garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Cards Awaken: A Pokemon TCG RPG

I have spent the past few weeks getting together a comprehensive document with the details of a new RPG I am developing called "Cards Awaken" (working title). The best way I can describe it is half Pokemon TCG battling, and half RPG.

Here's the current comprehensive document for it:
    Over here!

Here's the cards:
    Over here!

The "Old Ideas" section can be mostly ignored; it carries scrapped ideas (such as a battle system that was way too complex).

Please give me opinions and suggestions!

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Senior Moderator

This sounds really fun!

I do have a few questions:

--How do we denote the Pokemon cards--are they named like they are in the real TCG, in the Game Boy TCG (Pokemon name lv. ##), or will they have flowery names like Yu-Gi-Oh! cards (eg. Flame Herald Charizard)
    --How familiar do potential players need to be with the TCG? Will there be a tutorial area for beginners?
    --How are new cards acquired? Do you buy them, find them in the wild, drops from battles, trade them, or some combination of those?
    --Do cards have rarity levels? If so, what are they? Can a lower rarity card be evolved into a high rarity?
    --Will this include every last TCG set ever, just the SM sets, or a few specific sets? Which sets will be included?
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    --How do we denote the Pokemon cards--are they named like they are in the real TCG, in the Game Boy TCG (Pokemon name lv. ##), or will they have flowery names like Yu-Gi-Oh! cards (eg. Flame Herald Charizard)
    --Will this include every last TCG set ever, just the SM sets, or a few specific sets? Which sets will be included?
    It will likely be one set that I make. I'm thinking about having some standard cards (Oddish, Geodude, Taillow, etc.), and then throwing in some cards with a PXR-spin (for example, have them named after staff members like Neo the Emolga or something).
    --How familiar do potential players need to be with the TCG? Will there be a tutorial area for beginners?
    --How are new cards acquired? Do you buy them, find them in the wild, drops from battles, trade them, or some combination of those?
    These questions are touched upon in the doc. It's a simplified version of the real TCG, and I was planning to have new cards be acquired at shops, but it might be cool to allow players to trade...
    --Do cards have rarity levels? If so, what are they? Can a lower rarity card be evolved into a high rarity?
    I guess I kind of assumed this was implied in the document, but I wasn't planning on having evolution be a thing.

If you're curious about how battling will work in this, there's a section in the doc called "Battle System". I'll make and add an example card to the document shortly, if you're still confused. :]

EDIT: Here's a doc with all the cards: Here!

My Links

Senior Moderator

@Bulbasaur

Thanks for answering my questions--this looks fun, and I'd love to take part.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I think this is a cool idea! My suggestion would be to keep it as small and simple as possible to start and build up from there. :)
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I think this is a cool idea! My suggestion would be to keep it as small and simple as possible to start and build up from there. :)
    Oops sorry, forgot to respond!

Yeah, definitely. Don't want to put too much in here, but at the same time I want a bit of complexity to make it fun. :]

My Links