Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest Check: Community Nuzlocke Challenge

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Interest Check: Community Nuzlocke Challenge

So we haven't done a community nuzlocke run in a while and I was curious if anyone would be interested in doing like another one? I had a few potential ideas if anyone is interested.

Community Egglocke
    So the first is a community egglocke. For those that don't know what an egglocke is, it's essentially where people breed a bunch of eggs and send them to other people, so that way that original trainers have no idea what Pokémon they'll be getting. It also allows for the chance of egg moves, unique abilities, etc. I've always wanted to try this in the past but every time I've tried to participate in one in the past it's fallen through. This would have a couple requirements though:
    • All players would need to have Wi-Fi access
    • All players would need to be using games in the same generation (i.e. XY and ORAS or SuMo and USUM, etc.)
    • Players would need to breed 30 eggs to send to me that I could then redistribute to other people.
    • Players would need to unlock the ability to trade (PSS, Festival Plaza, etc.) and catch 30 Pokemon to be traded for the eggs

So it's a bit of work but it'd be a lot of fun I think.

Community Randomlocke
    Fairly simple premise. Everyone randomized a file of a Pokémon game and does a randomized run of it. This one is also fairly interesting because it can be as loose or strict as we'd want it to be depending on how many participants we have. So we could all do a run of say RBY, or we could have one person playing Ruby and another playing Black. People could also customize the randomization settings to their comfort level or we can have a set of required randomization rules, like you have to randomize abilities and evolutions, etc. So there's a lot of flexibility here. We could even have one person randomize their game and give everyone the same seed so we'd all be playing the same "game" so to speak. This means we'd have all the same starter choices, the NPCs and gym leaders would all have the same teams, same potential encounters for each area, etc. Hopefully that makes sense. So that could also be an interesting thing to do, but it'd require everyone play the exact same game. Not even the same generation but like if the game that was randomized was Pokemon Black, everyone has to play Pokemon Black. That said since this is a pretty flexible set of rules, the only real requirements are:
    • You have an Emulator to play the games on
    • You are able to download the corresponding ROMs
    • You have the Universal Pokemon Randomizer or some other variant of it

Community Crystal Clear Run
    This could be a really fun one because this ROM hack isn't super difficult to get and is compatible with most OS systems as far as I'm aware. Pokémon Crystal Clear is a ROM hack for Pokémon Crystal that essentially makes the game free roam. There's a wide variety of starter choices, gyms and trainers scale (though notable wild pokemon do not so Pokemon at Mt. Silver will still be crazy strong), and you can essentially challenge any of the gyms in whatever order you want so long as you can get to them. I'm actually doing a nuzlocke of this game right now and it's a lot of fun so I think it'd be really fun for people to play. It's got following, some trainer customization, and you can even recolor one of your own Pokemon (see: here). This could just be a vanilla nuzlocke but I think the free roam aspect of it would make it a lot of fun because more than likely everyone is going to go in a different gym order, especially as things go along. Again, not many requires for this:
    • You have an Emulator to play the game on
    • You are able to download the corresponding ROM (and I am willing to help with this since it's a tad tricky)

So what do you guys think? Would any of these be interesting to you? I'm also open to other suggestions, these were just the first ones that came to mind.
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Digital OR Unknown Shaymin
    Ehh, not interested in anything that'd need an emulator, but I've always wanted to do an Egglocke, so I'd be willing to join that one in a second.

@Noblejanobii Thank you for posting this interest check thread! :) I would like to add two suggestions :

1) Regarding the community egglocke : this could also be done in Pokemon games that don't have Wi-Fi access (or don't have it anymore) thanks to emulators or R4 cards. This would be great for people who don't want to cancel their save files in the 3DS games. Of course, we would need to keep in mind that egglockes are impossible in Fire Red and Leaf Green (eggs cannot be traded to these games before the Pokemon League is defeated), and that eggs that contain Pokemon that aren't in the Hoenn Pokedex cannot be traded to Pokemon Emerald before the Pokemon League is defeated.

