Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Senior Moderator

Episode 17: Clearing a Path

"Thank you so much for the fireworks!" Shauna grinned as we departed the palace with Liam's Pokeflute later that afternoon.

"And thank you both--for finding Colette safe." the butler smiled.

Then, something occurred to him. "In fact, allow me the opportunity to show you that a Pokeflute can be a serious instrument..." With that, he handed both Shauna and me Pokeflute cases.

"Thanks." I smiled. Even though I had once sworn off playing the Pokeflute after that torturous third grade music class, the slender black case in my hands and the memory of Ash playing made me wonder: Was there more to the instrument than the endless renditions of "Mary Had a Little Mareep" and "Hot Cross Buns" all those years ago?

Chester seemed excited by the cases we carried. [I'd like to hear one of you play those Pokeflutes...]

"...and I need to rest from walking...." Shauna wheezed as she sat down in the grass and cuddled Chester.

"Very well--if you're feeling tired, we can rest for a moment." the butler assured us. "But let's not tarry any longer than we need to."

I nodded, carefully opened the Pokeflute case, and studied the instrument inside. It didn't look any different from millions of other deep brown or black plastic Pokeflutes, or the occasional lighter browns wooden instruments sometimes came in.

After looking the instrument over and finding no scratches or cracks, I decided to try playing it. After a few initial weak and flat notes, I started playing an airy and squeaky improvisation trying to remember all the fingerings.

Then I saw a fingering chart in the case, so using that as my guide, I managed to eke out a very mistake-filled rendition of "Jelan's Prayer" from "The Song Mage Chronicles". [Nut bad fer nut pleying in a long time!] Erin smiled as she applauded.

"It'll get better with practice, don't worry!" Shauna agreed.

[Even though it was filled with a lot of airy and wrong notes, you still gave it your all--that's what made it beautiful to me] Rouge smiled.

I was about to acknowledge my applause when a white light got my attention. "What the..." I gasped as Kaitou started to transform into a slightly larger turtle with wing-like ears and a long, furry tail.

"Perhaps your attempt at a song made your Squirtle happy enough to evolve." the butler grinned.

I set my Pokeflute aside and retrieved my Pokedex to read up on what Kaitou had become:

Wartortle, the turtle Pokemon. Its furry tail is popular as a symbol of longevity.

Tears of happiness formed in my eyes. "You really liked that enough to evolve?"

[Of course--I know it'll sound as beautiful as it once did with some practice.] Kaitou echoed Rouge's sentiments as I put my new Pokeflute away.

"Speaking of music, what can you tell us about the songs said to trigger Mega Evolution?" Shauna asked as we started down the road again.

"Not much, I'm afraid..." the butler sighed. "The Mega form lies dormant in the Pokemon said to be able to do this, and only awakens when the trainer's Heart Song is sung. But what these are and the rings used to trigger Mega Evolution have been long since lost." Shauna nodded to show she understood.

The look of pure joy on Liam's face when he saw us arriving with his instrument made Shauna forget about Mega Evolution for a while. "You found it! Thank Arceus it wasn't lost or stolen!"

"It was merely in your room the whole time." the butler assured him as he handed the case to Liam. I wanted to tell Liam about chasing down flighty Furfrou, but decided that would spoil the happiness in the air.

"Say...you have your guitar, right?" Shauna grinned. "Maybe you could back Liam up on whatever tune he plays!"

Liam grinned when he saw me retrieve my guitar and start to tune up. "Any suggestions for what kind of tune will wake up lardball here?" he asked. The Snorlax, meanwhile, just gave a blissful purr as it slept.

"Anything fast, and upbeat." I suggested as I played around with a harmonic progression in A minor.

My little riff seemed to inspire Liam--he started the tune "The Swellow's Tail" over my rhythm, and Shauna helped clapping some rocks together for percussion. Someone joined in on fiddle, and more drums, until a ragtag band was all playing the tune at the bridge.

The Snorlax lifted its head upon hearing the noise, and started to slowly lumber off into the brush as the tune continued. Just as quickly as they had joined in, the other instruments dropped out,until it was just me, Liam, and Shauna finishing the tune.

"Bravo, Liam!" the butler smiled as he applauded. "Wonderful, as always!"

"It was great to play this again..." Liam smiled before addressing us. "Thank you both for playing with me--it's not often I get to have an impromptu session on the road...usually I play for parties and sessions indoors."

"We'll come jam with you again anytime you want!" Shauna grinned.

"Yes...that song and a gift of Pokeflutes for both of us made me want to start playing again." I grinned.

Liam smiled. "Cherish your instruments, both of you, and practice as often as you can for me, okay?"

"We will!" I called as we departed across the bridge.

Erin was singing "The Swellow's Tail" all the way down the road, which got Callum's attention. "Well! I see Erin's in a good mood today..."

[Ye missed a fine session at te bridge!] Erin smiled. [Got even te Snorlaxes dancin']

"I'm sure it sounded wonderful..." Callum smiled before turning business-like again. "But the reason I came was to invite you two over to see the daycare that's not far from here. When I left, Trevor and Tierno were having the time of their lives playing with the babies."

"Baby Pokemon!!!!" Shauna gasped, starry eyed at the prospect of seeing Pichus, Azurills, Happinis, and other baby Pokemon up close.

"We'd love to come see the babies." I told Callum.

"Come on then." Callum motioned for us to follow him down the road...

Senior Moderator

Daycare Interlude: Little Pokemon, Big Dreamers

Callum led the way inside the festively decorated common room. "Keep it down--the younger babies are napping right now." he whispered as we quietly walked past some Pichus sleeping in a heap.

"Aw..." Trevor smiled as he admired the sleeping Azurill in his arms. "Look at them--they look so cute all relaxed like this."

"Hello, and welcome!" a breeder grinned as she carried a dozing Cleffa to the nap room. "Feel free to look around while the younger babies nap. If you have any questions, let me or one of the other breeders know."

"Okay." Shauna smiled before peeking into one of the playrooms, where some of the older babies were playing quietly, under the watchful eyes of older Pokemon. A Tyrogue was explaining the rules of a game to a crowd of Togepis, Cleffas, and Pichus before a male breeder let them all outside to play.

"They're cute, aren't they?" Tierno wheezed as he helped a Riolu put away some scarves. "My little crew and I have been dancing all morning."

"They all are." Shauna agreed before we found another playroom filled with baby Pokemon playing quietly.

A thought occurred to her when she noticed my guitar case. "Say...you could play your guitar and sing with them!"

"Or tell'em one of your campfire stories!" Tierno suggested.

I found a chair overlooking the rug in the center, where some babies were drawing or looking at picture books. "Who wants to hear some stories and songs?"

Forget drawing and picture books--I soon had a crowd of baby Pokemon sitting at my feet as I carefully and quickly tuned up. "Any ideas as to what we should sing?" Callum asked.

I just strummed an expectant D chord The more we get together, together, together, oh the more we get together, the happier we'll be...

The more we get together, together, together, oh the more we get together, the happier we'll be... Callum and Shauna joined in. For your friends are my friends, and my friends are your friends. The more we get together, the happier we'll be...

Then Callum started singing I love to go a-wandering along the mountain track
    And as I go I love to sing, my knapsack on my back....

Valderi, valdera, valderi, valder-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Shauna and I eagerly joined in.
    Valderi, valdera, my knapsack on my back...

"The Happy Wanderer" went over very well--the babies especially liked the "Valderi, valdera" parts. So did my version of "The Ninetales"--most versions of the song end after Old Lady Tachibana screams to John that the Pidgey's gone (the babies really got a kick out of me screaming as Old Lady Tachibana), but I add some verses that presume Ninetales makes it home with her prey. Then Callum led "Sloop John B", and Shauna practically begged for me to play "I've Been Working on the Railroad" (Callum helped by doing some train noises on a harmonica, which the babies loved), and "Clementine" (they eagerly sang along with that one)

When I ended "Yellow Submarine" hours later, I decided it was time for a story. "Once upon a time, there was a king who had seven sons, and he loved them so much that he couldn't bear to be without them, even for a few minutes."

[Aw...] an Azurill sighed dreamily.

Now, when they grew up, six of them were to find princesses of their own, but as for the youngest--we'll call him Jake--his father kept him at home." I went on. "So the king gave the elder six the finest clothes, so fine that the light gleamed from them hundreds of miles away, and each had his Ponyta, which cost many a gold piece, and so they set off."

I played a rhythmic little melody to mimic traveling. "After visiting many palaces, and just as many princesses, they came to a king who had six daughters; who were so beautiful that it was hard to find any to compare in the land."

[I'm sure they were...] a Happini mused.

"Each of the elder six took a princess as his bride, and set off for home again, but they forgot that they were to bring back with them a sweetheart for Jake, their brother, who was at home, for they were head over heels in love with their own sweethearts." I explained, to some giggles as the babies pictured the princes with heart eyes.

