It’s Tuesday which means it’s time for Crossroads Comics!

This week we’re taking a look at Pokémon Abridgestery Dungeon by ThatOneAceGuy. This comic is a retelling of the original Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Blue and Red Rescue Team games in the style of an abridged series. It stars Kip, a meme loving human who wakes up in the woods one day to find he’s been turned into a Mudkip! He has no memory of how or why he was subjected to such a fate, but with assistance from Cara the Pikachu, he sets out on the adventure of a lifetime filled with tomfoolery, hijinks, and of course, Pokémon!

There won’t be a spoiler section in this article since everything I have to discuss today isn’t very plot related. The plot of the story itself is pretty close to the original games, albeit with the twist that Kip is not a silent protagonist. Instead, he can frequently be seen making vine references and saying things like “gucci”, much to the utter and complete confusion of those around him. It makes for an additional level of added humor, since it not only modernizes the story (albeit dating it a bit for future readers down the line), but also prompts some unique interactions between the characters. One of my personal favorites involves Kip referencing the song “Thriller” by Michael Jackson to scare Cara, but there are plenty of other memorable moments that will have readers cracking up.

I think the most interesting aspect of this story though is its progression from grayscale to color. For the first two chapters, are done almost entirely in a sketch-y grayscale style. This then changes in chapter 3 when the badges and eventually the scarves of Cara and Kip are colored in. Starting in chapter 4, Kip and Cara are fully colored in, and in chapter 5, Team ACT and Zapdos are fully colored in, but for both chapters everyone else and their surroundings remain grayscale. This short of slow progression to full color culminates in the start of the infamous Fugitive Arc, wherein everyone and everything is in full color. It’s a really interesting progress to see especially because each additional layer of color for the most part is marked by a certain event that reoccurs throughout the story. While I won’t say specifically what it is for people who have yet to experience the story of PMD Red and Blue Rescue Team, long time fans can probably guess what this cue is. Either way it’s really neat, and given we’re set to see more of this recurring event in the future, I’m wonder what, if anything, it will contribute to the comic’s style at large.

All in all, Pokémon Abridgestery Dungeon is a fun and goofy read that I think Pokémon and non-Pokémon fans alike will enjoy. It follows a story that is nostalgic for many and does well to not only poke fun at it, but really hit those emotional beats in a strong way, just like the original games did. So if you like what you’ve read so far, be sure to check out the comic as a whole on ComicFury!
And without further ado, let’s check out the rest of this week’s lineup!
Crossroads Comics
PMD: Chanterelle Pancakes!!
PMD: Explorers of Life Snow!!
PMD: Wildfire Rapunzel’s true occupation title is “Guildmaster Wrangler”.
Pokémon Rising Shadows Oh hello there Umbreon
Pokémon: Team Buckshot It was a trap!
Pokémon: Triple Tousle Shields up! We’re under attack!
Shinka: The Last Eevee Chapter 7 begins…
The Spaced Out Rangers Swim swim!
ComicFury Comics
Autumn in Sinnoh Gotta watch out for those mysterious voices.
Forgotten Boundaries Not an awful request but definitely one that will be hard to control.
Pokémon Abridgestery Dungeon Kip’s name is cleared!
PMD: Burning Resolution Well at least the Pansear is honest.
PMD: Rescue Rangers Whoaaa what a pretty town!
Rejuvenation: The Interceptor Journey YEET
The Caretaker Oh that’s not terrifying at all.
The Essence of Being Interesting, so it has to do with Ronas being Psychic type.
Welcome to Rakuenko Late! Late! For a very important date!
What the Water Gave Me Nettie is such a sweetheart.
Deviantart Comics
A Knight’s Gale Time for the first rival fight!
Adventures In Naljo: A Pokémon Prism Nuzlocke Ooh a mystery Pokémon!
Finding Balance What a cute duck!
French’s FireRed Nuzlocke Look at all those cameos!
Heroes of Tandor Battle begin!!
PMD: Hanging in the Balance That’s assuming they’ll listen of course.
PMD: Team Comet What a pretty scene.
Shiro’s Quest: A Nuzlocke Adventure in Hoenn Hot springs episode!!
Soul Brothers I can’t believe Omelette is related to Luigi.
Truth or Dare Nuzlocke This does seem like THE place to be for artists.
Yet Another PMD Comic Oooh a music festival you say
Off-site Comics
Ask Abby and Eva What a terrifying tale!
Ask Dusk and Dawn The ocean is quite beautiful.
Ask Neon Tiger This is going to be quite the adjustment.
Daily Marshtomp No wish needed!
In Blood We Rise What a coincidence!
Pushing the Limit Run Cyndaquil run!
Team Next-Gen Couple good boys enjoying a swim!
Team Pursuit These seem like bad memories.
The Ghost City Fight fight fight!!
The Last Journey Now THAT’S a temple!
Type Rho Now who might this be?
The post Crossroads Comics #176 – Pokémon Abridgestery Dungeon appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.