Summer Short Story Bonanza

SUMMER SHORT STORY BONANZA!
    (It's so hot, but look at that sun! So chill!)

So, you wanna be the master of Pokemon writing? Want to have a little fun? Or do you simply want to express yourself in one of the very first events to be held on this lovely forum? Well, come one and come all, because you found the right place! ...Or one of them, anyway. This isn't the only event! So, I intend to keep this thread rather simple, and unintimidating to any new writers here. As for the experienced, this will be a rather pleasant read, easy to understand and best of all, short! ...It also helps that, because of finals week at college, I'm rather strapped for time and stressed SOOOOOO YEAH.

Rules:
    1. There must be a minimum of 500 words (on Word or a similar program) to be eligible.
    2. There is no maximum word limit. I despise these, so go nuts!
    3. Keep it PG-13. If you must insist on putting gore in there, please make note of it and put it in spoiler tags. (Code is [spoiler][/*spoiler], without the asterisk).
    4. No sex. Please, don't go here.
    5. Your story must follow the theme and be Pokemon related.
    6. Create a thread in the Writer's Desk for your story, and post a link to it here with the following "application" form.

Username:
      Story Name:
      Link:
      Word Count:

Theme
    SUMMER. Yep, that general. Why is it that general? I really don't want to limit anyone's creativity, so by keeping it as general as possible, you can delve further in. An invasion of Tentacruel, summer schooling in battling, awkward dates in the setting sun that end in a Croagunk's Poison Jab to the gut...Any sub theme you want, as long as the big theme is related to summer in some way, shape, or form. Fun right? You get free reign as long as you fit the rules and theme, and I highly encourage you to shoot for more than the bare minimum. The more effort you put into it, the better chance at winning...But at the same time, quality counts far more than quantity.

Grading Scale
    30 points total, judged by yours truly, Grassy_Aggron~ How will I judge?

10 - Spelling. To go easy on this, every 3 mistakes in spelling will cost 1 point. Using a program like Word and proof reading will drastically reduce your error rate.
    10 - Creativity. Honestly, this IS subject to opinion, but I really want to see how you can surprise me and get me feeling for the emotions involved. Hit me with your best shot! *Ducks a brick* Heeeey...
    10 - Overall Flow/Grammar. Does your story have the Dramatic Structure in mind? Exposition (although I expect this to be minor), Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, Resolution (also expected to be minor)? I realize these are short stories, but even the shortest should have some hint of the structure within it. This also corresponds to grammar. A lot of run on sentences will reduce how well the story flows and etc.

Feel free to check out my story creating guide in this same forum. It will give you an idea of what I mean if you don't know what the fudgebuckets I am talking about! :)

Rewards
    Besides satisfaction?!? ...Pfft, fiiiiine.

The winner will receive a custom banner, their story hosted on the front of the site, an award on the forum, and a possible future reward still being decided.

ALL participants will be given an award for participating, however :) Because you guys are awesome.

So go out there, and have fun! COME AT ME BRO WITH YOUR STORIES. (Wow this thread feels lazy. I blame a monkey.)

DEADLINE!!!
    September 21th, 2013 at 11:59:59 PM EST. At this point all entries will be locked for grading to prevent changes, but they will be unlocked once the results are in so people can post and comment :3
    Last edited by Grassy_Aggron; 07-17-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Made by the awesome X-Kun~

Senior Moderator

Can your entry have a few chapters, or does it strictly have to be a one shot?

Given that there's no word limit, I don't think chapters matter. xD As long as you get it in on time.

~SF.

I'm writing an entry for this. :)

| | |

How high can Tenacity get on the official Showdown Server's ladders?
    Spoiler:
    Format | Core Pokemon | Highest Rating | Highest Ranking | W/L

OU || 1677 | 497th/500 | 50/27
    Random | ? | 1605 | Unranked | 42/13

@ EmeraldSky - It can have chapters, yes. It will make it longer to read but, I'd rather NOT put a word limit on anything. Cuts off creativity, you know?

Also, deadline extended to the end of the month~

Senior Moderator

Okay! Now I have more time to brainstorm!

I might also enter this - working on a short story now! Great competition you're hosting!

Deadline extended to September 21st, 2013. That's actually the last day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

THE MORE YOU KNOW GAIZ.