Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Char's Challenges: Writing Prompts Galore!

Char’s Challenges

Writing Prompts Galore!

Hey writers! Are you feeling it? The crushing pressure of the dreaded writer’s block? Have you been staring at a blinking cursor for the last few hours, hoping that some Grecian muse will somehow materialize from the computer screen and bonk you on the head with a magical churro? Boy, I know how that feels. Heck, I’ve never even had a churro before. But that’s beside the point—point is, you’re down on your inspiration batteries and you need to get those creative juices flowing, am I right?

Well, this is the place for you, then! Every week I’ll be posting a writing prompt that will challenge you to approach your prose in a new perspective. You can wipe your slate clean and start fresh, or you can take your existing story and put this new spin on it. There’s no deadline, no expiration dates—these challenges are meant to be fun and flexible. Even if you’re not blocked (you lucky person you), feel free to pick up one of these challenges and write for the hay of it.

And when you’re done, please share what you’ve written! I’ll keep a record down below of your wonderful creations. And who knows—we might just feature ya on the main site!

Completed Stories:

Challenge I: Happy Birthday
    -->Baby's First Surprise by EmeraldSky

Challenge II: Music to My Ears

Challenge III: A Mile in Their Shoes

Challenge IV: Total Embarrassment

Challenge V: CURSED!!!

Challenge VI: Everybody's Got a Darkside

Challenge VII: Pressed for Time

Challenge VIII: Gender-swapped

Challenge IX: Random Story Generator

Last edited by FedoraChar; 08-31-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Banner by the legendary Neo Emolga!
    Little Lizard's Library of Tales
    Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Number III, the Argent Flame

Challenge I: Happy Birthday!

Welcome, welcome, ladies and gents of all shapes and sizes! Welcome to the grand opening of the Crossroads! What better way to celebrate than to write a piece of prose?

Wait, what’s that? You say you can think of better ways to celebrate a grand opening?

…True, true. But you know what I always say? THERE’S NEVER A WRONG TIME TO WRITE! 8D

Which brings us to our first challenge! Today’s almost like the Crossroad’s birthday, wouldn’t you agree? Our first challenge then, is this:

Hip-ha hurray, it’s somebody’s birthday today! Who could it be? Your main character? A side character? Your great villain? A canon character, perhaps, or an OC? Well, you’d better write and see. Tell us how their birthday went, whether it was sad or happy, a complete disaster or a dream come true. Feel free to use your existing characters, or invent brand new ones! Just be sure to share when you’re all done and… Wait, was that too much like poetry back there? Huh, weird.

Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Senior Moderator

It's not too late for entering is it? If not, here's a bit I did about the gang celebrating Dawn's birthday:

Spoiler:

Ash and co.

in

"Baby's First Surprise"

"So Dawn's birthday is tomorrow..." a black haired boy muses as he looks at the calendar."What should we do for a party?"

"Why not give her a surprise party, Ash?" an orange haired girl suggests. "The mall's having a bunch of sales tomorrow, and that would make the perfect distraction for Dawn while you guys plan the party."

"But we only have today to get everything ready, Misty!" a brown haired girl protests as she ties a red bandanna onto her head.

"Relax, May--Dawn's like you when it comes to shopping--if there's a sale, she'll be in the store for hours!" Misty assures the girl. and besides, don't you guys have her presents already?"

"If she won't leave the mall for hours, how will we get her back in time for the party?" Ash is concerned.

"Pini?" a pink humanoid asks as its owner, a brown haired boy with tan skin, enters the room with some wrapping paper.

"Dawn's birthday is tomorrow, and we're going to give her a surprise party." the boy explains as he wraps a DVD. Happini, however, is interested in the confetti print paper with "Happy Birthday" in shiny gold letters.

Misty sees the pink humanoid and the boy at work. "Oh, Brock? Would you make the cake for Dawn?"

Brock is unsure. "Remind me what kind of cake Dawn likes, again?"

"Yellow cake, you pick the icing color." Misty reminds him.

"Got it!" Brock finishes wrapping the DVD, takes the pink humanoid creature in his arms, and enters the kitchen.

"Ha pini?" The creature is confused as to why she's not helping out as Brock begins mixing the batter.

"Well..." Brock thinks for a minute. He doesn't want to tell Happini about the cookie incident, but Happini wants to help out. "Think you can help make this cake look pretty?"

"Pini!" Happini smiles.

Brock gives Happini a book of birthday cake designs. "Look through here and see what design you like." He goes back to the batter as Happini pages through the book. Once the cake is in the oven, Brock retrieves some chocolate frosting, some pastry bags, and colored frosting. "So what design should we make?" he asks Happini as he preps a pastry bag with blue frosting.

"Pini pi!" Happini shows Brock some flowers on one picture. "Ha pi..." she adds, referring to some frosting lillies on another cake.

"Flower themed?" Brock asks as he removes the cake from the oven to cool. After letting it cool and lathering chocolate frosting on it, he's about to create a frosting lilly when Happini whines. "Now what?" Happini grabs one of the pastry bags and asks to be led to the cake. "Well...this is for Dawn, and I bet she'd want it to look very nice." he explains.

"Pini pi!" Happini insists, gesturing to the decoration book to prove her point.

Brock sighs. "Okay...but only make the flowers where I tell you to." Happini nods and goes to work making frosting roses as Brock designs a frosting lilly. Once the flowers are complete, Brock writes "Happy Birthday Dawn" in blue frosting beside the open lilly. "There! We're done!"

A black haired girl approaches the kitchen. "Mm...smells good in here..."

Brock panics--he can't let Dawn see her cake yet! "Don't come in yet!" he calls as he hides the cake in a cupboard and tidies his work area.

Fortunately, a crash distracts the girl. I'd better see what Piplup's doing... she sighs. Brock heaves a sigh of relief--at least Dawn didn't see the cake.

"Pi pini?" Happini is confused.

"We can't let Dawn know about the party we're giving her--that's why it's a surprise party." Brock explains. "Tomorrow, when Misty brings Dawn home from shopping, we're all going to jump out of the closet and yell "SURPRIIISE!" Happini pictures Dawn's reaction and giggles.

"Okay..." Misty enters the kitchen with Ash and May. "Here's the plan for tomorrow: I'll get Dawn out the door by 8 AM and get her home by two, so you have six hours to get ready." Everyone nods.

"What about the cake?" Ash is concerned that Dawn could find it, or worse, Happini eat some of it.

"I'll put it in the fridge in the garage--Dawn won't think to look there, and Happini won't be able to find it." Brock suggests.

"And I'll see to it you don't eat it either." Misty adds.

Ash is dumbfounded. "Do I look like I'd eat Dawn's cake?"

"I know you too well, Ash." Misty deviously smiles. She motions to a yellow mouse creature. "Pikachu, give Ash a static jolt if he even thinks about going for the garage." Ash just makes a pained face as everyone else laughs. "Now...Ethan, Kamon, Crystal, and Lyra are coming to help, so we have decorating covered....and Brock, refresh yourself on the chords to "Happy Birthday." Misty instructs.

"Got it!" Brock replies.

"Pika chu!" Pikachu agrees, giving a little salute for effect. Ash just sighs--if he gets shocked constantly for six hours whenever he has a craving, it will be the longest six hours of his life.

The next morning, Ash waves goodbye as Misty and Dawn disappear down the sidewalk. "Have fun, you two!" he smiles before addressing the group. "Okay, guys--Misty said the signal to burst out of the closet was when she turns the lights on and says "Take a look".

"Let's get started!" A blue haired girl hangs up a hat with her name--Crystal--on the hat stand, sets up a ladder, and starts hanging up a "Happy Birthday" banner, which a brown haired girl steadies as she hangs her white hat on the hat stand.

"Come back here!" Ethan chases after a blue penguin creature, who has another banner trailing behind him as he giggles. May has no time to react as Ethan and the creature round a corner, making them collide and sending party mix flying everywhere.

"BZP!" Ash jolts to attention, dazed. He longingly smiles, eager to dig into the cake, but gets another BZP! as Pikachu shocks him again.

"Gotcha!" Brock untangles Ethan, May, and Piplup and retrieves the banner. "We only have six hours before Misty and Dawn get home." he explains to Piplup. Happini offers Piplup a doll of Sapphire Wave, and so the two of them go to play "Yes! Pokemon 5"

Meanwhile, a red haired boy helps Crystal clean up the party mix, and Brock is warming up on guitar. Ash, however, is playing lookout, never mind Misty and Dawn won't be returning for several hours.

Then he remembers no birthday party would be complete without games.

He grabs some buckets from the bathroom and some sponges from the kitchen and sets them outside, where Misty and Dawn won't see them. Next, he finds an old bedsheet with a wingless Beautifly drawn on it and some plastic wings and hangs it up from two chairs. Once that's finished, he gets a sheet of paper and starts writing down silly song ideas.

The brown haired girl giggles at what Ash is writing down. 'Those are good! What game are they for?"

"A silly song game, Lyra." Ash explains as he writes down "Little green pills--soft rock" "I played it at summer camp once, and my whole cabin was laughing afterward. Only difference with ours is, we have accompaniment." May bursts out laughing at some of the other ideas--a rock song about Kleenexes, a rap song about the door, and a jazz number about forks, to name a few.

"How about a...disco song about plates?" Lyra suggests.

"That's a GOOD one!" Crystal snickers. Inspired, everyone else starts yelling suggestions to Ash:

"A Latin song about soap!"

"A funky song about accounting!"

"How about a J-Pop song about a fence?"

"An aria about pecans!"

"A funky song about trombones?"

"Ooh, that's a good one!"

"It'd be funnier if it were about a turkey baster!"

"Even better!"

Ash is frantically trying to keep up with the suggestions. "Hey, slow down! I can only write so much at once!" He flips over the page he was writing on and writes down more ideas.

Meanwhile, Happini and Piplup return, piqued in the noise. Piplup's eyes turn to stars as Brock sets the cake on the table, but Happini sees movement from the next block--Misty and Dawn are coming! "Pini pini!"

"They're coming?" Brock gasps. "Quick, into position!" The room erupts into chaos as Ash frantically tears the silly song list into little pieces and sets the pieces in a box, the ladders are put away, and everyone retreats to the closet, with Brock flicking the lights off as he enters with Happini and his guitar.

"Remember, don't say 'Surprise' until Misty says 'Take a look" and turns the lights on." Ash whispers to Happini.

"PI-!" Happini starts....

"SH! Not yet, not yet!" Brock hisses.

Ash listens as he hears Dawn say "Why is it so dark? And where's everyone?"

"Take a look!" With that, Misty flicks the lights on, and...

"SURPRIIIIIISE!" Everyone bursts from the closet and a "Happy Birthday" banner unfurls, complete with Ash blowing a party horn for effect.

Dawn's eyes turn to stars. "Wow...you guys did all this for me?"

"Anything for a friend of mine!" Ash smiles. A guitar chord gets his attention, so he leads the singing of "Happy Birthday" as Misty presents the cake, now glowing with twelve candles. Dawn thinks for a moment, then blows out the candles in one shot, making everyone cheer.

"Thank you all!" Dawn smiles. "It was a nice surprise!"

"Pini?" Happini offers Dawn a hastily wrapped frame.

Dawn takes the frame and unwraps it, revealing a stick figure drawing of Dawn and Happini hugging. The words 'Happee Burfday Dawn' hang over the picture. "Aw, that's cute, Happini--you did that all by yourself?"

"Pini pi--happini." Happini replies as Pikachu arrives with another wrapped gift. By the time all the presents are opened, Dawn has bath supplies and clothes from her excursion, a DVD from Brock, a silver DS Lite and several games from Ash, a poster depicting coordinators from May, and a movie theater gift card from Misty. Ethan has several fantasy novels, Kamon gives a few accessories for contests, and Crystal and Lyra give a few more outfits.

"How bout it? Did we do good?" Brock smiles.

"Good? You did great!" Dawn replies.

Brock gets a knife from the silverware drawer. "And now the moment we've--or should I say--Ash has been waiting for..." he jokes as he cuts the cake and gives the first slice to Dawn. Ash digs into his share with gusto.

"Mm...you always make good cake--or any kind of food." Dawn smiles at Brock.

Once everyone finishes their share of cake and ice cream, Ash leads everyone out to the center of the room, where everyone sits in a circle. As Brock retrieves his guitar, Ash addresses the group. "Okay...the name of this game is 'Silly Song Maker'" he explains as he grabs the box full of silly song ideas. "I'll be passing around this box, which contains slips of paper with a song topic and a musical style on them. When you take a slip, let Brock see it first, so he knows what kind of music to play--then you have to sing silly lyrics about what topic you have for 30 seconds--the person that performs the silliest song wins." Inspired, Pikachu darts upstairs, only to return seconds later with a familiar red harmonica in his paws.

Ash, meanwhile, digs in the box for a while and retrieves the slip marked "Magic-rap". He sneakily grins as shows Brock the slip and turns his cap back as Brock does a sort of beat box noise. "Yo! Yo! I am a mage of power, and I travel cross the land, Monsters run when they see me, cause the power's in my hand! Chicks really dig me, they think my power's really nice, anyone that opposes me gets the fire and the ice!" Everyone laughs and applauds Ash.

"Not bad for a rapper persona!" Kamon laughs.

Ash takes a bow for his audience. "Of course, that was just an example performance, so it doesn't count." With that, he gives the box of ideas to Dawn. "The guest of honor gets first pick." he smiles as he sets aside his example slip in another box. Happini is in the kitchen, writing down ideas to refill the box in case Ash runs out.

Dawn digs around in the box, pulls out a slip, and laughs at the topic: "Chocolate--swing". Brock stifles a giggle and begins playing a walking bass line reminiscent of a string bass. Pikachu improvises a riff on top of Brock's rhythm for a moment as an introduction before Dawn begins "I know a sweet treat everyone adores, Be it milk, dark, mint or white, I am always wanting more! Morning time, night time, anytime's the right time--for chocolate! Yeah!" Applause fills the air.

"I liked that!" Brock smiles as he writes down Dawn's score: 8.0

"We'll see when it's my turn!" May retorts.

Crystal, however, digs through the box and takes out a slip marked "TV-gospel". "Question!" Ash walks over as Crystal whispers to him. "Does the song have to be about TV in general or can I sing about a specific show?"

"Well, you can sing about a specific show if you want, but you'll score better if you sing about TV in general." Ash replies, unaware that Happini has abandoned writing suggestions and has set the digital piano to "Rock Organ". "Unless you do really well singing about a specific show."

"Thanks!" At this, Crystal clears her throat as Brock, Happini, and Pikachu begin a melody reminescent of "Amazing Grace". "As I was flippin' through the channels, lookin' for a cool new show, I saw a pink and white angel on the screen, and I just had to know..." Pikachu adds a riff over Crystal's long note. "What was her name, what was her story? And what was her jiiiiiive? Thus began my obsession with 'Yes! Pokemon 5!" Everyone roars with applause.

"I didn't know you could get into it like that, sis!" Lyra is impressed.

"May I introduce a new rule?" Brock interjects as he writes down a 9.0 as Crystal's score.

"What is it?" Ash asks as he puts the used slips in the discard box.

"If you want to add some bonus points to your score, or didn't think you did well on the slip you got, you should be able to draw another as an encore." Brock explains. "Do good on the encore, and you can choose to keep the original score, or use your encore score in place of your original score."

"Great idea!" Misty likes the idea--it was rare for Brock to have a good idea, at least to her.

May, meanwhile, digs through the box, but groans at what she got: "Procrastinating-disco". Brock plays a riff reminiscent of "That's the Way I Like It" along with the rhythm of the digital piano, which Happini has set to "70's Disco" "Um...I have an important paper to do, uh-huh uh-huh...and I'd rather play with the Wii, uh-huh uh-huh, but it's 11 o'clock the night before, and it's due tomorrow...yeah!"

"I applaud you for trying, but that one wasn't very good." Kamon groans.

"I'd like to use an encore?" May tensely asks--she knows that her attempt wasn't good. Ash brings the box of slips over and she digs through it again, this time producing a slip marked "Ponytas-classical" Now this one I can do! With that, Happini sets the piano to "Trumpet 1" and plays a familiar melody before May belts out to the tune of the Light Calvary March "When I go giddy-up. to my horse, Buttercup, Buttercup won't get up and get going! Oh, Buttercup, will not giddy up, I'm stuck in the saddle again! When I go tally-ho, she will not tippy toe, Buttercup isn't up to tiptoing! Sad so-and-so, will not tally-ho, I'm stuck in the saddle now!" Everyone laughs and applauds.

"May's on top with a perfect ten..." Brock smiles as he recovers from laughing.

"That's gonna be a hard act for me to follow..." Kamon swallows hard as he digs for a slip.

"Before Kamon takes his turn, May's on top with a perfect ten..." Brock reads off the scores. "Crystal's in second, and Dawn is in third...but we still have a lot of slips to go through and it's just the first round, so it's anyone's game!"

Meanwhile, Kamon grimaces at the slip he got: "Underwear-blues" "May I forfeit my encore to draw again?" he begs.

"Oh come on, Kamon, try it!" Ethan begs.

"Well, Brock?" Ash asks.

"Are you sure you want to forfeit your encore? You won't get another till the next round." Brock cautions.

"Try it! Try it!" Hiro leads the enthusiastic chanting and stomping. Pikachu helps by adding a bluesy riff.

Kamon, meanwhile, is restraining himself from losing his temper over singing a song about something uncomfortable in a genre he hates. "I'm still going to forfeit my encore for this round." he tells Brock, much to everyone's chagrin.

"Okay..." Brock replies as Ash puts the slip back in the box. "What you drew is going back in the box, and you're stuck with what you get this time."

"Deal." Kamon replies and digs through the box again. After unfolding the new slip, he sighs when he sees 'J-pop-DVDs' on it. I can't win, even at party games. With that, he begins singing in nonsense Japanese, with random words such as "movie", "love", and "magic" thrown in. The applause is a little subdued, mainly because no one had a clue what he was singing.

"I'll give you a 6.0 for trying, okay?" Brock assures Kamon, who has his face buried in his hands, embarrassed.

"My turn!" Ethan digs through the box and finds the slip Kamon rejected earlier. "Maestro..." he calls to Brock. Brock begins a blusey tune and Pikachu wails on the harmonica before Ethan belts out "I really need to do laundry...I have no clean underwear..." Everyone howls with laughter, but Hiro goes on. "I really need to do laundry...I have no clean underwear...Mama's just gonna keep bugging me, till I get some clean underwear..."

"YEAAAAAH!!!!" everyone applauds, Kamon included.

"Now that wasn't so bad, was it?" Lyra chides Kamon as she receives the box.

"At least let me sing something I like next round..." Kamon sighs. Lyra just giggles as she digs up her slip. But when she reads what it says 'Queen-folk" she smiles. This'll be a cinch. She motions for Brock to begin before she sings "There once was a queen in a land so beautiful, until she found her son stolen away. Not one to sit tight and call on a hero, she took it upon herself, a dragon to slay."

"Uh, I think you missed the point..." Brock sweatdrops--Alma might give him a little competition in the storytelling arena if that song was any indication.

"Well, a folk song tells a story, doesn't it?" Lyra protests.

"Let it go, Brock--it's just a game." Ash agrees. "We can fight about technicalities later."

"Okay..." Brock writes a 7.0 next to Lyra's score column. "So, only Misty's left--go for it!"

Misty digs in the box for a moment, then unearths a slip: Performing-elevator music. Happini giggles as she abandons the piano, then returns with the triangle from the rhythm instrument set.

"What's the triangle for?" Ash is confused.

Happini hits the triangle once. "Pini pi!" she smiles.

Ash smiles. "That's cute!" He mimics hitting a button on an elevator, then waits for everyone else to do likewise. Once everyone is in the "elevator", Brock starts a calm yet brisk walking bass line.

"So, welcome to the show, how are you today? I'll be your lucky star, is there more to say?" Misty begins, with all the sappiness you would expect in elevator music.

"Is this a song or a talk show?" Dawn asks.

"Or a roleplay?" Kamon agrees as he his the "button" to his "floor".

"Quit talking and let me perform!" Misty snaps before motioning for Brock to start over."So, welcome to the show, how are you today? I'll be your lucky star, is there more to say? I'll make you laugh, or make you cry, performing is so graaaaandddd....so I'll just keep singing untill no more you'll stand!"

Happini hits the triangle again. "Ha pini, pini pi!"

Brock writes "9.0" in Misty's score box--an extra two points just for the role play. "So at the end of round one, May and Hiro are tied for first, Crystal is second, and Dawn is third..."

Some hours later...

"...and that's the last slip!" Ash announces as he shows the group the empty box. "So, who won?"

Brock studies the score sheet, mentally calculating each person's score. "Well...we have a tie between Misty and Crystal...."

"Okay, for a tie breaker...we'll let everyone else choose your topic and the song style." Ash explains to Misty and Crystal. "Whoever can come up with the sillier song, wins."

"The song should be about a sword..." Kamon suggests.

"Done Celtic style!" Dawn adds.

Ash gets an idea. I could get one of my whistles if we're going to do it that way.... He retreats upstairs to his room, then returns with a small gold colored end blown flute seconds later. Happini smiles when she sees the whistle in Ash's hands.

"Okay..." Brock flips a coin. "Heads, Misty goes first, tails, Crystal goes first..."

Misty smiles and clears her throat as the coin comes up heads. "Hit it, guys!" Ash and Brock begin a calm melody as she begins "A mighty blade of light in an elven boy's hands..."

Later, Ash finishes a blazing solo as Crystal concludes "Both sides fought with skill and courage, the boy's sword prevailed again, hi-ri-yu, iliyo, hi-ri-yu, iliyo, now Hyrule is safe and peaceful, they owe their thanks to a swordsman green, hi-ri-yu, iliyo, hi-ri-yu...."

"YEAH!!!" everyone cheers.

"Crystal wins!" Ash announces.

We see the group watching a blindfolded Dawn pin a wing on the wingless Beautifly picture for a moment before fading to the group walking outside, where the sponges and buckets are located. Brock now has a silver referee's whistle around his neck. "Okay..we're going to have a sponge race!" Ash explains before letting Brock explain the rules.

"Okay...everyone split into two teams." Brock begins.

There is some reshuffling as two teams are formed by the buckets. "Dawn, be on my team!" Crystal begs.

"Nah, be on my team!" Ethan counters.

"I'm on Sis' team!" Lyra declares. Dawn runs over to Ethan's team.

After seeing that two teams have formed, Brock addresses the group. "Now, when the whistle blows, take a sponge and run over to this bucket here." He points out a water filled bucket some yards away. "Fill the sponge with water, bring it back to your team's bucket, squeeze out the water, and pass it to the next person. Whoever can fill their bucket first, wins...any questions?" No one says anything as Crystal and Ethan grab a sponge. "Okay! Ready...set..." FWEET!!!!

Pikachu and Happini watch as Crystal and Ethan dash over to the water bucket. Ash is nearby, ready to measure the water level once somebody claims to have filled their bucket. "Pika Chupi!" Pikachu cheers as Dawn is next to receive the sponge. "Pika pika pikachu, Pika pika!" he cheers as Dawn edges Kamon to make it back to her team first.

Happini, however, is interested in a box of bottles reading "Sprayable Soap", but a whistle blowing and cheers signal that a winner has likely been decided in the race--all that remains is for Ash to measure the water level in the teams' buckets.

With Ash busy determining a winner, she opens a bottle of pink soap and sprays it on the grass. Pleased with her handiwork, she next opens a bottle of yellow soap, assuming it will make orange soap, but all it makes is a pink-yellow mess. She finds several more colors and tries to make a scene of a beach, but instead it looks like a pink-yellow-orange-blue-green-purple mass of goo.

Dawn sees the rapidly forming mass of goo in the grass. "What's that?"

Ash looks up from measuring the water level in Ethan's bucket when he feels something slimy on his shirt. When he examines the blue goo that seemingly has appeared on his shirt and jeans like magic, it turns out to be soap. "Where'd this stuff come from?" He's about to abandon declaring a winner when Misty slips on a blob of pink soap.

"Did you make all this goo?" Misty growls as she struggles to get up.

"No, I was busy declaring the winner of the sponge race." Ash explains. "Crystal's team won."

"Then who did?" Misty demands as she eases herself to her feet, only to fall in the pink mass again. She sighs as everyone laughs. It's not funny, guys.

"Pini pini pi!" Happini is heartbroken that Misty ruined her soapy masterpiece.

"Next time, think before jumping to blame someone." Ash tells Misty.

"Look who's talking!" Misty retorts.

Kamon steps over the blobs of soap and grabs a can of green soap. "SOAP FIGHT!!!" he yells as he sprays Lyra. Lyra grabs some blue soap and sprays Kamon back. Everyone else runs to grab some soap and spray each other.

After several hours, the soap cans are in the trash, what soap cans were not used are packed away, and the gang is an array of colors. "Now that was a fun way to cap off my birthday--some unplanned craziness!" Dawn smiles as she watches the sun set over the soap filled yard. "It made for a memorable day!"

"I'm glad you liked it, but how are we going to clean this mess up?" Ash asks as he tosses his soap filled socks and shoes in the washing machine. Everyone groans--showering is the last thing they want to do.

Suddenly, May notices Brock has disappeared. "Where'd Brock go?"

Just then, Crystal yelps as she is hit with a stream of water, washing away the soap on her. When she turns to see who it is, she spots Brock holding the garden hose and laughing. "Gotcha!" he laughs.

"Brock..." May sighs.

"Wasn't the soap fight enough?" Misty complains. "We're ready to call it a day." She then feels a spritz on her neck--Ash has unearthed some waterguns and sprayed off the purple on Misty's neck and back.

"Boys will be boys, Misty!" Dawn laughs as she retrieves a water gun and joins the mayhem.

THE END

Last edited by EmeraldSky; 05-16-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Hey, EmeraldSky! :D I'm so glad to see a story! But for future reference, it would be best to post your stories out in the actual board rather than in here--that way people can comment on them! This thread's mostly for indexing, you see! ^^ After you make the thread out in the board you can just post a link here--I apologize if I hadn't made that clear earlier.

(So for now, to keep things tidy, I'll put your story in a set of spoiler tags ^^ I'm enjoying it so far, BTW)

Also note that it's never too late to take up a challenge! There's no deadline here :)

Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Senior Moderator

Okay--I'll remember that for next time

Challenge II: Music To My Ears

For me, one of my greatest source of inspiration is music—and I’ve had a few short-stories that I’ve written based around one particular song. In fact, I’ve been working on one for the past few months. Yes, months. Yes, it is only a short story. But, you know how it goes.

Anyway, this is my challenge this week! Select one of your favorite songs (or maybe even one you’ve never heard before) and write a story from it. And here’s the catch: your story must feature a line from that song, or, if it’s solely instrumental, you must feature one of the main instruments somewhere. You can get creative with how you want to feature it, and it can come from the theme of the song or the general feel of the song.

HAVE AT YE!
    Last edited by FedoraChar; 05-25-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Senior Moderator

Here you are: Shambala Under the Stars

Challenge III: A Mile in Their Shoes

When you’re stuck with a problem, it’s always handy to step back and look through things in a new perspective. For this week’s challenge, you’ll take that to an even higher level. Whether you use an existing story, using existing characters, or you write up a completely new story, your challenge this week is to switch shoes.

Approach this however you’d like to; you can literally have your characters switch bodies, or have them merely switch roles. Your villain suddenly becomes the hero, or your main character suddenly wakes up in the body of their Pokemon/friend/mother. Or, you can simply write through the eyes of a side character—someone who isn’t prominent in your main story. What are they thinking about the circumstances of your story? How do they see your main character?

Somehow, some way, someone will be looking through someone else's eyes.

Paired with
    SlenderfairyComatose

Senior Moderator

Here you go: My Hero

MOAR CHAR! MOOOOOOARRRRR! I'd love to try and actually participate in some!

~SF.