Pokémon GO Fest did not disappoint! But can they deliver again?
Two days of non stop action. That’s the most simplest way to describe Pokémon GO Fest 2021. As a first time GO Fest participant, this event was everything I could have hoped for. But what made it so special, and what does Niantic need to do to ensure future Pokémon GO Fest events are just as successful? I got it all right here!
Day 1: Catch All The Things

Spawns changed on an hourly basis to reflect the current theme. Whether it was mountain themed, ocean themed, or any biome in between, The spawns were frequent and diverse enough that it never felt stale. There were lots to focus on and most of them were available as Shiny Pokémon.
Let’s be honest, that’s the real reason people play these sort of events; to see who can get the most Shinies. I felt the balance was perfect. The Shiny odds were perfect. Not too many, but just enough to keep me checking everything that popped up.
A few regional specific Pokémon were also available to help players fill out their Pokédex. Chatot, Sawk and Throh were showing up all around the world. The fighting duo also had their Shiny variants released for this event. Not that I could tell as none of them showed up for me.
The Collection Charts and the Special Research kept the gameplay at just the right pace, where it didn’t feel over whelming, and I also felt it couldn’t be rushed. This was a huge win for me and Niantic show take note and continue this trend.
Day 2: Hop Aboard The Raid Train

Everybody is here….thanks to Hoopa! The Mischief Pokémon surprised everyone by showing up as a reason for the appearance of every Legendary Pokémon. All previously released Legendary Pokémon have made their way back to Gyms. This was great because not everyone has had the chance to raid when specific Pokémon were out. All that was required this time was knowing what time your desired Pokémon was coming, and hopefully either the egg pops up near you, or you have a group of friends also playing elsewhere and can invite you.
The way Niantic implemented eight free Remote Raid Passes, through the “today” research tab was genius. Do a Raid, get a Pass and some Revives. It was so clever in fact, that I completely forgot it was there. I knew free passes were being given out, but I didn’t know where or how. I was thinking through a box in the shop. Yes there was a box of three passes, I just figured another box would show up after that. I guess that is on me though, not checking properly. Maybe a better notification system, like a pop up saying, “collect your completed research”.
Conclusion

Pokémon GO Fest 2021 was a complete success. And although I wasn’t able to dedicate a full two days to playing, I was thoroughly impressed and I feel it was worth the price of admission. With that being said, next year, when the price goes back up to the usual price, that may deter me from joining the fun. I don’t believe that the full price is worth it.
This year being the 25th anniversary of Pokémon and the 5th year anniversary of Pokémon GO, the event was discounted. Five dollars is so affordable. It allows families to play together. It encourages even causal players to give it a shot and maybe convince them to play more.
There is no good reason Niantic would need to raise the price again. Keep it low, and more will play. In the end isn’t that the main goal. I had fun, I hope you did too. If you are reading this from the sidelines, I hope you get the chance to experience a Pokémon GO Fest for yourself.
See you around, Genesect!
The post Pokémon GO Fest Recap appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.