"But when they had gotten a good ways home, they passed close by a steep hillside, like a wall, where a giant's house was." I intoned as I played a fearful riff. The giant came out, and just by looking at them, turned them all into stone, princes and princesses alike. The king waited and waited for his six sons, but the more he waited with no word as to where they were, the more worried and sad he got."

[Poor king...] a Magby sighed.

"And if he didn't have Prince Jake, he wasn't sure how he would live without his sons." I went on. "Prince Jake felt sorry for his father, and offered to find his brothers. But his father initially said no--who was he to think he would lose Prince Jake too?"

[Did Prince Jake get to go save his brothers?] a Smoochum worried.

"But Prince Jake would not take no for an answer; and he begged and pleaded for so long that the king was forced to let him go." I continued. "The only Ponyta left in the royal stables was a very old mare--his six brothers and their retinue had taken all the other Ponytas. But Prince Jake didn't care, and set out on his sorry old steed."

"This is getting good...and then?" Callum asked.

"After he had ridden a while, Prince Jake met a Murkrow lying in the road half starved." I continued. "Not being one to see a Pokemon suffer, he gave the Murkrow some of the food he had brought with him, and the Murkrow left an emerald behind as thanks. When he had gone a bit further, he came to a sream, and he found a Seaking flopping about on the shore, trying to get back in the water again."

[So he put it back in the water?] a Pichu guessed.

I nodded. "Yes, Prince Jake put it back in the water, and a sapphire washed up on the shore, which Prince Jake figured was the Seaking thanking him, and put it with the emerald."

Shauna grinned at Callum--once I mentioned jewels in a tale, magic powers were not far behind. "After that he went a long, long way, and he found a Lucario, which was so famished that it lay and crawled along the road on its belly. Prince Jake saw his old Ponyta had died of exhaustion, and gave the meat to the Lucario. The Lucario was very thankful, and offered to let Prince Jake ride on his back. Prince Jake agreed, and the Lucario carried him to the giant's house--way faster than a Ponyta. When they got there, Prince Jake saw his six brothers and their brides turned into stone. He was afraid to go in the house at first--he knew well that giants killed humans. But the Lucario told him..."

Callum jumped in the role of the Lucario. "When you get inside, you'll find a princess named Tara, and she'll tell you what to do to kill the giant. Be sure and do everything she tells you."

I interjected with a tense riff. "Prince Jake went in, but, he was still very afraid. The giant was away at the time, but in one of the rooms sat Princess Tara, just as the Lucario had said, and she was the prettiest princess Prince Jake had ever seen."

"Why have you come here?" Shauna gasped as Princess Tara, "You'll die if the giant finds you! No one can kill him, for his heart isn't in his body."

"Prince Jake explained that he was there to save her, and save his brothers too." I narrated over a quiet Zelda-like riff. "He would save them, or die trying. Princess Tara was really happy someone had come to rescue her, and told Prince Jake..."

"Climb under the bed over there, and listen closely to what he and I talk about. But, be quiet as a Pichu." Shauna instructed as Princess Tara, to giggles from the Pichus.

"So Prince Jake climbed under the bed, and he had hardly gotten under there before the giant came." I intoned.

The babies screamed in fear and delight at this. "Ha!" Callum announced in a deeper version of himself for the giant, "what a smell of human blood there is in the house!"

"Yes, I know there is," Shauna explained as Princess Tara. "A Murkrow passed here carrying a human bone, and it fell down the chimney. I tried to get it out as best as I could, but the smell still lingers despite my efforts to get it out."

"So the giant said no more about it, and when night came, they went to bed." I went on as Callum and Shauna sprawled on the rug. "After they had laid there a while, Princess Tara said...."

"There is one thing I'd like to ask you about, if I can." Shauna whispered to Callum as Princess Tara.

"What is that?" Callum asked in character as the giant.

"Where do you keep your heart, since you don't carry it inside you," Shauna replied.

"If you must know, it lies under the doorframe." Callum mused as the giant.

"The next morning, the giant got up very early, and went off to the forest; but he was hardly out of the house before Prince Jake and Princess Tara set to work looking under the doorframe for his heart; but the more they dug, and the more they hunted, the more they couldn't find it." I continued.

"He has tricked us this time," Shauna grumbled as Princess Tara, "but we'll try again."

"So she picked all the prettiest flowers she could find, and strew them over the doorframe, which they had put back; and when the time came for the giant to come home, Prince Jake crept under the bed." I went on. "Just as he got under there, the giant arrived. He asked who it was that had strewn flowers on the doorframe."

"I did, of course," Shauna grinned as Princess Tara.

"And what's the meaning of all this?" Callum demanded as the giant.

"I'm so fond of you that I couldn't help strewing them, when I knew that your heart lay under there." Shauna explained.

"You don't say," Callum mused as the giant; "but it doesn't lie there at all."

"So when they went to bed that night, Princess Tara asked the giant again where his heart was." I narrated.

"Well," Callum mused as the giant, "if you must know, it lies in the cupboard against the wall."

"The next morning the giant was up early again, and strode off to the forest, and no sooner was he gone Prince Jake and Princess Tara were in the cupboard hunting for his heart, but the more they sought for it, the less they found it."

"Well," Shauna sighed as Princess Tara, "we'll just try again."

"So she decked out the cupboard with flowers and garlands, and when the time came for the giant to come home, Jake crept under the bed again." I went on. "The giant saw how the cupboard was all decked out with flowers and garlands; so he asked who it was that had done that. Princess Tara said she did it."

"And what's the meaning of all this tomfoolery?" Callum asked the giant, to some giggles.

"Oh, I'm so fond of you, I couldn't help doing it when I knew that your heart lay there," Shauna explained as Princess Tara.

"How can you be so silly as to believe such a thing?" Callum asked as the giant.

"How can I help believing it, when you say it?" Shauna smiled Princess Tara.

"Where my heart is, you will never know." Callum sneered as the giant over a tense riff from me.

"Well," Shauna mused as Princess Tara; "but for all that, it would be a pleasure to know where it really lies."

"The giant figured Princess Tara was up to something, but told her anyway..." I narrated.

"Far, far away in a lake lies an island; on that island stands a shrine; in that shrine is a well; in that well swims a Ducklett; in that Ducklett there is an egg, and in that egg there lies my heart." Callum smugly replied as the giant.

"In the morning, while it was still dark, the giant left for the forest again." I went on. "Prince Jake told Princess Tara goodbye, and when he got out of the giant's house, there stood the Lucario waiting for him. Prince Jake told him all that had happened , and told him to go to the well in the shrine, if he knew the way. So the Lucario started down the road, over hedge and field, over hill and dale."

After playing a rhythmic song to mimic the passage of time,I went on "After they had traveled many, many days, they came at last to the lake. Prince did not know how to cross it, but the Lucario assured him to hang on. He jumped into the lake with Prince Jake on his back, and swam over to the island. So they came to the shrine; but the keys hung way up on the top of the tower, and at first Prince Jake did not know how to get them down. Then Prince Jake remembered his emerald, held it in the air, and sang..."

Callum grinned when I sang Karuto, iichiida shou...--spellsongs were some of his favorite parts when I told stories.

[What did the spell do?] a Riolu asked.

"The Murkrow from before came, and flew up and got the keys, allowing Prince Jake inside the shrine." I explained. "But when he came to the well, there was the Ducklett, just as the giant had said. Prince Jake stood and coaxed it and coaxed it, till it came to him, and he carefully picked it up, but just as he lifted it out of the water, the Ducklett dropped the egg into the well."

Gasps went up at this, but I quickly assured them "then Prince Jake remembered the sapphire, held it in the air, and sang..." I paused to sing Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... before continuing "...and the Seaking came and got the egg from the bottom of the well. Then the Lucario told him to smash the egg on the ground, and as soon as Prince Jake did that, the giant was dead as a doornail!"

Cheers went up at the giant's demise. "With the giant gone, the six brothers and their brides were restored to their true forms." I went on over a victorious song. "Prince Jake took Princess Tara as his bride, and they all set off for home."

I grinned. "You can only imagine how glad the old king was when he saw all his seven sons come back, each with his bride. But the loveliest bride of all was Prince Jake's bride, so he got to sit at the most prominent place at the dinner table, with Prince Tara at his side."

I concluded "It wasn't long before Prince Jake and Princess Tara were married, and for all I know, they may still be celebrating today!"

The babies applauded as Shauna and Callum took a bow. We would've stayed there all day entertaining the babies, but we still had an epic journey of our own to continue!

Senior Moderator

Episode 18: Dance Your Cares Away

After telling the babies goodbye, we started down the road to Connecting Cave. But it wasn't too long before Shauna spotted what looked like a castle tower looming over the road."Ooh! A castle!"

"Actually, that's the Battle Chateau--but only the best of the best trainers are allowed in there." Callum explained.

"One more reason we should all try our very best, right?" Trevor smiled.

"That's right." Callum replied.

For the most part, the walk was uneventful, until we came to a small town not far from the road leading into Connecting Cave. Everything was decorated by silver and black Cyllage Rhydons banners and pennants, from the houses, to shops, and even the Pokemon Center. "Boy, everyone must be Cyllage superfans here..." Shauna noted as we passed lamppost after lamppost with a Rhydons banner on it.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we found Grant here..." I grinned. Grant was renowned all across Kalos for his love of sports--especially rock climbing, biking, basketball, and swimming.

Callum was about to answer when the familiar saxophone riff of "Careless Whisper" filled the air. "Sweet! They're having an epic dance party in there!" Tierno smiled, nearly dragging us into a large building apparently used for special events, where throngs of people were dancing on a light filled floor. More lights and a disco ball played across the walls, illuminating those that were not dancing in a rainbow of colors.

"Wonder why they're having this party?" Shauna asked, a little overwhelmed by all the lights and color in the room."

"The Rhydons just won their first championship for the first time in ten years." a voice replied. "Isn't that a good reason for a party?"

Shauna whirled around just in time to see Grant headed our direction with a tray of punch glasses He didn't look too much different from all the pictures I'd seen of him--black shirt, silver pants, and pieces of either rocks or gems in his hair. "Yeah, it's a great reason for a party." she smiled as she took one of the punch glasses.

"Sitrus Paradise--mm!" Trevor grinned as he eagerly gulped the mixture of Sitrus, Meli, Nomel, and Oran Berry juice down.

"You like that, huh?" Grant grinned.

"Yeah--I didn't get to have it very much because I would have to go to bed whenever my mom threw parties at home." Trevor explained.

"And what few opportunities he had to go to parties, he would have to leave because he got sick a lot." Callum added.

"I see..." Grant grinned. "You guys look like a pretty tight group of friends."

"Yeah! We're traveling around Kalos together." I replied.

Tierno, meanwhile, had wasted no time in going out on the dance floor as "Careless Whisper" gave way to the pounding beat of "This Time I Know It's For Real". Not surprisingly, he had the whole floor to himself as he spun, jumped, and whirled to the beat, much to the awe of the crowds.

"Nice moves!" Grant smiled, impressed by Tierno dancing.

"Go, Tierno, go!" Trevor called as he clapped to the beat.

When the song ended, Tierno came jogging back to us. "Sorry for ditchin' you guys, but I had to dance to one of my favorite songs." he explained as he found his punch glass and sipped from it. "When I was a little guy, that song was huge on the radio, and so every time it came on, my dad would crank it up really loud and we would dance together."

"How sweet..." Shauna smiled as another song began.

"So even when you were very little, you loved to dance." I smiled.

"I loved my dad's smooth moves." Tierno sighed nostalgically. "He's trained for a long time, but he especially likes tap dancing and its related styles."

"I bet he's toured all around the world!" I gasped.

Tierno paused to dig out a photo album from his bag, oblivious to "Night Fever" beginning. "I have pictures from the few times I got to come with him on his travels."

"Did he teach or perform?" Grant was interested as he noticed the picture of young Tierno in a black haired man's arms.

"Both." Tierno replied. "Still does both." He then thumbed to a picture of the man tap dancing as young Tierno looked on in awe. "Here we are in Nimbasa, in Unova."

"That explains the glittering lights on the stage." Callum mused as "That's the Way (I Like It)" started playing.

"Believe it or not, he danced to that song when Mom took this picture." Tierno grinned before turning the page to show his young self and his parents before Worlds of Adventures' famous Ferris wheel. "Here we are the day after in Worlds of Adventure. I got royally sick after braving Reshiram's Fury, though."

"They don't call it Unova's longest and fastest roller coaster for nothing." I grinned.

Tierno's next picture depicted the man comforting young Tierno. "He always believed that when things didn't go right, you had to get up and try again--a lesson I have never forgotten. This is from the time I first tried to ride my bike without the training wheels."

"Wasn't easy, was it?" Grant asked as he admired the slightly battered bike in the background.

"Nope--fell more times than I can count." Tierno blushed. "But Dad urged me to get up and keep trying."

"A wise lesson--one I hope you all have learned." Grant smiled before he started swaying to "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough".

"We have--whether it's riding a bike or training Pokemon, you're going to fall." I smiled.

"So when you do lose or make mistakes, you just get up and try again." Shauna smiled. "Cause you can even learn something when you lose."

"It just makes victory that much sweeter." Trevor agreed.

Grant smiled. "I see you all have learned that lesson well--with confidence like that, it makes me all the more excited to battle you back in the Gym."

"We can't wait to battle you, either." I replied.

"For now, let's dance!" With that, Shauna led the way to the floor as we all danced to "Sussudio"

We had the time of our lives dancing, but Tierno loved it more than anyone--if his parents had been there watching him dance out there on the floor, they'd be proud.

Senior Moderator

Episode 19: Diamonds in the Rough

After telling Grant goodbye, we departed the party and continued on to Connecting Cave. The one most glad to leave was Rouge. [I am so glad to be out of there and away from that noise! What are ya trying to do? Deafen us?]

[What's te matter with Rouge?] Erin wondered as Rouge continued to rant.

"Maybe when she evolved, she developed a noise sensitivity?" Trevor suggested as we walked into the lower entrance.

"Possibly..." Callum mused as he looked around at the dripping stalactites, the Zubats hanging overhead, and the jewels embedded in the cave walls.

Shauna, on the other hand, was excited about the jewels. "Wow! I didn't know all of these were here!"

Just then, a brown haired breeder saw us approaching in what little light there was from the cave entrance. "Oh, hi! On your way to Ambrette Town?"

"Yes...we hope to find out if the researchers there will help us solve a mystery for the professor." Callum replied, stifling a giggle at the Litleo batting at an Oddish's leaves. The Oddish, meanwhile, did not like the idea of the tiny cub Pokemon using its leaves as a toy, and darted away. This in turn spurred the Litleo to chase the Oddish even more and crash into a Pikachu, making her Berries scatter everywhere. [Hodan...now look what you've done!] she sighed as she darted about the floor picking up Berries.

The Oddish, meanwhile, ran into the breeder's arms. [Mercy, make them stop!] he pleaded.

"Hodan, come here." the girl replied. The Litleo trudged over to where his master, the Oddish, and a Ducklett were waiting--he clearly knew he was in trouble. "You know better than to treat Briar like a toy."

[But the way his leaves dance in the wind--it makes for a good chase!] the Litleo protested.

"I know you instinctively want to hunt things, but Briar doesn't find being prey fun." Mercy explained, gesturing to the sniffling Oddish in her arms. "He scares very easily, and when he finds he's prey, it only scares him even more."

She noticed the Pikachu sparking in annoyance. "I think you owe Nuala an apology too."

The Litleo decided to apologize to the Oddish first. [I'm sorry, Briar...I only wanted to play.]

[Well, next time, pick a game that doesn't involve chasing me.] Briar replied.

[And if you do play chase, please watch where you're going.] Nuala agreed.

[Don't worry, Hodan! You can chase me any time you want!] the Ducklett grinned as she flexed her wings.

"You can run and chase Teal all you want when we get back to the Daycare, okay?" Mercy replied before addressing us. "We spent the day mining gems in Glittering Cave today, and now my charges are all wound up..."

"I'm Callum..." Callum shook hands with Mercy. "and these are my friends Serena..." I waved hello. "Shauna..." Shauna waved before observing a sapphire in one of the cave walls. "Trevor..." Trevor shyly waved before observing Nuala hurrying back to Mercy's side. "and Tierno." Tierno grinned and waved hello."

"Nice to meet you all." Mercy smiled. "You're welcome to come to the Daycare any time you or your Pokemon need to rest, okay?"

"We'll keep that in mind." I replied before Mercy and her Pokemon started back on the main path."

"They're so sweet..." Shauna smiled as we emerged into the late afternoon sun.

Callum was about to reply when he heard the whistle of an arrow fly over his head. "Arrows..."

"Someone's practicing archery out here!" Trevor led the way around a corner of the cliffs, where a brown haired girl in the familiar navy blue shirt, red cloak and cape, and wide brimmed hat of a ranger readied another shot to go flying into the lower part of a target's bullseye, which would make a Leaf Stone pop free.

[Wow...] Kaitou gasped as the girl readied another arrow. [I've always wondered how a bow works...]

The bow itself is essentially a flexible arc. Zelda telepathically explained. A string joins the two ends of the bow, and when the string is drawn back, the ends of the bow are flexed. When the string is released, the potential energy of the flexed stick is transformed into the velocity of the arrow.

[Tank ye, Professor Zelda--tat was fascineting!] Erin smiled.

About then, the ranger noticed us. "Hello there! Are you all headed to Ambrette?"

"We are." I replied, all the while admiring the girl's bow. It looked like a recurve bow made from a high quality wood, painted silver. "Is this painted wood or something else?"

"It's actually painted fiberglass, made to look like wood." the ranger replied before it occurred to her she had not introduced herself. "My name's Amber...you guys look like the five trainers Sina told me to be watching for."

"Wait...you know Sina and Dexio?" Callum gasped.

