Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Performers of Harmony

A little something I threw together to celebrate the release of the MD Red and Blue remake--what if the MD world had theater troupes to inspire and entertain the rescue teams and the explorer teams?

(rated E10+ for fantasy stage violence)

Act 1: The Curtain Rises

For the most part, Harmony Town didn't look too much different from any other little town in the Pokemon world.

It had a town square where its residents could gather. There was a school for the young Pokemon, where the wise Professor Noctowl taught them the ways of the world. There were a wide array of shops selling daily sundries and supplies for rescue and exploration teams. There was the local branch of the Explorer's Guild, where explorer teams rested in between missions. There was the notice board for rescue teams near the post office.

But one Pikachu sighed as she looked out on the bare patch of ground near the north end of the town square. That space needed something, she thought...something like a theater!

Her bored look turned to a smile as she remembered past trips to the various theaters across the Pokemon world. Everyone in town knew that Mayor Erin, the Lucario that looked after the town, had once been an actress before entering public service. If the town had a theater, the Pikachu surmised, Pokemon would come from all around to visit. That, and the town would have something to be proud of, like many other towns in the region.

The thuds of approaching Scorbunny feet snapped the Pikachu from her thoughts. "Oi! Lita!" a female voice called in the distance.

"Hi, Ruby!" the Pikachu smiled, waving as her Scorbunny friend settled in the grass next to her.

"What were you thinkin' bout so hard?" Ruby asked as she unfurled a picnic blanket on the grass. "Remembering our trip to see the Theatre Royal in Amber Town?"

"Not quite..." Lita admitted as Ruby set out an array of sandwiches and other treats for the two of them. "I was thinking about possibly building our own theater and giving our town something to be proud of..."

"It's not as easy as asking the mayor for funding." Ruby cautioned. "Once you've built the theater, who's gonna perform in it?"

"Anyone that wanted to." Lita replied as she bit into a roast beef sandwich. "It could also be used for concerts, dance performances, and lectures..."

"They say that every theater troupe's dream is the Beacon Theatre in Luminous City." Ruby smiled. "The Gardevoir that runs the place is very particular about which acts perform there, so if you make it there, you've made it big."

"Who's to say we can't be one of those famous troupes?" Lita mused. "But first, we need our own theater to perform in."

"It's decided! We ask Mayor Erin to build a theater here!" Ruby declared as she held a sparkling juice can high.

"I can drink to that." Lita smiled as two sparkling juice cans clanked together as a sign of their promise.

---------

Later that afternoon, Ruby and Lita arrived in the town's administration building. "How may I help you?" the Taillow at the front desk asked.

"Is the mayor in right now?" Lita asked. "We have a proposal we want to talk with her about."

"You are in luck--Mayor Erin is receiving visitors now." the Taillow smiled. "What's the nature of your proposal?"

"We want to build a theater on that bare spot of land at the north end of the square." Lita explained. "It would give the town something to be proud of, boost tourism revenue, and lower crime."

"Okay...I'll inform the mayor you wish to see her." With that, the Taillow fluttered off down a hall.

Ruby sighed as she trudged to one of the comfy chairs in the foyer. "And now we wait..."

"Well, we can look at what the good troupes have done, and get ideas for our first scripts." Lita suggested as she located a theater magazine in the pile of magazines on a table. "We could do an adaptation of 'The Golden Dragon', like the Rainbow Company did." She showed Ruby a picture of a Riolu and a Fennekin in beautiful costumes battling a shiny gold serpent-like dragon puppet on a stage.

"Brush up on your singin' and dancin' then--'The Golden Dragon' is an ancient adventure tale that Professor Noctowl says is one of the earliest musicals." Ruby smiled.

"Maybe once we get some practice and enough actors, we could do a musical." Lita grinned. "Or maybe we could do a Robin Hood tale?" She gestured to a Treecko in the traditional Robin Hood costume shooting a bow on another page.

"That would be fun!" Ruby smiled. "If you don't mind writing Robin Hood as a britches role, I'd be honored to play him!"

Lita giggled at the thought of Ruby in the iconic green outfit and feather hat. "I'll keep it in mind, then."

Ruby gasped in awe at a Combusken portraying Moltres on another page. "Oh, 'The Tale of Moltres!' I used to always ask Mum to tell me that story at bedtime when I was a lass. Only, in our version, Moltres and Princess Valencia have a little more to do!"

"Let's get the theater built, then write that script." Lita gently reminded Ruby before thumbing through a few more pages. "Ooh, 'The Knights of the Round and the Jewels of Excalibur'!" she smiled, showing Ruby a picture of a majestic Zacian puppet giving a Dewott in the role of King Arthur a prop sword.

"Another great choice!" Ruby smiled. "Perhaps we can ask Mayor Erin to borrow some of her back issues of 'Theater Today' for script ideas?"

"That one's the current issue, so it has to stay here for now." the Taillow replied as he returned. "But Mayor Erin would be more than happy to give you some back issues for script ideas after your meeting."

"So Mayor Erin can see us?" Lita asked.

The Taillow nodded. "Come with me, and you can tell her all about your theater proposal."

---------

"Wow..." Ruby gasped as she and Lita arrived in Mayor Erin's office. "Never knew our mayor liked to read this much..."

"Most of tose are city building codes and law books, in case someone needs help with an ethical dilemma." Mayor Erin replied in her gentle North Galarian accent. "But back to te matter at hand...Cyan tells me you two wish to build a teater by te north end of the square."

"Yes...were you planning on using that land for something else?" Lita asked.

"Tankfully, no." Mayor Erin replied. "Te only reason we haven't built anyting on tat land yet was because no one's approached with any decent proposal te build someting on it. I believe a teater would brighten the area, and bring te arts te all!"

She reached for a piece of paper. "But before we kin start buildin' a teater, we first need te give it a name and tink of what it will look like."

Lita thought for a moment for a good theater name. "How about...the Moonlight Theater?"

"That's a good idea--make it look like you're watching a play under the stars!" Ruby suggested.

"What kind of scripts were ye wanting to perform in tis teater?" Mayor Erin asked as one of her Riolu assistants started sketching construction plans for the theater.

"High adventures!" Ruby smiled, brandishing one of the unsharpened pencils on Mayor Erin's desk like a sword.

"Joyful comedies..." Lita went on. "...and heartwarming romantic stories. The only tears here are tears of happiness and laughter!"

Mayor Erin smiled. "I'll present these initial plans for a teater to te city council in a few days. In te meantime, go brainstorm some scripts, and start recruiting some actors and a crew."

"We will!" Ruby smiled.

"We'll do everything we can to give a great show to the townsfolk!" Lita agreed as she and Ruby turned to leave.

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

Act 2: Choosing the First Play

"Extra, extra, read all about it! Theater coming soon to Harmony Town!" a news Meowth proclaimed as he held a newspaper depicting some concept art of the theater for the crowd in the square to see.

Ruby smiled as some of the townsfolk hurried to buy a paper, oohing and ahhing over the pictures of what the theater would look like when complete. "The word is out about our theater! The next question is what our grand opening show should be..."

"Well, we won't get very far with just the two of us." Lita mused. "So I asked around for anyone else willing to join us, and Brenna volunteered..."

"If you want, I can get our troupe registered with the Performance Guild." Ruby offered. "While you don't HAVE to do this, it's easy publicity if you are registered."

"Brenna and I will help brainstorm play ideas while you're away at the post office." Lita smiled. "We'll meet at my house, okay?"

"All right, I'll come join you after I get the Performance Guild paperwork sorted." Ruby smiled before dashing off towards the post office.

---------

Ruby balked when she discovered a Squirtle, a Gossifleur, and a Braxien at the dining room table with Lita. "Oh! More guests?" she asked.

"Shimmer saw the pictures of what the theater will look like when it's done, and wanted to pitch in as an actress and playwright." the Squirtle explained.

She smiled at the Braxien. "Then Charlotte overheard us talking, and offered to pitch in with mentor and trickster roles."

"But what kind of roles would you want to play, Brenna?" Ruby asked the Squirtle as she settled at the table.

Brenna thought for a moment. "I wouldn't mind being the hero's sidekick, but I'd actually prefer to narrate the story, whichever play we do."

Charlotte, meanwhile, set some back issues of "Theater Today" on the table. "I brought over some old 'Theater Today' issues for ideas..."

"...and I can go to the library and get some books of folk and fairy tales for ideas, if we need to." Shimmer volunteered.

"The 'Theater Today' issues should be more than enough for now." Lita assured Shimmer as she found a piece of paper. "Let's go through these and write down the names of plays we like first, then go from there."

"Remember, no sad endings if we can." Brenna cautioned. "We want everyone to enjoy our plays, so if any tears must fall, they should be tears of laughter, or tears of joy."

"Should we do a Robin Hood story or 'The Knights of the Round'?" Lita asked.

"We'd need a lot of actors for 'Knights of the Round', but keep that in mind for when we get a little more practice under our belts." Shimmer replied.

"We definitely need to do a Moltres tale--any version will do." Ruby agreed as she wrote "The Tale of Moltres" on the play list.

"Let's keep it somewhat simple for now." Lita assured the excited Scorbunny as she turned the page of the magazine she was looking through...

---------

After a while, Lita showed the group the final list of stories. "Okay...which one of all these should be our choice for our first play?"

"Think outside the 'Cinderella' or 'Snow White' box, if possible." Charlotte suggested.

"The Invulnerable Giant?" Brenna suggested.

"How would a giant work?" Lita wondered. "Pokemon on top of each other would look silly..."

"None of us has the experience to do animatronics..." Charlotte sighed as Lita crossed the story off the list.

"The Mage's Instruments?" Shimmer suggested. "Just change the boy to a girl and Aria could play the lead; since she can already play guitar, fiddle, and flute."

"We'll keep that one in mind..." Lita replied before reading the next play on the list. "How Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi Were Saved?"

"That sounds fun!" Ruby smiled before reading another play name. "'The Queen of the Lonely Island'?"

"Nah..." the group chorused.

"Too depressing..." Shimmer agreed.

Lita crossed off the name, then addressed the others. "Are we agreed on 'How Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi Were Saved?'"

Cheers went up at this. "Okay...next is going through the original story and deciding what we want to keep, change or leave out in the script." Lita explained.

"The original story involved a wood boy and his three friends saving Solgaleo, Lunala and Jirachi." Shimmer remembered. "But we can start at the point where Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi disappear."

"Instead of playing out the same adventure scene three times, we can have three unique challenges to save the princesses and the Legendaries." Charlotte suggested. "This way, it's more interesting to the audience to see six unique challenges instead of the same thing three times."

"We can keep three heroes, but give them each two challenges." Brenna agreed.

"Next question--where would we get Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi puppets?" Lita mused. "Most troupes, even the big ones, depict the Legendaries and larger Pokemon as puppets for practicality reasons."

"That being said, there are some plays where the writer explicitly wanted the Legendaries and big Pokemon as live actors." Ruby mused. "But our humble little troupe will cross into that region when we get there."

She turned business like again. "As for where we can get Legendary puppets, crew, and more cast members, we can start advertising the troupe even while the theater's still being built. Then once our theater is ready, we can hold auditions for the parts."

"I can write the script." Shimmer volunteered.

"I'll procure us some puppets and performers." Charlotte grinned, pleased at her poetic license.

"I'll make and hang the posters..." Lita smiled as she grabbed another piece of paper and started sketching out an idea for a poster. "Does Ruby want a role, or should she direct this play?"

"I'll be equally at home on the stage or in the director's chair." Ruby smiled at her companion. "I'll still do my best for a good show, wherever you want me."

Lita nodded. "What do you want to do, Brenna?"

"I'll be glad to narrate the story, and find us more actors, musicians, dancers, and other crew." Brenna replied.

Shimmer wrote "The Storyteller" on her cast list. "Well, that's one role decided..."

"We'll decide the others once the theater is ready." Lita assured Shimmer.

She looked outside to see the sun setting. "Wow...we spent all afternoon planning?"

She smiled at the group. "Thank you, all of you, for helping us get the troupe off the ground."

"Anytime!" Charlotte smiled.

"It is my pleasure." Shimmer agreed.

"I believe we can reach the Diamond rank, and perform in Luminous City's famous Beacon Theater." Brenna smiled. "Both you and Ruby have the heart and desire to see this to the end, and I intend to be there every step of the way, no matter how bumpy the way to stardom is."

With that, she, Ruby, Lita, Shimmer, and Charlotte put their hands and paws together. "Let's reach Luminous City together!"

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

3. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

Act 3: Making Preparations

Ruby and Lita approached the north end of the square a few days later, where a majestic theater now overlooked the town. "Was it worth all the trouble to get this place built?" Ruby smiled as she admired the glittering marquee proclaiming "COMING SOON: HOW SOLGALEO, LUNALA, AND JIRACHI WERE SAVED" and the glowing silver letters that spelled the theater's name above the marquee: The Moonlight.

Lita nodded, admiring the patterned mosaics embedded in the brick that also glowed in neon light. "It was worth every Poke we spent, all those planning meetings, construction time, the auditions, and the rehearsals we've had so far."

"Buzz is already building for our first play..." Ruby went on. "Nervous for your role?"

"Nah--I've been practicing my introduction." Lita assured her companion. "Being a director isn't so bad with the right group."

"Remember what Mayor Erin said during the opening ceremony--the theater is our space to bring the arts and culture to our town." Ruby reminded Lita. "So while Luminous City and the Beacon is a worthy goal to have, every theater troupe had to start somewhere."

Lita nodded. "The best stories are about a hero who rises to greatness from humble beginnings. I believe we can do that too."

She yawned as she looked at the moon shining down on the pavement. "Let's go home...we have a few more regular rehearsals, a couple dress rehearsals, and then opening night."

"I can't wait to show the town our play." Ruby was equally excited.

---------

The new theater's majestic stage hummed with activity the next morning as Ruby, Lita, the others, and hundreds of other actors, musicians, and crew convened for rehearsal. "Okay!" Lita called over the chatter. "Even though we're not technically doing a dress rehearsal today, I still want to get through as much of the play as possible."

Cheers went up as the actors hurried into their positions for the first scene. "Ready when you are." Brenna smiled as she emerged onstage in a deep blue outfit.

