Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your first Shiny Pokémon?

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

What was your first Shiny Pokémon?

We have a thread to talk about our latest shiny acquisitions but what about your very first one? If you can't remember, what's the earliest shiny you recall getting, even if you don't know if it was your first?
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Easy. Red Gyarados in Gen II Johto.

... Alright, I guess that's probably not what you were looking for!

Now I can't say for definite if this was my first, but the first I remember reacting like "oh damn, a shiny" was when I caught a shiny Zubat in Granite Cave on either Pokémon Sapphire or Emerald. Last year, I recently went through the process of transferring that forward to Pokémon bank, so I still have him!
    Heartfelt thanks to Neo Emolga for my avatar!

3. This post has been liked by:

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Elbub View Post
    Easy. Red Gyarados in Gen II Johto.

... Alright, I guess that's probably not what you were looking for!

Now I can't say for definite if this was my first, but the first I remember reacting like "oh damn, a shiny" was when I caught a shiny Zubat in Granite Cave on either Pokémon Sapphire or Emerald. Last year, I recently went through the process of transferring that forward to Pokémon bank, so I still have him!
    Haha hey man it still counts!

My first shiny was technically the Shiny Pichu distribution in HGSS since they handed out shinies like hotcakes in Gen 4. But my first wild encounter shiny is a Shiny Psyduck that I still have on Pokémon Moon so hooray for transferring up shinies!
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches

5. This post has been liked by:

Elbub 

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Haha hey man it still counts!

My first shiny was technically the Shiny Pichu distribution in HGSS since they handed out shinies like hotcakes in Gen 4. But my first wild encounter shiny is a Shiny Psyduck that I still have on Pokémon Moon so hooray for transferring up shinies!
    I remember people back in the day claiming that you could get a Gold Magikarp (I don't actually remember when we started referring to them as shiny Pokémon...) at about a 1 in 4 chance if you bred the Red Gyarados. Generation II shiny mechanics did mean it was much more likely than in future generations, but I think it's as high as 1 in 64 if the offspring is the other gender of the parent!

I think some of my friends were either lying, or just got lucky...

7. This post has been liked by:

Digital OR Unknown Shaymin
    My first was a Shiny Igglybuff from the free egg in Silver. I've heard that the egg has a higher chance of hatching a shiny though, so not sure if it really counts.

My first regular encounter shiny was a Ponyta in Pearl. It's still on there I think, I really need to transfer some of those mons forward...

9. This post has been liked by:

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shruikan View Post
    My first was a Shiny Igglybuff from the free egg in Silver. I've heard that the egg has a higher chance of hatching a shiny though, so not sure if it really counts.

My first regular encounter shiny was a Ponyta in Pearl. It's still on there I think, I really need to transfer some of those mons forward...
    Yeah the odd egg! It has a 14% chance of being Shiny in the International versions of the games. Totally counts though.

Ponyta's shiny is so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbub View Post
    I remember people back in the day claiming that you could get a Gold Magikarp (I don't actually remember when we started referring to them as shiny Pokémon...) at about a 1 in 4 chance if you bred the Red Gyarados. Generation II shiny mechanics did mean it was much more likely than in future generations, but I think it's as high as 1 in 64 if the offspring is the other gender of the parent!

I think some of my friends were either lying, or just got lucky...
    Huh I never knew that. That's actually really interesting. I guess it has to do with the IVs and what not yeah?
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches

Huh I never knew that. That's actually really interesting. I guess it has to do with the IVs and what not yeah?
    Yes, basically, along with gender. The GB and GBC generations had many strange quirks...

Quote Originally Posted by Shruikan View Post

Ponyta is an amazing shiny! And you should definitely transfer them forward, and keep them safe in bank, or a more recent game!

As Noble said, the Odd Egg did have a much higher chance than regular wild Pokémon. But also it would have been on Pokémon Crystal, as the Odd Egg wasn't present in Gold and Silver.

12. This post has been liked by:

My first shiny encounter: A Budew on Diamond (which I accidentally K.O.ed (RIP)).

My first shiny catch: Eevee, pokemon B2/W2 (don’t remember which).

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AWA1997 View Post
    My first shiny encounter: A Budew on Diamond (which I accidentally K.O.ed (RIP)).

My first shiny catch: Eevee, pokemon B2/W2 (don’t remember which).
    Oh man that sucks so hard about the shiny Budew man!!
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches

Oh man that sucks so hard about the shiny Budew man!!
    Yeah. What’s even worse though, is on my next encounter I realized I didn’t have any pokeballs either, so I couldn’t catch it anyways. (I didn’t even know about shinies until I ran into the budew, so I didn’t stock up before heading past Floaroma Town and onto route 205, where I ran into it.)

16. This post has been liked by: