Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Senior Moderator

Tale 209: The Murkrow (Ash)

(real tale: The Raven)

"There was once a queen who had a little daughter, we'll call her Keri." Ash begins. "Princess Keri was an energetic baby ever since she first entered the world, and one night, she was so fussy and restless that her mother could get no peace. As she mulled ways to calm her little one, she spotted a flock of Murkrows passing over the castle. So she opened the window and said to her child..."

"Oh, that you were a Murkrow and could fly away, then I might be at peace." Misty sighs as the queen.

"No sooner had she said these words, did Princess Keri actually turn into a Murkrow, and fluttered from her arms out of the window." Ash continues. "She flew into a dark forest and stayed there for a long time, and her parents knew nothing of her. Once a man--we'll call him Morgan--was passing through the forest, and he heard the Murkrow cry. He followed the voice; and when he got close, it said..."

"I was born a king's daughter, and have been bewitched, but you can set me free." Melody requests as Princess Keri

"What must I do?" Brock asks as Morgan.

"Go deeper into the forest," Melody instructs, "and you will find a house and an old woman sitting in it: she will offer you food and drink, but you must take none of it. If you eat or drink any of it, you will fall into a deep sleep, and won't be able to set me free at all. In the garden behind the house is a big heap of leather, stand on that and wait for me. For three days, at about noon, I will come to you in a coach drawn by four young Ponytas the first time, by four normal ones the second time, and by four shiny ones the third day; and if you are sleeping, you will fail to set me free."

"Morgan promised to do everything she said." Ash narrates.

"But ah!" Melody gasps, "I know quite well you are not my rescuer; you will probably take something from the old woman."

"But Morgan promised yet again that he would not touch the food or the drink." Ash intones. "But when he came to the house the old woman came up to him."

"My poor man," Misty coos as the old woman, "you are quite tired, come and be refreshed, and eat and drink."

"No," Brock waves Misty away. "I will not eat or drink anything."

"Even if you eat nothing, at least take a drink." Misty offers Brock a glass of water.

"Morgan was finally convinced to take a drink." Ash narrates as Brock drinks the water. "That afternoon, about two o'clock, he went out into the garden to watch for the Murkrow. As he stood there, he felt tired, and couldn't stand it any longer, and laid down for a little; but not to sleep. But no sooner was he sprawled on the leather heap did his eyes close, and slept so soundly, not even an earthquake could wake him up."

"I wish I could sleep that well every night." Brock smiles.

At two o'clock the Murkrow arrived in the coach drawn by four young Ponytas, but she was sad, knowing already that Morgan would be asleep, and when she came into the garden, sure enough, there he was." Ash continues. "She got out of the coach, and shook him, and called to him, but he did not wake up. The next day at noon, the same thing happened--the old woman came and brought him food and drink, but Morgan would take nothing. But she kept bugging him until he took a drink. About two o'clock he went into the garden to watch for the Murkrow, but he was overcome with weariness that he could no longer stand, and had to lie down. He fell into a deep sleep. When the Murkrow came up with her four normal Ponytas, she was sad, knowing already that Morgan would be asleep. She went up to him, and there he lay, and nothing would wake him up."

Giggles go up as Melody tries to rouse a "sleeping" Brock. "The next day the old woman came and asked what was the matter with him, and why he would not eat nor drink; but he answered..."

"I neither can nor will eat and drink." Brock retorts as Morgan as he sits back up.

"But she brought the dishes of food and the cup of water, and placed them before him, and when he smelled it all, he could not resist, but took a deep drink." Ash continues. "When the hour approached, he went into the garden and stood on the leather heap to wait for Princess Keri; as time went on he grew more and more weary, and at last he laid down and slept like a rock."

Brock sprawls out on the ground, "asleep". "At two o'clock the Murkrow came with four shiny Ponytas, and the coach also glowed like the sun." Ash goes on. "She was sad, knowing already that he was sleeping, and would not be able to set her free. When she came up to him, there he was. She shook him and called to him, but she could not wake him up."

Giggles go up as Melody tries to rouse Brock again. "Then she laid a loaf by his side and some meat, and a flask of water, but no matter how much he ate and drank, it didn't matter." Ash goes on. "Then she took a sapphire ring from her finger, and put it on his finger, and her name was engraved on it." He waits for Melody to do this with a prop sapphire ring she discretely conjured beforehand. "She also laid by him a letter, which said..."

"I see that here you cannot save me, but if your mind is set, come to the golden castle at the edge of the world. I know well that where there is a will, there is a way." Melody muses.

"With that, she got into her coach, and went to the golden castle at the edge of the world." Ash continues. "When Morgan woke up and noticed that he had been sleeping, he was sad to think that she had been, and gone, and that he had not set her free. Then, spotting the things she had left, he read the letter. He immediately set off for the golden castle, though he didn't know where on the edge of the world it was."

[Where was it?] Tarina asks, sparking with anticipation.

"Just listen, sweetie." Brock pets Tarina to assure her that Ash will tell her at the proper time.

"When he had wandered around the world for a long time, he came to a dark forest, and spent two weeks trying to find a way out, with no luck." Ash continues. "Eventually he was so tired that he laid down under a clump of bushes and went to sleep. The next day he continued on, and that evening, when he was going to rest, he heard wailing and crying, so much so that he could not sleep."

Misty swallows hard."Was it a ghost?"

"He looked up and saw a light glimmering in the forest; so he got up and followed it, and found that it came from a house that looked very small, because a giant stood before it." Ash shoots down Misty's prediction. "Morgan thought to himself that if he were to try to enter and the giant spotted him, he was toast. But he made up his mind, and walked in--and the giant spotted him!"

Gasps go up at the turn of events. "I am glad you have come," Brock smiles in his standard gentle deep voice for giants. "It has been a long time since I have had anything to eat; you will make a good dinner.

"That may be," Ash replies as Morgan, "but I would not relish it; besides, if you want to eat, I have somewhat here that may satisfy you."

"If that is true," Brock muses as the giant, "be at ease--it was only for want of something better that I wished to eat you."

They went inside and sat down to dinner, and Morgan brought out plenty of bread, meat, and drink." Ash narrates. The giant was pleased, and ate to his heart's content. After a while, Morgan asked him if he could tell him where the golden castle at the edge of the world was.

"I will look on my magical map," Brock offers as the giant, "for on it all towns and villages and houses are marked."

"So he brought down the map in his room, and looked for the castle, but it was not to be found." Ash narrates as Brock pantomimes studying a map.

"Never mind," Brock sighs as the giant. "I have upstairs in the cupboard much bigger maps than this; we will have a look at them."

"And so they did, but all in vain." Ash continues. "Morgan wanted to continue his journey, but the giant begged him to stay a little longer, until his brother, who had gone to town to buy supplies, returned. When the brother came, they asked him about the golden castle at the edge of the world.

"When I have had time to eat, I will look at the map." Brock assures the audience in a slightly younger giant voice.

He went into his room with them, and they looked at his maps, but couldn't find anything." Ash continues. "He brought in other old maps, and they never stopped searching until they found the golden castle at the edge of the world, but it was many thousand miles away."

"How will I ever get there?" he sighs as Morgan.

"I have a couple of hours to spare," Brock offers as the giant, "and I will start you on your way, at least."

"The giant guided Morgan until they got within five days journey of the castle, then left Morgan on his own." Ash continues. "Finally, he came to the golden castle at the edge of the world. It stood on a mountain of glass, and he could see Princess Keri circling around it, then going inside. He rejoiced when he saw her, and began to climb the mountain to get to her; but it was so slippery, as fast as he went he fell back again."

Laughter goes up at this. "When he saw this he thought he would never reach her, and thought seriously about giving up, but he decided to stay at the foot of the mountain and wait for her. So he built himself a house, and waited a whole year; and every day he saw Princess Keri circle around go in, but was never able to reach her."

"Did he ever reach her?" Misty wonders.

"One day he looked out and saw three bandits fighting over something." Ash explains. "When he went out and asked them what they were fighting over, one of them told him he had found a stick which would open any door only by touching it to the door and casting a spell. The second said he had found a cloak which, if worn, made the wearer invisible. The third said he had a Ponyta that would ride over everything, even the glass mountain. They were fighting because they could not agree whether they should keep the magical items for themselves,or share them.

"Suppose we make a bargain," Brock offers as Morgan; "I will confess I have no money, but I have other things more valuable to exchange for these. I will, however, try them out beforehand, to see if you are telling the truth."

"So they let him mount the Ponyta, and put the cloak on him, and they gave him the stick, and as soon as he had all of them, he was not to be seen; but he gave them all a sound thrashing!" Ash grins.

"Now, you good-for-nothing fellows, you have got what you deserve; perhaps you will be satisfied now!" Brock cries as Morgan as he whacks the cooler with a stick he picked up from earlier, making everyone howl with laughter at the comical scene.

Once Ash recovers, he continues "He rode up the glass mountain, and when he reached the castle gates he found them locked; but he touched his stick to the door, and sang..."

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Brock fills in the spellsong.

"and it opened with a creak." Ash continues. He walked in, and went up the stairs to the great room where Princess Keri sat with a golden cup before her. She could not see him so long as the cloak was on him, but as he approached he pulled off the sapphire ring she had given him, and threw it into the cup with a clink."

Misty gasps when she sees the prop sapphire ring in her hands. "This is my ring, and the man who is to set me free must be here too!"

"But though she looked through the whole castle, she didn't find him--he had gone outside, seated himself on his Ponyta, and thrown off the cloak." Ash explains. "When she came out to look, she saw him and shrieked out for joy; and he dismounted and took her in his arms, and she kissed him."

"Sorry, I don't do kissing scenes." Brock tries to shoo Misty away, but she eventually plants a small kiss on his left cheek, making him turn Charizard red.

Ash grins as he concludes. "Before long, Morgan and Princess Keri were married, and they all lived happily ever ever."

Senior Moderator

Tale 210: The Brave Little Tailor (Brock)

(real tale: The Valiant Little Tailor)

[I want to hear the story about the brave little tailor that killed seven in one blow.] Tarina requests.

"Oh, that Mickey Marill cartoon was one of my favorites!" Ash smiles, sighing nostalgically as he remembers the timeless cartoon.

"I practically wore out the poor cartoon DVD because Azurill likes it too." Misty agrees. "It's a cute cartoon, but it loses its charm when you watch it fifty times a day."

"Oh, but in my version of the tale, the titular character does more than kill a single giant." Brock smiles as Tarina clambors into his lap.

With that, he begins "On one warm summer's morning in a far away land, a little tailor--we'll call him Tomlin--was sitting by the window, happily sewing as he always did. Though the pay he earned wasn't much, it was enough to get by from day to day."

He adds as an aside "It helped that Tomlin enjoyed his work."

He continued "On this particular day, a Berry girl came to town, calling for anyone longing for fresh jam to come and buy. Her call got Tomlin excited, and he eagerly bought a jar of Grepa jam. Next, he got the bread out of the cupboard, cut himself a piece, and spread the jam over it."

Tarina and Pikachu lick their lips as Brock pantomimes spreading jam on a piece of pantomime bread. "But then he saw the half done jacket he'd been sewing, and decided that his snack could wait. So after setting the bread aside, he sewed on, quickly, yet carefully. The smell of the sweet jam started attracting Venonats...."

"Ew!" Misty winces as she pictures Venonats landing on a piece of bread.

"Hey! Who invited you?" Ash calls to some imagined Venonats as Tomlin.

"...Tomlin yelled as he shooed the Venonats away." Brock narrates, trying oh-so hard not to laugh at Ash shooing away pantomime Venonats. "The Venonats, meanwhile, did not understand a word of English, and kept coming back in ever-increasing swarms."

Tarina's laughter is the hardest as she pictures the comical scene. "Eventually, Tomlin lost his patience, got a bit of cloth from under his worktable, and clomped it down hard on the table. When he counted how many he had killed, he saw he had managed to kill seven with one blow." Brock continues. "Needless to say, he could not help admiring his own bravery."

"The whole town will know of this!" Ash grins as Tomlin.

"So Tomlin eagerly set to work making a suit of cloth armor, with a huge number 7 embroidered in red on the torso." Brock narrates, tracing out the 7 over his own shirt to show Tarina where the 7 was.

"Why stop at just the town?" Ash brags as Tomlin. "The whole world will hear of it!"

"So Tomlin put on his armor, and decided to go out into the world, because he thought his workshop was too small for his valor." Brock continues. "Before he left, he looked around the house to see if there was anything he could take with him; but he found nothing but some hard cheese, which went in his pocket. In front of the door he found a Fletchling which had gotten caught in the bush. It went in his pocket with the cheese."

"Mm-hm, no different than the cartoon so far...except the armor bit." Misty muses.

"The road led him up a mountain, and when Tomlin had reached the peak, there sat a powerful giant looking about him quite comfortably." Brock continues. "Tomlin strolled up to him and said..."

"Good day, comrade, sitting there overlooking the whole wide world!" Ash announces as Tomlin. "I am just on my way there, and want to try my luck. Want to come with me?"

"You ragamuffin! You miserable creature!" Brock roars as the giant, making the young Pokemon squeal in fear and delight.

"Oh, indeed?" Ash replies before proudly displaying his shirt to Brock, as if the red 7 is on it.

"The giant saw the big red 7 and thought that the number signified people Tomlin had killed, and began to feel a little respect for the little guy." Brock narrates as himself. " But as a test, the giant took a stone in his hand and squeezed it so that water ran out of it."

"If you can do that, I will trust you." he tells Ash as the giant.

"Is that all?" Ash retorts, "That's child's play!"

"Tomlin put his hand into his pocket, brought out the cheese, and pressed it until the liquid ran out of it." Brock continues as himself. "The giant did not know what to say, and could not believe his eyes, so he devised one more test. He picked up a stone and threw it so high up, no human eye could see it."

"Let's see you top that." he challenges as the giant.

"Well thrown," Ash grins as Tomlin, "but what goes up must eventually come down--I will throw you one that doesn't come back at all."

"Tomlin put his hand into his pocket, took out the Fletchling, and threw it into the air, where it flew away and did not come back." Brock continues as himself

"How does that please you, comrade?" Ash smirks as Tomlin.

"You can certainly throw," Brock confesses as the giant, "but now we will see if you are able to carry anything properly."

As himself, he goes on "He took the little tailor to a mighty oak tree which lay on the ground, and said..."

As the giant, he instructs "If you are strong enough, help me carry the tree out of the forest."

"Sure!" Ash grins as Tomlin. "Take the trunk on your shoulders, and I will carry the branches and twigs; they are the heaviest."

"The giant took the trunk on his shoulder, but Tomlin sat on a branch, and since the giant couldn't see him, he had to carry away the whole tree, and Tomlin too." Brock goes on. "Eventually the giant could go no further, and had to set the tree down. Tomlin climbed down, grabbed the tree with both arms as if he had been carrying it, and said to the giant..."

"You are such a great fellow, and yet you can't even carry the tree!" Ash taunts as Tomlin.

"They went on together, and as they passed a Cheri tree, the giant carefully gripped the top of the tree where the ripest Berries were hanging, bent it down, and gave some to Tomlin." Brock continues. "But Tomlin was much too weak to hold the tree, and when the giant let it go, it sprang back again, and Tomlin went flying into the air with it."

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" Ash screams for effect, making everyone laugh.

Even Brock is laughing before he composes himself. "What is this? Are you not strong enough to hold the weak twig?" he asks as the giant.

"There is no lack of strength," Ash explains as Tomlin. "Do you think that could be anything to a man who has killed seven in one blow? I jumped over the tree because the hunters are shooting down there in the thicket. Jump as I did, if you do it."

"Well, the giant made a valiant effort, but could not get over the tree, and got stuck in the branches." Brock narrates

As the giant, he offers "If you are such a valiant fellow, come with me into our cave and spend the night with us."

He continues as himself "Tomlin was willing, and followed him. When they went into the cave, other giants were sitting there by the fire, and each of them had a roasted Mareep in his hand. Tomlin looked round and thought, 'It is much more spacious here than in my workshop.' The giant showed him a bed, but it was much too big for a person like Tomlin. He did not lie in it, but crept into a corner. Around midnight, when the giant thought that Tomlin was fast asleep, he got up, took a great iron bar, and cut through the bed with one blow, thinking he had killed Tomlin once and for all."

"He obviously didn't..." Melody grins.

"Imagine the giants' surprise when Tomlin walked up to them unharmed." Brock affirms Melody's prediction. "They were terrified, and ran away in a great panic."

The tent explodes in laughter as the group imagines the giants fleeing. "Tomlin went on his way, following where the wind led him." Brock continues. "After he had walked for a long time, he came to the courtyard of a royal palace, and as he was very tired, he lay down on the grass and fell asleep. While he was lying there, the people came and saw the big red number 7 on his armor, and wondered what a great warrior was doing there in a time of peace. They concluded he was a great lord, so they went and told the king, and explained if war ever broke out, this would be a good person to have in their ranks. The advice pleased the king, and he sent one of his courtiers to Tomlin to offer him service in the royal court."

"That's why I came here," Ash smiles as Tomlin, "I would be more than honored to enter His Majesty's service."

"He was honorably received, and he got his own house all to himself." Brock continues. "The other soldiers, however, were very jealous of Tomlin. They knew well if they argued with him, and it came to blows, seven of them would fall at every blow. So they came to the king and said they were not prepared to stay with a man who kills seven in one blow. The king was sorry that for the sake of one he had to lose all his faithful servants, and thought seriously about running Tomlin out of town. But he decided against it, he feared Tomlin would strike him and all his people dead, and place himself on the royal throne."

[So what did he do?] Korra wonders.

"He summoned Tomlin, and told him that in a certain forest lived two giants, who caused great terror with their robbing, murdering, plundering, and burning, and no one could approach them without putting himself in danger." Brock explains. "If Tomlin killed these two giants, he would give him his only daughter, Princess Natalie, as his bride and half the kingdom as a wedding gift. On top of that, a hundred cavalry would go with him to assist him. "

"That would be a wonderful thing for someone like me!" Ash muses as Tomlin. "It's not every day one is offered a beautiful princess and half a kingdom!"

He then addresses Brock "I will soon subdue the giants, and do not require any help to do it; he who can hit seven in one blow, has no need to be afraid of two."

"And so, Tomlin went forth, and the hundred cavalry followed him. When he came to the outskirts of the forest, he said to his party..." Brock narrates.

"Wait here, I will soon finish off the giants." Ash instructs an imagined crowd.

"Then he bounded into the forest and looked around." Brock narrates as Ash does this. "After a while he spotted both giants. They were sleeping under a tree, and snored so much that the ground shook. Tomlin, meanwhile, gathered two pockets full of stones, and climbed up the tree. When he was halfway up, he slipped down by a branch, until he sat just above the sleeping giants, and then let one stone after another fall on one of the giants. For a long time the giant felt nothing, but eventually he woke up, pushed the other, and accused him of shoving him. They argued about it for a while, but as they were both tired, they let the matter go, and their eyes closed once again. Tomlin began his game again, picked out the biggest stone, and threw it with all his might onto the first giant."

[Uh oh...] Tarina giggles.

"He was understandably angry, and pushed his companion against the tree until it shook." Brock continues. "The other pushed him likewise, and they got into such a fight that they tore up trees and struck each other for so long, that at last they both fell down dead on the ground at the same time."

"It is a lucky thing," Ash adds in an aside as Tomlin, "that they did not tear up the tree I was sitting in, or I should have had to jump onto another like a Parchirisu; but we tailors are nimble."

"He drew his sword and gave each of them a couple of wounds in the torso..." Ash pantomimes a few sword moves with a stick, to Misty's bemusement. "and then went out to the cavalry and said..." Brock narrates.

"The battle is over; I have given both of them their final blow, but it was hard work! They tore up trees to use as weapons, but all that is to no avail when someone like myself comes, who can kill seven in one blow." Ash brags as he sheathes his pantomime sword.

"But are you not wounded?" Melody asks as one of the cavalry.

"You need not worry about that," Ash assures Melody as Tomlin, "They have not harmed one hair of mine."

"The cavalry understandably did not believe him, and rode into the forest." Brock continues "But sure enough, they found the giants swimming in their own blood, with the torn-up trees nearby, just as Tomlin had said."

Misty starts to applaud, but the grin on Brock's face signals the story is not quite over. "Tomlin demanded has promised reward; but the king reneged on his promise."

"Before you receive my daughter, and half my kingdom," he instructs Ash as the king. "you must perform one more heroic deed. In the forest roams a wild Beast which does great harm, and you must catch him first."

"I fear one Beast still less than two giants. Seven in one blow, is my kind of affair." Ash smiles as Tomlin.

"He took a rope and a bow with him, went into the forest, and bade those who were sent with him to wait outside." Brock continues. "He didn't have to look for too long--a wild Raikou soon approached, and rushed directly on Tomlin, as if it would eat him right there. Tomlin stood still and waited until the majestic Pokemon was quite close, shot an arrow with a rope around it into the tree..." Ash pauses to pantomime firing a bow. "then leaped like a Sawbuck behind the tree. The Raikou was easily tangled in the rope, and struggled mightily to get out, to no avail. He led the Beast away and took it to the king."

"Pika?" Pikachu asks, sparking happily.

"The king still would not give him the promised reward, and made a third demand--before the wedding Tomlin was to catch a certain wild Emboar that wreaked great havoc in the forest, and the huntsmen would give him their help." Brock narrates.

"Willingly," Ash grins as Tomlin, "that is child's play!"

"He did not take the huntsmen with him into the forest, and they were well pleased that he did not, for the wild Emboar had often ambushed them." Brock explains. "When the Emboar spotted Tomlin, it charged at him, and was about to throw him to the ground, but Tomlin hurried into an abandoned shrine which was close by, and went in and out the window. The Emboar ran in after him, but Tomlin ran around outside and shut the door behind it, and then the raging Pokemon, which was much too heavy to fit through the window, was caught."

"Wow!" Misty is impressed at Tomlin's cleverness.

"Tomlin called the huntsmen over, so they could see the Emboar with their own eyes." Brock narrates. "He returned to the king, who was now, whether he liked it or not, obliged to keep his promise, and gave him Princess Natalie and half of his kingdom."

He concludes "The wedding was held with great magnificence and equally great joy, and out of a tailor a king was made."

"Bravo!" Misty leads the applause. "I'd take your version over Mickey Marill any day!"

Senior Moderator

Tale 211: Princess Hatchling (Misty)

(real tale: The Egg Born Princess)

"Once upon a time, there lived a queen whose heart ached because she wanted so much to have a child." Misty begins. "She was sad enough when her husband was at home, but when he was away she would see nobody, but sat and cried all day long."

"Pi ni..." Happini sighs.

"Now it happened that a war broke out with the king of a neighboring country, and the queen was left in the palace alone." Misty explains. "She was so depressed that she felt as if the walls would stifle her, so she wandered out into the garden, and threw herself down on a grassy bank, under the shade of a Meli tree. She had been there for some time, when a rustle among the leaves caused her to look up, and she saw an old woman limping towards the stream that flowed through the grounds. When she had drank her fill, she came straight up to the queen, and said to her..."

"Do not take it as an evil omen, noble lady, that I speak to you, and do not be afraid, for it may be that I shall bring you good luck." she begins in an older version of herself.

"You do not seem very lucky yourself, or had much good fortune to spare for anyone else."Melody sighs as the queen

"Sometimes the sweetest berries have the roughest skins," Misty replies as the old woman. ‘Let me see your hand, that I may tell your fortune."

Melody holds out her hand, and Misty pretends to read her palm, "Your heart is heavy with two sorrows, one old and one new. The new sorrow is for your husband, who is fighting far away from home but, believe me, he is well, and will soon bring you joyful news. But your other sorrow is much older than this. Your happiness is spoiled because you have no children."

Misty then interjects as herself "At these words the queen became quite angry, and tried to pull away her hand, but the old woman said..."

"Have a little patience, for there are some things I want to see more clearly." she assures Melody as the old woman.

"But who are you?" Melody asks as the queen, "for you seem to be able to read my heart."

"Never mind my name," Misty replies, "but be glad that I can show you a way to lessen your grief. You must, however, promise to do exactly what I tell you, if any good is to come of it."

"Oh, I will obey you exactly,’ Melody cries giddily in character, ‘and if you can help me you will have in return anything you ask for."

"The old woman thought for a moment, then produced a tiny basket made of birch." Misty continues as herself. "She held it out to the queen, saying..."

As the old woman, she instructs Melody "In the basket you will find a bird’s egg. You must be careful to keep it in a warm place for three months, when it will hatch into two children, a boy and a girl. The boy you will bring up yourself, but you must entrust the little girl to a nurse. When the time comes to have them christened you will invite me to be godmother to the princess, and this is how you must send the invitation. Hidden in the cradle, you will find a Swanna’s wing...invoke the charm inscribed on it, and I will be with you directly; but be sure you tell no one of these wondrous things."

As herself, she continues "The queen was about to reply, but the old woman was already limping away, and before she had gone two steps she had turned into a Delphox, who moved so quickly that she seemed rather to fly than to walk. The queen, watching this transformation, could hardly believe her eyes."

Ash smiles--he knows the old woman was really the Delphox Kitsune in disguise. "She thought seriously about blowing it all off as a dream, had it not been for the basket which she held in her hand." Misty goes on. She hurried to her room, and felt around in the basket for the egg. It was a tiny soft blue egg with little green spots, and she kept it wrapped in a warm blanket every day."

"And then?" Brock asks.

"Two weeks after the old woman had paid her visit, the king came home victorious." Misty goes on. "At this proof that the old woman had spoken truth, the queen’s heart leaped for joy, for she now had fresh hopes that the rest of the prophecy might be fulfilled. She cherished the basket and the egg as her chiefest treasures, and had a golden case made for the basket, so that when the time came to lay the egg in it, it might not risk any harm. Three months passed, and the egg hatched into two children, a boy and a girl. She sent for the king, who was ecstatic at the sight of the children."

"Aw..." Melody smiles.

"Soon there came a day when the whole court was ordered to be present at the christening of the royal babies, and when all was ready the queen softly opened the window a little, held the Swanna wing out towards the sky, and invoked the charm written on it."Misty then pauses to sing Karuto, iichiida shou... "The guests were coming in droves, when suddenly there drove up a splendid coach drawn by six shining Ponytas, and out of it stepped a young lady dressed in garments that shone like the sun. Her face could not be seen, for a veil covered her head, but as she came up to the place where the queen was standing with the babies she drew the veil aside, and everyone was dazzled with her beauty. She took the little girl in her arms, and holding her up before the assembled crowd, decreed that she would be named Danielle–a name which no one understood but the queen, who knew that the baby had come from the yolk of an egg. The boy was named Damien."

"Wonderful names..." Brock grins.

"After the feast was over and the guests had left, the godmother laid the baby in the cradle, and said to the queen..."

In a younger version of her older voice, she instructs "Whenever Danielle goes to sleep, be sure you lay the basket beside her, and leave the eggshells in it. As long as you do that, no evil can come to her; so guard this treasure as the Leppa of your eye, and teach your daughter to do likewise."

As herself, she continues "Then, kissing the baby girl three times, she returned to her coach and drove away. The children grew up healthy and strong, and Danielle’s nurse loved her as if she were the baby’s real mother. Every day the little girl seemed to grow prettier, and people used to say she would soon be as beautiful as her godmother, but no one knew, except the nurse, that at night, when the child slept, a strange and lovely lady bent over her. Finally she told the queen what she had seen, but they determined to keep it as a secret between them."

"Kitsune is not gonna like this...." Ash muses.

"When the children were nearly two years old, the queen caught a terrible disease." Misty continues. "All the best healers in the country were summoned, but it was no use--nothing they did seemed to help. The queen knew she was dying, and sent for Danielle and her nurse, who had now become her lady-in-waiting. To her, as her most faithful servant, she gave the lucky basket in charge, and told her to treasure it carefully. "

"When my daughter," Melody weakly whispers as the queen, "is ten years old, you are to give this to her, but warn her that her whole future happiness depends on the way she guards it. As for Damien, I have no fears. He is the heir to the throne, and his father will look after him."

"The lady-in-waiting promised to carry out the queen’s last request, and above all to keep the affair a secret." Misty continues. "The next morning, the queen had joined Arceus in the heavens."

Tarina sniffles a bit, but Brock pets her to reassure her everything will be okay. "After some years had passed, the king married again, but he did not love his second wife as he had his first, and had only married her for ambition's sake." Misty intones. "She hated her step-children, and the king, seeing this, kept them out of the way, under the care of Danielle’s old nurse. But if they ever crossed the path of the queen, she would kick them out of her sight like Growlithes."

"That's not very nice!" Ash gasps in anger.

"On Danielle’s tenth birthday her nurse handed her over the cradle, and repeated to her her mother’s dying words; but Danielle was too young to understand the value of such a gift, and at first thought nothing of it." Misty goes on. "Two more years passed, when one day, while the king was away, the stepmother found Danielle sitting under a Meli tree. She fell as usual into a rage, and beat Danielle so badly that she went staggering to her own room. Her nurse was not there, but suddenly, as she stood there crying, she spotted the golden case in which lay the precious basket. She thought it might contain something to help her, and looked eagerly inside, but nothing was there save a handful of wool and two empty eggshells. Curious, she lifted the wool, and there lay the Swanna’s wing. Figuring the charm on it was worth a shot to invoke, she held it out and sang Karuto, iichiida shou....

She next confirms Ash's suspicions. "In a moment the beautiful Delphox Kitsune stood beside her."

"Do not be afraid," she assures Melody as Kitsune. "I am your godmother, and have come to visit. Your red eyes tell me that you are unhappy. I know that your stepmother is very unkind to you, but be brave and patient, and better days will come. She will have no power over you, and no one else can hurt you either, if you are careful never to part from your basket, or to lose the eggshells that are in it. Make a silken case for the little basket, and hide it somewhere safe, and you will be safe from your stepmother and anyone else that tries to harm you. "But if you should happen to find yourself in danger, and don't know what to do, take the Swanna wing from the basket, hold it out of a window, and invoke the spell I inscribed on it--'Karuto, iichiida shou...' and I will come to help you. Now come with me to the garden, so I can talk to you under the Meli trees, where no one can hear us."

As herself, Misty continues "They had so much to say to each other, that the sun was already setting when Kitsune finished giving all the good advice she wished to give Danielle, and saw it was time for her to go."

"Hand me the basket," she tells Melody, "for you must have some dinner. I cannot let you go to bed hungry."

"Then, bending over the basket, she softly sang some magic words...." Misty then nearly whispers as Kitsune Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... and in a flash of red light, a table covered with fruits and cakes stood on the ground before them. When they had finished eating, Kitsune led Danielle back, and on the way taught her the spell she had to sing to the basket when she wanted it to give her something--'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...'

Tarina and Pikachu spark happily, eager to know if there is a quest involved. "In a few more years, Danielle had grown into a fine young lady, and those who saw her thought that the world did not contain so lovely a girl." Misty goes on. "About this time a terrible war broke out, and the king and his army were beaten back, till they had no choice but to retreat back into town, and prepare for a long siege. It lasted so long that food began to run out, and even in the palace there was not enough to eat."

Ash swallows hard at the turn of events. "So one morning Danielle, who had had neither dinner nor breakfast, and was feeling very hungry, weakly invoked the Swanna wing." Misty continues.

Karuto, iichiida shou... Melody's spellsong doesn't have its usual gusto, reflecting her role's condition.

"She was so weak and miserable, that no sooner had Kitsune appeared she burst into tears, and could not speak for some time." Misty continues

"Don't cry, little one." Misty assures Danielle as Kitsune.. "I will carry you away from all this, but the others I must leave in the hands of fate."

She continues as herself "Then, motioning for Danielle follow her, she passed through the gates of the town, and through the army outside, and nobody stopped them, or seemed to see them. The next day the town surrendered, and the king and all his courtiers were taken captive, but in the confusion, Damien managed to make his escape. The queen had already met her death from an enemy spear."

"So, what became of Damien?" Brock is intrigued.

"As soon as Danielle and Kitsune were safe, Danielle disguised herself as a peasant, and in order to disguise her better, Kitsune transformed her face completely.

"When better times come," she instructs as Kitsune. "and you want to look like yourself again, you have only to softly sing the spell I have taught you into the basket, and your true form will be restored. But you will have to wait a little longer."

As herself, she goes on "Then, warning her once again to take care of the basket, Kitsune told Danielle goodbye. For many days Danielle wandered from one place to another without finding shelter, and though the food which she got from the basket prevented her from starving, she was glad enough to take service in a peasant’s house till brighter days came. At first the work she had to do seemed very difficult, but either she was wonderfully quick in learning, or else the basket may have secretly helped her. At the end of three days she could do everything as well as if she had cleaned pots and swept floors all her life."

"One morning Danielle was busy cleaning a wooden tub, when a noble lady happened to pass through the village. The girl’s bright face as she stood in the front of the door with her tub attracted the lady, and she stopped and called the girl to come and speak to her." Misty continues.

"Would you like to come and enter my service?" she asks as the lady.

"Very much," Melody replies as Danielle, "if my present mistress will allow me."

As herself, she continues "The same day they set out for the lady’s house, Danielle sitting beside the coachman. Six months went by, and then came the joyful news that Damien had raised an army and had defeated the usurper who had taken his father’s place, but at the same moment Danielle learned that the old king had died in captivity. She mourned for his loss, but secretly, as she had told her mistress nothing about her past life."

"Azu?" Azurill asks.

"At the end of a year of mourning, King Damien announced that he intended to marry, and commanded all the maidens in the kingdom to come to a party, so that he might choose a bride from among them." Misty explains. "For weeks all the mothers and all the daughters in the land were busy preparing beautiful dresses and trying new hairstyles, and the three lovely daughters of Danielle’s mistress were just as excited. Danielle was quick with her fingers, and was busy getting ready their beautiful clothes, but at night when she went to bed she always dreamed that her godmother Kitsune bent over her and said, "Dress your young ladies for the feast, and when they have started follow them yourself. Nobody will be so fine as you."

"Now it's turning into 'Cinderella'" Brock muses.

"When the big day came, Danielle could hardly contain herself, and when she had dressed her young mistresses and seen them off with their mother, she flung herself on her bed, and burst into tears. Then she seemed to hear a voice whisper to her..."

She whispers as Kitsune "Look in your basket, and you will find in it everything that you need."

"Danielle did not wait to be told twice!" she grins as herself. "She grabbed her basket, and repeated the magic words...."

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Melody fills in the spellsong.

"...and in a flash of red, there lay a dress on the bed, glittering like the stars." Misty continues. "She put it on with fingers that shook with joy, and, looking in the mirror, was awestruck at her own beauty. She went downstairs, and in front of the door stood a fine carriage, into which she stepped and was driven away like the wind."

"And then?" Ash asks, excited.

The king’s palace was a long way, yet it seemed like only a few minutes before Danielle arrived at the great gates." Misty continues "She was just about to get out, when she suddenly remembered she had left her basket behind. What was she to do?"

"Go back and get it, of course." Brock guesses.

"Thankfully a little Taillow flew up with the basket in its beak." Misty assures Brock. "The party was in full swing, and the hall was shining with youth and beauty, when the door was flung open wide and Danielle entered, making all the other maidens look pale and dim beside her. Their hopes faded as they gazed, but their mothers whispered together, saying, ‘Surely this is our lost princess!’"

A sick feeling wells up in Ash's stomach--are brother and sister going to marry each other?

"King Damien did not recognize her, but he never left her side nor took his eyes off her." Misty continues, noting Ash's pained look. "Around midnight a strange thing happened. A thick cloud suddenly filled the hall, so that for a moment all was dark. Then the mist suddenly grew bright, and Kitsune appeared in the room."

"This," she tells Ash as Kitsune, "is the girl whom you have always believed to be your sister, and who vanished during the siege. She is not really your sister at all, but the daughter of the king of a neighboring country, who was given to your mother to bring up, to save her from the hands of an evil wizard.’

She concludes as herself "Then she departed for heaven, and she and King Damien lived happily ever after."

"Are you sure you didn't just put that in to satisfy me?" Ash asks--the previous events and the ending don't add up in his mind.

"No, it's how the story goes." Brock assures him. "I've read several versions of this tale, and up until the end you think the brother and sister are blood related, but there is a subtle clue before the supernatural godparent--who it is depends on where it comes from--reveals the sister's true identity. It sounds like an Arceus ex machina, and in some versions, it flat out is, but if you really think about it, this version makes sense."

Ash thinks back over the story's plot. Is it possible that the usurper Danielle fled from was the evil wizard?

Misty notices Ash thinking hard. "Did you at least like it?"

"Yeah..." Ash smiles."But I'll leave the twist open to interpretation as to how it happened."

"Let's hope your next tale makes a little more sense." Melody smiles as Ash gets up to start his next tale....

Senior Moderator

Tale 212: A Flower Adventure (Ash)

(real tale: What Came of Picking Flowers)

"There was once a woman who had three daughters, whom she loved very much." Ash begins. " One day the eldest--we'll call her Miriam--was walking in the shallows of a river, when she saw a pink rose somehow growing in the water. She stooped to pick the flower, but her hand had barely touched it, when she vanished into thin air--poof!"

"Where did she go?" Misty wonders, fearing for Miriam.

"The next morning, the middle sister--we'll call her Hailey--went out into the meadow, to see if she could find any trace of her sister." Ash continues. "As she was searching, she spotted a rosebush by the road, with one branch sticking out into the road. As she bent down to move it away, she could not resist picking one of the roses. In a moment she too had disappeared. Wondering what could have become of her two sisters, the youngest--we'll call her Jen--followed in their footsteps, and fell victim to a jasmine branch. So the old woman was left without any daughters at all."

"So what sort of fiend captured these sweet little girls?" Brock asks--it pains him to hear about any girl, real or fictional, in danger. "And what about their mother?"

[Yeah, what did she do?] Tarina echoes Brock's concern.

"Simply put, she did what anyone else would've done in these circumstances--she cried." Ash replies. "She cried, and cried, and cried some more. In fact, she cried for so long, her son, who had been a little boy when his sisters disappeared, grew up to be a young man. Then one night he asked his mother to tell him what was wrong."

[And then?] Tarina sparks excitedly.

When our hero--we'll call him Gavin--had heard the whole story, he said..." Ash switches to a sightly higher pitched version of himself to represent Gavin. "Give me your blessing, mother, and I will go and search the world till I find them."

As himself, he continues "So he set out early the next morning, and after he had traveled several miles without anything of note happening, he came upon three boys fighting in the road. He stopped and asked what they were fighting about, and one of them replied..."

"Our father left to us, when he died, a pair of boots, a key, and a cap." Brock explains in one of his standard 'young man' voices. "Whoever puts on the boots and wishes himself in any place while singing the magic spell 'Seios, higarima laisido', will find himself there. The key will open any door in the world, and with the cap on your head no one can see you. Our eldest brother wants to have all three things for himself, and we wish to draw straws for them."

"Oh, that is easily settled," Ash smiles as Gavin. "I will throw this rock as far as I can, and the one who picks it up first, will have the three things."

"So he took a rock and threw it..." Ash pantomimes throwing something. "and while the three brothers were running after it, he quickly put on the boots, and cast the spell."

He then sings as Gavin Seios, higarima laisido...

As himself, he continues "In a flash of bright light, Gavin was standing on a steep mountain before the gates of a great castle guarded by bolts and bars and iron chains. The key, which he had not forgotten to put in his pocket, opened the doors one by one, and he walked through a number of halls and corridors, till he met a beautiful and richly-dressed young lady--his sister Miriam--who jumped in surprise at the sight of him, and exclaimed...

"Oh, sir, how did you contrive *to* get in here?" Misty gasps as Miriam.

"Gavin replied that he was her brother, and told her how he had been able to pass through the doors." Ash goes on. "In return, she told him how happy she was, except for one thing--her husband lay under an evil spell, and it would not be broken until a man who could not die was put to death."

[How's that s'posed to work?] Korra wonders.

"They talked together for a long time, and then Miriam said he had to leave her, as she expected her husband back at any moment, and he might not like him there." Ash explains. "but Gavin assured her not to be afraid, as he had with him a cap which would make him invisible. They were still deep in conversation when the door suddenly opened, and a Talonflame flew in, but he saw nothing unusual, for, at the first noise, Gavin had put on the cap of invisibility. Miriam jumped up and brought a large golden basin, and as soon as the water touched him, he became a handsome man. Turning to his wife, he cried...

"I am sure someone is in the room!" Brock thunders in his "somebody's in trouble" voice.

"Miriam was scared stiff, and explained that she was quite alone, but her husband persisted, and in the end she had to tell him." Ash narrates.

"But if he is really your brother, why did you hide him?" Brock asked in a gentler version of the voice he used. "I would not harm any friends or family of yours, so long as I can see them with my own eyes."

"At this Gavin took off his cap, and stepped forward." Ash continues. "Then the husband saw that he was indeed family as Miriam claimed, and embraced his brother-in-law with delight. Drawing a ruby from his pocket, he said..."

Brock offers Ash a prop ruby. "If you are in danger, only sing, Karuto, iichiida shou... and I will come to your aid." he instructs in character.

"Gavin thanked him and went on his way, and after he had left the castle he invoked the boots again..." Ash then sings Seios, higarima laisido... again. "and came to the place where his middle sister Hailey was living. As before, he found himself at the gates of a huge castle, and within was his second sister, very happy with her husband, who loved her dearly, but longing for the moment when he should be set free from the spell that kept him half his life a Gyarados. When he arrived and had been introduced by his wife to her brother, he welcomed him warmly, and gave him a sapphire, saying...

Brock next offers Ash a prop sapphire. "If you are in danger, call to me, Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... and I will come to your aid."

"Gavin thanked him and took his leave, and when he was outside the gates he invoked the boots..." Ash sings Seios, higarima laisido... again. "and came to the place where his youngest sister Jen lived. It was a dark cavern, with steps of iron leading up to it. Inside she sat, crying, and as she had done nothing else the whole time she had been there, the poor girl had grown very thin. When she saw a man standing before her, she jumped to her feet and exclaimed..."

"Oh, whoever you are, save me and take me from this horrible place!" Melody pleads as Jen. "He told her who he was, and how he had seen her sisters, whose happiness was spoiled by the spell both their husbands were under, and she, in turn, told her story."

Melody pantomimes talking as Ash goes on "She had been carried off in the river by a horrible monster, who wanted to force her to marry him, and had kept her a prisoner all these years because she would not submit to his will. Every day he came to beg her to consent to his wishes, and to remind her that there was no hope of her being set free, as he was the most constant man in the world, and he could never die. At these words Gavin remembered his two enchanted brothers-in-law, and he advised Jen to promise to marry the old man, if he would tell her why he could never die. Suddenly everything began to shake, as if it was shaken by a whirlwind, and the old man entered, and flinging himself at Jen's feet, he said...."

"Are you still determined never to marry me?" Brock sneers in a low, deep voice. "If so you will have to sit there crying till doomsday, for I will always be faithful to my wish to marry you!"

"Well, I will marry you," Melody replies as Jen, "if you will tell me why it is that you can never die."

Brock erupts into one of his villain laughs, a perfect mimic of Ganondorf. "You are thinking how you would be able to kill me?" he sneers in character, making Tarina shudder in fear and delight. "Well, to do that, you would have to find an iron casket which lies at the bottom of the sea, and has a shining Pidove inside, and then you would have to find the egg the Pidove laid, and bring it here, and smash it on the ground."

He snickers as Ganondorf, much to the Pokemon's delight. "Now you will be obliged to marry me, as you know my secret."

"But Jen begged so hard that the wedding be put off for three days, that he consented, and went away rejoicing at his impending victory." Ash continues. "When he had left, Gavin took off the cap of invisibility, and told his sister not to lose heart as he hoped in three days she would be free. Then he put on his boots, and sang Seios, higarima laisido... teleporting him to the seashore. Once there, he took out the sapphire..." He shows the group the prop sapphire from before. "and sang..."

He then sings as Gavin Rou iitsa ron selga vichii..., making the sapphire glow blue.

"...and his brother-in-law swam up, and asked what he could do." Ash explains as he passes the glowing sapphire from hand to hand. "Gavin explained everything, and when he had finished his listener summoned all the fish Pokemon to his presence. The last to arrive was a little Magikarp, who apologized for being so late, but said he had hurt herself by knocking his head against an iron casket that lay in the bottom of the sea. The Gyarados ordered several of the largest and strongest of his subjects to take the Magikarp as a guide, and bring him the iron casket. They soon returned with the box placed across their backs and laid it down before him. Then Gavin produced the key and opened it, and though they were all crowding round, ready to catch it, the shiny Pidove flew away."

[Oh no!] Tarina gasps.

"It was useless to go after it, and for a moment Gavin's heart sank." Ash sighs. "Then he remembered that he had still his ruby, so he took it out..." He shows the group the prop ruby from before. "and sang..."

As Gavin, he sings Karuto, iichiida shou... making the ruby glow red.

As himself, he continues "A mighty rushing wind was heard, and the Talonflame perched on his shoulder, and asked what he could do to help. Gavin told him the whole story, and when he had finished the Talonflame commanded all his subjects to hurry to his presence. In a moment the air was dark with bird Pokemon of all sizes, and at the very last came the Pidove, apologizing for being so late by saying that an old friend had arrived at his nest, and he had been obliged to give him some dinner. The Talonflame ordered some of them to show the young man the Pidove's nest, and when they reached it, there lay the egg which was to break the spell and set them all free. When it was safely in his pocket, he invoked the boots..." He pauses to sing Seios, higarima laisido... "and they carried him straight to the cavern where Jen sat waiting for him."

[And then? And then?] Tarina sparks excitedly.

"Now, it was already far on into the third day, which the old man had fixed for the wedding." Ash reminds Tarina. "and when Gavin reached the cavern with his cap on his head, he found the fiend there, urging Jen to keep her word and let the marriage take place right away. When Gavin gave a signal, she sat down and invited the old fiend to lay his head on her lap. He did so with delight, and Gavin, standing behind her, passed her the egg unseen. She took it, and smashed it on the ground. With a groan that some mistook for the rumblings of an earthquake, he turned over and died."

The Pokemon cheer at the old man's demise. "In a flash of red and blue light, the husbands of the two eldest daughters regained their true forms, and, sending for their mother-in-law, whose sorrow was so unexpectedly turned into joy, they had a great feast, and Jen was rich to the end of her days with the treasures she found in the cave." Ash concludes with a grin.

Misty leads the applause. "You have the villainous laugh down to an art, Brock--you even had ME scared for a second."

"That was one of my tamer ones." Brock replies. "I didn't want to frighten Tarina too much."

"Yeah, save your good ones for when the little ones are in bed." Melody agrees.

Senior Moderator

Finally the tales continue!

Tale 213: The Disguised Girl, part 1 (Brock)

(real tale: The Adventures of Florian)

"Once upon a time, there lived in an old house by the shore of the sea, a widowed noble and his only child, a daughter named Isabel." Brock begins. "They were very poor in spite of their noble birth, so much so that one by one the fields and woods they once owned had been sold just to buy the basic necessities."

Melody gasps at this. "Knowing that once he died, Isabel would be all alone, her father brought her up like a boy." Brock explains. "She could ride a Rapidash as well as any man, she could swim as well a mermaid, and even outdo her father in both fencing...." He draws a prop sword for effect. "and archery." he continues, referring to the bow and quiver of arrows on his back as he sheathes the sword. "Yet so sweet was the gentle nature the girl had inherited from her mother, that this strange upbringing didn't spoil her at all."

"So, did anyone confuse her for a boy?" Misty wondera.

"Late one evening, when the fierce gusts of wind from the sea shook the old house to its very foundations and made the ragged tapestries on the walls flutter like flags, Isabel’s father succumbed to a horrible disease, leaving her only the house, a handful of pennies, and a single gold coin." Brock continues, acknowledging Misty's question with a nod. "The money was enough for a few weeks, but what was Isabel to do when that little pittance was gone? Her father had once told her to go to the king and ask for his protection if she fell on hard times; but the royal city was hundreds of miles away, and Isabel bristled at the thought of begging or what awaited her on the road."

He smiles to reassure his jittery audience. "Finally, Isabel made the brave decision to make her own way in the world. Taking the gold coin with her, she went to a neighboring town, and bought clothes fit for a page or a squire. She then cut her hair into a boy's style, put on the boy’s clothes she had bought, and went into the marketplace in hopes she could find work in the service of some great family."

He then explains to his audience "Now, it was the custom in that land for masters and servants to meet by a certain fountain in the marketplace. The masters that needed a servant would stand on one side of the fountain, and the servants who needed a master stood on the other. When Isabel came to the marketplace, there was no one standing on the masters’ side of the fountain, but on the other side, ready for any master at all, was a small group of fidgety and impatient squires and pages. Isabel, or, as she now called herself, Fiore, strolled over and joined the group, her heart racing with the excitement and possibility of going on a great adventure."

"I bet some king tells her to go slay a Salamence, or something!" Ash muses.

Brock has other ideas. "Suddenly, a black knight, mounted on a black Ponyta and leading another Ponyta by the bridle, clattered over the cobblestones of the square, and taking his place by the fountain, told the pages to come to him. In spite of the horseman’s summons, however, the pages paid no attention to him at all. Curious to know why the group had refused when just minutes earlier they were wanting any master at all, Fiore asked a fellow page, and was told that the knight was none other than the wizard of Black Rock, and no page or squire would enter into his service because his castle was supposedly haunted by goblins, ghosts, and all manner of terrifying monsters."

[Was Isabel-as-Fiore afraid?] a Meowth asks.

"Now, Fiore was no coward, and, as the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers." Brock reminds the audience. "So much to the astonishment of the pages, Fiore walked over to the wizard, and offered to go with him. The knight bade Fiore mount the Ponyta he was holding; and amid the teasing and laughter of the other pages, master and boy rode away."

The tent is silent for a moment before Brock goes on "All day long they rode, and late that afternoon Fiore found himself at the edge of a wild and desolate plain. Within the great circle of the horizon, under the pale sky, not a tree, not a house, not even a shepherd’s hut was to be seen–nothing but the great barren waste rolling, rising and falling as far as the eye could see. The sun sank beneath the trees; it grew cold, and a blue mist fell. Twilight came, a green, mysterious twilight."

He then looks towards the tent's entrance, as if expecting something to appear there. "Suddenly, at the top of a hill off in the distance, Fiore spotted his new home. A great sunken marsh lay before him, beginning at the foot of the hill and stretching mile after mile, till its farther shore was hidden in the gathering darkness. The wind stirred the dead branches at its brim, and though the dying twilight was still gleaming in the sky, the great bog had caught little of its glow, and lay full of coiling blue mists, pale quagmires, and islands of mysterious darkness. A dreadful moaning cry, probably made by some demon or another, sounded through the mist, chilling the blood in Fiore’s veins; and as if answering the cry, millions of will-o’-the-wisps appeared in a rainbow of colors, darting and dancing. In the very heart of this dark marsh a great black rock stood, and on this rock, its turrets and battlements outlined against the burning face of the moon, stood the castle. Ghostly lights, some green, some red, and some blue, flickered in its windows."

"Wow"s and awed whispers fill the tent at the epic description. "The wizard reined up his Ponyta at the brink of the mire, and sang..."

He then sings in an older version of himself Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

As himself, he continues "Hardly had the last note echoed into the sky when the dancing fire spirits hurried toward him from all sides of the marsh. Soon a pale road leading across the bog to the castle appeared, an enchanted road which melted away behind the riders just as smoke melts into the winter air. The wisps escorted the wizard to his castle gate; then, rising swiftly high into the air, they fled into the night. The doors opened on their own, strange goblins and ghostly creatures passed, and bright, whirling globes of fire fled hissing across the castle courtyard. Just as they were about to enter the castle itself, the wizard turned, and looked at Fiore."

“Boy,” he explains as the wizard, “let nothing that you hear or see frighten you. Be assured that no power or spirit here can harm you. There is only one demon in the world whose power is greater than mine, and that is fear itself. Be brave, guard you heart against Fear; be faithful, and you will never have a reason to regret your coming.”

"Oh"s go up at the turn of events--the wizard seems friendly after all! "Fiore, who was by nature brave, was ashamed of having allowed fear into his heart, and vowed never to let his courage fail, no matter what happened." Brock assures his audience, pleased they have put two and two together. "Fiore kept his promise for all the years he served the wizard. At first, he had to struggle to conquer his fear of some of the spirits; but as time passed and no ghost or spirit ever ventured to annoy him, he grew accustomed to their presence by paying no more attention to them than he paid to the great Murkrows who flew croaking over the mire. So faithful and courageous was the little page that, when the year was up, the wizard begged him to stay for another year, promising him rich rewards if he stayed. When the second year was up, however, Fiore longed to see the world again, and told the wizard that he had to go."

“Very well,” he sighs as the wizard. “Do as you will--I will not try to stop you. You are a brave and faithful lad. Here is a purse of gold for your wages, and here are three gifts to reward your courage and kindness.”

He shows the audience a doll of a Shiny Fletchling with outstretched wings, a prop gold key, and a prop crystal. “This little Fletchling,” he explains as the wizard, “will protect you from the spells of any sorcerer whose power is less than mine, and will sing when you are in danger. This key will open any door in the world; and should you ever lose your way, you have but to put this crystal on the ground, and it will fly back here on its own. If you are ever in peril, call me with the spell 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...', and I will come and help you.”

He grins at his friends. "As for what adventures Fiore got into? I will tell you more on my next turn!"

Senior Moderator

Tale 214: An Encounter with Gyarados (Misty)

(real tale: The Serpent's Island)

"Long ago, during a time of peace in a far away land, many explorers journeyed in search of treasures." Misty begins. "Ship captains and sailors returned to their homeland with spices and jewels for the king. They brought stories, too, for the king loved stories of the world beyond his realm and the lessons they taught."

Ash smiles as Misty continues "So one day, a sailor came before the king and told him his tale..."

"Nice, a story in a story...." Brock grins.

"'I sailed from home on a great ship', he said. 'A hundred sailors rowed our ship. Each one was strong and brave, and we rowed for many days. We sailed across the eastern sea, and into the ocean beyond. All was well when suddenly a great storm blew up. The wind thrashed our ship, whipping us toward land, and waves broke over us. Terrified, I grabbed a piece of wood and threw it overboard, and then I threw myself over as well and held onto the wood for dear life. I prayed, and then watched in horror as our ship crashed upon the shore. Tears filled my eyes, but I had no time to mourn, for at that moment another wave rose up and cast me and my plank on the shore.'"

Melody brushes away a tear, "The poor sailor..."

"There I lay upon the sand, panting for breath." Misty continues as the sailor. "With the little strength I had left, I crawled to a grove of trees for shelter, and there I lay, watching the sky turning purple, listening to the howling wind.

The storm raged for two days, but eventually the sun broke through a blanket of clouds. I thanked the Legendaries who saved me. And then, for the first time, I looked around and I saw that I was all alone in a land of plenty. Figy Berries and Grepa Berries grew from the vines and trees, and the ground was thick with herbs and other kinds of berries. When I walked deeper into the thicket I found gardens dense with fruit, and when I walked back to the sea I saw more fish than it is possible to imagine."

"Wow..." Ash gasps as he pictures the island in his mind.

"I was beginning to feel at peace when suddenly I heard a roar like thunder." Misty intones as the sailor. "I threw myself behind the bushes, certain that a tsunami was about to sweep me out to sea again. The trees bent low to the ground. The sky turned dark. The earth trembled.

But then the sound stopped, and again I felt the sun on my shoulders. I opened my eyes and saw an enormous serpent Pokemon with gold whiskers and a body covered with sapphire scales. He was crawling toward me.

The serpent Pokemon slithered closer, reared his head high, and in a grumbling voice asked..."

"What has brought you here, little man?" Brock jumps in the role of the Gyarados.

"The serpent Pokemon reached down and picked me up in his jaws, careful not to harm me." Misty narrates as the sailor. "He carried me to the beach and lay me down before him."

"Speak quickly now," Brock demands as the Gyarados.

I told him I had sailed for a great king." Misty continues as the sailor. "I told him of our ship lost in the storm, and when I had finished, he nodded. He told me Arceus had sent me to this island of the blessed, for that is what he called his island. And then he told me of my future. He said I would remain on his island until four months had passed, and after that a ship would come and carry me to safety. He told me I would die in my own city, that I would rest in the tomb I had prepared.

And now I tell you the most wondrous part of this adventure. The serpent Pokemon brought before me his family, 75 of them in all. Gyarados, they were called? Only one stranger before me had ever come to them, a girl who appeared on the island one day in a cloud of fire. But she showed no kindness to the Gyarados and had no patience. He told me I must have patience and kindness, and that I would be rewarded. The girl without patience had thrown herself into the sea, for she did not trust the Gyarados' word. No one ever saw her again.

I bowed to him, and promised that if all came to pass as he predicted, I would bring his tale to the king and speak of his greatness, and I told him I would send a ship to him filled with the riches of my homeland. He laughed. 'We have all the riches we need here,' he said, and from that day on, he and his family showered me all manner of kindness. I waited patiently and trusted the Gyarados' word, for I knew he spoke with the blessings of Arceus.

Four months after I arrived, a ship appeared on the horizon. I climbed into a tree to see who sailed, and I saw men of this land. I waved farewell to the Gyarados and again promised him riches."

"Return in safety to your home..." Brock fills in the Gyarados' dialogue.

"...was all he said, and he gave me precious gifts of perfume and incense, gold and gems." Misty finishes the sentence in character. "When I climbed aboard the ship, the island seemed to float away from us. Night fell, and when the moon rose, the island was gone, as if it had never existed.

We sailed north toward home for many weeks. Now I have come to you, Your Highness , for I wish to offer you the gifts of the Gyarados. And I want to tell you that the Great Lord Arceus watches over us all."

She concludes "When the sailor finished his tale, the king was so moved that he ordered his chief scribe to write it down for all to read. This is how the story of the shipwrecked sailor and the Gyarados has lasted to this day, though no one has since seen the island."

Senior Moderator

Tale 215: Ofuku and the Demon (Ash)

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 147, story 1)

"Once upon a time, a certain village was struck by a harsh drought." Ash begins. "Many of the crops died, and the villagers feared they would starve that winter. One traveler even feared he would have to sell his daughters into slavery."

Misty swallows hard at this. "As he sat by the road and pondered what to do, he thought he saw a rock in the evening fog." Ash continues. "But when he looked again, it turned out to be a demon sitting on a rock!"

Melody gasps at what the demon will do to the man. "The demon told the man that he knew about the drought, and promised to make it rain in exchange for one of the man's daughters." Ash assures the jittery Meloetta. "Before the man could react, the demon was gone. It started to rain not long after, and the village rejoiced--the rivers and creeks refilled, and the fields were revived. The man called his family together and explained everything. The eldest daughter and the middle daughter refused, but the youngest daughter, whose name was Ofuku, was braver than her sisters, and eagerly volunteered to go with the demon, despite her mother's protests. Besides, she assured her family, she had a plan."

"So what did she do?" Now Brock is interested.

"Sure enough, the demon came on the day the rain stopped." Ash explains. "He took Ofuku, and crossed rolling plains, green valleys, deep forests, and high mountains, unaware that Ofuku was leaving a trail of Berries behind him."

"I see--Ofuku's making a trail to find her way home." Misty predicts.

"Before long, Ofuku arrived at the demon's cave, where she did the demon's laundry, swept the floor, and cooked for him, among other chores." Ash went on, acknowledging Misty's eager prediction with a nod. "Whatever the demon asked her to do, Ofuku did it well."

After a few moments to let the audience process what has happened, Ash continues "A year passed, and one day, Ofuku noticed the Berries she had scattered had taken root and began to grow into trees. She eagerly followed the path home, but it was not long before the demon was on her trail!"

"Oh no!" Melody yelps.

"Ofuku called to her parents to find a holy scroll." Ash explains. "Her mother found one, and heaved it at the demon, making sure to say 'Akuryo taisen!'"

"That means 'evil spirit, begone!', by the way." Brock explains.

"The demon fled in fear of the holy scroll's divine magic, and Ofuku was hailed as a hero." Ash concludes. "Ever since then, on the final day of winter, the people of that village always hung a holy scroll at their doors so the demon would not return."

Senior Moderator

Tale 216: The Disguised Girl, part 2 (Brock)

(real tale: The Adventures of Florian)

"So, what became of our disguised heroine?" Melody asks Brock.

After thinking as to where he is in the tale, Brock continues "Fiore thanked the wizard, and taking his gifts, went back out into the world again. But he was so gentle and kind, he soon gave away everything he had earned, and was forced to go in search of work once again. After some adventures--which are stories in themselves--he entered the service of the king and queen of the Twelve Towers."

He paces the tent as he explains "Now, this royal couple, who were renowned in both the world of mortals and the world of the fey for their goodness and generosity, as well as their wealth and magnificence, had one son, Prince Kiran. No mortal prince could compare. He had driven the Gyarados of the blue cavern out of his father’s kingdom; he had fought three ogres one after the other, and slain each one; he had delivered the diamond castle of a terrible spell--if I were to list all the other feats of bravery he did, we'd be here all day."

Giggles go up at Brock's wry comment. "When Fiore entered the service of the king and queen, they were sending their son on a visit to his uncle, the Emperor of the Plain, and Fiore was ordered to join the company of lords and ladies, knights and soldiers who were to make the journey." Brock continues "According to the rumors he heard, Prince Kiran was being sent to his uncle’s in the hope that he would fall in love with his uncle’s daughter, the beautiful Princess Rosalie."

Interested murmurs go up at this, but Brock has another twist to introduce. "Now, after the company had been on the road for a few days, Prince Kiran, who watched over the company like a captain does over his soldiers, became aware of the bravery, trustworthiness, and modest bearing of Fiore, the little page, and promoted him to be his own personal squire. But no sooner had he been promoted, did Fiore show a glimpse of his true self--the runaway girl, Isabel. Though she fought as hard as she could against her own feelings, it was no use, and she knew herself to be falling in love with Kiran. Yet she kept her feelings to herself, for Prince Kiran thought her only a little page, and to speak would be to betray the secret she had so long and successfully guarded."

"I wonder what will happen when Prince Kiran figures out he's a she." Misty muses.

"One morning, as the caravan was riding through a far country, Fiore--as we must continue to call Isabel for now..." Brock reminds the audience. "was following close behind his master, when the prince spotted a beautiful scarlet lily blooming by the roadside. At the same moment, the little shining Fletchling that Fiore wore round his neck sang a few clear notes as if it were alive."

Ash retrieves his whistle and mimics a Fletchling song with it, to some laughter from the Pokemon. "Just as he was about to pick the flower, Fiore ran on ahead, grabbed the enchanted flower, and tossed it into a ditch. The lords and ladies scolded Fiore, of course, but deep down, he knew he had saved his master's life."

"And then?" Misty asks.

"The company rode on a little more, and the prince spotted a beautiful jeweled dagger lying in the road." Brock replies as Ash readies the whistle to play again. "At the same moment, the little shining Fletchling sang a few clear notes of warning."

The Pokemon laugh as Ash plays the Zelda whistle theme in the style of a bird call. 'Just as the prince went to pick up the dagger, Fiore ran on ahead of him, grabbed the dagger, and tossed it into a ditch. The lords and ladies scolded Fiore again, but deep down, he knew he had saved his master's life."

Nervous giggles go up at what the company would find next. "The company rode on some more, and the prince saw a beautiful enchanted garden at a fork in the road. Birds of many colors sang in the branches of the trees, fountains sparkled and danced in the sunlight, and the sweet music was heard everywhere. At the same moment, the shining Fletchling sang louder and longer than ever."

The tent explodes in bemused laughter as Ash performs a spot on mimic of a Fletchling's warning cry through his fingers. "So Fiore hurried to the prince’s side, and begged him not to enter, saying that the garden was cursed, and who knew what harm would befall him?" Brock intones. "At this, all the lords and ladies, who were a little jealous, that a page knew more than they did, laughed at poor Fiore, and even Kiran smiled at him and said there was nothing to worry about. With that, Prince Kiran led the way through the garden gate. For a minute or so everything seemed normal, and the first to enter teased Fiore again; but when the whole company had entered, there was a clap of thunder..."

Many in the audience jump as Misty rattles a piece of aluminum and "lightning" illuminates Brock's place. "...and everybody except the prince and Fiore, who was protected by the wizard’s charm, was turned to stone." Brock intones. "The echoes of the thunder had barely faded when two demons rushed at them, grabbed the prince, and spirited him away to Arceus-knows-where, leaving Fiore alone in the garden. As if that wasn't enough, night was fast approaching."

[What did Fiore do?] Tarina worries as Ash comforts her.

"Now, the owner of the enchanted garden was a witch, who had a daughter so ugly that even her mother’s dark magic could make her beautiful." Brock explains, acknowledging Tarina with a nod. "In spite of her ugliness, however, the witch’s daughter considered herself quite beautiful, and was always asking her mother to invite to the castle princes she considered worthy of her hand. So the old witch threw all kinds of wonderful dances and parties, to which all the eligible young kings and princes of the neighborhood were invited; but just as soon as the witch’s daughter appeared with a horrid smirk on her ugly face, the young men rode far away in the other direction!"

Laughter fills the air as the audience pictures the guests of a ball fleeing. "Finally the old witch, who had just gotten the riot act from her daughter yet again, couldn't stand her daughter’s scolding any longer, and vowed to catch the first prince who entered her garden, and force him to accept her ugly daughter." Brock continues. "Kiran had walked hook, line, and sinker into her trap, and the witch, hoping to bend him to her will by terrifying him, had thrown him into a deep dungeon. The ugly daughter had immediately peeked through the key-hole of the prison, and fallen in love with Kiran at first sight."

Fearsome murmurs waft through the tent at this. "The witch was considering what to do next, when her demon servants informed her that one of the company had resisted her spell, and was wandering in the garden." Brock continues. "So the witch put on her cloak of invisibility, and going down to the garden, found Fiore wandering under the trees. She saw that it was the shining Fletchling which had protected him from her dark magic; and being afraid of the light magic and yet unable to do the boy any harm while the Fletchling was in his possession, she decided to rid herself of Fiore by transporting her castle, gardens and all, over to the other side of the world. So she cast a spell..."

He pauses to sing in a mimic of Jessie Gran zirtan vin fangan miti...

As himself, he goes on "...and everything disappeared like that." He snaps on the word "that" to emphasize his point. "When Fiore woke up the next morning, and saw that the castle was gone, his heart sank. But he did not despair, but taking from his pocket the crystal which his master the wizard had given him, he put it on the ground, and told it to guide him back to the enchanted garden. The crystal flew on ahead at Fiore’s pace; at night it glowed with a scarlet fire. Day after day, month after month, the crystal flew on; it led Fiore over hill and over dale, through the land of the cyclops, through the mountains of the dwarves, the forests of the elves, the springs of the fey, and the valley of the treants, never stopping until it reached the gate of the witch’s garden."

The tent is quiet, save for the rain outside. "A year, meanwhile, had passed, and during that year the witch had done everything in her power to force Prince Kiran to accept her ugly daughter." Brock explains. "First she had tried scaring him, then she had tried to win his favor by throwing lavish parties, then she had tried scaring him again; but as the prince was unafraid and unswayed, she came to her wits’ end. Finally she told the prince that, if he did not accept her daughter in marriage the very next day, she would turn him into a Buneary and set her Houndours upon him. The prince gave no answer to her threat, so the witch went ahead and made preparations for the grandest of weddings."

He intones "It was on this night, Fiore arrived in the garden."

The Meowths smile with anticipation as Brock goes on "When it was very late, and the moon, which was a quarter full, had disappeared behind the clouds, Fiore crept unobserved to the door of Kiran’s prison-- the witch had locked him up so securely that she had not taken the trouble to find a guard. Prince Kiran was at the top of a high tower, and twenty different doors, each one opened by a different key, stood between him and the ground. Not one to be daunted, and taking the key the wizard had given him, Fiore opened one door after the other till he arrived in Prince Kiran's cell."

The Pokemon whisper excitedly, but Brock lifts a hand to quiet the chatter. "Prince Kiran lay chained on a bed of straw, trying to read a book by candlelight. He was very unhappy, for he would rather be torn in pieces rather than marry the ugly witch maiden."

Brock grins as he savors the audience's enthralled looks, especially the Pokemon. "It goes without saying that he was glad to see Fiore."

“Dear Fiore,” he sighs in a mimic of Ash, “if I had only heeded your warning, none of this would have happened.”

As himself, he goes on "He begged Fiore to tell him where he had been all year. So Fiore told the prince of his adventures--which are stories in themselves."

Nervous giggles go up at this. "Now, the chains binding Prince Kiran had no lock to them, so the magic key was no use." Brock explains "Kiran eventually managed to work them off; but in doing so, he hurt his foot, and found to his dismay that he could only limp along."

Giggles go up as Brock feigns a broken foot to mimic Prince Kiran. "Little by little the fresh air and the stir of leaves heralded the coming of the dawn. Finally, just as the sky started to lighten, Kiran and Fiore hurried out of the prison through the twenty doors, and fled to the road. But they had traveled only a few miles, when the witch discovered Kiran had escaped, and in a fit of rage, commanded that her Hydreigons be roused and her coach prepared so she could chase him. So the coach was brought forth, and off the witch and her Hydreigons went into the sky. Hearing the hissing and roaring of the Hydreigons in the air, Fiore and Kiran tried to hide under some trees; but the witch saw them, and cast a spell to turn them into Bunearies."

He sings as Jessie again Gran zirtan vin fangan miti...

As himself, he intones "But though the hate of the witch was strong, the woman’s heart in Isabel was stronger, and deciding to sacrifice herself for the one she loved, she threw the chain and the Shining Fletchling over the prince’s head. And a few seconds later, she had turned into a little Buneary crouching at Kiran’s feet."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" Ash cries.

"At the same moment, the cruel witch, who had arrived at her castle, let loose her pack of Houndooms, who soon took up the trail of the Buneary and came bounding toward her in all their firey fury." Brock intones. "Prince Kiran picked up the Buneary and limped forward as fast as he could go, never mind the pain it caused him; but the Houndooms were running a hundred times faster than he. Luckily, just as the leader of the pack was about fifty feet away, Isabel remembered the promise which the wizard had made to her, and called upon him."

He sings as May Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

As himself, he continues "...and in a flash of light, an invisible wall, as high as a castle tower, shot up from the ground behind Isabel and the prince; and the pack, hurrying forward, found themselves deprived of their prey. Snarling and howling, they threw themselves against the magic wall; but to no avail. In another flash of light, the wizard himself stood before them, and laying his hands on the Buneary..."

He pauses to sing as the wizard Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

As himself, he continues "...he restored Isabel to her true form. She still wore Fiore's clothes, however, and the prince still thought she was a boy."

But Brock isn't done yet. "Suddenly a shadow fell on the ground near them, and looking up, all of them beheld the wicked witch and her ugly daughter, who had ridden out in the dragon coach to enjoy Kiran’s cruel death. The wizard immediately caused the dragon coach to vanish, and the witch and her daughter fell tumbling through the air into a pond, and were turned into ugly little Feebases. Then the wizard carried Kiran and Fiore back to the witch’s castle, where they found the tables spread and the dinner being prepared which was to celebrate the wedding of Kiran and the witch’s daughter. Finally, he released Kiran’s company from the witch’s spell."

Cheers go up at the witch's demise. "Now, one of the ladies, when she heard how the witch had tried to match Kiran with her daughter, and saw the preparations for the wedding, told the prince that it was a pity that Princess Rosalie wasn't there, so that there would be a wedding after all." Brock continues.

“A wedding? No,” he explains as Kiran, “Not until I have found a wife who has proved herself as faithful and true as little Fiore.”

“She is already here,” he intones as the wizard. before singing as the wizard again Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

"Immediately there was a flash of red light and fire, and out of it, Fiore no more, but her true self, appeared Isabel." Brock announces to wild cheers. "Her hair had grown long again, and the wizard had clothed her in a magnificent gown. Never was there a lovelier girl to be seen in the world."

He grins. "I don't need to tell you that Prince Kiran claimed her as his bride."

He concludes "Prince Kiran's parents, who had been summoned by the wizard, arrived, and there was a wedding after all. When the festivities were over, the wizard returned to his castle on the Black Rock, while Kiran and Isabel returned to their own country, and lived there happily for many years."

"Wow!" Ash gasps as he applauds. He looks over at Misty "The piece of aluminum was a nice touch."

"Aw, it was nothing!" Misty assures him as Melody puts away the flashlight she used for the "lightning".

Senior Moderator

Tale 217: The Language of Pokemon (Misty)

(real tale: The Wise Princess)

"Once upon a time a king had one daughter whose name was Marla." Misty begins. "He wished her to be the wisest woman in the world, and so he sent far and wide for the finest scholars. Teachers came from everywhere. Daily they taught Marla all they knew, such as math, science, literature, history, and the arts."

"Wow..." Ash sighs dreamily as he imagines what Princess Marla looks like.

"Marla loved learning, and most of all, she loved the many languages of the world." Misty goes on. "In addition to her native tongue and English, she learned Greek, Spanish, French and Japanese. She also learned Portuguese, Latin, German, Chinese, and even a few mystical tongues. Before long, Marla knew more than all her teachers combined. She could speak to every visitor in his own language."

"COOL!!!" Brock is especially impressed.

"The king soon understood that Marla must find a husband who was as wise as she was." Misty explains. "He sent out a proclamation: 'Princess Marla will marry the man who can speak a language she does not know. Beware, suitors: Anyone who dares to seek the hand of the princess but cannot speak a new tongue will be thrown into the wintry sea.'"

Melody swallows hard as Misty continues "Princes and dukes, knights and lords heard the proclamation and sighed. They shook their heads and grumbled among themselves. "No one knows as many languages as the princess," they all agreed. And so no one came to seek Marla's hand in marriage."

"I don't think gibberish counts as a new language..." Ash agrees.

"Marla grew lonely and sad." Misty adds before assuming the role of her heroine. "Father, will no one marry me?" she asks Brock, in the role of the king.

Brock takes Misty's hands in his. "I fear that may be true, my child," he sighs as the king. "There seems to be no man wise enough for you."

"Meanwhile, outside the palace, a young shepherd carrying a leather satchel on his back appeared at the gates." Misty narrates.

"I am Martin," Ash jumps in the shepherd's role. "I have come to seek the hand of the wise princess Marla."

"Run to your flocks, boy." Brock jeers as a guard. "You are a simple shepherd. You could never hope to win so marvelous a woman. Run before the king throws you into the sea."

"Open the gates," Ash retorts. "I can speak many languages the princess has never heard before."

"Give up, boy," Brock shoots back.

"I will not," Ash proudly replies in character.

Misty stiffles a giggle at how well the boys are getting into their roles. "And so at last the guards led Martin to the king's throne room. There the lovely princess sat beside her father. When she saw the lad, she smiled, for she liked the gleam in his eye."

"Your majesty," Brock announces, "this lad has come to woo your daughter." He makes a grand gesture to Ash for effect.

"Father," Misty whispers in character to an imagined person. "Please don't harm him. He seems kind, and so very brave."

Brock, now back in the role of the king, frowns at Ash. "If you dare fail to speak an unknown language, son, do you know what will happen to you?"

"I do," Ash replies. "And I am not afraid of the sea. Besides, I believe you will find that your daughter does not know all there is to know."

Brock shrugs. "Speak your language, then," he sighs, a note of frustration in his "king" voice.

Ash, meanwhile, walks to Misty's side. "Beautiful princess, listen closely." he instructs as he pulls out a pantomime object from his own bag.

"He reached into his satchel and pulled out a tiny Taillow. 'Biyo-biyo,' the Taillow chirped." Misty narrates as herself.

"Do you understand?" Ash asks in character. When Misty shakes her head no, he balks. "But princess, "you claim to understand all languages. The Taillow asks if he can sit upon your shoulder."

"He let go of the Taillow and whispered, 'Tsiii, tsii,' and the Taillow flew to Princess Marla and landed on her shoulder." Misty continues as herself.

"Wait!" Ash interjects in character, raising his hand.

"He again reached into his satchel and pulled out a shiny Murkrow." Misty narrates as herself. "'Ah-eh-oh,' the Murkrow cried."

"You understood, of course?" Ash asks in character.

"No," Misty softly replies in character.

"He wants his freedom," Ash explains as Martin.

"...and he walked to the door and opened it. 'Kaa-kaa,' he cried. When the Murkrow heard these words, he flew out the door to his freedom." Misty narrates.

"How do you know what they say?" she gasps as Princess Marla.

"I have spent my days in the forest, listening carefully. I can speak the language of Pokemon. If you marry me, I will teach you, for there are many languages even the greatest scholars do not know." Ash explains as Martin.

"I thought you were the smartest person in the world!" Brock protests as the king. "How can you let a lowly shepherd make a fool of you?"

"Sire, your daughter is wise beyond words," Ash assures Brock in character. "for only the wise can admit that they do not know everything."

Misty concludes as herself "Marla was so pleased with Martin's understanding that she begged her father to allow her to marry him. Martin and Marla were married, and lived happily ever after, always surrounded by the bird and beast Pokemon, always seeking wisdom, always wise enough to know that they could always learn more."

Melody leads the applause. "Well done! I wasn't expecting that to become a full dramatic production!"

Senior Moderator

Tale 218: The Legend of the Pokeflute and the Whistle (Ash)

(real tale: The Woodpecker and the Flute)

(what Ash performs at the end: The North Wind/The Thunderbolt Reel)

"Once upon a time, long, long ago, a young hunter went out to hunt for food to help feed his people." Ash begins. "As he was following the tracks of a Sawsbuck, he had two thoughts on his mind. The Sawsbuck would feed his people, true. But his other thought was about a young maiden who would not pay attention to him, no matter how many times he confessed his love for her."

Once sure his Pokeflute is where he can find it, Ash goes on "He hunted for many hours, and his prey managed to elude him, but he continued to follow the Sawsbuck's tracks deeper into the forest. As the light began to fade, he noticed that the Sawsbuck's tracks disappeared, and he knew he could no longer find his way home. He would have to sleep in the forest that night."

[So what did he do?] Tarina asks, worried for the hunter.

"So he settled down, rolling out his robe and wrapping himself inside it not unlike a sleeping bag." Ash explains. "He closed his eyes and tried to sleep, but the forest was a sea of strange sounds. He heard the howling of Mightyenas, the hooting of Noctowls, the scratching of Pikachus burrowing, the rustling of leaves in the nighttime wind. Every sound aroused his senses, and he could not fall asleep."

He retrieves his Pokeflute as he continues "With his eyes wide open, he stared into the dark forest, wondering how he would survive the night. Suddenly he heard a sound like nothing he had ever heard before."

With that, he plays a few bars of the air "The North Wind" for effect. "He cocked his head to one side. The sound was beautiful, mournful, haunting. It was a sound he could not describe or explain, but it lulled him into a comforting sleep, and while he slept, he dreamed."

"What did he dream about?" Misty wonders, intrigued.

"The hunter dreamed of Suicune, the Beast of the North Wind." Ash replies. "In his dream Suicune appeared and sang the beautiful song the hunter had heard in the forest. 'Follow me,' Suicune said in the dream. 'Follow me, and I will show you how to sing this song.'"

Everyone waits to hear what happens next. "The next morning, the hunter woke up and was startled to see Suicune before him." Ash goes on. "The hunter and the Beast looked into each other's eyes for a moment, and then the Beast ran by another tree, one not far away. The hunter hesitantly stood up. Suicune ran to the next tree, and so the hunter began to follow him, remembering the words from his dream: 'Follow me, and I will show you how to sing this song.'"

He pauses for a moment, then continues "After a while, Suicune stopped, pointing out the highest branch of a cedar tree. When the hunter looked closely at the branch, he saw that bug Pokemon had hollowed out holes in it. He didn't know how or why Suicune had led him to this hole filled branch, but he knew, somehow, that he would learn something."

A wind gust bursts againt the tent, but Ash continues "Then the wind picked up as Suicune watched, and as it did, it blew hard against the tree, and the hunter heard the song again, but now he saw that it came from the branch--and when the leaves covered the holes in the branch as they were blown about in the wind, different notes were made."

[Just like a Pokeflute!] Tarina guesses.

"'Let me take this branch home,' the hunter asked, and Suicune conjured a wind gust just hard enough to make the branch fall to the ground at the hunter's feet." Ash continues, pleased Tarina has guessed what his tale is about. "He picked it up and hurried back to his village, carrying the branch as if he had found gold."

"So, how did his friends and family react to the song of the wind?" Brock wonders.

"When he returned home, his family was disappointed to see he had brought them no food, but the hunter said, 'I bring something much better.'" Ash explains. "He took the branch into his house and tried to make the branch sing. He waved it in the air like a sword..."

"Giggles fill the air as Ash does this to his own instrument. "He took it outside and held it skyward, letting the wind blow past it. But the branch would not sing for him."

He intones "That night the hunter fell asleep holding the branch. Again Suicune came to him in his dreams. 'Watch me play the branch,' Suicune said, and he transformed into a man. Then he took the branch from the hunter's hand and carved the top into a mouthpiece...." He refers to the mouthpiece of his own instrument. "He painted the branch with ivy and leaf inlays..." He refers to the diamond inlays on his own instrument. "...and he showed the hunter how to finger the holes. Then he blew into the mouthpiece, and once again the hunter heard the beautiful, melancholy song."

He plays the same phrase from "The North Wind" again. "When the hunter woke up, he saw that the branch had been transformed into the instrument Suicune had made--the first Pokeflute. He took it in his hand and stepped outside into the morning light. He fingered the holes and blew into the mouthpiece, just as Suicune had shown him in his dream. And when he did, the song rose up beside his house, and all the villagers heard the song and came running toward him, amazed in what they heard."

He smiles. "The young woman the hunter loved came, too. She listened to his song and then stepped closer. 'I love your song,' she said, and before they knew it, they were falling in love."

"Aw..." Brock grins as he eases a drum closer to him.

"Ever since then, the people of the world have made Pokeflutes and their smaller cousins the whistles, and have played all manner of songs on them." Ash concludes. "...and we continue to make and play them ourselves today, in honor of Suicune."

With that, he plays the excerpt from "The North Wind" again, only this time transitioning into "The Thunderbolt Reel" as Brock keeps the beat...