Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty nuts when it comes to prices up here. A popcorn + soda combo will generally nail you for around $12-$14 up here. It's lousy, you could get a full-fledged dinner for that price.

We used to smuggle in soda cans, which aren't too hard. I'll admit, that's much easier with a winter jacket on, though.
    Ah I meant the candy alone xD. Popcorn and soda combo here is usually $12-15 as well. Candy is as I said just $3-5. So nothing too crazy.

Can soda I thought would've got you caught more easy since they don't sell those in theatres.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    Ah I meant the candy alone xD. Popcorn and soda combo here is usually $12-15 as well. Candy is as I said just $3-5. So nothing too crazy.

Can soda I thought would've got you caught more easy since they don't sell those in theatres.
    Well, that's only if they see the can soda. But otherwise a 12oz can is small enough to not be spotted and satisfy your thirst. May not be as big as the drinks they have, but it'll be much, much cheaper.

Administrator

Yeah I still remember sneaking stuff in xD. It's a money saver for sure. Never did go for fan sodas. I just straight up went with the bottled soda.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, I bet I could pull off a bottled soda with a jacket on. But with only cargo shorts... nah, that's going to be sticking out and would rely on them not caring because they'd definitely see that sticking out. I usually go with cans as they can fully fit into a pocket.

I couldn't sneak in popcorn, though. Too fluffy and takes up too much space.

Administrator

Not unless you wanna go in looking like the little kid from A Christmas Story all suited up in his puffy jacket in the snow xD. Yeah cargo shorts in summer makes it hard. Least it's enough room to fit more things. Women have their purses. Unless they started checking those daily (which they won't unless there's something at the time life threatening causing them to do searches). Women could easily sneak in a lot of things depending on purse size.

See another reason I'd love the north though. All the cool looking jackets I can't wear here cause it never gets cold enough......and snow. XD

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't think they can frisk you trying to look for food and stuff. I think you'd have to be carrying it openly for them to stop you at the line.

Truthfully, I haven't seen any signs of "no outside food or drinks permitted" at the theaters I go to. I never see them searching anyone for stuff, either. In my opinion, it's probably not worth the trouble for them. And it's not like we're stealing anything.

The New York Renaissance Faire is a different story, though. They don't want people bringing it outside food and drinks, but to be honest, the food at the Renaissance Faire... kinda sucks. Beer is fine, ice cream is good (not the root beer float, that's like 90% ice), but the food is eh and it's definitely not worth the price. Usually when I go I just grab a pretzel and that's lunch. $4 still feels like a lot for a pretzel but it's better than spending $12 for something just haphazardly thrown together.

Sneaking something in seems like a good idea for that, though. We did that once (hid a backpack under a cape) and never got caught either. Saved quite a few bucks pulling that off. XD

Administrator

Yeah. So long as it's concealed enough or you don't just openly carry something in I'm sure they're cool with it.

Same I haven't seen anything like that. I haven't been to a theatre in a little over a year now though. So I can't say for sure. Only place I like the popcorn from is one particular theatre here. Mainly cause of the way they handle that. Seems the best. Though I only get a small or medium. Depends. I've still got gift cards xD.

Never been to one of those and I don't think I have anyone here that would want to go xD. They seem like they'd be fun, but I still feel like I'd be a little out of place personally. Not sure. Oh and yeah some pretzel prices are ridiculous. The one at our mall here can range from $3-7. Some things like those floats are really weird. Like at Universal Studios in Florida at the Harry Potter section. You can get Butterbeer. It's basically root beer float with a lot of ice that'll melt fast. Want more ice? Get the frozen one. It's weird and overpriced imo.

Smart idea xD. I remember when I was young that's just what our mom did. Hid stuff in her purse. Theme parks and stuff where she couldn't. Our parents just kept a cooler in the car and we cane out to the car to eat.

The time is upon us...

Senior Administrator

Yeah, I haven't seen the whole Harry Potter thing at Universal, yet, but I'd be curious to check it out. But yeah, Renaissance Faire can be fun, and dressing up makes you feel like you're more into it, though be prepared to role play (I'll admit this caught me off guard at first, but now I know XD). Some of the actors and staff may talk and prompt you into it, and it definitely leads up to some silly and memorable moments. XD

I go as a faerie and get called a "bug" and a "butterfly" a lot. Good times. XD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I think it'd be fun to go to a Renaissance Faire one of these days but I have no idea if there's any in DC
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Administrator

They're good fun. Lots of silly Robin Hood shenanigans, live music, jousting, silly acting, stunts like fire whips and knife throwing, and swordsplay stuff if that's what you're looking for. There's also quite a few shops that sell handmade stuff and it's pretty darn impressive, but it can be pricey. My recommendation is if you buy something, maybe wait until the end of the day so you don't have to carry it with you the whole time. Or see if you can bring it back to your car (for me, the parking lot is a pretty long walk to the actual faire itself). But yeah, every faire is different, but judging from what I've seen from the websites of others, it seems to be fairly similar.

New Jersey has a small one, but the one I go to is the New York Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, NY (which believe it or not, is actually closer to me than the NJ one). For me it's about 50 minutes, which isn't too bad, though leaving early is essential. I have left late and the traffic buildup is BRUTAL.

I checked for a Renaissance Faire near DC, but the closest one I could find was in Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, which is more than two hours away. And it looks nice but I don't know if I'd drive the two hours for it (though you could book a hotel room for the night in a nearby spot). But yeah, it's an experience and fun if you want to get some fresh air and enjoy some outdoor entertainment and music.