2) We could do a COVID challenge. A famous French Pokemon Youtuber (Newtiteuf) is currently doing that in a randomized version of Pokemon Emerald. Here are the rules of the COVID challenge :
    -The COVID challenge isn't a Nuzlocke. Therefore, Pokemon don't die and catching more than one Pokemon per area is allowed.
    -Any Pokemon that gets poisoned (i.e. is infected with COVID) has to quarantine in a PC box until the player wins 14 battles (i.e. quarantine for 14 days). Defeating a wild Pokemon or defeating a trainer counts as winning a battle, but catching a wild Pokemon doesn't.
    -Using physical moves is forbidden (to promote physical distancing). If a Pokemon accidentally uses a physical move, it has to quarantine in a PC box until the player wins 14 battles (i.e. quarantine for 14 days). Defeating a wild Pokemon or defeating a trainer counts as winning a battle, but catching a wild Pokemon doesn't.
    -Poison-healing items are forbidden (there is no vaccination yet).
    -Pokemon cannot be used further than 3 areas away from the area in which they were obtained (restricted travel radius).
    -The player can only have 3 Pokemon in their party (to promote physical distancing). If the player obtains a 4th Pokemon, they have to go to the nearest PC and deposit a Pokemon immediately.
    -The player can only have 6 non-quarantining Pokemon in their PC (because of the restrictions on indoor gatherings). If the player has more than 6 non-quarantining Pokemon in their PC, they have to get rid of the extra Pokemon (either by releasing them, or by moving them to a designated PC box and never using them again in the COVID challenge).
    -Poison-type Pokemon are forbidden (because they have the virus).
    -Using the HM Fly is forbidden (travel restrictions).
    -Using the Day Care is forbidden (Pokemon in the Day Care spread the virus to each other, just like children).
    -Shiny Pokemon are unaffected by these rules (they are immune to COVID).

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to AD for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D

Special thanks to The Foogle for this beautiful pixel Necrozma Dusk Mane! :D
    Part of the Ultra Duo Set with Radiant Moon The Foogle! :D

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel View Post
    @Noblejanobii Thank you for posting this interest check thread! :) I would like to add two suggestions :

1) Regarding the community egglocke : this could also be done in Pokemon games that don't have Wi-Fi access (or don't have it anymore) thanks to emulators or R4 cards. This would be great for people who don't want to cancel their save files in the 3DS games. Of course, we would need to keep in mind that egglockes are impossible in Fire Red and Leaf Green (eggs cannot be traded to these games before the Pokemon League is defeated), and that eggs that contain Pokemon that aren't in the Hoenn Pokedex cannot be traded to Pokemon Emerald before the Pokemon League is defeated.

2) We could do a COVID challenge. A famous French Pokemon Youtuber (Newtiteuf) is currently doing that in a randomized version of Pokemon Emerald. Here are the rules of the COVID challenge :
    -The COVID challenge isn't a Nuzlocke. Therefore, Pokemon don't die and catching more than one Pokemon per area is allowed.
    -Any Pokemon that gets poisoned (i.e. is infected with COVID) has to quarantine in a PC box until the player wins 14 battles (i.e. quarantine for 14 days). Defeating a wild Pokemon or defeating a trainer counts as winning a battle, but catching a wild Pokemon doesn't.
    -Using physical moves is forbidden (to promote physical distancing). If a Pokemon accidentally uses a physical move, it has to quarantine in a PC box until the player wins 14 battles (i.e. quarantine for 14 days). Defeating a wild Pokemon or defeating a trainer counts as winning a battle, but catching a wild Pokemon doesn't.
    -Pokemon cannot be used further than 3 areas away from the area in which they were obtained (restricted travel radius).
    -The player can only have 3 Pokemon in their party (to promote physical distancing). If the player obtains a 4th Pokemon, they have to go to the nearest PC and deposit a Pokemon immediately.
    -The player can only have 6 non-quarantining Pokemon in their PC (because of the restrictions on indoor gatherings). If the player has more than 6 non-quarantining Pokemon in their PC, they have to get rid of the extra Pokemon (either by releasing them, or by moving them to a designated PC box and never using them again in the COVID challenge).
    -Using the Day Care is forbidden (Pokemon in the Day Care spread the virus to each other, just like children).
    That COVID challenge sounds fun. Wouldn't Steel-Types be in the same boat as shinies since they are immune to poison?

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Yeah having an emulator and downloading stuff is a tonne of work that I don't want to do, and also I'd rather play on a handheld/console. I hate playing games on a computer. xD

Also @Cleobel on the day care note, there are day cares/kinder/schools where I live that are open. Children don't catch the virus nearly as often as adults do, surprisingly. Unless these are supposed to be really tight restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ho-Oh View Post
    That COVID challenge sounds fun. Wouldn't Steel-Types be in the same boat as shinies since they are immune to poison?
    That's a very good question! I'm not sure about that. I don't think that Newtiteuf has caught a Steel-type Pokemon yet in his adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Altaria View Post
    Yeah having an emulator and downloading stuff is a tonne of work that I don't want to do, and also I'd rather play on a handheld/console. I hate playing games on a computer. xD

Also @Cleobel on the day care note, there are day cares/kinder/schools where I live that are open. Children don't catch the virus nearly as often as adults do, surprisingly. Unless these are supposed to be really tight restrictions.
    The rules of the COVID challenge are based on the situation in France : that's where Newtiteuf lives.
    In this episode of the COVID challenge (around 47 minutes into the video), he explains why he won't use the Day Care : "No, I won't use the Day Care because leaving Pokemon at the Day Care exposes them to COVID, as they will be in contact with it. Children touch each other's bottoms, so they spread diseases. So no, I won't use the Day Care".
    That being said, everyone is free to use their own rules.

Thank you (both of you) for being interested in the COVID challenge! :)

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

On the note of downloading emulators and ROMs, it's not really that difficult. No moreso than downloading any other program. I actually much prefer Emulators just because I have my computer on me more than my 3DS. But Macs also have the benefit of our main emulator being capable of emulating most consoles, as opposed to PCs which require several different emulators (Desmume, VBA, etc.). So I can understand the frustration.

That's true. I was moreso setting those restrictions in place because I figured I'd be handling the distribution of eggs and I don't have access to R4 cards. But that is certainly an option if people wanted to try it.

Seems like an interesting set of rules but don't most pokemon you get in the early game only have physical moves? How would you grind them then?
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches

@Noblejanobii Thank you for being interested in my suggestions! :)

Regarding the distribution of eggs : it is actually possible to trade Pokemon on some emulators, even if you don't have access to R4 cards.

Regarding the COVID challenge : Newtiteuf didn't have the problem that you mentioned because he is doing the challenge on a randomized version of Pokemon Emerald (his starter, Lapras, knew Water Gun at level 5).
    I have been thinking about how to do a COVID challenge on a non-randomized game. In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, it would be really tricky because the rival must be defeated before Poke Balls can be obtained. But in Fire Red / Leaf Green, it could be possible : the player would have to lose the first battle against the rival, then catch a Pikachu (that knows Thundershock) in Viridian Forest without weakening it (forests, caves and mountains are considered to be the same area as the route on which they are located, therefore Viridian Forest is considered to be the same area as Route 2, therefore the starter can travel to Viridian Forest). I'm not sure if the COVID challenge is possible in any other non-randomized games.

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

@Noblejanobii Thank you for being interested in my suggestions! :)

Regarding the distribution of eggs : it is actually possible to trade Pokemon on some emulators, even if you don't have access to R4 cards.

Regarding the COVID challenge : Newtiteuf didn't have the problem that you mentioned because he is doing the challenge on a randomized version of Pokemon Emerald (his starter, Lapras, knew Water Gun at level 5).
    I have been thinking about how to do a COVID challenge on a non-randomized game. In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, it would be really tricky because the rival must be defeated before Poke Balls can be obtained. But in Fire Red / Leaf Green, it could be possible : the player would have to lose the first battle against the rival, then catch a Pikachu (that knows Thundershock) in Viridian Forest without weakening it (forests, caves and mountains are considered to be the same area as the route on which they are located, therefore Viridian Forest is considered to be the same area as Route 2, therefore the starter can travel to Viridian Forest). I'm not sure if the COVID challenge is possible in any other non-randomized games.
    Hm right yeah that'd require use of an emulator then so I don't know if that'd be possible unless people were down to use an emulator for randomization purposes.
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    I'd love to do a Nuzlocke Challenge as well, but I'm also in the same boat as Shruikan with emulators, and I don't really have a huge selection of Pokemon to make eggs with. XD But I'd be down if anyone has other ideas. :o

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links