Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

The Kalos Connection (X/Y spoilers ahoy!)

Just to forewarn you, this fic is doubling as my discovery diary is I play through Pokemon Y, so there will be major spoilers if you have not gotten the game yet. In addition, it is not a straight rehash of the game--there will be a few differences in how things work.

That said, enjoy the journey!

The Kalos Connection

Episode 1: A White Hot Beginning

It all started...pretty much like any other day, actually.

I made extra sure to wake up early the day I left on my adventure. This way, I wouldn't be lost in the horde of other aspiring trainers that had probably woke up late and hoping to Arceus that they would not be stuck with a Pikachu with a attitude (extra points if they got shocked on the first attempt at picking them up) or some other "unwanted" Pokemon, like an Eevee or a Zorua.

Why would Professor Sycamore give such rare Pokemon out, anyway? Once all the Chespins, Fennekins, and Froagies were gone, they were gone--do not pass Go, do not collect 20,000 credits, better luck next year. If you were REALLY lucky, you could talk him into, oh, a Pikachu (thankfully minus the attitude) or an Eevee, but Pokemon outside Chespin, Fennekin, and Froagie were the exception, not the rule.

But I digress.

I was still sawing logs when I heard the fluttering of wings and the singing of a Fletchling on my windowsill. It chirped a greeting as I groggily looked at the clock--7:30, right on schedule.

After climbing from bed, I dragged out a traveling bag and started throwing together stuff--Potions, healing items, Berries, and that sort of thing. Next came camping gear, some extra clothes, and my most prized possession--my guitar. I was pretty sure any Pokemon I met was gonna want to hear a campfire song our two on our travels--cause who doesn't like singing songs and telling stories around a campfire?

Once sure I was happy with my bag, I took a moment to savor my room for what I figured was one last time. The PC, the Wii U I had spent hours playing Zelda, the Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Marill, DucklettTales Remastered, and many other games with my friends Callum and Shauna (more on them shortly), the movie posters on the walls--i was likely going to miss it while I was gone.

"Good morning, hon." Mom smiled as I made my way downstairs.

"Hi, Mom..." I sleepily smiled before digging through the cabinets for some cereal.

"You sure look rested this morn--!" Just then, Mom noticed my wild bedhead and my PJs. "You look like you've just rolled out of bed!" she gasped. "Go change out of your PJs, right now!"

"Okay..." I sighed, and trudged back upstairs--why didn't I think to get dressed before? I guess I was too excited about my impending adventure to care about getting dressed.

So after throwing on a black shirt (that had a beautiful plaid red skirt to match), some black leggings, my shoes, and my favorite red hat (complete with white sunglasses perched on it), I returned downstairs. "This better?" I asked Mom as I combed out my bedhead.

"That looks perfect!" she smiled as I returned to the cabinets for breakfast, take 2.

After some cereal, some toast, and a little OJ to wash it down, I informed Mom of my plans for the day. "I'm gonna hang with Callum and Shauna in town today..."

Mom just smiled--we'd been very close friends since we were little guys, and it helped they lived nearby. "Have a good day, sweetie, and don't stay out too late, okay?"

"I won't." I assured Mom as i disappeared down the front walk.

I had barely stepped out into the town square when I found Callum and Shauna waiting for me. "Hi, Serena!" Shauna giggled, her long brown ponytails bouncing along with her as she jumped about with excitement.

I giggled--Shauna was energetic as always. "Morning to both of you...."

"D'ya know what today is?" Shauna asked.

"What?" I asked, intrigued.

"Today's the day when all the new trainers leave on their journeys." Callum replied as he smoothed some wrinkles from his royal blue shirt. "That, and Prof. Sycamore wants us to do something special for him..."

"Define 'special'" I pressed Callum further.

"Come join us for coffee in Aquacorde and we'll tell ya more!" Shauna smiled before skipping off down the road. Callum was not far behind her, but noticeably more relaxed.

Aquacorde Town wasn't far from home--just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Vaniville. Because it was so close, people from Vaniville often came to its coffee shops to relax and visit.

I heard someone calling "Oi, Serena!" as I arrived in town. Confused, I looked around for a moment--who had called me? Just as I was about to blow it off as my imagination, I heard it again: "Oi, Serena!"

I whirled around and saw Callum waving at me from a table outside our favorite coffee shop--the Fletchling Roost. He smiled as I made myself at home, where he, Shauna, and two other boys were waiting. "Serena, you made it!" he grinned before gesturing to a heavy set, muscular boy. "I'd like you to meet Tierno..." The boy grinned as his latte arrived. "and Trevor." A boy with light brown hair shyly waved at me from behind the menu.

"Nice to meet you both." I smiled before noticing the water approaching. "I'd like a Frozen Mocha Latte, please..."

"Well, the gang's all here." Tierno grinned. Then a thought occurred to him. "You know? It'd feel like we're a closer crew if we all had a nickname!"

He smiled at me. "I dub thee Lady S!"

I balked--who was he to call me something so stupid?

Shauna seemed to notice my disdain for the new moniker. "Maybe calling Serena 'lady' isn't the right term--why not call her 'Li'l S' instead?"

I wisely bit my tongue--that nickname was even worse!

"I dunno...she looks more like an 'S-kins' to me." Trevor commented as a sandwich arrived with his coffee.

Thankfully, Callum saw how I was trying oh-so-hard not to explode on everyone. "Guys! If Serena wants a nickname, let's let her choose."

"Okay! What's your code name gonna be?" Tierno asked.

I thought for a moment--what was something that denoted strength and power? I'd always seen myself beautiful and powerful, and I wanted any nickname to reflect that.

A display of ruby rings in a nearby shop cave me an idea--the ruby is said to signify love, courage, and passion, right?

"How about 'Ruby-san'? I suggested to the others.

"Love it!" Shauna smiled.

"Groovy!" Tierno agreed.

We spent the afternoon enjoying our drinks before Callum offered me a box with three Poke Balls inside. "Professor Sycamore asked me to give you one of these--so which one do you want?"

I covered my eyes and pointed at each Poke Ball. "My mother told me to pick...this one!" I announced, grabbing the one in the middle.

"Ooh, what's inside?" Shauna grinned.

"Come on out!" I announced as I heaved the Poke Ball skyward, making a small fox Pokemon materialize on the table.

"Oh, a Fennekin!" Tierno smiled. "So light and graceful moves!"

I, meanwhile, contemplated a good name for my new Fennekin. "What should I name you, little guy?"

[I am NOT a boy!] it growled.

"Um, I mean, little girl..." I sheepishly stammered, making the Fennekin smile again. "How about...Kitsune?"

[I like that!] the Fennekin yipped before nuzzling me.

"Kitsune's a cute name." Shauna agreed before taking the Poke Ball on the left. "I claim Chespin!"

"...and I'll take Froagie." Callum smiled as he took the last Poke Ball.

Trevor tugged on my shirt. "Um...this is for you...." he stammered in a quiet voice as he offered me a Pokedex. "The professor wants us to go on a journey together, and these should help."

"Thank you, Trevor." I smiled as I took the Pokedex and pointed it at Kitsune.

Fennekin, the fox Pokemon. the Pokedex began. As she walks, she munches on a twig in place of a snack. She intimidates opponents by puffing hot air out of her ears.

"Interesting!" Shauna smiled. Kitsune, meanwhile, just found a twig on the ground and chewed that as we finished up our drinks.

After saying my goodbyes and receiving a letter from Tierno, I was about to start for home when Shauna caught up with me. "Don't you even want to check out our Pokemon?"

I was about to stupidly ask why, but remembered that in trainer parlance, checking out one's Pokemon usually translated to a battle. Kitsune seemed to sense a battle as well, and puffed out her ears in anticipation.

"Come on out, Chespin!" Shauna commanded, summoning a squirrel Pokemon with green thorns.

Since Fire Pokemon, such as Fennekin, beat Grass Pokemon,such as Chespin, Shauna's Chespin was down for the count with two Embers. Even after the easy win, Kitsune still looked ready for more. [Is that it? Who's next?]

Shauna just took her loss in stride. "Wow! You must be a natural!"

"I just remembered the type chart from school, that's all." I assured Shauna as I shepherded Kitsune by my side.

"I guess Chespin and I have work to do!" With that, Shauna hurried off--presumably to train. I just made my way home--It was getting dark, anyway.

"Welcome back..." Mom smiled when I arrived home with Kitsune. "And who might this be?"

"Mom, this is Kitsune." I grinned, proudly gesturing to Kitsune. "Callum gave her to me on behalf of the professor."

Tears welled up in Mom's eyes. "My little girl..you've grown up so fast to already receive your first Pokemon..."

[Is it bad if a human's eyes make water?] Kitsune asked.

"No--those are tears." I told Kitsune. "Humans make them when they cry." I then presented the letter to Mom. "This is for you..."

Mom read over the professor's letter detailing how I was to travel through Kalos, win Gym Badges, and take on the Pokemon League before composing herself. "If you believe you're ready for a journey, you're going to need more than that bag up in your room..."

"Like?" I pressed Mom for more information.

"You'll need first aid, emergency food and supplies, extra clothes...." Mom began as I brought down my gear from my room and allowed her to stash a first aid kit in one pocket, followed by food from the pantry.

Kitsune,meanwhile, was interested in the guitar case. [What's in there?]

"Something I use to sing songs with." I explained. "I'll do my best to have a campfire sing along every night, okay?"

[Sounds fun!] Kitsune yipped. I grinned--I couldn't wait to teach Kitsune such classics as "Down By the Bay", "My Darling Clementine" and many other old favorites I had played a gazillion times down through the years.

But little did I know as I went to bed that night, I would be doing more than fulfilling the professor's wishes--I was going to stop an evil team, defeat an evil dragon bird Pokemon, and save the world while I was at it!
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 10-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Oh, yay, you got this up! :D

I like how you took your own spin on the game, having the MC as an establish denizen of Vaniville instead of that new kid that suddenly gets swept off on a random adventure with people she's never met xD I really enjoyed reading this, though I have one little suggestion.

That last sentence bugs me because it's... kinda cheesy and unnecessary. I know it's a game that we're all going to be familiar with sooner or later, but I wouldn't suggest throwing out the plot of your story like that. I think you're aiming for forshadowing, but don't give away too much with a foreshadow. A good foreshadow leaves us with less information then what we had before, you know? JK Rowling didn't put at the end of her first chapter "Little did they know that that little boy would grow up to stop a nasty wizard with no nose." You'll create more interest by building up the plot rather than giving things away at this point. I mean, we don't even know anything about a bird at this point. It leaves the reader more confused than anticipated for the next chapter.

But that's just my thoughts. Really, everything else was enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds! :D *waits for next update* :3

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

Senior Moderator

I currently have 9 episodes worth of material in my playthrough so far, but I'm really excited to introduce how I changed Mega Evolution (I cut the Mega Stones entirely)

Senior Moderator

Episode 2: Earning a Shocking Pair of Wings (part 1)

I left home with Kitsune early the next morning after telling Mom my goodbyes. "I'll call or send letters as often as I can." I assured her.

"Treat Kitsune well--if you take care of her, she'll take care of you in return." Mom reminded me.

"I will." I replied.

[Are you done saying goodbye yet?] Kitsune asked with a huff. [There's a big wide world out there and here we are stuck on the front walk!]

"Be patient, Kitsune--I may not see Mom again for a long time, and it's always sad when you leave home for the first time." I assured Kitsune before hugging Mom one last time. "I love you..."

"I love you too, Serena--good luck." Mom replied as I shepherded Kitsune to my side. She waved as we started down the front walk for the last time for a while.

As we walked down the pathway leading to Aquacorde Town again, a loud bellow startled Kitsune. [What was that?] she gasped, fearfully looking around the tree lined pathway for the supposed intruder.

I then noticed a Rhyhorn lumbering through the grass, searching for its breakfast. As soon as it saw me, it unleashed another mighty bellow, as if to say "Good luck, new trainer!" "It was only a Rhyhorn." I assured Kitsune. "They tend to roam in the woods, and every year, when the new trainers leave on their journeys, they get a lot more vocal. Prof. Sycamore says it's because that time of year is mating season, but I like to think they're telling the new trainers good luck."

[We'll go with that.] Kitsune smiled at my explanation as we walked through town and onto Route 2.

Shauna and Callum were waiting for me on the route. "Serena! You made it!" Shauna grinned.

"Hey guys..." I smiled back.

Callum, meanwhile, offered me another box. "These are for you--your first set of Poke Balls."

I halfway expected him to drag me into the grass and show me for the billionth time how to catch a Pokemon:

1. Weaken the Pokemon by battle--DO NOT make it faint

2. Toss Poke Ball

3. Watch it wiggle--three wiggles usually means the Pokemon's not getting out, but you need to be prepared just in case.

4. If the Poke Ball's center dims, you've got it.

Instead, he encouraged me to go into the grass. "We're all trainers here, so we obviously don't need to go over how to catch a Pokemon. Instead, I want to see you make your first catch. Kero and me will be here if you need help." He gestured to his Froagie, who promptly proceeded to catch a Venonat with its tongue as Kitsune romped into the grass.

Kitsune, meanwhile, heard a familiar birdsong in a tree. [I found a good mark!] she called. I hurried over to the tree, where a Fletchling was uneasily singing and warily eying the Fennekin looking up at it.

I took that opportunity to look at Fletchling's Pokedex entry:

"Fletchling, the tiny robin Pokemon. Despite the beauty of its lilting voice, it's merciless to intruders that enter its territory"

Right on cue, the Fletchling dove into Kitsune, making her stumble backwards. Her first thought was to burn it with an Ember, but I warned her "Don't make it faint." She nodded, and ran to scratch it.

The Fletchling unleashed a screech of pain as Kitsune's claw dug into its wing, and started flapping up a small tornado--a Gust attack! "Watch out!" I called to Kitsune, but the thud as the Gust picked her up and dropped her made me wince. "Are you okay?"

[I think so...think I have enough strength to attack again...] she groaned as she eased herself to her feet.

The Fletchling diving at her got her attention. She fired an Ember at the Fletchling, which singed its stomach and sent it fluttering into the grass.

"Okay, Kitsune, I'll take over from here." I told Kitsune as I heaved a Poke Ball at it, which absorbed the weakened Fletchling in a flash of light...

One...

Two...

Three...

A smile formed on Kitsune's face when the center of the Poke Ball dimmed. [We did it! We caught a Fletchling!]

Callum must've heard Kitsune's triumphant bark. "Nice work out there...I was worried for a minute when I saw that Gust attack."

"May I see your Fletchling?" Shauna asked.

I obediently let it out, allowing her to heal it with a Potion from her bag. "There we go...all better! Saves you a trip to the Pokemon Center." she grinned.

The Fletchling looked up at me. [Who are you?]

"My name's Serena." I replied. "If you've always wanted to see the world, I can make it happen."

[Really?] The Fletchling was intrigued. [I've always wanted to grow into a majestic Talonflame and see what lies beyond Santalune Forest.]

[We're on a trip around Kalos, so you're gonna get your wish.] Kitsune grinned.

"Welcome to the team...Rouge." I smiled as I hugged my new Fletchling.

"Rouge...what a pretty name!" Shauna commented.

"I agree, and very fitting, since it means 'red'" Callum agreed before turning to leave. "We're going on ahead, but if you want to spend some time with Rouge, that's okay--we're in no hurry."

"Be careful!" I called before Rouge flitted on my shoulder. "Okay...if you wanna ride on my shoulder for a while, you can."

[I think I will.] Rouge replied as we continued on our way down the path...

Senior Moderator

Campfire Interlude 1: A Story Takes Flight

I spent so much time getting Rouge and Kitsune to get along (Though I can't say I blame them for their initial skittishness--Fennekins and Fletchlings are natural enemies in the wild) that by the time I got them to somewhat tolerate each other, it was too dark to continue into Santalune Forest. So I made the most of the wasted travel time, and made my camp on the plains

Kitsune was more than happy to start the fire, and Rouge flitted off to go find some Berries. They returned sometime later--Kitsune with a huge Magikarp and Rouge with several beakfuls of Leppa, Pecha, and Cheri Berries.

