Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Early Christmas and Holiday Celebrations

In just about every store, as soon as Halloween is over, Christmas stuff pops up all over the place. As I’ve joked to family and friends, Thanksgiving feels like a Christmas season halftime dinner now. And not only that, but I’ve already seen people decorating their yards and houses for Christmas, which given it being this early, was a bit of a surprise. I've never seen this kind of early decorating, at least on a residential level (commercial is a whole other story, of course).

But I’ll admit in years past, it was a bit pesky to me when we haven't even had Thanksgiving yet. I’m feeling different this year and I’m okay with it and even welcoming the idea of enjoying the holidays again (part of me still feels like summer only just ended xD).

How do you feel about it, though? Are you one who enjoys getting into the holiday spirit as soon as possible without looking crazy or are you one who feels Santa Claus should strictly stay in his lane and only be around during the month of December?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    As someone who doesn't have Thanksgiving here, the holiday season can fully kick off at November.

In fact, here in our country, Christmas starts at September (mostly just countdowns to the holiday and Christmas jingles start appearing in public places). Halloween gets a 2-week-at-most intermission tho lmao

TWITTER: voltmakesart
    INSTAGRAM: voltairemakesart
    Spoiler:
    Current VPP
    Tynamo@330 (Chen)
    Hatch: 345
    Eelektrik: 447
    Eelektross: 450
    Level100: 630

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Personally I find it a tad annoying that Thanksgiving gets kinda overrun but that’s moreso because I feel like from October until the end of February is just non stop preparing for various gift giving holidays lmao. Like at least a few years ago the first two weeks of November you could gasp for air before diving into Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine’s, but now Christmas has just overtaken Thanksgiving and preparations for it start as early as September so it’s just like ahhhhhhhh. Though it also probably doesn’t help that my partner’s birthday AND our anniversary are right smack in the middle of that too so it makes that time feel even more crammed.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Administrator

I'll admit I haven't seen too much Christmas stuff in September, save for a few gift stores that really jump the gun by quite a bit.

But yeah, it definitely seems like Thanksgiving becomes more and more shadowed by it all. I'm getting so many ads of "start your Christmas shopping early" and yet no one has sent me a list of what they'd like, so how would I really even get started? xD

Administrator

In times like we're in right now. I personally think it's totally welcomed. With how stressful the year is with given Covid. Christmas seems to go by so fast. We get more time to celebrate while not totally forgetting Thanksgiving either. Other than colors and some talk of it. There's really not too much that's done in stores to celebrate Thanksgiving anyway. No decorations outside or anything to showcase it except colors or festive looking decor.

So Thanksgiving is more used as a way to help remind everyone "hey, take some time to be with friends and family. If you can't, don't forget them. Take this time to get ready for the holiday season and have fun."

And Santa needs to share his lane with Santa Chu this year! In all seriousness, yeah I always look forward to the end of Halloween so we can start celebrating Christmas. Wish I could decorate more outside personally.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    In times like we're in right now. I personally think it's totally welcomed. With how stressful the year is with given Covid. Christmas seems to go by so fast. We get more time to celebrate while not totally forgetting Thanksgiving either. Other than colors and some talk of it. There's really not too much that's done in stores to celebrate Thanksgiving anyway. No decorations outside or anything to showcase it except colors or festive looking decor.

So Thanksgiving is more used as a way to help remind everyone "hey, take some time to be with friends and family. If you can't, don't forget them. Take this time to get ready for the holiday season and have fun."

And Santa needs to share his lane with Santa Chu this year! In all seriousness, yeah I always look forward to the end of Halloween so we can start celebrating Christmas. Wish I could decorate more outside personally.
    I guess it makes sense, though. Thanksgiving, usually it's having a meal with the family, which is great and all, but besides that and maybe watching a bit of football, there's not really all too much to it. Meanwhile, you've got Christmas, which is all that, and MUCH MORE. Heck, everything you can do for Thanksgiving, you can essentially do for Christmas as well and then some. Really, how many movies are about Thanksgiving and how many are there about Christmas? The difference is so vast it's almost absurd and hilarious.

I'm tired of Christmas being pushed as early as august, can we stop this? Anyway, I never celebrate early, as I'm Jewish, and Thanksgiving is just meh to me.

Administrator

I used to love seeing it so early. Now I think they are pushing it a bit too early. Early November is good or at least starting in late (like the last few days to "start") in October. Before October? You're skipping some major holidays there.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

I remember when people used to complain about seeing it before Thanksgiving. Yeah, funny, that was a LONG time ago. Look at where we are now. :P

Some stores, like the gift stores at Cracker Barrel, have Christmas stuff for sale CRAZY EARLY. Like June/July kind of crazy early. It was like 95F outside, my mind's not thinking Jingle Bells and Ho-ho-ho over here. xD