Thread: Get Fit Colosseum - a Pokémon Colosseum Art & Fitlocke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Site Editor

Administrator

Get Fit Colosseum - a Pokémon Colosseum Art & Fitlocke

Hello everyone! So recently, I was struck with the urge to play Pokémon Colosseum. I've attempted to beat this game a couple times in the past, but as a kid I was never able to make it past Cipher Peon Skrub (the irony) and when I attempted to emulate the games a couple years back, the file got corrupted shortly after the first Miror B fight, leaving me actually fairly blind to the latter half of this game. I've decided to fix that!

Additionally, because I am currently undergoing treatment for a condition that hospitalized me back in September, my doctor had said that he wants to see me "get ripped" in the near future in order to ensure I stay healthy. Thus, this will also be a fitlocke challenge in an effort to get me exercising more. And just to give me some creative fun too, I'm also making it an artlocke. I'll be progressively drawing all my catches, evolutions, and purifications throughout the run, just to let me have some fun character designing challenges too.

So here are the rules that I am playing with:

Spoiler:

Nuzlocke Rules:
    Spoiler:
    1. If a Pokémon faints it is considered dead and can no longer be used.

2. All Shadow Pokémon are allowed to be caught, but you are only allowed one attempt at each.

3. All Pokémon must be nicknamed (even if it's unofficially outside the game).

4. Gift Pokémon may be used.

5. Fainting during grinding does not count as a death for gameplay purposes. However, the equivalent exercise should still be done.

Fitness Rules:
    Spoiler:
    1. Obtain a Pokémon - 10 Jumping Jacks

2. Pokémon levels up - 10 Push Ups

3. Pokémon evolves - 10 Jumping Jacks

4. Purify a Pokémon - 10 Sit Ups

5. Clearing a Heart Gauge - +5 minutes of jumping rope

6. Learn/Unlock a move - 10 Lunges

7. Pokémon faints - 10 Push Ups

8. Defeat Cipher/Snagem Admin/Leader - +15 minutes of walking

9. Fail to walk at least 40 minutes a day - 30 Push Ups

10. Adjustments and substitutions for exercises may be made at the beginning in order to adjust for my baseline stamina levels but only if absolutely necessary.

Art Rules:
    Spoiler:
    1. Every capture must be drawn.

2. If a Pokémon evolves or is purified, they must be drawn to reflect this (if both of these occur like at the same time it can be just one drawing tho).

3. Designs must have a desert theme to them (i.e. accessories, subspecies, etc.).

Table of Contents
    Spoiler:

1. Play Session 1 - See Below

Play Session 1:
    Spoiler:

So let's get started! The beginning of the game is fairly standard when it comes to Colosseum. Since I've started to play this game twice before, I generally know what to do and where to go at least through the latter half of Pyrite. Blow up the Snagem base, wind up at the Outskirt Stand, and we have our first battle of the game against Rider Willie and his two Zigzagoon. It goes very smoothly with my Espeon just sorta absolutely decimating the poor guy's team. Speaking of which, let's take a look at our starters:

Starting out with our Umbreon, I have dubbed him "Zachary" for the time being. Obviously, I can't officially nickname him yet (I believe that isn't possible until Agate Village?), but we're still gonna name him regardless. He's level 26, is Bold natured (more Defense less Attack), has the ability Synchronize, and knows the moves Snatch, Taunt, Bite, and Secret Power. Definitely not a bad set up. His damage output isn't going to be that great, but Secret Power will be nice with potential status afflictions, Taunt will be good to handle mons like Misdreavus that like to spam status moves, and I think Snatch could potentially be useful if I get my own stat buffing moves (I'm bad at predicting when opponents would do that sort of thing so I don't foresee myself using it that much otherwise).

The real powerhouse of the duo is my Espeon, who I have dubbed "Niles". He's level 25, is Jolly natured (more Speed less Special Attack), has the ability Synchronize, and knows Confusion, Return, Helping Hand, and Reflect. The less Special Attack is a tad annoying but that doesn't change the fact that this guy still hits like a truck with Confusion in most of the early battles. Plus the buff moves like Reflect and Helping Hand are extremely useful in a double battle setting, so I know I'll be keeping Niles on my team for a while just because of that.

From there we move on to Phenac City where I battle some dweebs and rescue a kidnapping victim. Since you get to name Rui in this game I decided to be a little cheeky and name her after my partner, just in case there was like any funny dialogue instances or something. Instantly paid off.

The fact that it does like a little "doo doo doo doo!" after this line really sells it too. Oh Colosseum what a delight you are.

Anyway, I then proceeded to spend pretty much all my money on Potions, Super Potions, and Full Heals since with only two Pokémon on my team right now I'm more than a little paranoid about critical hits. Then we head to the mayor's office, meet the Definitely Not an Evil Villain Guy (TM), go to the battle stadium, beat up some Snagem grunts, and then set out on a quest for Pokéballs. It is at this point that I realize my mistake as I now only have 400 Pokédollars to my name and I begin to panic because I couldn't remember if they just give you free Pokéballs or not. Thankfully, the guy at the Outskirt Stand must've seen me for the idiot I was, because he does in fact give you five Pokéballs for free, and I bought two more with the remaining money I had just in case I needed them. Seven Pokéballs in hand, I then head back to Phenac City, where I now embark on my quest to catch the next two members of my team.

First up, of course, is Makuhita, who I catch easily, mostly because I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed to catch this thing. Unofficially dubbing her "Priya" for the time being, she's level 30, has the ability Guts, and knows Shadow Rush. Since her heart is fully closed at the moment, all her other moves as well as her nature are locked from me at the moment, so I'll give updates on that as I find them out. I'm not sure how much I will use her in the future, just because there are other Shadow Pokémon I want to use more, but Makuhita and Hariyama are still pretty solid fighting types so I'm not complaining. Plus, this early in the game, having another body on the team in any capacity is greatly appreciated.

After that, it's time to pick my "starter". For those unfamiliar, Pokémon Colosseum gives you a choice between the three middle stage Johto starters here: Bayleef, Quilava, and Croconaw. As a kid I picked Quilava, and the last time I tried to play Colosseum I went with Croconaw, but this time I actually opted to go Bayleef. I deliberated about this for a while because Colosseum actually does a great job of making them all pretty balanced and solid choices. Croconaw gets Surf, which is very nice in this game because this is before the move was changed to hit allies, so I initially was leaning towards picking it again. But I also distinctly remember that there are like five other water types in this game, including Quagsire which ALSO gets Surf, so that sorta axed it out. Quilava is nice because it gets Smokescreen and Dig, the former of which can be great for spamming and stalling and the latter of which is literally like the only ground-type move you can get until you purify Quagsire (at least if my memory serves). However, Quilava doesn't get any multi-target moves, which in a game that is all Double Battles, is kind of a big knock. Plus, the Slugma that you get in Pyrite gets Flamethrower, which is a lot better than Quilava's Flame Wheel, even if Quilava has a better Special Attack stat than Slugma. Which brings us to Bayleef. I was hesitant to pick Bayleef at first because normally with grass types you want a Pokémon that can spam status conditions like there's no tomorrow, but this Bayleef is too high level for that and there's no Move Relearner in this game to my knowledge, so the Skiploom in Pyrite was looking like a better choice at first. However, Bayleef gets Synthesis, Razor Leaf, and Body Slam, which is actually a pretty good spread of moves. Synthesis is a healing move which theoretically would help me conserve some money by not having to use healing items, and it'll be boosted in effectiveness once I purify Bayleef and unlock Sunny Day. Razor Leaf is a multi-target move and, unlike Croconaw's Surf, I don't believe any of the other grass types in this game learn Razor Leaf, or at least not in the early game, making it a lot more valuable in that regard. And then Body Slam is just a solid normal type attack move with a 30% paralysis chance. The only major disadvantage to having Bayleef on my team is that as long as I keep Espeon and Umbreon on my squad as well, I'm going to have a major weakness to bug types, so catching that Slugma in Pyrite is going to be a major priority now.

So all of that is to say, I picked Bayleef and dubbed him "Valere". Just like Priya, he's level 30 and only knows Shadow Rush at the moment, but I plan on working to unlock his Heart Gauges straight away because I really want to unlock Razor Leaf as fast as possible. This'll be the only multi-target move that I have access to for a little while, since it'll take a hot minute to unlock Surf on Quagsire (assuming I catch it), so it's one of my top priorities to unlock it ASAP.

Two new teammates in tow, I now embark to Pyrite, where I quickly succeed in capturing a bunch of Shadow Pokémon. None of them give me much trouble, outside of Misdreavus, which I very much appreciate because the Shadow Pokémon in the Battle Square provide a good spread of coverage in terms of types and moves. I picked up Noctowl first because the first move you unlock with it is Hypnosis, which made it a lot easier to catch the other Shadow Pokémon in the square. Misdreavus was the only one that caused any sorts of problems, because not only is this thing fast and likes to spam Confuse Ray, but the status inflicting moves that I had access to at that moment (Hypnosis and Thunder Wave) are all coin toss accurate, so it just made hitting this thing quite the hassle. Even having Zachary spam Taunt didn't make this thing any less annoying because Shadow Ball hits like a truck thanks to Misdreavus holding the Spell Tag. Eventually though, I was able to successfully catch it, which is really good because from what I remember this ghost is horrendously broken in this game and I fully plan to take advantage of that.

So here's the summary of the catches from Battle Square. This also includes any information I unlocked about them during the course of all these battles:

First up, we have Kfir the Noctowl. He's level 30, has the ability Insomnia, and knows Shadow Rush and Hypnosis. Definitely plan to keep him on my team for a while since Hypnosis is pretty useful and, if my memory serves, the moves Noctowl unlocks later are all pretty good, plus flying type coverage is always nice.

Next up is Andrea the Skiploom. She's level 30, has the ability Chlorophyll, and knows Shadow Rush. In all candor, I don't think I'll be using her much unless I lose my Noctowl or Bayleef. I know she gets Sleep Powder and Mega Drain, which is kinda nice, but I already have both sleep and grass coverage in the way of Kfir and Valere. So unfortunately for Andrea, she's kinda box fodder for now. But it's nice to have a backup in case I do lose Kfir or Valere.

Then there's Chamberlin the Flaaffy. He's level 30, has the ability Static, and knows Shadow and Thunder Wave. Definitely plan on keeping him on my team's rotation for a while, if not the entire run, because I am pretty sure this is the only electric type you get in this game other than Raikou. And given Raikou is no doubt going to be insanely hard to catch, that pretty much means I need to protect this sheep with my life. Also I really like the Ampharos line, they're good beans.

After that is Dawit the Quagsire. He's level 30, has the ability Water Absorb, and knows Shadow Rush and Amnesia. This guy is going to require some investment but it'll be so worth it in the long run. For one, as previously mentioned, he gets Surf, which doesn't hit allies in this game, and is also one of the only other multi-target moves you can get in this part of the game (iirc Miror B's Sudowoodo has Rock Slide and there's a Qwilfish with Surf in his hideout but otherwise that's it), so it's extremely valuable. But ALSO Quagsire can get STAB Earthquake later which is gonna be super nice AND Water Absorb as an ability is gonna be fun for gimmicky switching because if my memory about the copious amount of water-type Shadow Pokémon is anything to go by, there's probably a lot of water-types that I can get free switches on. So ya know fun stuff.

Next up is our resident troublemaker, Bastyar the Misdreavus. He's level 30, has the ability Levitate, and knows Shadow Rush. This guy was one of the last mons I caught in Battle Square specifically because I knew it was going to be a pain in the butt to catch, so I haven't been able to use him much yet, but that will change. As previously mentioned, Misdreavus is incredibly good in this game for a lot of reasons. For one, it's a ghost type, which means it's immune to normal and fighting-type moves. This inherently makes it great for switch strategies, but also, at least according to my partner, the AI apparently likes to spam normal-type attacks on this ghost despite them not being able to do anything, so that'll be fun to exploit, I'm sure. I also remember that this Misdreavus also learns Confuse Ray, Mean Look, and Shadow Ball before being purified, which is a REALLY solid moveset. Having suffered through the torture that was Confuse Ray spam trying to catch this thing, I can't wait to inflict said torture onto my opponents, especially with Mean Look to lock them in. The only downside to Misdreavus is that ghost-type was physical in this game, and Misdreavus doesn't have a great Attack stat, but the fact that Shadow Ball is STAB and Misdreavus is holding the Spell Tag kinda makes up for that.

Last, but certainly not least, we have Benjamin the Slugma. He's level 30, has the ability Magma Armor, and knows Shadow Rush. I intended to catch this guy well... not last given Flamethrower would provide some very necessary coverage to my team, but I couldn't remember which trainer in Battle Square had Slugma so of course it ended up being the absolute last one I battled. Go figure. That said, I definitely plan to take some time to work on unlocking this little guy's Heart Gauges so I can get access to Flamethrower before I get much further. So far, I've been lucky that the only bug types I've encountered have all been part poison, meaning Niles can dispatch them pretty quickly, but I don't want to run that risk for too much longer since Niles is way too valuable at the moment.

Additionally, during the course of all these battles, I unlocked some additional moves and information on Priya and Valere. Priya learned the move Focus Energy and revealed that she's Naughty natured, which is actually pretty good for a Makuhita. Naughty nature raises Attack and lowers Special Defense, so any fighting-type moves she learns from her on are going to hit just a bit harder which is nice. Makuhita is also already kinda frail anyway, so the extra vulnerability to psychic attacks is kinda null since I don't think I'd risk her being out against one of those. Valere also learned the moves Synthesis and Razor Leaf and revealed that he's Docile natured, which isn't bad either. Docile nature is a neutral spread nature so while it's not ideal, it's also by no means the worst nature he could have. Plus, multi-target and healing moves unlocked, heck yeah!

This is where I ended my play session for the night. My plan from here is actually to go back to Phenac City and challenge the Pre-Gym, since I remember those trainers being fairly easily and I think it'll be worthwhile to grind on them a bit before heading into the Pyrite Colosseum Gauntlet. I don't really remember what Pokémon I'm set to face in the gauntlet, but having more moves that aren't Shadow Rush seems ideal in any circumstance. I haven't fully decided exactly what team I'm going to run either but I'm leaning towards: Espeon, Bayleef, Misdreavus, Quagsire, Slugma, and Noctowl at least for now. I definitely plan to rotate my team around as battles require them though so we'll see further use from Umbreon, Makuhita, and Flaaffy yet. I also need to work on artwork for all these catches anyway and start cranking away at all the exercises I tallied up during this session before I toss on too many more haha, so stay tuned for pretty art in the near future.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Site Editor

Administrator

The first three character designs are done! These feature Zachary the Umbreon and Niles the Espeon, whose designs I based on a jack rabbit and fennec fox respectively, as well as Priya the Shadow Makuhita, who is based on stone golems!

Spoiler:

/ / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire