It’s Tuesday which means it’s time for Crossroads Comics!

This week we’re taking a look at Sundowner, an Ultra Sun nuzlocke comic by Dschubba. I stumbled across this comic completely by chance yesterday and after quickly binging all of it, I knew it had to claim the spot for this week’s feature.
Sundowner is very unique from many of the other Gen 7 nuzlockes we’ve seen, and it does well to sorta showcase that right off the bat with its very unique noir themed intro. As a sucker for the noir genre myself, this instantly hooked me, but don’t worry, if you’re not a fan, it doesn’t stay that way for very long. This intro sequence not only introduces us to our main character, Private Investigator Lehua Sideron, and her starter, Sangria the Litten, but also serves as a replacement for the cutscene that is shown at the introduce of all the Gen 7 games. Readers learn about Cosmog and some information surrounding the Aether Foundation, albeit not all of it. Right off this is very different from the usual introduction sequence but it flows very well as it establishes a motivation for Lehua right off the bat.
From there are story continues relatively along the same lines as the normal Gen 7 games do, but Sundowner isn’t afraid to experiment and does well to establish canon characters’ relationships with Lehua, both in good and bad ways. All in all, while we don’t know much about Lehua’s backstory yet, the story gives some hints that make it possible to infer what has happened, though only time will tell if our theories are correct.
One thing that I really like about Sundowner is its art style. While I don’t know for certain, it looks like the author is painting each page, which if true, means that Dschubba is putting a great deal of effort into each update! In addition, the character designs of both the Pokémon and the humans look really cool. Of the Pokémon we’ve seen so far, they all have a more realistic approach to their appearances, with Litten strongly resembling an actual black cat, etc. It’s a very nice touch and a great way to establish further uniqueness to the story. The humans designs are also very strong, with a diversity in clothing, great hairstyles, and overall just awesome color choices. Granted while many of the characters we’ve seen thus far are canon human designs, you can tell that Dschubba has made slight alterations to some of the designs to once again make them appearance realistic. It’s a very much appreciated effort because the art style and character designs are what caught my eye about the comic in the first place.
All in all, Sundowner is a very interesting comic with a story that isn’t afraid to deviate from the path set by Gen 7 games, explores some very interesting and dark themes, and has both a great art style and unique character designs. It’s easily bingeable at the moment and is definitely a worthwhile read. You can find Sundowner on ComicFury, Deviantart, and the Nuzlocke Forums. So if you like this comic be sure to support her and show Dschubba just how much you enjoy her comic!
And without further ado, let’s check out the rest of this week’s lineup!
Crossroads Comics
PMD: Chanterelle Time for introductions I guess!
PMD: Explorers of Life It seems Grey has his answer!
PMD: Wildfire Wow!! Talk about rude!
Pokémon Rising Shadows A reasonable fear to be sure.
Pokémon X Adventures A familiar voice!
Renegade’s Redemption Something’s off about this.
Shinka: The Last Eevee Someone get this boy a hug, stat!
The Spaced Out Rangers Enemy spotted!
ComicFury Comics
PMD: Anamnesis A true work of art, this update is.
Pokémon Quest for Truth The story begins!
Pure Light Oh! A familiar face!
Sundowner In hot pursuit!
The Emergency Coven What could possibly go wrong?
The Essence of Being Nyooooooom!!
The Legend of Incineroar This story will soon draw to a close.
Yet Another PMD Comic Is that boy sus?
Deviantart Comics
After the Ashes It seems Alder knew a lot more than he was letting on.
Change of Pace The battle rages on!
Golden Sun Seems Buizel isn’t too keen on this.
PMD: On Borrowed Time Our heroes safely return home.
PMD: Rescue Rangers Nothing like a good breakfast to get your started in the morning.
Trick of the Night Sleepy time!
Undertow Different perspectives are bound to cause friction.
Off-site Comics
Ask an Odd Pikachu Maybe someone can teach Eris!
Ask Another Clone Awww they’re so cute!
Ask Time Wonders So Tony’s color has to do with his past hm?
Floating On Drugs! Woo!
Genesis: A Gijinka Story M2 got them special abilities.
Kindling Ashes These designs are so cute!
Wandering Shepard Rodent in Breeches oh my lord.
The post Crossroads Comics #134-Sundowner appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.