Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pokemon Memory

The applause, applause, applause~ MC Elesa's Avatar
    Editor-in-Chief

Senior Administrator

First Pokemon Memory

I thought I would steal something from the official Pokemon Twitter.

In this case....

What is your first Pokemon memory?

The first memory of Pokemon I had was reading an article in a science magazine. They were reporting on a Japanese's children cartoon had put hundreds of kid in the hospital due to seizures.

From there I decided to watch the anime to see which episode and the cause.
    Currently Playing: "CHRISTMAS!!!!"

By Neo Emolga

Senior Moderator

The time: Fall/Winter 1998

The place: My house

I had just received the latest issue of Disney Adventures (RIP) in the mail, and one ad on the very last page got my attention--a bunch of weird creatures about to be caught in a huge net. One creature stood out to me--a tiny yellow mouse with a thunderbolt for a tail. I decide to keep the little guy in mind as I put the finished magazine on the shelf with my back issues.

The next day at school, I asked a friend of mind just what this "Pokemon" thing was that was taking the school by storm. He then showed me a figurine of the mouse creature--who I learned was named "Pikachu".

Later that day, I was watching TV, and saw the famous bus commercial. That was the straw that broke the Camerupt's back--I got Blue that weekend, and the rest is history!
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 02-24-2021 at 01:01 AM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

My first solid pokemon memory was when I was camping in my backyard, January in the year 2000, on my birthday with other friends from school and homeschool. I just turned 8! I knew Pokemon /existed/ but mum didnt let us watch much TV and our church had told all the parents that this show supported evolution which they didnt support so... it was taboo.

My friend Jye had a gameboy and once most of our younger siblings had fallen asleep in the other section of the tent he was like "Hey hey hey you gotta try this game, it's really fun" and he explained the buttons to me and we laughed at all the weird animals! I think I chose chikorita because it looks cute, and he held the torch while I played the game and we stayed up quietly laughing and exploring until 2AM! That's very late for an 8 year old!

I didnt know at the time, but now I think of the maps I'm pretty sure it was Pokemon Silver.

4. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

First heard about it in an issue of Nintendo Power as "Pocket Monsters" in Japan with a picture of a chubby Pikachu and a screenshot of someone taking a picture of Squirtle in Pokemon Snap (the Japanese version). With how they originally described it, it sounded like Tamagotchi (raising a virtual pet thing) all over again. In those days, I was at my wit's end dealing with Tamagotchi stuff (was fun at first but it starts to nip at your nerves after a while), so my original impression at a first look wasn't too hot and I wasn't too optimistic. Surprise! They're really not alike at all (so glad you never have to clean up your Pokemon's feces XD). Shortly after that, my brother and one of his friends got together and wanted to get into it and have "Pokemon parties" (we never actually had one) to trade and battle them. So they invited me along and I hesitantly agreed to try out the Blue version though I was a skeptic at first.

And now I'm here 20 years later wearing an Umbreon kigurumi (like a onesie) with a whopping seventeen Pokemon plushies on my desk, six pieces of Pokemon artwork on it (four of them drawn by myself), a copy of the Detective Pikachu Blu-ray on it, with a computer that has Emolga as a wallpaper, and oh yeah, that's just my desk, never mind all the other heaps of stuff in the room.

I gave up on detoxing long ago, obviously! Thanks, Nintendo and Game Freak, you're the best!!

6. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

Kids WB. The anime was my first dip into the series and the start of the long continuing adventure. Started watching it from the day it was released in America.Not long after getting into that the games came out here. That only pushed me and my brother further into the series. Pikachu quickly became my favorite. Then Yellow version came out and I went crazy playing that.

Years later I did try getting out of it. Most of my friends had quit even my current best friend at the time. Then I decided to give it one more chance. A game called Pokémon Mytsery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team was releasing and as a kid I kept telling myself "I wanna be a Pikachu." That game made that dream come true (in a way). It was exactly what I hoped. Though I didn't get the full experience (cause 80% of the game I had the music off). Final chance I have it was with Pokemon Mysteru Dungeon Explorers of Darkness not long after. Music was up 100% and it destroyed me and my perception of everything at the time making me an emotional wreck.

Ever since then I've been hooked and have no intentions of ever backing out. I'm too deep into the series now. Plus I've made so many awesome and amazing friends I'll never forget from it!
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 02-24-2021 at 02:20 PM.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

8. This post has been liked by:

The applause, applause, applause~ MC Elesa's Avatar
    Editor-in-Chief

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    First heard about it in an issue of Nintendo Power as "Pocket Monsters" in Japan with a picture of a chubby Pikachu and a screenshot of someone taking a picture of Squirtle in Pokemon Snap (the Japanese version). With how they originally described it, it sounded like Tamagotchi (raising a virtual pet thing) all over again. In those days, I was at my wit's end dealing with Tamagotchi stuff (was fun at first but it starts to nip at your nerves after a while), so my original impression at a first look wasn't too hot and I wasn't too optimistic. Surprise! They're really not alike at all (so glad you never have to clean up your Pokemon's feces XD). Shortly after that, my brother and one of his friends got together and wanted to get into it and have "Pokemon parties" (we never actually had one) to trade and battle them. So they invited me along and I hesitantly agreed to try out the Blue version though I was a skeptic at first.

And now I'm here 20 years later wearing an Umbreon kigurumi (like a onesie) with a whopping seventeen Pokemon plushies on my desk, six pieces of Pokemon artwork on it (four of them drawn by myself), a copy of the Detective Pikachu Blu-ray on it, with a computer that has Emolga as a wallpaper, and oh yeah, that's just my desk, never mind all the other heaps of stuff in the room.

I gave up on detoxing long ago, obviously! Thanks, Nintendo and Game Freak, you're the best!!
    Oh my gosh Neo. That is me too as well. Granted, I don't have the Umbreon hoodie but I do have my favorite hoodie which is this varsity baseball style hoodie with white sleeves that needs to be washed. I got five pieces of Pokemon artwork on my desk, two plushes and this Lillie pins and Worlds 2019 cloth rag hanging as well. On to the top of the desk's shelf are 21 Pikachu (with Raichu) plushes along with all my Pokemon mini-figurines.

And that is not counting the various other figures and Pokemon plushes and posters that are elsewhere in my room.

I think it is safe to say that the Pokemon bug got us bad. haha
    Currently Playing: "CHRISTMAS!!!!"

By Neo Emolga

10. This post has been liked by:

Oh, it was when I was like 4 or 5 years old and I saw the cartoon on TV. Soon after that my mother bought me some Croissant that had Pokemon stickers in it. I collected almost all of the first Generation lol. Such great times <3
    Just caught a Pokemon Nanoblock!

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I can't remember exactly what my first memory was because a lot of my early memories blend together, but if I had to guess it was probably my Dad giving me a Pikachu plush for Valentine's Day when I was like 7ish. I think I was a huge fan of the show as a kid so that's why Dad got it for me. I still have him to this day too!
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MC Elesa View Post
    Oh my gosh Neo. That is me too as well. Granted, I don't have the Umbreon hoodie but I do have my favorite hoodie which is this varsity baseball style hoodie with white sleeves that needs to be washed. I got five pieces of Pokemon artwork on my desk, two plushes and this Lillie pins and Worlds 2019 cloth rag hanging as well. On to the top of the desk's shelf are 21 Pikachu (with Raichu) plushes along with all my Pokemon mini-figurines.

And that is not counting the various other figures and Pokemon plushes and posters that are elsewhere in my room.

I think it is safe to say that the Pokemon bug got us bad. haha
    Yeah I may not have any on my computer desk at home...but my clothes drawers, another tall clothes drawer, and the closet are filled with Pikachu and Pichu plush xD. Almost all of them won from Toreba. Nearly half are personally bought and one was made by Chibi Altaria (a chrochet Pikachu which I still adore).

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

14. This post has been liked by:

The Maddest Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

As you all may recall during my Hourly Comics Day pieces like half my bed is covered in Pokemon plushes. I have Pokemon memorabilia EVERYWHERE around the house.
    / / / / / / / /
    Icon by Penpeaches
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

16. This post has been liked by: