Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I wonder what is.

TFW you don’t want to read Deltarune spoilers but still want to win Last Poster Wins.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

klsdjfsdf the drive to win fills you with DETERMINATION
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Administrator

Yep, still in it to win it.

Offhand, the outside of my office has spotted lanternflies all over the place. Dead ones all over the path and there's a bunch of them in the trees. Sure hope you guys don't have to deal with these things. Last I heard they're terrorizing Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey.

Administrator

I heard about NJ having them lately. Didn't know it was the entire Tri-state area yet, but knew it would probably be soon. Sounds like a bad time for landscapers to deal with.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

They're really killing trees around here. They poop all over them which creates a mold that ends up killing the tree.

They've also been killing hops and grapevines. That means less beer and wine!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Oh yeah aren’t those the bugs they’ve like actively told people to kill on sight because they’re that much of an ecosystem problem?
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Yeah, but there's just too many of them, now, and plenty of them are out of reach up in the higher branches. They're definitely going to need some kind of spray or other measure to get rid of them en masse. Stomping a dozen of them won't affect too much when they're out there in the thousands.

Not to mention I was in my office work clothes and didn't exactly have the ideal tools to whack them dead. Had this been in my backyard, anything like a shovel or an asphalt tamper would be a better way to get rid of them. Some sites say "just use your shoe" but that's only ok if you're wearing shoes you don't mind getting bug guts all over while walking on the ground now with your socks.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeesh!!

Yeah, that sounds a lot like what I'm used to dealing with when it comes to cicadas, except in this case it's like an actual ecosystem problem and not just... screaming bugs. I don't think the lanternflies have reached DC yet but if they're in NJ it seems like only a matter of time. Though with how much the temperatures have been dropping the last few days, maybe the cold will wipe them out? Not sure how chilly it is up there compared to here.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Yeah, from what I read, they're an invasive species from Asia and they started in Pennsylvania. Sounds like they tried to quarantine them but from the looks of things, it definitely didn't work. This was a few years ago, so unfortunately, I don’t think winter will wipe them all out.

And yeah, we still get the 17 year cicadas. Last we had them was in 2013. They were loud and sounded like a UFO. Honestly, good riddance, they were everywhere and were pretty big, about the size of a finger. Stepping on one was just... bleh.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeesh yeah that doesn't bode well then.

Oh yeah we get them every year in SC. I think they're technically the 17 year ones in SC and DC too they just pop up every year so for like a span of three months there's just cicadas everywhere. DC even specifically breeds a certain type of wasp in preparation for it every year so they can mass release them to help defend against the cicadas. And the only reason I know is because it falls under the purview of the committee I work for in Congress lmao.
    / / / / / / / /