"Not bad for a narrator's costume." Ruby grinned before stepping behind a screen to change into her costume.

"Orchestra ready?" Lita asked, looking over to the orchestra pit.

"All ready!" the Meloetta conductor smiled.

Lita nodded, then told Brenna. "Okay, let's start from where the overture ends."

"Once upon a time, there was a beautiful kingdom, ruled by a kind and just king and queen." Brenna began. "But one day, terror struck the land. The shining lion Solgaleo, the great moon-bat Lunala, and the wish-maker Jirachi disappeared from the sky at roughly the same time. leaving the world in darkness."

The lights blinked off over a stinger from the orchestra. "Who has taken Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi from us?" a Piplup pleaded from a spotlight.

"What have we done to offend them?" a Sylveon agreed.

"What grave crime have we committed to have them turn their light away from us?" a Chikorita asked.

The lights came up on a fantasy throne room, revealing an Alolan Ninetales in the role of the queen. "Whoever they are, they will have to bring them back!" she vowed. "Is there a hero among us that will go forth to find Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi and return them to their rightful places in the sky?"

The various Pokemon playing townsfolk crowded around the throne as Brenna narrated from her nook at stage right. "There were many people willing to offer themselves for the great adventure, but the king and the queen both realized that something more was needed than willingness. So the queen sent out a call for heroes of great strength and endurance who could risk the dangers of so perilous a journey."

The lights revealed Ruby, another Piplup, and a Snivy bowing before the Alolan Ninetales in the throne room. "Finally, the three heroes were found." Brenna narrated. "Gaia, a mystic of the earth..." The Snivy looked up at the Alolan Ninetales. "Irvine, a brave Piplup skilled with the blade..." The Piplup rendered a salute with a prop sword before he bowed before the Alolan Ninetales. "...and Eliana, who was known as 'the phoenix arrow' for her archery skill."

Ruby, now in an elegant red tunic with gold trim and a cape to match, also bowed before the Alolan Ninetales. "Here now, are the three heroes who are to release Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi from whoever are holding them in captivity and restore them to their places in the sky!" the Alolan Ninetales announced.

"Say the word, Your Highness--I will travel to the ends of the world to find Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi." the Snivy quietly vowed.

"I will not rest until the three guardians are back in the sky!" the Piplup vowed.

"Whoever dared to take Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi away from us will meet my holy arrow in battle!" Ruby proclaimed.

Lita just smiled as the scene continued. "Then go forth, heroes! We await the day the three guardians shine down on us once more!" the Alolan Ninetales replied, to a triumphant interlude as the lights went down.

Once the interlude had ended, Lita signaled the Luxray in charge of the lighting crew to wait. "First of all, great job on the scene, everyone!" she began as she joined the actors onstage.

"I wasn't too over the top with my intro, was I?" Ruby asked.

"Oh no, it fit your character." Lita assured Ruby. "According to the script, Eliana is supposed to be very confident, but not braggy. So be careful not to make her come across as braggy."

"Okay, so I can probably cut the holy arrow bit..." Ruby mused.

"How'd I do?" the Piplup playing the warrior asked as Lita approached him.

"You did great, Rio." Lita replied. "Remember--your character is brave and yet kind, so keep channeling that."

She next addressed the Snivy. "It's okay to show some more enthusiasm, Sakura. Gaia is supposed to display a quiet strength, even if she is a softspoken character. You are the yin to Irvine's and Eliana's yang, but you're not afraid to show your power if you must."

"I'll try to put a bit more power in my lines." the Snivy replied. "I just remembered you saying in the readthrough that Gaia is a lower key character, but now I see she's not supposed to be shy."

"Am I coming across as queenly enough?" the Alolan Ninetales asked.

"You make a great queen, Yuki!" one of the extras smiled.

"Work on maintaining a balance between authority and gentleness." Lita suggested. "Of course you want to show the audience you are the queen, but you are a kind and gentle ruler, so soften your voice just a little."

"Right." the Alolan Ninetales replied.

Lita retreated to her seat in the audience. "Okay...let's keep going!"

With that, the Luxray cued the lights, save for a spotlight on Brenna as the orchestra started playing again. "And so, the three heroes rode off in the dark." she began. While some were sad to see them go, many of them cheered and wished that they, too, were going."

The orchestra segued into a quieter theme. "They rode on and on for many days that seemed like nights, until they had crossed the borders of their own land and entered the boundaries of an unknown kingdom. Here the darkness was less dense. There was no actual daylight, but a faint greyness, as if dawn was approaching. They rode on until they saw looming up before them the spires of a ruined temple. Before going to the temple, they ventured deep into a nearby forest, where they found the cave of the holy Delphox, Kitsune."

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... Ruby sang from the dark stage, cuing a sound effect of a cave opening.

Even Lita couldn't help but be awed as the lights came up on a set of a glittering cave. Wow...the set crew went all out!

On the stage, Charlotte--now wearing prop Delphox ears and a long maroon robe--met Sakura, Rio, and Ruby. "Good day to you, good lady!" Rio smiled.

"We are adventurers seeking to rescue Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi." Sakura explained. "Do you know anything that could help us on our quest?"

Charlotte nodded. "It is the evil primal dragon Eternatus that took Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi from you."

"Eternatus!" Rio gasped.

"Why did Eternatus capture Solgaleo?" Ruby asked.

"Because he's evil, that's why!" Charlotte replied with a giggle. "He said Solgaleo's rays blistered him, so he caught Solgaleo and gave him to a nine-headed Hydreigon. He caught Lunala, too, because at night, when Lunala shone, he could not perform his evil misdeeds. When he caught Lunala, he handed her over to another lackey, a six-headed Hydreigon. Then he caught Jirachi because he said he couldn't sleep at night because of her. So he caught Jirachi, and gave her to a third lackey, a normal Hydreigon with three heads."

"Where do the Hydreigons keep Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi?" Rio asked.

"Listen closely--when they go far out in the sea they carry with them Solgaleo, Lunala and Jirachi." Charlotte explained as the orchestra played Kitsune's mystical leitmotif. "The normal Hydreigon stays there one day and then returns at night. The six-headed Hydreigon stays two days and then returns, and the mighty nine-headed monster does not return until the third night. As each returns a faint glow spreads over the land. That is why we are not in utter darkness..."

Lita smiled as she watched the tense scene unfold from the audience. Everyone's putting their hearts into this play! The show's going to be a hit!

To Be Continued...

5. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

Act 4: The First Show (part 1)

The entire town arrived to watch the very first play in the Moonlight Theater a few weeks later. But backstage, there was even more excitement. Actors and performers hurried to get into their costumes, those in the orchestra made their way to the pit and started tuning their instruments, and those on the crew made sure the lights, the sound, and the effects were working.

In the wings, Lita gawked in awe as the audience members took their seats. Wow...we sold out the theater! she thought as she looked out on row after row of Pokemon, all of them excited to see the play.

"Well, this is it..." Ruby smiled as she joined Lita in the wings. "All our hard work to build this place and put on plays comes to a head here."

She pointed out a Kadabra in the audience. "That right there is Trista, a pro theater critic. If we can impress her, that's one step closer to Luminous City. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves, here."

"We have to do well before our home crowd first." Lita agreed. "Break both legs, okay?"

"You got it!" Ruby hugged Lita, then hurried off to change into her costume.

The lights flashed a five minute warning, snapping Lita to attention. Here we go...our very first play begins now!

Applause filled the air as she walked out before the elegant red and gold curtain. "Good evening, everyone, and welcome to the Moonlight Theater." she began. "Out of respect for our actors, performers and crew, please refrain from talking during the show. If you need to leave the theater for any reason, inform an usher and they will direct you to the closest EXIT sign. In the event of an emergency, exits are at the sides and back of the theater. There will be a brief intermission between Act 1 and Act 2."

She looked out at the excited audience. "So, without any further ado, please enjoy 'How Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi Were Saved.'"

With that, she departed the stage to some applause. After a few tense seconds, the orchestra started a majestic overture, evoking a time of magic and adventure.

---------

"Once upon a time, there was a beautiful kingdom, ruled by a kind and just king and queen." Brenna began as the overture ended. "But one day, terror struck the land. The shining lion Solgaleo, the great moon-bat Lunala, and the wish-maker Jirachi disappeared from the sky at roughly the same time. leaving the world in darkness."

The lights blinked off over a stinger from the orchestra. "Who has taken Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi from us?" a Piplup pleaded from a spotlight.

"What have we done to offend them?" a Sylveon agreed.

"What grave crime have we committed to have them turn their light away from us?" a Chikorita asked.

The lights came up on a fantasy throne room, revealing Yuki in a beautiful blue and silver robe, with a prop crystal crown on her head to match. "Whoever they are, they will have to bring them back!" she vowed. "Is there a hero among us that will go forth to find Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi and return them to their rightful places in the sky?"

The various Pokemon playing townsfolk crowded around the throne as Brenna narrated from her nook at stage right. "There were many people willing to offer themselves for the great adventure, but the king and the queen both realized that something more was needed than willingness. So the queen sent out a call for heroes of great strength and endurance who could risk the dangers of so perilous a journey."

The lights revealed Ruby, Rio, and Sakura bowing before Yuki in the throne room. "Finally, the three heroes were found." Brenna narrated. "Gaia, a mystic of the earth..." Sakura looked up at Yuki with a reverent look. "Irvine, a brave Piplup skilled with the blade..." Rio rendered a salute with a prop sword before he bowed before Yuki. "...and Eliana, who was known as 'the phoenix arrow' for her archery skill."

Ruby, now in an elegant red tunic with gold trim and a cape to match, also bowed before Yuki. "Here now, are the three heroes who are to release Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi from whoever are holding them in captivity and restore them to their places in the sky!" Yuki announced.

"Say the word, Your Highness--I will travel to the ends of the world to find Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi." Sakura vowed, a quiet strength informing her line.

"I will not rest until the three guardians are back in the sky!" Rio vowed.

"Whoever dared to take Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi away from us will meet my fury in battle!" Ruby proclaimed.

Lita just smiled from backstage as the scene continued. "Then go forth, heroes! We await the day the three guardians shine down on us once more!" Yuki replied, to a triumphant interlude as the lights went down.

After a few moments, a spotlight appeared on Brenna as the orchestra started playing again. "And so, the three heroes rode off in the dark." she began. "While some were sad to see them go, many of them cheered and wished that they, too, were going."

The orchestra segued into a quieter theme. "They rode on and on for many days that seemed like nights, until they had crossed the borders of their own land and entered the boundaries of an unknown kingdom." Brenna went on. "Here the darkness was less dense. There was no actual daylight, but a faint greyness, as if dawn was approaching. They rode on until they saw looming up before them the spires of a ruined temple. Before going to the temple, they ventured deep into a nearby forest, where they found the cave of the holy Delphox, Kitsune."

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... Ruby sang from the dark stage, cuing a sound effect of a cave opening.

Amazed chatter raced through the theater as the lights came up on a set of a glittering cave. But the chatter quieted as Charlotte--now wearing prop Delphox ears and a long maroon robe--met Sakura, Rio, and Ruby. "Good day to you, good lady!" Rio smiled.

"We are adventurers seeking to rescue Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi." Sakura explained. "Do you know anything that could help us on our quest?"

Charlotte nodded. "It is the evil primal dragon Eternatus that took Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi from you."

"Eternatus!" Rio gasped.

"Why did Eternatus capture Solgaleo?" Ruby asked.

"Because he's evil, that's why!" Charlotte replied with a giggle. "He said Solgaleo's rays blistered him, so he caught Solgaleo and gave him to a nine-headed Hydreigon. He caught Lunala, too, because at night, when Lunala shone, he could not perform his evil misdeeds. When he caught Lunala, he handed her over to another lackey, a six-headed Hydreigon. Then he caught Jirachi because he said he couldn't sleep at night because of her. So he caught Jirachi, and gave her to a third lackey, a normal Hydreigon with three heads."

"Where do the Hydreigons keep Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi?" Rio asked.

"Listen closely--when they go far out in the sea they carry with them Solgaleo, Lunala and Jirachi." Charlotte explained as the orchestra played Kitsune's mystical leitmotif. "The normal Hydreigon stays there one day and then returns at night. The six-headed Hydreigon stays two days and then returns, and the mighty nine-headed monster does not return until the third night. As each returns a faint glow spreads over the land. That is why we are not in utter darkness."

"As we journeyed here, we noticed many had one eye laughing and one eye crying. How could this be?" Sakura asked.

"It is because of the fate that is hanging over the king's three daughters." Charlotte sighed as the orchestra played a somber theme. "Those three evil monsters are demanding them one by one. Tonight, when the normal Hydreigon comes back from the sea he expects to devour the eldest, Princess Orla. If the king refuses to give her up, then Eternatus' henchman will destroy half the kingdom, half of the castle itself, and half the shining stones. I wish that some hero would kill the monster, save Princess Orla, and at the same time release Jirachi, so our wishes could be granted again!"

"If it pleases you, let me be the one to save Princess Orla and release Jirachi." Sakura volunteered.

"All right--she has even now been brought to the ruined temple where the normal Hydreigon makes his lair." Charlotte replied. "If you hurry, you may have time to rescue her!"

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 03-07-2020 at 03:01 AM.

7. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

Act 5: The First Show (part 2)

"That night, Gaia watched the king's party disappear, and then made her way to the temple." Brenna narrated from her nook.

Backstage, Lita watched as Sakura carefully but quickly climbed to the top of an ornate temple set. I worked so hard planning out that set...the real challenge was deciding whether or not to stick to the real story, or expand on how the heroes got to the three Hydreigons.

As Sakura carefully rolled away a foam rock to reach the temple set's next level, she thought back to when the group was first brainstorming the script...

"How can we make the battles interesting?" Lita asked as she settled before the table. "We know we want three unique challenges for each hero..."

"I know we said we were going to have a unique challenge for the Legendary and the princesses..." Shimmer explained. "But the more I think about it, that may make the play run too long."

Murmurs filled the kitchen as the group thought of another solution to their dilemma. "We know we don't want to play out the exact same scenario three times..." Brenna explained. "But we also don't want to add in too many challenges..."

"Either way, we risk boring the audience..." Lita sighed.