[You said earlier you want to see what's beyond the forest...] Kitsune told Rouge.

[Yeah--I want to see the big city in the center of the region especially.] Rouge explained. [They say there's a beautiful tower there with millions of lights on it that they turn on when night falls--or so the Pidgeys and other Fletchlings that have flown that far have told me.]

{You sure you want to believe a Pidgey?] Kitsune asked. [They may just be telling a big lie to get your hopes up]

"But there is often a chance that they are telling the truth." I reminded both Pokemon as I got the guitar out and started to tune it. "Lumiose City is a long way, but we'll get there in a few days if conditions are good and we don't get sidetracked."

[The Chespin your friend adopted--he always told me the Gym Leader there is quite renowned as an inventor and tinker--even if what he invents doesn't always work] Kitsune told me in between bites of a Leppa Berry.

"Yeah--I'm told Clemont is a bit of a character." I smiled. "Very skilled with Electric types too."

[Do you know if he has a Pikachu?] Rouge asked. [I've always wanted to meet a Pikachu--they're always so happy and carefree.]

[I dunno--anger or bother them too much and they'll give you a Thunderbolt you'll never forget.] Kitsune cautioned--she did not like the idea of being shocked by a mob of angry Pikachus.

"I'm not sure if he does or not--but probably the most famous tamed Pikachu belongs to a Kanto boy who dreams of being the very best trainer in the world." I told both of them.

[If that boy ever comes to Kalos, I want his autograph!] Kitsune cried, stars in her eyes.

[You can always tell where Pikachus have been if you see charred Berries on the forest floor.] Rouge told me.

"I'll have to remember that tomorrow." I assured Rouge as I finished tuning up. "Now then...who's up for a story?"

[Only if it's not too scary...] Rouge replied.

[I wanna hear an adventure story!] Kitsune begged. [Magic, heroes, princesses, dragon Pokemon, and epic quests!]

I grinned at Kitsune's enthusiasm. "Well...in a far away land there reigned a king, and he had an only daughter who was so very beautiful that there was no one in the whole kingdom who could be compared to her. She was named Princess Petra, and the fame of her beauty, kindness,and wisdom spread far and wide."

Rouge sighed dreamily over my relaxed melody as she pictured what she imagined Princess Petra to look like. "There were many princes among her suitors, but the one she loved best came from a kingdom on the hills--we'll call him Derek. She obtained her father’s consent and blessing to their marriage, and then, attended by a huge retinue, set off with her lover for the shrine, Most of the princes who had been unsuccessful returned disappointed to their own kingdoms: but one of them, who was really the nightmare Pokemon Darkrai in disguise, was so mad that he vowed he would have his revenge."

[Uh oh...] Kitsune swallowed hard.

"So he turned himself into a whirlwind and lay in wait for the princess." I intoned over a minor keyed version of 'Here Comes the Bride' "When the wedding procession was about to enter the shrine, the air was suddenly filled with a blinding cloud of dust, and Petra went flying high as the highest clouds, and then right down to an underground palace. There Darkrai--who brought her down there to begin with--left her there, lifeless."

[Oh no!] Rouge gasped.

[D-did Princess Petra ever wake up?] Kitsune worried

"When she opened her eyes, she found herself in such a magnificent castle that she figured some king must have run away with her. She got up and began to walk around, When she got to the kitchen, the table was set with gold and silver dishes, filled with food of all kinds."

[Mmm...] Kitsune licked her lips at what the magnificent feast must have looked like.

"She returned to the sofa and lay down to rest, but being unable to sleep, she looked first at the door, and then at the lamp burning on the table, then at the door again, and then back to the lamp. Suddenly the door opened by itself, and four demons that were fully armed came in the room. They carried a golden throne, upon which was seated Darkrai. He came close up to the sofa and attempted to kiss Princess Petra, but she smacked him in the face."

Both Rouge and Kitsune roared with laughter as they pictured Darkrai receiving the slap and having little Torchics running around his head. "Understandably his cry of pain was so loud, that the palace walls trembled. Yet his love for her was so great that he did his best not to show his anger, and turned away as if to leave her. But as he was still a bit dazed, he fell down, dropping a cap he was carrying."

[There's your magic item...] Rouge grinned at Kitsune.

"Now, this cap had the power of making its wearer invisible." I explained. "The demons hurried up to their master, and placing him on his throne took him out of the room."

[And then?] Kitsune asked over the interlude I was playing.

"No sooner had Princess Petra found herself alone she jumped off the sofa, locked the door, and picking up the cap ran to a mirror to try it on and see how it fit her." I went on "Imagine her amazement when looking in the mirror she saw—nothing at all!"

Rouge giggled as she pictured the princess' reaction. "She took off the cap, and she was there again just as she was before." I continued. "She soon found out what sort of cap it was, and marveling in owning such an item, put it on again and began to walk about the room. Just then the door flew open, and Darkrai stormed in. But he found neither Princess Petra nor the cap, and concluded that she had taken it. "

Kitsune's laughter was the hardest as I played a "frantically searching" melody. "He began to search high and low; he looked under all the furniture, behind the curtains, and even beneath the carpets, but it was all in vain. Meanwhile Princess Petra, still invisible, had left the palace and run into the garden, which was very large and beautiful. There she lived without Darkrai having any clue, eating the delicious Berries, drinking water from the fountain, and enjoying the helpless fury of Darkrai, Sometimes she would throw the Berry seeds in his face, or take off the cap and show herself for a split second: then she would put it on again, and laugh at his rage."

[Hee hee...poor Darkrai!] Rouge wheezed.

"One day, while playing this game, the cap caught in the branches of a Berry bush." I intoned over a tense riff. Darkrai, seeing this, ran up, grabbed Princess Petra in one hand and the cap in the other, and was about to carry them both off when he heard the sound of a trumpet way off in the distance."

[The hero has come!] Kitsune smiled, confident at what happened next

"Darkrai trembled with rage and muttered words that I won't repeat here." I continued. "He cast a spell that put Princess Petra to sleep, covered her with the invisible cap, and grabbing huge sword, rose up in the air as high as the clouds, so that he might fall upon his assailant and kill him in one blow."

[What about Prince Derek?] Rouge interrupted. [What happened to him?]

"Well, after the storm had upset the wedding procession and carried off Princess Petra, the whole court was panicking." I explained "The king, the princess’s attendants, and Prince Derek sought her in every direction, calling her by name, and asking anyone and everyone they met. At last, the king in despair declared that if Prince Derek did not bring back his daughter, he would destroy his kingdom and have him killed. And to the other princes present he promised that whosoever among them should bring Petra back would have her for his bride and receive half of the kingdom. At this command, they all mounted their Ponytas and hurried off in every direction.

Kitsune tried oh-so-hard not to cry as I continued "Prince Derek, overpowered with grief and dismay, traveled three days without eating, drinking, or sleeping. On the evening of the third day he was quite worn out, and stopping his Ponyta in a field, got down to rest for a short time. Suddenly he heard cries, as of something in pain, and looking round saw an enormous Noctowl tearing a Buneary with its claws. Prince Derek grabbed the first hard thing that came to his hand; and with the heave of a huge piece of obsidian, killed the Noctowl with the first blow. The rescued Buneary ran up to him and gratefully licked his hands, but after it had ran off, the piece of obsidian spoke to him and said, “Prince Derek, accept my grateful thanks for the good turn you have done me. I belonged to an unhappy man who took his own life, and for this crime of suicide I have been condemned to roll in the mud until I was the means of saving the life of one of Arceus' creatures. I have been kicked about for nearly a thousand years, crumbling miserably on the earth, and without exciting the compassion of a single individual. You have been the means of setting me free by making use of me to save the life of that poor Buneary. In return for this kindness I will teach you how to call to your aid a shining Ponyta, who belonged to my master. She will be able to help you in a thousand ways, and when in need of her you have only to walk out on the plains without looking behind you, and to sing...."

I next played a D chord and sang the first eleven notes of Epona's Song from Zelda: Hoo-oo-ooh, hoo-oo-ooh, hoo-oo-oo-woo-ooh...

[Interesting song...] Rouge was intrigued.

"Prince Derek thanked the obsidian piece, dug a hole at the foot of a tree, and reverently buried it, repeating over it prayers for the dead. Just as he finished, he saw a small blue light come out of the ground and fly towards heaven." I went on."When he couldn't see it any more, Prince Derek made a sign of Arceus and resumed his journey. He had gone some way on the plains when he stopped, and without looking back tried the effect of the magic song, singing..." I then sang Hoo-oo-ooh, hoo-oo-ooh, hoo-oo-oo-woo-ooh... again.

Both Kitsune and Rouge waited for me to describe the Ponyta. "No sooner had Prince Derek sang the last note did a Ponyta with shining blue fire for her mane come running up to him. Her name was Epona, and she was light as air, with a shining white coat and a sapphire blue mane. When she asked Prince Derek what she wanted him to do, he told her everything. Then Epona sang..." I then sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

[A magic spell!] Rouge gasped.

"...and in a flash of red light, Prince Derek was clad in a suit of splendid armor." I went on. "In addition to silver plate, he wore a steel helmet inlaid with gold, and his sword and bow completed the look. What's more, he felt himself filled with superhuman strength and bravery. When he stamped his foot and shouted the earth shook and gave forth a sound like thunder, so much so the very leaves fell from the trees. 'What must we do? Where are we to go?' he asked. Epona replied, 'Your bride, Princess Petra, has been carried off by Darkrai, the Nightmare Pokemon. This powerful scourge must be defeated, but he lives a long way from here, and nothing can touch or wound him except the sword that belongs to a monster with the head and eyes of a basilisk.'"

[Here comes the quest...] Kitsune flared her ears in excitement.

"Prince Derek leaped aboard Epona, and they set off immediately, clearing high mountains, dark forests, raging rivers; and so light was Epona's step that she galloped over the grass without so much as bending a single blade, and along sandy roads without raising even a grain of dust." I continued over an exciting riff. "Finally, they reached a vast plain, strewn with human and Pokemon bones. They stopped in front of a huge mountain, and Epona said' Prince Derek, this mountain that you see before you is the head of the monster with basilisk eyes, and the bones that whiten the ground are the skeletons of his victims, so beware of his eyes. The heat of the midday sun has made the giant sleep, and the sword with the never-failing blade lies there before him. Bend down and quietly approach until we are close enough, then grab the sword. Without the sword, not only will the monster be unable to harm you, but he himself will be completely at your mercy.'”

