View Poll Results: How would you like to see Stalkers RPG reimagined? (see descriptions below)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional Horror (Original Flavor)

1 33.33%
  • Squawkers (Silly parody version)

1 33.33%
  • Dark Fantasy

1 33.33%
  • Noir

0 0%
  • Sci-Fi

0 0%
  • Action/Thriller

0 0%
  • Post-Apocalyptic

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Rekindling and Reimagining Stalkers RPG

So recently there was some talk about possibly beginning Stalkers RPG once again, although Season 5 did conclude the main, original series and this would need to be done as a spinoff as opposed to a sequel to Season 5. But since the original timeline of Stalkers had the book closed on it, the game is in a unique position where it can be taken anywhere in a variety of directions if a new spinoff were to start.

It all depends on what this new spinoff could start as.

I decided before ANY worldbuilding happens, why not try putting a poll out there to see exactly what kind of setting and themes the community would want to see? Nothing has been created yet, but I wanted to take a moment to toss around new possibilities in worldbuilding, but keep the general game system relatively similar to what worked in Stalkers. I figured this could be a great opportunity to experiment if the community would like to see that, or if you all want to keep things relatively the same as they were before, that's totally an option as well.

Just some notes. The game system will remain relatively the same (although a lot of stuff that appeared in Season 5 will be revised to make it easier to manage), but the size of the campaign will mirror Season 1/Season 3 in terms of size (more on the short and sweet side). It’s how that campaign will look is where you get to choose and discuss!

Read the descriptions below and vote on what you’d like to see most! Note that you can choose multiple options, but also keep in mind that Stalkers will always be in a PMD-like setting where there are only Pokémon in Pokémon-run civilizations and it will still keep the same investigative, interrogative, and deduction game format that the previous editions used.

TRADITIONAL HORROR – Voting for this option will keep Stalkers RPG as it has always been: mainly horror in a more modern present-day world. Most of what you’ve seen in previous renditions of Stalkers will make a comeback, but there won’t be any linkage or storyline connection to what happened in the previous 5 seasons, even though the look and feel will make the experience similar.

SQUAWKERS (THE PARODY VERSION) – As a April Fools joke in 2018, The Squawkers RPG was a total parody of Stalkers which played in a very similar way, but all the themes were silly, cartoony nonsense. Voting for this means you want more Squawkers! And I’ll be totally happy to deliver on that (I wouldn’t be able to promise another April Fools release date, though).

DARK FANTASY – Voting for this option means you’d like to see Stalkers take a more unique direction and be set in line with a more darker, gothic fantasy Medieval times setting, similar to what you might see in video game franchises like Diablo, Dark Souls, Path of Exile, and the like. It would be slightly akin to what you might get in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign with dark magic and some horror themes in there as well.

NOIR – Voting for this option means you want to try to see what Stalkers RPG would be like in a more 1930s-1940s film noir setting that describes American thriller, crime, and detective films, or films such as the Godfather series or films like those created by Alfred Hitchcock. Note that there would still be dark, supernatural forces at work in an Alfred Hitchcock and Twilight Zone kind of way.

SCI-FI – Voting for this means you’d like to see Stalkers take on a more futuristic setting, but still with darker undertones, similar to what you might see in the Dead Space or Prey series. This would also slightly reflect the kind of setting that was seen in Stalkers Season 2 where technology is more advanced and futuristic.

ACTION/THRILLER – Voting for this option means there wouldn’t be as much in the supernatural side of things, but it would play out more like an action movie but with some thriller and mystery elements dashed in as you and your companions would be trying to weed out the terrorist sleeper cells hidden among civilians.

POST APOCALYPTIC – A vote for this means you’d like to see Stalkers more akin to what you’d seen in post-apocalyptic settings like Mad Max, Fallout, The Last of Us, and other situations where most of civilization has collapsed and those that live struggle to survive in the aftermath of ruins that used to be bustling cities. Season 4 and Season 5 of Stalkers adopted a share of these themes, and if you liked what you saw there, a vote for this would mean more of that.

OTHER – Have a theme or setting in mind that wasn’t touched base on here that you think would be great to pursue for Stalkers RPG? I’m open and would love to hear your ideas and suggestions, so feel free to select this and open up the discussion regarding what you think could be a great setting and theme to build a new edition of Stalkers on.

The #1 Stalkers Fanatic C0L0R3D's Avatar
    I HAVE HEARD THE CALL AND I BELIEVE ITS MANDATORY I ANSWER-

Oh, neat. A chance to see Stalkers redone. I personally think the traditional horror aspects of it was what made me fall in love with Stalkers (I have a bit of a dark sense of humour) and O would love to see it come back just as we know it!
    Squawkers is a close second, too. Because where there's not dark humour, we have my golden sense of humour!
    That, and I wanna share some ideas I have for potential Stalkers. Being a fanatic, surely it wouldn't hurt to give a few of my own ideas a shot!
    Actually, nah. I'm just gonna drop some here anyways. >:D

Spoiler:
    #1. Reverse Route
    What if we find the hideout FIRST, and need to head in reverse to find who it belongs to? For example, let's say a Kigo the Wartortle stumbles into a hideout like this right away (totally unlocked and everything), but it has nothing scary to it. Only macabre hints to go backwards until he found, let's say, a {Crescent Globe} that he needed to insert on a pedestal or something. Only when the globe is in place do the TRUE horrors show up!

#2. Reference, right there.
    A hideout unlocked by items that look like they belong to other routes, but don't... basically Vam / Non's Disorder Door! A fun little callback to the first tale we were told. Minus that nightmare sleep power though, of course.

#3. How are you still alive? I HAVE NO IDEA.
    Instead of a hideout, maybe a Pokémon knows of a Stalker identity and somehow isn't dead. Like Dacul, that one spirit Mimikyu back in season 3. But... that guy was already dead. Shoot.

Probably quite a bunch of flaws in 'em, but I'm happy to get criticism on them.
    Last edited by C0L0R3D; 02-15-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Avatar(s) and banner(s) made by the excellent Neo Emolga for DBR V2!

Administrator

I think personally that a Squawkers version is much needed. It was good fun! Now it can be used to help create a more official new Stalkers spinoff. Making it as great as it can be.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The #1 Stalkers Fanatic C0L0R3D's Avatar
    I was wondering who dared defy the traditional horror, today WE GO TO WA-

Joking, joking. Honestly, I had voted for Squawkers originally but changed my vote to what drew me in. I wouldn't argue about going back to the craziness, though. That, and it would make sense to be a totally fresh spinoff!

Avatar(s) and banner(s) made by the excellent Neo Emolga for DBR V2!

Administrator

Oh trust me Neo could vouch for me there. I went wild for the Stalkers thing back when it was first announced xD. Loved the idea, premise of it, everything. The only reason I'm not going crazy and saying Stalkers first instead. I feel it'd be good to take time and reflect on just how to improve Stalkers for the community now since we're much smaller. Like with DBR. Smaller will be better. We can't afford anything too wild that'll break Neo. ^^;

So I feel taking the time to rebuild for something more fit to our size without breaking what defines the forums game as "Stalkers" too much at least. So something small and fun would fit right.

But yes. I'd love to see Stalkers return too.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

6. This post has been liked by: