Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

It actually got worse for me in college because of the mass amounts of presentations I had to give for my poli sci, spanish, and comms classes.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

I learned late high school how to just be creative with it. Everyone's got do it. If I mess up I mess up, but go with it. Freaking out makes it worse.

The Senior project they stressed all year long. During the presentation DO NOT turn around and look at the presentation you are presenting. Over and over cause it takes off points from each judge. I thought it would be tough, but I put myself to memorizing it entirely.

Presentation day one judge is set aside to flip the page on the power point when it comes time. Just signal them. While presenting I just hear "uh-oh" from the lady changing my page. I pause a brief moment and glance at her at the computer then keep going. She eventually got it back and found where I was in my presentation, but that saved me xD. Each judge even mentioned that in their notes.

In college we had to write one creative story a week for literature based on the topic. Never made below a 90 on those. Was fun being able to be creative.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah I think part of it had to do with how strict the graders were. If you spoke too quickly or too slow, that was a loss of points, even if you were still perfectly understandable. Also if you fidgeted at all, that was a few points. Fidgeting included but was not limited to: picking at your clothes, picking at your fingers, talking with you hands, swaying, or moving really any part of your body other than your mouth. Any stumble, stutter, or misspeak was a few points. So on and so forth.
    / / / / / / / /

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, for me, making the presentation fun and light-hearted was a major help in finding that comfort zone. Not to mention people typically enjoy a presentation that makes them laugh and brings out a fun and colorful side to it. Presentations where I did this aced wel, and I wish I realized this much sooner.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I just don't like talking in front of people especially on a topic I don't care about XD
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Yeah, it's hard, there were plenty of presentations I had to do on topics I didn't care too much about either. In those cases, it just helps to really know your stuff and if you can't grasp everything, just try to grasp as much as you can, cover what you do know, and then fill in the gaps with other relevant material outside the scope of what the original assignment addressed, but still relates and can tie into what you presented earlier (kind of like a DLC). It also helps if you like and/or you know some good details of that additional "DLC" you're adding in there.

I had to do a 45 minute presentation on The Innovator's Dilemma and I covered most of the basics that the book went over, but with that much time to kill, I accompanied the presentation on the generation of where new ideas come from (as a potential origin source for what may cause disruptive innovation). Worked like a charm even though those last fifteen minutes weren't quite what was specifically addressed in the book, but I took it as an approach to find ways to go beyond that scope (and it allowed me to incorporate a fun video on YouTube that addressed this). And covering that kind of stuff was interesting and fun. Aced it, and that presentation was a big part of the final grade.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah I appreciate the advice but I don't think that's going to ease any of the problems I have with stage fright when giving presentations. ^^; Thankfully, at least for now I don't have to give them anymore.
    / / / / / / / /

Administrator

Yeah knowing what you're talking about and pushing to memorize a good chunk of it. Or at least key phrases to help you remember where you are in the presentation.

Yeah some people have stage fright and it's not easy to deal with. I think my biggest personal issue is being alone on a venture xD. Moving away is odd, but we all do it, but moving alone is odd. I still want to so I can move somewhere more north (cause snow and colder temps). But that and finding a new good paying job, and getting everything transitioned over would be the real challenge

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, I get that venturing out alone feeling. It's strange, doing it in a video game feels just fine, but in real life, it gives me a lost and a "what the heck am I doing" feeling.

Administrator

Yeah for sure. Especially if it's another country. Kinda a whole different worldly feeling if you ask me. Why I feel it's always good to have friends (especially around the world). Never know when someone might be able to help you out.

The time is upon us...