[What did Prince Derek do?] Rouge gasped, her eyes shining in anticipation.

"Epona quietly approached the huge creature, upon which the prince bent down, and quickly picked up the sword." I explained over a sneaking motif. "Then, mounting Epona again, he cheered loud enough to wake the dead. The giant lifted his head, yawned, and turned his bloodthirsty eyes on Prince Derek; but seeing the sword in his hand he calmed down, and asked for Prince Derek to spare him.”

[Why?] Kitsune was intrigued.

"The monster explained that he had once been a great knight of the race of giants, and if it were not for the wickedness of Darkrai he should have lived in peace." I went on. "Darkrai was jealous of his looks and talents, and tried to kill him, or at least gravely wound him, winding up cursing him into his current form. All his strength, which is extraordinary, lied in his heart, and his body could only be cut by the sword in Prince Derek's hand. If he succeeded in killing Darkrai, he would be healed of his terrible curse."

Both Pokemon listened as I started an adventurous melody. "Prince Derek bade Epona carry him to the kingdom of Darkrai. They reached the garden gate at the very second when Darkrai had spotted Princess Petra and was running after her. The trumpet challenging him to fight had obliged him to leave her, which he did, after putting on the invisible cap."

[I see! It was the prince that sounded the trumpet earlier!] The lightbulb went off in Kitsune's head.

"As Prince Derek was awaiting the answer to his challenge, he heard a mighty rushing wind, and looking up saw Darkrai preparing to aim at him from a great height. But he missed his aim and fell to the ground so heavily that his body was half buried in the in the ground." I went on to some giggles. "The prince had no problem killing Darkrai with the sharp smiting sword."

[Yay!] Rouge cheered at Prince Derek's victory.

"With Darkrai dead, his spell on Princess Petra and his curse on the knight were broken." I went on over a happy melody. "When they got home, the king, overcome with joy, kissed Princess Petra fondly, and the same evening she was married to the devoted Prince Derek. The king himself led her to the altar, and to his son-in-law he gave half his kingdom. So splendid was the wedding festivities, that no eye has ever seen, nor ear ever heard of its equal since then."

[That was great!] Kitsune cheered

Rouge brushed away a happy tear. [I love happy endings...]

"I'll try to tell you guys a story every night as we travel." I assured the Pokemon as they romped off to bed..

Senior Moderator

Episode 3: Earning a Shocking Pair of Wings (part 2)

After breaking camp the next morning, we continued on our way down the path to Santalune Forest. Kitsune trotted by my side, and Rouge rode on my shoulder, singing happily all the while to welcome a new day.

Her song got a boy's attention. "Excuse me, do you have any antidotes or Pecha Berries?" he asked.

"i do--what's the matter?" I asked.

"My Zigzagoon--his name is Sly--got poisoned by the bugs in the forest, and I'm scared he'll faint before we get to a Pokemon Center." he explained.

"I have a few Pecha Berries left over from last night--where is Sly now?" I asked.

"Come on--I'll show you where he is." The boy led me into the grass and over to a tree, where a Zigzagoon was uneasily resting in the grass, breathing heavily from the poison's effects. "I'm back, Sly...and I have help." he gently assured the Zigzagoon as he removed a white blanket and assessed a bite wound in its bushy brown fur. "Name's Austin--I was so excited to get to Santalune City and have Sly take on Viola, the Gym Leader, but Sly can't battle like this."

I knelt down and offered Sly a Pecha Berry. "Hello, Sly...here's something to help you feel better." The Zigzagoon happily snapped up the Berry, thankful for my help.

Once sure Sly was comfy again, I addressed Austin. "Before you travel through the forest again, pack lots of remedies." I told him. "They'll be a huge help against Viola, since she uses bugs too. As for Sly, let him rest for a bit longer, then take him to a Pokemon Center."

"Okay! Thanks!" Austin called. He waved goodbye as I returned to the path.

[That was very nice of you...] Rouge smiled.

"Well, trainers help other trainers as much as they can." I explained as we approached the supply outpost that marked the forest entrance. "It's courtesy."

I was about to say more when someone called "There you are!"

"Shauna?" I whirled around and saw Shauna by the forest entryway. "What are you doing here?"

"I came in hopes you'd let me go with you in the forest--it's dangerous to go alone, after all." Shauna explained.

I smirked at Shauna's Zelda reference. "Okay, we can go together."

"Yes!" Shauna cried. "If you run into trouble, I can heal your Pokemon for you." She proudly gestured to her bag, which was bulging with Potions, antidotes, Paralyze Heals, Awakenings, and Arceus knows what else. How she could've afforded it all, I didn't know, but it gave me some comfort in knowing I wouldn't have to hike all the way back to Aquacorde if things got bad.

"Okay--let's stay together." I explained as we stepped into the forest. "I'll be making trail markers if we get lost or separated."

"Got it!" Shauna replied as I bent a twig into a vaguely one-like shape to mark the entrance.

For a while, our expedition was uneventful--Shauna seemed to enjoy admiring the sun streaming through the trees, Beautiflies and Vivillions flitting about, and the Scatterbugs munching on leaves.

It was only after I made another trail marker that I saw some charred Leppa Berry skins on the ground. "Must be Pikachus close by..."

"Really?" Shauna was intrigued.

