Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Sometimes it can take a few months before you're cozy with a new job. My job with master data management took over a year to get used to just because there was SO MUCH STUFF going on that it took a very long time to get comfortable with it all. I mean heck, I've been in this job for a year and a half and I still get curveballs. But yeah, this role is CRAZY busy. It's rare there's any downtime, and if there is, it usually goes poof in a heartbeat.

But no matter what, NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER say you're low on work and you've got nothing to do to your manager. You can get badly swamped doing that and they usually won't pay you more because you're doing more. Make up work for yourself if you have to (such as just writing down how to do things and making guides for how to do tasks you usually do on a daily basis). Organize emails, folders, delete old email junk, do simple office clerical stuff.
    Yeah with jobs like that it's critical you don't put yourself in a vulnerable spot. Else you will make it a lot harder on yourself. I just got really lucky with mine I guess.

My boss even told me about the position I'm in and how he ended up choosing me. Where at first they kept sending him females and he told them "can I get some males." Most weren't great and he narrowed it down to me and one other guy. The other guy had no job, but he get kinda questionable when he answered a question telling him. "He'd quit the job for something else if he didn't like things." He liked how I handled talking over the phone so he chose me. Luckily I remember that day too. He so happened to call on a day I had off.

But yeah one thing my boss has flat out told me. So long as the job gets done he doesn't care what I do. I can sit in my office and watch movies on my phone, play games, do whatever I want. He didn't care if I brought in a big screen tv (clearly joking since site staff here wouldn't like that). I don't really do that all too often though. Unless I really don't have much. Last month was crazy with nearly 600 calls having to be made. This month is only around 300 and that's how it's supposed to be. They just forgot to switch it back to lower after December. So January was hectic.

I tell him all the time I'm game to learn more. So I'm supposed to be training in becoming a Collection Tech soon too.
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 02-07-2021 at 12:09 AM.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Yeah with jobs like that it's critical you don't put yourself in a vulnerable spot. Else you will make it a lot harder on yourself. I just got really lucky with mine I guess.

My boss even told me about the position I'm in and how he ended up choosing me. Where at first they kept sendi NF him females and he told them "can I get some males." Most weren't great and he narrowed it down to me and one other guy. The other guy had no job, but he get kinda questionable when he answered a question telling him. "He'd quit the job for something else if he didn't like things." He liked how I handled talking over the phone so he chose me. Luckily I remember that day too. He so happened to call on a day I had off.

But yeah one thing my boss has flat out told me. So long as the job gets done he doesn't care what I do. I can sit in my office and watch movies on my phone, play games, do whatever I want. He didn't care if I brought in a big screen tv (clearly joking since site staff here wouldn't like that). I don't really do that all too often though. Unless I really don't have much. Last month was crazy with nearly 600 calls having to be made. This month is only around 300 and that's how it's supposed to be. They just forgot to switch it back to lower after December. So January was hectic.

I tell him all the time I'm game to learn more. So I'm supposed to be training in becoming a Collection Tech soon too.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good manager! I like his style, I think I'd adopt something similar. As long as the work gets done, I think having that extra time to take a breather is well-deserved. If your reward is just more work, people are not going to be as motivated to really push to get things done. They'll take their time knowing they're just going to have stuff to do on their plate anyway.

My manager... she's nice, but she LOVES to pack on the busywork, as in filling downtime with things that really don't bring much value-added at all, but just pass the time even if they won't be all that helpful. I still remember how she asked me to make a product portfolio, it took me many hours and was a beast to organize, and then when I presented it to her, she had totally forgotten she asked me to do it in the first place and it hasn't been used at all since then. She also loves lunch and learns, which I'm not too crazy about because it means having to organize an hour-long presentation and it pulverizes your lunch hour (and hopefully you have the time to grab a bite either before or after). I've done two already and I'm expected to do two more in 2021, but I'm hoping after this that's it, because it's a lot of prep that goes into these on top of all the mountains of other tasks and responsibilities I need to address.

Administrator

Sounds like you have a pretty good manager! I like his style, I think I'd adopt something similar. As long as the work gets done, I think having that extra time to take a breather is well-deserved. If your reward is just more work, people are not going to be as motivated to really push to get things done. They'll take their time knowing they're just going to have stuff to do on their plate anyway.

My manager... she's nice, but she LOVES to pack on the busywork, as in filling downtime with things that really don't bring much value-added at all, but just pass the time even if they won't be all that helpful. I still remember how she asked me to make a product portfolio, it took me many hours and was a beast to organize, and then when I presented it to her, she had totally forgotten she asked me to do it in the first place and it hasn't been used at all since then. She also loves lunch and learns, which I'm not too crazy about because it means having to organize an hour-long presentation and it pulverizes your lunch hour (and hopefully you have the time to grab a bite either before or after). I've done two already and I'm expected to do two more in 2021, but I'm hoping after this that's it, because it's a lot of prep that goes into these on top of all the mountains of other tasks and responsibilities I need to address.
    You still work from home too don't you? Making getting things a bit more difficult. Not everyone's Internet is great and sometimes transfers take awhile, etc. so yeah I can see that being troublesome too. Also yeah on Fridays anyone that's here working at the office he buys breakfast or lunch for. Seems we've started taking turns deciding where we go. Today he wanted a burger....at 9:30 am xD. He had to wait an hour, but he got everyone Burger King lol.

Yeah and that sounds harsh. To pack on more work loads on top of work. If sounds like she just likes to put people to work so they aren't just sitting there. Good for work ethics, but with management. She could stand to be a bit more lax I guess. Give a little free time and breathing room. I haven't had to do presentations, but yeah I imagine those take a ton of prep work. Good on you though! Shows them they did right in keeping you on and you can do more.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

You still work from home too don't you? Making getting things a bit more difficult. Not everyone's Internet is great and sometimes transfers take awhile, etc. so yeah I can see that being troublesome too. Also yeah on Fridays anyone that's here working at the office he buys breakfast or lunch for. Seems we've started taking turns deciding where we go. Today he wanted a burger....at 9:30 am xD. He had to wait an hour, but he got everyone Burger King lol.

Yeah and that sounds harsh. To pack on more work loads on top of work. If sounds like she just likes to put people to work so they aren't just sitting there. Good for work ethics, but with management. She could stand to be a bit more lax I guess. Give a little free time and breathing room. I haven't had to do presentations, but yeah I imagine those take a ton of prep work. Good on you though! Shows them they did right in keeping you on and you can do more.
    Thankfully yeah, my internet has been pretty good. And yep, I'm still working from home. They think we'll be able to go back to the office in April but I have BIG doubts about that.

And yeah, it's rough. I understand what she's trying to do, but it's just not... practical. Most of it is a whole lot of work for very little return.

Administrator

Thankfully yeah, my internet has been pretty good. And yep, I'm still working from home. They think we'll be able to go back to the office in April but I have BIG doubts about that.

And yeah, it's rough. I understand what she's trying to do, but it's just not... practical. Most of it is a whole lot of work for very little return.
    Well you'll be back with your Emolga there at the office soon enough. Hopefully not too dusty or anything. Their probably gonna clean the office top to bottom beforehand though like many offices have. With the COVID protocols changing it's tough to say.

Well hopefully you're at least getting paid enough then. I mean not saying to you and quit, but should be at least enough gain for the cause. It's tough enough finding a job how things are right now.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Well you'll be back with your Emolga there at the office soon enough. Hopefully not too dusty or anything. Their probably gonna clean the office top to bottom beforehand though like many offices have. With the COVID protocols changing it's tough to say.

Well hopefully you're at least getting paid enough then. I mean not saying to you and quit, but should be at least enough gain for the cause. It's tough enough finding a job how things are right now.
    Yeah, I tried to get to my cube to clean it out last Thursday, but they denied my access even though I had completed the forms online. They wanted to see physical forms, too. I was like... what's the point of the online forms, then? I'm going to try again next week Friday, hopefully it works this time. I swear, I feel like burying them with thousands of copies of forms Harry Potter style.

Yep, I'm still getting paid the same (otherwise I would have fled for sure!). And yeah, it's hard getting a new job considering the COVID situation right now.

Administrator

Yeah, I tried to get to my cube to clean it out last Thursday, but they denied my access even though I had completed the forms online. They wanted to see physical forms, too. I was like... what's the point of the online forms, then? I'm going to try again next week Friday, hopefully it works this time. I swear, I feel like burying them with thousands of copies of forms Harry Potter style.

Yep, I'm still getting paid the same (otherwise I would have fled for sure!). And yeah, it's hard getting a new job considering the COVID situation right now.
    Yeah that makes no sense why they'd have forms to get access then deny it. They didn't have a reason for denial? Yeah they need to have some trick played on them like that to get back. XD

That's why I'm glad I actually got this job I have now. The guy it came down to between me had no job, but I showed more commitment. So it goes to show that's a good quality to show. Especially if it's an over the phone interview.

I just hope things get better as far as businesses, travel, and jobs with this COVID stuff soon. It's making traveling and vacations really near impossible.

The time is upon us...

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    I just hope things get better as far as businesses, travel, and jobs with this COVID stuff soon. It's making traveling and vacations really near impossible.
    Yeah, it kind of stinks that now I can afford vacations, I can't really go about doing so due to COVID.

Although on the bright side, I'm moving out in May. :o I'm really hoping this will improve my mental health!

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah no I’m already somewhat overloaded with work and they only plan to give me more so that’s fun. I’m working longer hours than I anticipated but the pay is really good so that kinda makes up for it. Starting to get into a rhythm by the end of my first week but we’ll see what next week holds.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Administrator

Ugh, I just... hate overtime. I've had to do it on a few occasions but it does make me kind of... irked.

That's the only drawback of being employed fulltime as opposed to being a contractor. As a contractor, you get time and a half for any hours over 40. As a fulltime employee, you just grin and bear it.

I've heard stories of some people having 80-100 hour work weeks. That would KILL me. I just couldn't mentally handle that, I would absolutely go berserk if my life was nothing but my job and that's all I existed for and got to do. XP