Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AWA1997 View Post
    Oh no, I get that completely, and that’s not rude at all. Most people won’t be into family history stuff, that’s just a fact. I know that there will always be a chance that he will be lost to time. I’m not wanting a guarantee, but I want to up the chances for if/when someone down my line gets into it. And, if what my family looks like now is any indicator, there will be at least one in every generation.
    That's fair enough, of course. Hopefully you can preserve his memory! :3

I never met my mum's family (cause they disowned her and were meanies) so all I know is my dad's side.

My family history actually got fairly muddy when I tried to go up my grandpa’s family tree. See, his mom and all of her siblings disowned their father for reasons unknown. They told my mom that they were taking the secret to the grave, and that’s exactly what they all did. My mom tried breaking through that roadblock for over 20 years. We still don’t know what he did, but I was able to get past him and find the rest of the family because someone else, a distant cousin from another branch, put that family history online.

3. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Altaria View Post
    That's fair enough, of course. Hopefully you can preserve his memory! :3

I never met my mum's family (cause they disowned her and were meanies) so all I know is my dad's side.
    Yeah, I have a similar situation. My mom's grandmother was very nice to her, but her mother and father were just terrible. Her father was physically abusive and her mother was emotionally abusive. The stuff they did would have been heavily slammed with child abuse charges and would have landed the father in an orange jump suit if he did that in today's age.

I never met her father (my grandfather, and I'm glad for that), but man, her mother was really horrendous. We tried repeatedly to get on good terms with her and be open and friendly but no, no no, it was always a one-way "you're here to serve me and not the other way around" relationship and despite all our efforts, we pulled the plug. Even when she passed, she tried to divide us by only giving my mom, my sister, and myself only $1 while my brother got $5000. No explanation. He was awesome about it and used the money to pay for a vacation for all of us to France and Belgium.

We had cousins on that side of the family and they were bloody rotten, also (and they were given all the good stuff from the will). One was a liar and a snitch and the other liked to steal stuff and had sick perverted thoughts. Pulled the plug on all of them and we haven't talked to any of them for like 20 years by now. Sometimes you have to do these kinds of things if it seems like compromise is impossible. You may not get justice at the end, but you don't have to put up with the evil.

@Neo Emolga

Oof, that's harsh. At least with my mum's family the worst they did is disown her so she lost all contact. Physical and emotional abuse is much, much worse. :( It's a good thing that you don't have to put up with rotten people like that any more. And as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad I've never met my mum's family. I don't want to know (or have anything to do with) people like that, who would disown their own child just because they didn't approve of who they married. I mean it really isn't up to you who your child marries, though you do hope they make the right choices.

Geez, she sounds awful. A lot of people from older generations have not only the 'respect your elders' motto, but also the 'I gave birth to you so you have to do what I say' mentality - which is so wrong. That's really not how parenting works and someone with that attitude shouldn't have kids in the first place. They're not slaves. It's good that you tried to bridge the gap, but sometimes there isn't anything you can do. :(

And quite honestly, no one needs that kind of stress and negativity in their life. I've learned that sometimes it's better to let go so that you can live and be happy.

Administrator

So how's everyone so far leading up to the Holidays?

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Been okay. We've got plans for Thanksgiving for a small 6-7 person gathering, but Christmas is still an unknown.

Heck, the time off to just rest and have fun is a major gift on its own.

What holidays? xD I have no plans on my end. It's going to be a crappy Christmas this year anyway.

Senior Administrator

Eh, yeah, it kind of seems that way with 2020 still wanting to do its "spoil everything" campaign. Well, at the very least, give yourself some time to rest and treat yourself to something nice. No one ever said you can't gift something to yourself. :)

I kind of need to save money, or I would treat myself to something nice. xD I do need new clothes, though, so maybe that counts.

Senior Administrator

Clothes don't count, though, those are necessities!

Well, hopefully you can treat yourself to something, if not a physical object, at least a fun experience.