"Maybe we can add subtle variations to three different temple sets?" Charlotte suggested. "While the three actors go through the same basic scenario, the sets have slightly different challenges that play to the actors' strengths and their character's abilities."

"Great idea!" Ruby smiled. "That should solve our major problem!"

"In our version, let's have each hero slay the Hydreigon on their own... Brenna suggested as the group huddled to discuss the finer points of their script...

The rip of a prop bag snapped Lita back to reality--the first Hydreigon battle was coming up! "Peace--I've come to rescue you." Sakura assured the shiny Vulpix in the role of Princess Orla. "My name is Gaia."

"Thank you for releasing me, lady of magic." the shiny Vulpix smiled before hurrying to the nook she was supposed to hide in for the fight.

The orchestra played some ominous music. "Quickly! Get down behind the rock and hide there while I meet the creature and cut off his ugly heads!" Sakura called.

The audience gasped in both awe and fear as a majestic Hydreigon puppet emerged from the "water" on the set a few moments later. Boladh mé rud éigin go maith!
    Beidh mé ag titim air agus a dhéanamh cothrom air!
    Feicfidh mé pioc a chnámha agus deoch a chuid fola!
    it chanted, its deep and ominous voice rumbling through the theater.

"Stop boasting, underling of Eternatus!" Sakura shot back in character. "You'll have time enough to boast after you fight."

"Fight? You want to fight, then, do you?" the puppet challenged the Snivy at the top of the temple set. "Very well! Blow then with your sweet breath, blow out a long level platform of gold where we can meet and try our strength!"

"No, you blow, and instead of gold, we will have a platform of iron." Sakura smirked.

Excited murmurs filled the air as an iron platform seemed to appear from thin air. The orchestra struck up an exciting melody as Sakura ran to "battle" the puppet.

Lita watched from backstage as Sakura jumped, poked the various targets on the puppet with a prop rapier, and fired blasts of light standing in for spells. The crowd's really getting into it! she smiled as she watched the audience cheer for the Snivy battling the Hydreigon puppet. But I have to hand it to Ruby for planning the fight scenes!

In the theater, the audience roared as Sakura delivered the final blow to the Hydreigon puppet. But the cheers almost drowned out the orchestra's victorious song as a Jirachi puppet flew from the "dead" Hydreigon's body, creating stars in the night sky set. "Jirachi! Jirachi has returned!" a Fletchling playing a herald cried as the Jirachi puppet soared overhead. "Arceus bless the one who has released Jirachi!"

"While there was rejoicing for Jirachi's return, there was still great sorrow at the palace, and the king knew that two more of his daughters were still in danger." Brenna was quick to calm the audience down. "Our heroes returned to Kitsune's cave to learn what to do next."

The lights came back up on the crystal cave set from before. Ruby, Rio, and Sakura listened as Charlotte greeted them. "Milady, I have returned victorious!" Sakura smiled.

"That you have, for the stars above herald Jirachi's safe return." Charlotte smiles. "But Solgaleo, Lunala, and two more princesses remain."

Rio nodded. "I will save the silver one, milady. Tell me what to do."

"You are correct that Princess Ariana is in danger." Charlotte told Rio over some mystical music. "Unless her father, the king, gives her to the six-headed Hydreigon, the monster will come and eat half the kingdom, half the castle, and half the shining stones. He also holds Lunala captive, and the hero that slays him will release her."

"Here is work for me!" Rio smiled, holding his prop sword high to some giggles and "aw"s at his heroic pose before the lights went down for the intermission...

To Be Continued...

9. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

Act 6: The First Show (part 3)

As the lights came up in the theater for intermission, Sakura met Lita in the wings. "How did I do for my fight scene?"

"You did very well." Lita smiled. "I tried to come up with challenges that fit you and your character's abilities for your set--both Rio's and Ruby's sets have challenges to suit their abilities, too."

"I can't wait to see my set in a few minutes!" Rio smiled.

"How am I doing playing Kitsune?" Charlotte asked as she approached Lita, her costume Delphox ears in her paws.

"You're doing great." Lita replied. "Remember that while she is a divine Pokemon, she is also playful. Try to keep both sides of her personality in balance."

"Right." Charlotte nodded before putting her costume ears back on and hurrying into position for Act 2...

---------

As the orchestra finished the overture for Act 2, a spotlight appeared on Brenna's nook. "Irvine rode to the rock on the shore and released Princess Ariana. He told her who he was, and kept watch for the six-headed Hydreigon." she narrated.

The audience gasped in fear and awe as Rio stared down a six headed Hydreigon puppet while a normal Vulpix playing Princess Ariana shuddered in a hidden nook on the set.

After a few tense moments, the lead puppeteer repeated the same Low Galarian song.

Boladh mé rud éigin go maith!

Rio drew his prop sword in defiance. "Stop boasting! You will have time enough to boast after you fight!"

"Oh, you want to fight, do you?" the Hydreigon puppet's shot back. "Very well! Blow then with your sweet breath, blow out a long level platform of silver, where we can meet and battle."

"No--you blow instead, and let it be a platform of steel." Rio retorted.

As if in response to Rio's request, the Hydreigon puppet blew, revealing a steel platform at the top of another temple set filled with ropes and spring platforms.

Lita watched as Rio quickly swung and bounced his way to the top of the set, then engaged the Hydreigon puppet in a mock sword fight. Building Rio's set was the hardest one--but he's pretty agile, so I knew he could handle this challenge!

Cheers from the audience snapped her to attention as a beautiful Lunala puppet flew majestically across the top of the stage, signalling Rio's character's victory. Now only Ruby's scene is left... Lita thought with a smile.

---------

"The king was awakened by the sound and looked out the castle window." Brenna narrated over the orchestra's victory theme. "When he saw Lunala had returned to her place in the sky, his eyes overflowed with tears of both sadness and joy--happiness that Lunala had returned and Princess Ariana was safe, and tears that his youngest, Princess Christina, was still in danger."

She went on "When the heroes heard of the king's grief, Eliana stepped forward and said..."

"This last battle is for me!" Ruby proclaimed from a spotlight, striking a heroic pose all the while.

Even Lita couldn't help smiling at the dialogue playing out on stage. Oh Ruby...even when we were little, you were always wanting to play the hero. Now that we have started our own little troupe of actors, you can play all the heroes you want. Just remember to let everyone else shine, too...

"Let the night come! I am ready for the monster!" Ruby vowed, to some laughter from the audience at her heroic pose.

Lita watched as Ruby used her archery skill to create a stairwell up to where the Alolan Vulpix playing Princess Christina was hidden. Thank Arceus those drop platforms worked! We had so much trouble getting them to drop in rehearsal!

Onstage, Ruby called to the Alolan Vulpix "Wait for me behind the rock!"

"Be careful!" the Alolan Vulpix called as Ruby defiantly stared down a nine headed Hydreigon puppet.

After a few tense moments, the lead puppeteer repeated the same Low Galarian song.

Boladh mé rud éigin go maith!

"Stop boasting! You will have time enough to boast after you fight!" Ruby called.

"Oh, you want to fight, do you?" the Hydreigon puppet asked. "Very well! Then blow out a long level platform of sunshine gold. There we can meet in battle!"

"No! You blow." Ruby replied. "Instead of sunshine gold, we will have a platform of moonlight silver."

"So the monster blew, and on the silver platform Eliana met him in battle." Brenna narrated as Ruby nocked a prop arrow, training her eye on the first of the six prop targets she had to hit.

The crowd cheered as the "battle" raged onstage. Nice work! Lita smiled as Ruby easily hit the first target. Remember that you don't have to hit the targets in a specific order--just so long as you manage to hit the one on its chest last!

She held her breath as Ruby fired the shot intended for the chest target. I know you can do this--we did well in rehearsal!

A triumphant stinger and the stage brightening as a majestic Solgaleo puppet roared in triumph signaled that Ruby's character had won...

---------

"Okay, everyone--Trista's review of our play was printed!" Lita called a few days later, prompting the group, all the other actors, and the crew to crowd around the table in a conference room.

"What did she have to say?" Charlotte was intrigued.

"Fledgling troupe of actors show great promise in debut play." Lita read the headline.

Tears of happiness welled up in her eyes as she looked out on her friends and the many others that had brought the show to life. "Everyone...let me just say thank you for your hard work, and for making overnight a success. Can I trust all of you to continue giving your best for a good show...no matter what happens, and no matter where we may perform?"

"I'm here all the way!" Ruby smiled.

"Me too!" Charlotte agreed.

"I'll go with you all the way to Luminous City...and beyond!" Rio smiled.

"The more good shows we perform here, the more likely we will be invited to perform elsewhere." Lita reminded the excited Pokemon as she found a knife to cut the beautiful sparkling cake congratulating the group. "But for today, let's celebrate!"

To Be Continued...

11. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

Interlude: The Next Show

"Our official badge from the Performer's Guild is here!" Ruby smiled as she set the mail down on Lita's kitchen table a few weeks later. "Thanks to our successful performance of 'How Solgaleo, Lunala, and Jirachi Were Saved', we've already earned the Iron Rank." She showed Lita a dull gray star badge to prove her point.

"Nice..." Lita smiled. "So, what's next?"

"If we perform four more plays, we reach Bronze." Ruby replied, pleased with herself.

"No, no, no...I meant what's next in our journey as a troupe." Lita sighed.

"It would be best if we built up some fame in our hometown first..." Ruby went on. "But if and when we are invited elsewhere to perform, Amber Town is the closest place from here."

Lita unrolled a map of the region on the table. "We are right here..." she mused, putting in a tack at Harmony Town's location at the west end of the region. "Amber Town is just a few miles away, to the east..." She stuck another pin where Amber Town was on the map. "and Luminous City is all the way over here on the eastern coast." She stuck a sparkling gold pin where Luminous City was to designate the city as their goal.

Ruby noticed the long distance between the two pins. "We've got a long way to go if we want to reach Luminous City..."

"It's not as intimidating as it looks once you mark where the other cities and towns are on the map." Lita explained.

She began marking more cities, towns, and landmarks as she continued "From Amber Town, we continue eastward into Jade City, then through the Jade Forest to reach Silver Town. Then once we pass through Mt. Lune, we reach Sapphire Cove."

"They say Lugia sleeps on Mt. Lune..." Ruby remembered. "The Legendaries love a good play as much as normal Pokemon do."

"There's also Mt. Citron, Mt. Rubin, and Mt. Saphir, which surround Mt. Lune." Lita explained as she marked three more mountains. "If you take the Steel Pass in Silver Town instead of the Lunar Path to Sapphire Cove, you can hit all three of the Jeweled Mountains and Mt. Lune. Granted, it's a longer route, but if the Legendaries are big drama fans, it'll be worth the trip."

Ruby thought for a minute. "I wonder what kinds of plays the guardian birds and Lugia like, anyway?"

"No prizes what we perform for Moltres." Lita smiled. "I'm sure she enjoys hearing people tell of all the heroes she helped..."

"Lugia probably would want a play having to do with unity, or coming together to solve a problem." Ruby mused. "But what would Zapdos and Articuno like?"

"We can think about that when we do hit the road--or ask the others when we get together to discuss our next show." Lita assured her friend.

"Speaking of which...what sort of play do you think we should do next?" Ruby wondered. "We know we don't want to do tragedies. Like you said when we started this project, the only tears here are tears of laughter, and tears of joy."

"Mayor Erin always says to dream big..." Lita mused as she abandoned her map and started pacing the floor. "That said, we don't want to dream too big for what we are capable of doing..."

"Something with more speaking roles?" Ruby suggested. "Some members of our troupe suggested that."

"Let me go get my books of mythology and folktales..." With that, Lita hurried to her room...

---------

Lita returned with a variety of books some minutes later. "Now then...which of all these stories would make a good play, or already exist as a play?"

"Preferably something a small troupe can easily do." Ruby agreed as she found some paper to write down play ideas.

"Once we have enough ideas, we can present these to everyone tomorrow." Lita agreed as she opened up the first book to the table of contents. "Nothing overly preachy, either."

"It's important to explore a theme or a lesson in the play, but audiences don't like being lectured." Ruby agreed.

Lita studied the table of contents. 'The Tower of Doom'?

"Too cliche..." Ruby sighed.

"Actually, this version is a variant on the 'magical relatives' tale type." Lita explained before looking at the table of contents again. "We probably want to avoid stories everybody knows..."

"If we HAVE to perform 'Cinderella', 'Snow White' and the like, pick a lesser known version." Ruby agreed.

"We can still do 'The Queen of the Lonely Island'..." Lita suggested.

"There's not too many roles in that tale...and since our troupe has grown a bit, let's try and give them all a chance to shine." Ruby smiled.

"'Brian of the Leppas?'" Lita suggested more story ideas. "'The Guardian Arcanine?'"

"We could more than do that one!" Ruby smiled. "But let's keep it in mind--someone else may have a better suggestion tomorrow!" She let that hang as she wrote the story title down...

To Be Continued...

13. This post has been liked by:

Senior Moderator

Act 7: The Amber Spotlight

A few weeks later, Lita smiled as she looked over the review for their latest successful play. We've amassed a lot of enthusiastic actors and crew, even if not all the plays were successful...

She looked over at the group's performer badge, which had now turned a bronze color. I hope we can venture out beyond Harmony Town soon...and show the world that we can make it all the way to Luminous City!

Some excited footsteps and a knock startled her from her thoughts. "Who is it?" she asked as she got up to see who was at the door.

"It's me, Ruby!" came a familiar voice from outside. "I've got some big news!"

Lita opened the door to find Ruby beaming as she clutched an envelope in her paws. "Hi, Ruby...what's the big news?" she asked as she gently escorted the excited Scorbunny inside.

"We got an invite from the Grandview Theater--Amber Town's theater." Ruby explained as she showed Lita the envelope with a slightly orange tinge.

After carefully opening the envelope, Ruby read the letter inside. "Dear Ruby, we've heard a lot of exciting things about your newfound troupe. We wish to personally invite you to this year's Rising Star Festival. The Rising Star Festival is a week long showcase of up and coming troupes, as well as new material from established troupes. Each up and coming troupe is paired with an established troupe as a mentor, who will help you make your next productions stand out, and make your existing productions even better..."

"Is there a schedule of events, or who our mentor troupe will be?" Lita wondered.

Ruby read further down the page. "It says that we will be paired with the Aurora Players of the Apollo Theater of Port Sunset. It also says that we need to have a week's worth of plays prepared for the festival--six to be revised, reworked, and performed; and our best one to perform on the final day of the festival. We'll also get to see the Aurora Players perform a few times."

"I don't think I've seen the Aurora Players perform before...what are they like?" Lita asked.

"They mainly specialize in musicals, but they do straight plays too." Ruby replied as she folded up the letter and put it back in the envelope. "Their recent work includes 'The Rescue of Miranda', 'The Demon Head', and 'The Adventures of Daniel the Daring."

"Those sound exciting!" Lita smiled. "But which one of our plays are we going to do? Out of our successful ones, anyway."

"We've done sixteen plays so far, and of those, ten were successful--hence the Bronze ranking of our badge." Ruby explained. "We can leave the bad and the okay plays at home--we want to put forth our best work to the Aurora Players."

Lita thought for a moment. "We could do 'The Weaver's Son', 'The Legend of Destrian'..."

"'The Tale of Moltres..." Ruby suggested. 'Robin Hood and the Golden Arrow' should make them laugh."

"'Fire, Ice, and Lightning' for sure..." Lita suggested. "'The Hero's Sword'...and 'The Faithful Fair One'. That should be a week's worth of shows."

"Perfect--I'll go send a letter back informing the festival committee we'll be there." Ruby smiled. "Then, we'll tell everyone else what to expect."

---------

The way to Amber Town from Harmony Town was not far. For the most part, it didn't look any different from Harmony Town, save for the orange roofs on the houses. However, theatrical troupes from all across the Jeweled Continent had converged on this unassuming orange-tinged town for the Rising Star Festival. "Wow..." Brenna gasped as she saw hundreds of Pokemon lining up at the local theater at the east side of town. "I've been to Amber Town's theater many times, but I've never seen the Grandview like this before..."

"A lot of really good and up and coming troupes are here." Lita reminded Brenna. "So let's try to make a good first impression."

"Yeah--you never know who you might be asked to work with on your way to the top." Ruby agreed as the group got in line. "So it's a good idea to be kind."

"What's the schedule like for today?" Lita asked, changing the subject.

"After we check in, we'll watch the Aurora Players perform 'The Rescue of Miranda'." Ruby explained. "Then after the show, we'll get to meet them, and talk about what we saw--what worked, what didn't, and how we can use what they did to improve ourselves."

"How exciting!" Charlotte smiled. "They say that any performance by the Aurora Players is not to be missed!"

"The line's moving at a good clip, so we should get some decent seats for the show." Shimmer reported.

"I've always wondered why this place is called the Grandview...." Rio mused as the line inched closer and closer to the ticket booth.

"The place has a great view of Mt. Citron, Mt. Rubin, Mt. Saphir, and Mt. Lune from the main lobby. "So if you get here early in the morning, you get a grand view of the four mountains at sunrise." Ruby smiled. "Hence the name Grandview."

"I see." Rio smiled as the group approached the ticket booth.

---------

The Grandview's elegant main lobby bustled with activity as both visiting troupes and spectators arrived to watch the Aurora Players perform. Lita was off by the east lounge, admiring the view of the forests and mountains in the distance from a window. The one with a gold glow must be Mt. Citron... she thought as she spotted one peak that appeared to glow a soft gold in the fading sun. The one that looks bright red must be Mt. Rubin...and the one capped with snow is probably Mt. Saphir. The sparkling silvery one in the center of it all has to be Mt. Lune.

"Lita! Come on!" she heard Ruby call over the excited chaos. "The show's gonna start soon!"

"Coming!" Lita called as she darted through the crowds to find her troupe mates. Soon...we're gonna climb those mountains, and show Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Lugia our skills!

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

Act 8: Learning From a Mentor's Show (part 1)

The lights flashed a five minute warning before a Servine wearing an elegant green scarf arrived on the stage to some applause. "Good evening, all, and welcome to this year's Rising Star Festival. In addition to the best in up and coming talent, we also have exciting new material from established troupes to showcase this week."

She went on "As a courtesy to the actors, please refrain from talking during the performance, and hold your applause until musical numbers are complete. If you need to leave the theater for any reason, inform an usher and they will direct you to the closest exit."

In the audience, Ruby smiled as the Servine introduced the play the group was about to see. "This is so exciting!" she whispered. "I wonder what we can learn from the Aurora Players?"

"For one thing, they've done this for a while--particularly musicals." Shimmer whispered. "So if we want to do a musical down the road, it would be wise to watch them, and see what works and what does not." She let that hang as the Servine departed the stage to the audience's applause.

After a few tense moments, the orchestra started a majestic melody that evoked exotic lands, larger than life characters, and high adventure. But once the brass section's heroic motif gave way to the strings and the occasional flute, a Dewott in an elegant costume began narrating from a nook at stage right. "Once upon a time, there was once a beautiful island where there lived the most beautiful princess in the world, named Miranda. She had lived there ever since she was born, and ruled over the island with a wise and gentle hand. Nobody knew who her parents were, or how she had come to the island. But she was not alone; as she had twelve beautiful maidens who had grown up with her on the island that served as her ladies-in-waiting. But a few strangers had visited the island, and spoken of Princess Miranda's great beauty; and many more came after that, became her subjects, and built a magnificent city, in which she had a splendid palace of white marble to live in."

With that, the curtains opened to reveal a majestic bedroom set. "She was cared for by her twelve companions, who were almost as charming as their mistress, and fiercely loyal to her. Rumors of Princess Miranda's beauty and kindness spread far and wide. People came to see her from all over the world, so that it was soon no longer a desert island, but a magnificent kingdom." the Dewott went on.

The Dewott's spotlight blinked off as an entourage of Eeveelutions filed onto the stage, singing to a dozing Sylveon in a bed. Lady, by your kindly hand,
    Which ever waits on love's behest;
    they sang.

By your voice of sweet command,
    That bids us in your presence rest.
    You hold in fee your servants' love,
    And rank with spirits blest above.
    You quit the city's din and heat,
    And let us in your smile rejoice;
    You call us willing to your feet.
    To listen to our lady's voice;
    Then let us loudly celebrate
    Your dignity and queenly state.
    And though upon our charmed sight
    The fairest visions soft may fall;
    Your grace, your wit, your beauty bright.
    Will blur them and outshine them all.
    To laud another should we seek,
    Our tongues your praise alone would speak.

The Sylveon woke up from her feigned sleep to see the Vaporeons, Jolteons, Flareons, Espeons, Glaceons, and Leafeons, along with a few Eevees, bowing before her. "Rise, everyone--good morning." she smiled as an Espeon gently levitated her from the bed to the ground.

"The set must've taken forever to build..." Brenna gasped as the Eeveelutions went about their characters' daily routines on the stage, all expertly timed to the orchestra's relaxed melody.

"Maybe we could ask about it later?" Lita whispered back, aware of the orchestra's song turning foreboding.

"Now it happened that the Nightmare Pokemon, Darkrai, who lived far beneath the earth in the realm of darkness, was a great admirer of beauty." the Dewott intoned over the ominous music as the lights came up on a Darkrai puppet admiring something in a crystal ball. "One day, he decided to see what the beings on the surface were doing. By the help of his powerful eyes that saw everything, he was able to observe all the kings and queens, princes and princesses, gentlemen and ladies, all going about their daily routines. As he was looking his eye spotted a beautiful island, where, bright as many stars, stood twelve maidens; while in their midst, upon a couch of Swanna down, slept a young princess lovely as the dawn."

Unruly emotions become a maelstrom
    Sorrow thus becomes a monster...
    the puppet sang as it spied on the Sylveon and her Eeveelution entourage.

What lies in your heart, princess?
    What do your twinkling eyes seek?
    I see that you dream of a hero,
    Clad in glittering crystal...
    Riding the steed of legend
    As the gold phoenix goes on before!

But I will make sure he never arrives,
    His prism blade will be shattered!
    I will take you as my own, princess!
    Your hero's life never mattered!

"Boo"s and fearful murmurs filled the theater as the Darkrai puppet disappeared and the lights went down. Lita shuddered as utter chaos erupted on the palace set. As she watched the Darkrai puppet "defeat" a vast army of Eeveelutions, she couldn't help but be amazed at the sheer amount of practice the epic battle scene had to have taken. I hope we can become a troupe great enough to stage epic battles like that... she thought as the orchestra started a sad melody...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

Act 9: Learning From a Mentor's Show (part 2)

"Days grew into weeks, and weeks grew into months, and still Princess Miranda's kingdom looked like one large bedchamber." the Dewott explained over the orchestra. "The people snored in the streets, the brave army lying in the fields slept soundly, hidden in the long grass under the shadow of nettle, wormwood, and thistle, rust and dust marring the brightness of their armor."

The lights came back up on the set of the bedroom from before. The Eeveelutions were now sprawled in various places on the stage, "asleep". "Inside the palace everything was the same." the Dewott went on. "The twelve maids of honor lay motionless. Princess Miranda alone kept watch, silent amid this reign of sleep."

Just then, an Altaria puppet in one of the set's windows got the Sylveon's attention. Floating cloudlet soft and white,
    Pilgrim of the sky, I pray you for one moment, light,
    On me your pitying eye.
    she sang over a sad melody.

Where my love is, can you tell?
    Thinks he of me ill or well?

"I know not," the Altaria puppet replied. "Ask Suicune."

Then the Sylveon spotted a majestic Suicune puppet playing among the background of wildflowers, and sang again. Mighty warrior of wind and frozen rain,
    Look not lightly on my pain;
    Kindly lift me from despair,
    Help me freedom to regain.

"Ask Jirachi," the Suicune puppet replied. "He knows more than I".

As the scene in the window turned to night, the Sylveon spotted a Jirachi puppet dancing among the twinkling stars. She sang again, this time to a softer tune:

Little Wish-maker, Arceus' light on high,
    Look down and see;
    Behold me weep and hear me sigh,
    Then help and pity me.

"You will learn more from Lugia," the Jirachi puppet replied. "He lives nearer the earth than I, and sees everything that goes on there."

The Sylveon puppet nodded, then turned her attention to the window again.

Just when a majestic Lugia puppet passed by, the Sylveon sang again:

Silver Guardian, radiant Lugia,
    Your watch over Jirachi pray leave,
    Throw your soft glance o'er the earth ere I swoon,
    Overcome by my sorrows I weep and I grieve.
    I pine for my friend, oh ease my heart,
    And say, am I loved?
    In his thoughts have I a part?

"Princess," the Lugia puppet replied, "I know nothing of your friend. But wait a few hours, Ho'oh will have then begun her daily flight. She knows everything, and will surely be able to tell you."

The scene in the window started to brighten, as if evoking a sunrise. Awed gasps and applause filled the auditorium as a majestic Ho'oh puppet appeared in the window over a triumphant version of the Sylveon's song.

Soul of the World, deep fountain of life,
    Eye of all-powerful Arceus,
    Visit my prison, dark scene of sad strife,
    Raise up my soul from the sod,
    With hope that my friend whom I pine for and love
    May come to my rescue.
    Say, where does he rove?
    the Sylveon sang again. This time, her song had a note of hope that the beautiful golden phoenix puppet had an answer for her.

"Sweet Miranda, dry the tears that roll down your sad and lovely face." the Ho'oh puppet assured the teary eyed Sylveon. "Let your troubled heart be at peace, for your friend the prince is even now on his way to rescue you. He has recovered the magic ring from the world of darkness, and many armies have assembled to follow him. He is now moving towards Darkrai's palace, and intends to punish him. But all this will be of no avail, and Darkrai will gain the victory, if the prince does not make use of other means which I am now on my way to give. Farewell; be brave, he whom you love will come to your aid and save you from Darkrai and his magic; happiness is in store for you both."

The lights went down, save for the Dewott and the three puppeteers making the Ho'oh puppet "fly". "Ho'oh then flew over a distant land, where a prince named Leo, mounted on a beautiful Rapidash and clad in crystal armor, assembled his forces to fight against the Nightmare Pokemon." the Dewott explained. "Three times he had dreamed of the beautiful princess locked up in the Sleeping Palace, for the fame of her loveliness had reached him, and he loved without having seen."

Just then, the Ho'oh puppet landed on a tree before a crowd of hundred of Eeveelutions, led by a Flareon aboard a Rapidash puppet. "The Golden Phoenix!" the Flareon gasped. "What news do you have for me, milady?"

"Leave your army where it is," the Ho'oh puppet began. "It will not be of any use in fighting against Darkrai, he is immune against all weapons. The only way to rescue the princess is to kill him, and there is but one who can tell you how to do it, and that is the holy Delphox, wily Kitsune. I will show you how to find the Ponyta that will carry you to her. First take the road to the east, and walk on till you come to a wide plain: there, right in the middle of the plain, are three trees, and in the center of these, lying close to the ground, is an iron door with a silver handle. Behind the door is the shining Ponyta, also a sword that shines in all colors; both are necessary for the task you have to do. You will learn the rest afterwards. Farewell, and good luck."

The Flareon balked as the Ho'oh puppet "flew" offstage. Farewell, I am going on a journey
    And leaving you all behind...
    he sang to the gathered army.

But in order not to forget the memories we've made,
    I shall carry on with this courage in my heart!

With that he heaved a ruby ring offstage, making the army disappear in fog and light. "And so, Prince Leo took the road to the east. After walking for eight days he reached a large plain, and all happened as Ho'oh had foretold." the Dewott narrated.

Excited whispers filled the auditorium as the Flareon whistled a familiar six note melody offstage. The whispers became cheers as a shining Ponyta puppet "ran" onstage.

"Prince Leo, my name is Epona--I have waited centuries for such a hero as you." the Ponyta began. "I stand ready to carry you and serve you faithfully. Mount me, and take hold of the rainbow sword that hangs at the pommel of the saddle. You yourself will not need to use it; give it your orders, and it will do the fighting itself. Tell me where you wish to go, and you will be there momentarily."

Lita smiled as the Flareon talked with the Ponyta puppet for a moment. This is starting to get good! Wonder how they'll pull off the Kitsune scene and the final battle?

To Be Continued...

17. This post has been liked by: