were amazing! And I loved your YouTube spoof, that made me giggle. Your take on Mega Evolution is interesting as well. Great job!
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

Senior Moderator

Thank you--I've been taking a break for the holidays, but I will have a new episode for you Saturday