"Rouge says you can tell where they've been if you see charred Berries or Berry skins on the ground." I explained as I stepped over a tree root. "As cute as they are, if we find one, don't go nuts over it--that may scare them away."

A "Pika!" by my foot got my attention. When I saw that a Pikachu had been following us ever since we found the clump of charred Berries, I smiled.

"Hello there..." I smiled at it before consulting my Pokedex:

"Pikachu, the mouse Pokemon. It has small electric sacs on both its cheeks. If threatened, it looses electric charges from the sacs."

Shauna stooped down to pet it, but it sparked at her, so she wisely backed away. It didn't seem to mind my approaching it, though--probably because it seemed more interested in digging through my bag than the two humans observing it.

I gasped when I saw the Pikachu had a somewhat heart shaped tail. "It's a girl!"

"You don't have a Daddychu or Pichus, do you?" Shauna cooed to it.

[Nuh-uh, I would rather explore the world than be a mamachu.] the Pikachu explained before it found my Poke Balls. [Can I come with you?]

"Well, if you've followed us all the way here, I have no problem with you joining me." I smiled before gently touching the Pikachu with the Poke Ball she found, allowing her to go inside in a flash of red light.

"Nice, you didn't even have to battle!" Shauna grinned before noticing the sun was beginning to set, and we still had a ways to go before we reached any form of civilization. "Wow, is it nighttime already?"

"Fraid so..." I replied as we arrived in a clearing. "We'll camp here for tonight." With that, I decided to release my new Pikachu. "I think I'll call you...Lita..."

[What a pretty name!] Rouge chirped.

[Welcome aboard, Lita.] Kitsune nuzzled her. [You're gonna be on the adventure of a lifetime!]

[I can't wait!] Lita happily squeaked as I petted her....

Experienced Trainer Zenith Avalon's Avatar
    I'm really enjoying this story so far! I like how you're doing your own interpretation of the games' story without deviating a whole lot! You made each of the characters feel real, even though there isn't much to go on about their personalities. I also really loved your campfire story about Darkrai, the princess, and prince! Keep up the great work!!
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

Senior Moderator

Thanks--The point of the campfire interludes is to develop the Pokemon (and any other people with Serena, like Shauna will be in this next one I'm releasing today)

Another huge difference is how Mega Evolution works, but I'm not revealing that just yet

Senior Moderator

Campfire Interlude 2: Friends by the Fire

When I started the fire, Lita was mesmerized by the flickering flames. [So warm...]

"You won't even need to look for berries tonight--I brought food!" Shauna grinned as she prepared some ground beef for cooking.

"Thanks...saves me a lot of trouble." I smiled. "I have some food too, in case it doesn't turn out good."

"Relax--I learned a few recipes good for a campfire before we left, so we shouldn't be messing with stomachaches from bad food." Shauna assured me.

"I'll take your word for it, then." I replied as I pitched my tent

Lita seemed interested in what Shauna was making, so Shauna explained every step of her recipe to her. "First, I'm gonna fold the aluminum foil so there's two layers..." After doing this, she explained "Then I'm gonna put about a burger patty sized mound of meat inside...put a little oil over it...add some vegetables....then fold the foil so that it makes a flat packet..."

She then reached for some tongs. "Then you put it over the fire and let it all cook for a few minutes."

[Mm... smells delicious...] Lita smiled as Shauna watched the packets, making sure to turn them so that they cooked evenly.

[I agree...] Kitsune agreed.

After a few tense seconds, Shauna removed the packets from the fire, carefully opened one, and poked one of the potatoes with a fork. When it went through easily, she smiled. "Okay! Let's eat!"

I took the other packet and took a bite. "Hm....wow...Shauna, this is great!"

"My family always makes these when we go camping--it's Shauna's Dinner in a Packet!" Shauna grinned. "Really easy to clean up, too, so we don't have to worry about wild Pokemon getting into our stuff."

After securing the trash in a tree (not that there were Ursarings in the forest, but Shauna wanted to be absolutely sure, just in case) and doing the dishes, she decided to let out her Chespin. "Come on out, Chester!"

"Chester?" I asked as her Chespin materialized on the grass.

"I thought the name was cute." Shauna replied as she fed Chester what was left of her packet.

Kitsune, meanwhile, romped up to Chester. [No hard feelings about before, okay?]

[No offense taken.] he assured her. [Ya were always the most determined ta win a battle, even if ya did scorch me good back there.]

Then he spotted my guitar case. [Oh boy! We're gonna have a sing-along!]

[And stories, too!] Kitsune added.

Lita, meanwhile, was intrigued as I started tuning up. [What kind of stories do you tell?]

"All kinds--adventure tales, funny stories, scary stories, stories about why things are, and some true stories from our regional history." I explained.

[She even takes requests!] Kitsune added.

[You'll love it!] Rouge agreed.

As soon as I was tuned, Shauna sang at the top of her lungs We'll be coming round the mountain when we come! We'll be coming round the mountain when we come!.... as I played along.

[But we're nowhere near a mountain....] Lita interjected, stopping the song.

"It's just how the song goes, okay?" I assured Lita as I started the song again.

We'll be coming round the mountain when we come! We'll be coming round the mountain when we come! Shauna sang again. We'll be coming around the mountain, we'll be coming round the mountain, we'll be coming round the mountain when we come...

---------

"Okay, Serena...what kind of story do you have for us tonight?" Shauna asked as the last chord of "Yellow Submarine" faded into the night.