"Yeah--we've been friends a long time." Amber replied as she set her bow aside and showed us some Pokedex data chips. "She told me to give you all these upgrade chips--since you're nearing the coast, this small upgrade will allow you to document Pokemon seen on the coast."

"Thanks!" Tierno wasted no time in putting in the upgrade chip.

"Yes, thank you!" Shauna smiled as she put in the upgrade chip.

"Will you take us down to Ambrette after you finish your target training?" Trevor asked as Callum helped him install his upgrade chip. "I-I don't feel comfortable walking down those steep cliffs."

"Sure...I'll even take you into Glittering Cave if you want to go gem mining." Amber smiled before taking one of the two Poke Balls clipped at her side. "I'll let Stormy, my Emolga, scout ahead for us so no one slips or gets separated."

With that, she heaved the Poke Ball skyward. "Let's hit the trail, Stormy!"

The Poke Ball opened with a pop, revealing a small white flying squirrel creature with a glowing yellow cape-like membrane and black fur on its head and tail. Emolga, the sky squirrel Pokemon. my Pokedex explained. They live on treetops and glide using the inside of a cape-like membrane while discharging electricity.

"Cool!" Tierno was impressed.

"Thankfully, Stormy will only discharge while gliding in battle, or lightly in caves to light the way." Amber assured us. "A skill you must teach an Emolga early if they want to be a scout Pokemon."

"Point noted if I get an Emolga." Callum smiled as he watched Stormy circle down the cliffs.

Amber led the way down the rocky path, I was next, then Callum. Tierno walked by Trevor's side, and Shauna brought up the rear, all making sure to stay were we could see the tiny Emolga as it glided down towards the rooftops of Ambrette Town in the distance...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

Episode 20: Test Subjects (part 1)

[Wow...] Lita gasped as we finished climbing down the cliffs and into Ambrette Town. She had probably noticed that we had gone down some cliffs, onto, well, another cliff.

"Amazing view!" Trevor agreed.

"As you may have noticed, we're standing on a huge cliff, out of which the first settlers built this town." Amber explained. "So watch your step as you explore--it's a long way down into the water."

Tierno looked down at the waves lapping at the cliff we stood on. "P-point duly taken." he stammered, terrified at the thought of falling hundreds of feet into the water below.

[Have ye ever had te rescue someone tat fell in te water?] Erin asked.

Amber gave Erin a pat on the head. "As a matter of fact, yes--all rangers have scuba certification." She pointed out a large dome-like structure in the distance. "The aquarium allows would be divers to go into the reef tanks for their first real dives--although holding signs is not allowed.

"Cool!" Shauna gasped, impressed.

Callum then spotted a wedge-shaped complex by the Pokemon Center. "Does the lab study more than just fossils?"

"Yes--although fossils are their chief research." Amber replied before starting off towards the Pokemon Center. "When you're ready to go into Glittering Cave, come find me in the Pokemon Center and I'll secure some Rhyhorns for you."

"Okay!" Shauna replied. "Thank you!" she called as she waved goodbye.

The idea of riding Rhyhorns intrigued me. "We have to ride Rhyhorns to GET to Glittering Cave?" the only tamed Rhyhorns I knew about where the kind usually bred for racing--and these "moon Rhyhorns" (so named because they were traditionally bred on Kanto's Mt.Moon and then shipped to Kalos before some breeding farms popped up in Kalos) had been clocked at almost 120 miles an hour.

Callum showed me a page of a pack Rhyhorn in his guidebook. "Oh no, the Rhyhorns here are specifically bred for traveling in places where a human can't go--such as the rocky trail leading to Glittering Cave."

"That makes sense--have you seen how fast racing Rhyhorns go?" Trevor asked me.

"Mom used to race before I came along, actually--remember the time she showed us all her medals and trophies?" I smiled.

"I'm amazed she actually won the Kalos Cup." Tierno mused. "That's one of the hardest challenges for a Rhyhorn rider to win."

Callum changed the subject when he spotted a large wedge-like complex nearby the Pokemon Center. "That must be the lab--let's go see if any of the researchers know anything about the Mega Rings and their songs."

---------

"...so our question is, can you tell us anything about the Mega Rings and the songs they hold?" Shauna asked a researcher.

The researcher hung her head. "Sadly, we know no more than you guys do...but we have found remains of Mega Rings inside Glittering Cave."

"REALLY???" Tierno was so excited at this, that he almost knocked over an array of beakers and test tubes on a table.

"However, we can't seem to go too far into the cave to retrieve any of these--the last researcher that went into the cave hasn't come back yet." another researcher replied as he set a sapphire with a Greek letter inside on a shelf filled with all manner of crystals and gems. "The last dispatch we got from him said that he was holed up in an alcove watching these odd people in bright red suits run roughshod over the cave."

I swallowed hard. "Did they belong to some sort of organization?"

"I think they called themselves 'Team Flare' or something like that." a third researcher replied. "They arrived in town two weeks ago and nearly tore the lab apart searching for anything they could use for whatever nefarious plot they may be planning. When they didn't find anything here, they gave up and went on to the cave."

I noticed Erin's fear aura form. [Ye tink these Team Flare guys are connected te tat Lysandre fellow?]

I'm not sure, but we can't rule anything out just yet. Zelda cautioned. That said, be mindful about jumping to conclusions.

"We'll have to see these Team Flare goons for ourselves." Callum assured Erin. "Rest assured that whatever they are plotting, we'll stop them!"

"Just like the superheroes on TV!" Shauna smiled, giddy at the prospect of having to save the world.

I can see the TV show now... Zelda grinned. [i]Miracle Pokeranger V!</i>

We balked when she broadcast her idea of her imagined TV show's opening into the room--Tierno was an earth based disco dancer-type hero, Trevor was a wind based nature lover, Shauna was the token cute chick with some power like heart or something like that, Callum was the technogeek water user, and I was the fire based leader.

Shauna took one look at Zelda's dream of us in ranger suits with capes and laughed. "You really think I'd be the pink ranger?" she giggled.

"I wanted to be the blue ranger..." Trevor sighed.

Even the researchers were laughing at Zelda's daydream. "You have quite the imaginative Ralts, miss." one chuckled as Zelda's daydream disappeared.

I just patted Zelda on the head. "I don't know if we could be rangers like the ones on TV, but you don't need superpowers to be a hero..."

[Yeah! Think about Officer Jenny and the fire department!] Rouge suggested. [They do heroic things every day, and you don't see them in ranger suits and capes...]

Zelda smiled. You're right, Rouge...sometimes the greatest heroes are right under our noses

"What else do you guys study besides fossils and rocks?" Trevor asked.

"Well, we study human endurance, for one thing." a researcher replied. "In fact, we have a series of experiments called the Human Endurance Assessment Trial--or the HEAT, for short, that measures how the human body measures up to and performs in different conditions."

She then noticed me and Callum. "Would you two like to take the HEAT?"

"Yeah!" I replied.

"Yes!" Callum replied.

After reading over and signing the informed consent form (we would both receive a 10,000 credit Pokemart gift card as thanks for completing the battery of tests), we were led into the debriefing room before the first test. "Okay...this first test measures how the human body reacts to high speed. You will each be enclosed inside a motion simulator, which you will navigate through as many obstacles as possible, with the simulation going faster the longer it moves. When you 'crash', we'll get data on how fast you were going when you crashed, and biometric information about how your body handled that speed.

I was then dressed in a red safety suit (Callum got a blue one), then led into a room with two red simulators that resembled stealth planes. "The respirator inside the helmets also serves as panic shutdown, so if the system detects signs of nausea or hyperventilation, the simulation will stop, okay?"

"Got it!" Callum replied as he ran to the left simulator.

I climbed in the simulator on the right, where an assistant strapped me in. "Good luck." he smiled as he pressed the button to close the simulator, making a matching red helmet drop over my head and a simulation of a hyperspace tunnel blip on the simulation screens.

Begin Test...100 miles per hour. a robotic voice announced as the simulator started to move. Granted, we weren't really going 100 miles an hour, so the rotating rings and squares were easy to go through. 200 and 300 weren't too hard either, but not long after I passed 400, I tripped the panic shutdown.

Callum had stopped before me for roughly the same reason--nausea. While I managed to calm my queasy stomach with a ginger ale, Callum had to throw up. He told the researchers he was okay, and wanted to continue, so on our way we went to the next debriefing room...

To Be Continued...

Experienced Trainer Zenith Avalon's Avatar
    Hey, Sky! This story is coming along great! I know it's been FOREVER since I've been on, but life really had me by the horns. College has been hectic, and I'm trying to find an externship site, and it's not going so well.... I'm going to a place tomorrow and see if it might be feasible.

I can't wait for their encounter with Team Flare! I bet it's going to be interesting!
    ~ Zenith's GCEA Stats ~ | ~ Zenith's URPG Stats ~
    *Sig and avi art made by Sou Cleife!*

Senior Moderator

I'm sorry for the lack of updates--life's been busy for me too