growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Pokemon Journeys Anime

Has anyone been watching this?

I hadn't watched any of the anime since diamond and pearl but I really enjoyed the first season of journeys. It seems a bit more grown up, which is why I stopped watching originally. I really like that it is structured differently to the usual journey and also that Ash is catching some pretty awesome Pokemon! Though the way Goh can catch Pokemon is kind of ridiculous. xD
    GCEA

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I've been watching it! I'm definitely behind because I was waiting for Netflix to drop the new English dub episodes and then I got sick and went to the hospital and blah but I have really enjoyed everything I've seen so far. I like that they're mixing things up and having Ash visit all the different regions rather than just having him travel through Galar. It's super interesting and keeps things fresh while also developing the worldbuilding of these areas further. Plus, I like seeing how the regions have changed since Ash last visited, like with the gyms in Vermillion and stuff. Goh can be a bit ridiculous at times but I like that they're including a "Pokémon GO" themed main character who focuses more on collecting rather than battling. Battles are cool and all but as someone who enjoys collecting more, and really likes Pokémon GO, it's fun to see the mechanics of the game (like raid battles) implemented into the show's universe too.

This season has definitely made me laugh a lot more than most shows I have watched recently and really hit home with the nostalgia. I soooo need to catch up when I can because it's just been a really great and fun show thus far.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Yeah I really liked that they were travelling around all the different regions too! And I like that they do focus on some of the other characters and their backstories and development.

I think it's cool that Goh is catching so many Pokemon, I just find it a bit silly that he mostly doesn't have to weaken them first. xD But I guess there's no time to have constant battles.

I'm not sure when the second seasob will appear on Netflix here but in definitely looking forward to it!
    GCEA

I've seen all the episodes and it's basically the same tone the anime has always been. A mix of action eps, adventure eps, some funny eps, some random/duller filler eps, etc. It's basically the same light-hearted adventure it's always been.

The only real difference is there is no "main" female companion, unless you count Chloe, but she doesn't appear in every episode. What's funny is that after years of replacing Misty with 8 other female companions, now there is none at all. Kinda ironic this saga is set in Kanto most of the time (Ash and Go stay in Vermilion City before heading out), and they still chose to not bring Misty (or even Brock), back to the main cast. Even if they appear eventually it'll probably only be for 2 episodes again like in the Sun/Moon series.

Kinda ironic even all these years later, Misty really did stay gone permanently from every series after Johto. And remember that was back in 2002, by next year it'll be a full 20 years since Misty was written off. Hard to believe the anime has now gone on so long that we've had 8+ new female companions since and now the show has changed formats entirely. I think Misty is in less than 20% of the animes total episodes now, given there's about 900+ combined episodes from Hoenn onward. It's actually kind of funny when you stop to realize how short-lived Misty's role in the anime really was.

I haven't been much into the anime since 3rd gen but I was drawn to give Alola a go on Netflix and found it to have some of the best character dynamics since second-gen and an intelligent and mature Ash.

This experience had me continuing into Journeys and I've been enjoying that as well. The unique combining of GO, Let's Go and SWSH's premises and mechanics and content, with the ultimate tournament rather than the gyms, is intriguing and Goh adds a unique perspective to the table as the first character we've seen who focuses on the goal of filling the Pokedex on top of being likable.
    Chloe is a tad on the pointless side but has that undecided nature going for her and once she gets the Let's Go style Eevee interesting things have started to happen on her end.
    I also appreciated the small glimpse into Pikachu's life pre-Ash as a Pichu though it created a minor missing tie-in with the first-gen episode 'The Kanhasgkhan Kid' (i.e Pikachu being affected by being around the Pokemon who raised it again) and I believe Ash encounters the same Kanhasgkhan family that raised his Pikachu with no recognition by Pikachu.

Unfortunately, I have gathered that Netflix seems to be quite behind on uploading the series so I am having to repeatedly wait for small handfuls of new episodes to be released while catching spoiler snippets around the internet but one thing I am sure is accurate is that the series is missing Hop despite the entire tournament premise with Leon and I hope he will be introduced. His pressure to live up to Leon's name and the depression phase he has after losing to Bede in the games would provide another unique perspective t the anime.

Yeah, I watch it whenever new episodes drop on Netflix, but that's really the only time I do. Back when Pokemon aired on Tv, I'd watch it the day or morning it aired, and did for about eleven years before Pokemon Switched over to Netflix. I think Journeys is pretty good, but don't know where the anime will go when that finishes.