I thought for a moment for a story Shauna and Chester would probably like, then began. "There was once a prince that had three sons. The first two followed in their father's footsteps, but the third--we'll call him Harrison--did not. He said he wanted to be a ranger."

[What's a ranger?] Lita asked.

"Someone who takes care of parks and forests, and guides people through forests." Shauna explained.

"The father was angry and kicked him out of the house." I continued over a sad interlude. "He gave him shepherd's garb, and Harrison went out into the world."

[That's not very nice!] Lita gasped, sparking a little.

"He had been walking through a forest for three days. He was hungry and cold, and everything seemed to be against him. He was tired too, and he finally fell asleep under a tree." I continued. "As he was sleeping, an old mage came to him. He would not leave him to sleep, but woke him up. Harrison was understandably frightened at first, but the mage told him there was no need to be afraid--he only used his powers to do good things."

[Oh, a friendly wizard!] Chester smiled.

"So Harrison stayed with him for seven years and learned many languages, how to play the Pokeflute, and all kinds of other stuff." I went on. "Now, in that land there was a king who had an only daughter--we'll call her Ariana, since the moon was shining brightly on the night she was born. There was a fierce Noivern which was ravaging the whole of that kingdom, and everybody was forced to give him one Mareep and one person chosen by lot to appease him. So the lot fell on Princess Ariana too."

[Oh no...] Rouge puffed up her feathers a little in fear.

[Someone's gonna save her, okay?] Lita assured Rouge.

"The old mage told Harrison that something had to be done to deliver the people and to save Princess Ariana from being eaten by the Noivern." I continued. "He told him to go to the next house and ask to be hired as a shepherd, and in the morning he would have to drive the Mareep into the forest. So they said their goodbyes to each other, and Harrison was hired as a shepherd. The next morning, he drove the Mareep into the forest, where the old mage was waiting for him. When he came with the Mareep, the old mage gave him a wand and a ring, and said..."

"When you sing 'Karuto, ichiida shou'...to this ring, you will first be brought to a castle where a giant dwells, and you will have to fight the giant. This wand will help you to do it. Then you must take his robe, his Ponyta, and his sword. When you sing the spellsong again, you will be brought to the town, and it will be about the time that Princess Ariana will be brought out."

[And then?] Kitsune puffed out her ears in anticipation

"So Harrison took his leave and everything happened as the old mage had said. As he came near to the castle, the giant was looking outside, and he demanded to know what Harrison was looking for." I continued over a tense melody. "When Harrison replied he was looking for a fight, the giant got mad at this--how dare was a human stronger than him?"

The Pokemon giggled as I started the Zelda theme. "He was holding a great club in his hand, and he flung it at Harrison, but Harrison dodged it and the club sank deep into the ground, it had been flung with such force. So Harrison went right up to him, and zapped him with the wand."

[What spell did he cast?] Lita interrupted.

"I don't know, the tale never really says." I confessed. "Just assume it was something giants don't like."

Lita seemed to accept that answer, so I continued "The giant tumbled over, and Harrison took his sword and cut off his head. Then he took a crystal key out of the giant's pocket. He opened the lock, took the robe and the Ponyta, and dressed himself as a knight. Then he sang Karuto, iichiida shou... to the ring, and in a moment he found himself on the road along which they were bringing Princess Ariana to be devoured by the Noivern. When he saw the procession, he asked what was going on and why the people were crying. When told it was because Princess Ariana was to be eaten by a Noivern, Harrison asked to be led to the Noivern's den."

[And then?] Chester gasped, his eyes shining in anticipation.

"So he rode up to the Noivern's cave, and demanded a fight." I continued. But the Noivern answered that he wasn't in the mood to fight that day. If he wanted a fight, Harrison would have to come again the next day."

The camp exploded in laughter at the turn of events. "That's one lazy Noivern!" Shauna wheezed in between giggles.

I waited for the laughter to quiet, then went on. "So Harrison returned the next day. He rode towards them and said that the Noivern would not leave his den today. So they all went back to the town with the knight, and the king would not let him leave on any account...."

Some time later...

..."They brought him before the princess, and she made him tell her how he had got that ring and how he had been clothed." I continued over a love theme. "So he said: 'All those three days I was with you.'"

[Aw...] Chester sighed dreamily.

"Harrison did not go back to the marshal, though he complained of the loss of his shepherd." I continued. "He was clad in royal robes now, and they had a splendid wedding in the castle. But Princess Ariana did not know what his heritage was, although she could see that he was not a common man."

I then concluded "They lived together for a long time, and Harrison and the old mage went on many more adventures. But that is another story for another day!"

[YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!] Lita cheered as she applauded.

[Encore!] Chester agreed.

"I don't know what you do to learn all those cool stories..." Shauna smiled as she put out the campfire and started for her tent. "But whatever you do, please keep doing it!"

Whooops, fell behind there for a bit! :O Still, I managed to catch up! :D

So, again, I just really like the direction you're taking with this story ^^ I was also excited to see a female Pikachu join the team--because that was one of my first Pokemon in my playthrough of the game, too x3 I kinda have to wonder if Serena's going to get any rebels on her team xD They all seem to get along so well, lol. (that might just be the drama queen talking in me, though) Are they based off thier in-game natures, btw?

I have to say, that Darkrai folk tale was awesome--probably my favorite tale so far x3

Keep up the good work! ^^
    Last edited by FedoraChar; 10-29-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame