And they’re already taking the internet by storm!

Everyone knows your Pokémon journey isn’t complete without the many companions that travel alongside you. Scarlet and Violet is not exception, with the latest trailer revealing the identities of the professors and rival that will be joining you.
New Professors

Yes you read that right, professors, plural. For the first time in history, there’s more than one professor to be featured in the games, with the professor you get depending on which game you’re playing. Folks playing Pokémon Scarlet will have the pleasure of meeting Professor Sada, while players of Pokémon Violet will get the chance acquaintance of Professor Turo. Each is carrying out research into certain lore passed down in the region. What lore is this exactly? Well, at the moment, we don’t know for certain, but I have a few theories that I’ll discuss later.
New Rival

No Pokémon game would be complete without your rival by your side! Meet Nemona, a cheerful trainer who loves to battle and has a new Pokémon called Pawmi as part of her team. Her description from Pokémon.com is as follows:
Your friend, Nemona, has a sunny and energetic disposition, and she absolutely loves Pokémon battles. She’s an experienced Pokémon Trainer and serves as a reliable guide for you on your adventures. She has undisputed skill in battle—though it does also seem that she’s not the best at throwing Poké Balls.
General Thoughts

So already, these new characters (the professors especially) have taken the internet by storm. Some people, definitely not me, may have forgotten to breathe for thirty seconds when first seeing Sada. Definitely not me though. Other people of course. It seems long gone are the days of boring people in lab coats, and the diverse designs just keep coming!

On top of this being the first time we have game-exclusive professors, this is also the first time that the professors haven’t been named after trees, which is an interesting break from the norm! In fact, Professors Sada and Turo are actually Spanish puns, being the second half of the worlds “Pasada” meaning Past and “Futuro” meaning Future. Their attire also feeds into this theme with Sada having an outfit that looks more caveman aesthetic while Turo appears to go more in the direction of cyberpunk or Tron. This has lead many people to believe that Scarlet and Violet will most definitely have some sort of time-theme, potentially involving time travel. Given the legendaries appear to be motorbikes, it’s possible we’ll be using them to ride through time or something. The so-called “lore” that these professors are passing down likely has something to do with these legendaries and the different time periods that these games take place in.
One theory I’ve also see from our very own Twitter quite piqued my interest:
Now that I am done with some articles, let me take my shot.
The villains for Pokemon SV are going to be the opposite professor.
Turo will be pushing to the future in Scarlet in a destructive way.
Sada will try to keep things in the past in a harmful way in Violet.
— Pokémon Crossroads (@PKMNCrossroads) June 1, 2022
An evil professor character is actually a genius idea here. While Pokémon is no stranger to make game-exclusive content like with the gyms in Sword and Shield or the Day-Night cycles in Sun and Moon/Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, it’d be really neat to see this have like an actual impact on the story at large, especially with regards to who the villains and their motivations are. It reminds me a lot of the 14th Pokémon Movie, which actually had two different versions with slight differences on who the good guys and bad guys were based on the version you watched. I’d really like to see something like that in Scarlet and Violet, especially since it means we’d get to see the professors play a more active role in the stories, akin to Sonia in Sword and Shield.

For all those a fan of the tree names though, fret not, the new rival has you covered. On top of being the first non-optional solo female rival in the franchise, my good friend PikeConstellation was able to deduce that Nemona’s name appears to be derived from the Spanish word “anémona” meaning anemone. Now, while this is typically used to refer to the underwater creature, we think it’s more likely to refer to anemone as in the flower! It could be both though, who knows. I also think it’s interesting that she seems to have a brace on her arm, as if to reference her trouble with throwing Pokéballs. I wonder if this will factor into the catching tutorial somehow.
All in all I’m very excited to see how these new characters factor into the world at large of Scarlet and Violet! But what do you think? Let us know your thoughts down below!
The post Professors and Rival for Scarlet & Violet Revealed! appeared first on Pokémon Crossroads.

Read more or post a comment.