Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

A Threesome's Tales

The Kanto Trio

in

"A Threesome's Tales"

Tale 1: The Trickster King (Ash)

(real tale: The Clever King)

"Here we are, gang!" a red haired girl smiled as she led her companions into the park. "A whole week of swimming, fishing, hiking, and generally enjoying the wonders of nature!"

"Let's not forget sharing songs and stories around the campfire!" a black haired boy agreed before some crunching in his bag got his attention. "Pikachu, you weren't supposed to get into the chocolate bars yet." he sighed when he found the small electric mouse happily munching on a chocolate bar.

"What happened?" an older boy with brown hair and tan skin asked as he began pitching his tent on near the center of the camp site.

"Pikachu found the chocolate bars we were going to use for s'mores, Brock." the boy explained.

Brock stooped down to Pikachu's eye level. "How many of those did you eat?" he asked.

"Pika pi." Pikachu replied, holding up the single bar's wrapper as proof.

"Okay, you can have that one, seeing as you're half done with it." Brock warned before getting up. "But no more until tonight, okay?"

"Pika." Pikachu replied.

The girl, meanwhile, studied a piece of paper. "Let's make sure we didn't forget anything...tents?"

"Check!" Brock reported before entering his tent.

"Food, check." the girl mused as a small pink humanoid brought her a bag of food.

Brock smiled at the humanoid. "Thank you for helping Misty with the food, Happini."

"Pini pi." Happini replied before running out to assist someone else.

"I have cooking supplies, first aid, and my guitar." Brock reported as he brought over a cooler. "Ash should have the s'mores ingredients...."

"I also brought more food, some games and toys, and fishing gear." Ash added before shooing Pikachu from his bag and pitching his own tent. "And I didn't forget the whistles and my Pokeflute either!"

"Great!" Misty smiled. "As for me, I brought some more games, first aid supplies, a park guidebook, and my fiddle for jamming around the campfire.

"That's everything, at least for me!" Ash smiled. "This'll be the best campout ever!"

That night...

The mood was festive around the campsite that night as the three friends celebrated being together for the first time in a while. Brock had made his special chili to complement the hamburgers and hot dogs, with s'mores for dessert. Once the meal was finished, music--both played and sung--filled the air.

The set list was endless as ancient songs from long ago rolled into beloved melodies from the 50's, 60's and 70's, only to be followed by spirited dance tunes, which led into haunting solos. Then the voices would return, and the cycle would begin anew.

It was when Ash concluded his rendition of "Traveler Among the Stars" that the first story of many was told. "There was once a boy who lived with his sister. While she did most of the chores, the boy--I'm gonna call him Todd--was well known for playing tricks, but not much else."

"So, did his sister tell him to go seek his fortune, or what?" Misty asked, fascinated.

"She told him to go seek his fortune, and the first place Todd went was the royal palace." Ash continued as he set his Pokeflute by a rock. "Now, the king of the land was very vain, and believed he was the very best at everything."

"Now who does that sound like?" Misty gave Brock a sly smile.

"Ash may be a great trainer and musician, and not too shabby a storyteller, but I don't know if he's the best at everything..." Brock mused.

Ash ignored his friends' commentary and continued his tale. "When the king saw Todd outside the royal palace, he challenged Todd to try and trick him. Todd told the king he'd left his bag of tricks at home, and it was too far away to walk all the way back there."

Pikachu, Azurill, and Happini laugh at this. "So the king gave Todd a Ponyta, but as soon as Todd got to town, he sold the Ponyta." Ash continues. "Understandably, the king was mad when he found he had been tricked."

"And then?" Brock asks, interested.

"However, Todd was prepared for this sort of situation--he first boiled a pot of water, and when he heard the king and his men coming, he set the pot on the floor, and started stirring vegetables." Ash explains. "The king wondered why a cooking pot was on the floor, and Todd said it was a magic pot. The king immediately offered to buy it, but Todd said it was not for sale. The king kept offering more and more gold, until Todd finally relented. The king threw a big party that night, and filled the pot with water, meat, and vegetables. But when the royal cook stirred it, the pot didn't boil. Everyone howled with laughter when they saw the king had been had."

Everyone laughs as they picture the king's reaction. "This is too funny!" Misty comments as she wipes away a tear of laughter.

"Keep it up, Ash--you're doing great!" Brock agrees.

"Pini pi?" Happini asks.

"Todd was taken to the palace and sealed in a barrel." Ash explains. "The barrel was taken to a high cliff, where it would roll into the sea in three days." He pauses his story to retrieve a whistle from his bag. "What the king didn't know was that Todd had a whistle with him in the barrel, and he spent the next two days playing any and every dance tune he knew."

Misty leads the clapping as Ash plays a set of tunes for effect. "The music attracted a rich miser, and asked Todd what he was doing in the barrel." Ash continues. "Todd explained that the king was sending him on a grand journey to the heavens. The rich miser was intrigued at what the heavens were like, and paid Todd a thousand gold pieces to take his place. Todd then went out and bought all manner of fancy clothes, jewels, and other finery."

"Pika?" Pikachu asks, stifling a giggle at the king's likely reaction.

"The king nearly did a double take when he saw Todd all dressed up, and wondered how in the world he survived being thrown into the sea." Ash replies. "Todd explained that he had met Manaphy, the Prince of the Sea, and received all his finery as a gift. The king was enamored at Todd's stories of the undersea kingdom, Manaphy's palace, which gleamed with gold, silver, and jewels, and how generous Manaphy was. So the king sealed himself in a barrel, and it went rolling into the sea."

Brock's laughter is the loudest as Ash concludes. "Todd was then crowned the new king, and invited his sister to serve on his court. He ruled for many years with a kind and just hand, and the people of that land remember him as the trickster king."

"Bravo!" Misty led the applause.

"I have trained you well as a storyteller, Ash." Brock smiled. "Keep practicing, though!"

"Well, now that we've heard your apprentice tell, why don't we hear from the master?" Misty suggested, her eyes shining with excitement at what sort of story Brock would tell...

Senior Moderator

Tale 2: The Gold Berries (Brock)

(real tale: Gourds of Gold)

"Once a man--we'll call him Kosei--was coming home from the market when thieves ambushed him and stole the food and Pokemon he had just bought." Brock begins. Misty gasps in horror, but Brock quickly assures her "Although he was quite battered, Kosei didn't despair--he knew that Arceus would give the thieves their just desserts."

"You know what they say--what goes around, comes around." Ash agrees as he adds a log to the campfire.

"Usually a little too quickly." Misty whispers. She and Ash giggle in agreement.

Brock just ignores the whispering. "When Kosei got home, he learned that many of the townsfolk had been robbed in that place. The trees and brush grew large and thick, making it the perfect spot for a thief to hide. But Kosei declared that he had a plan to catch the thieves." he quickly notes.

"Pika pikachu?" Pikachu asks.

"The other townsfolk, however, were concerned--these thieves were strong and too fast for anyone to catch." Brock tells Pikachu. "But Kosei was quick to point out that they were greedy too--and that was how he would catch them."

"If only we could catch Team Rocket like that..." Misty muses.

"So, what was Kosei's big plan?" Ash wonders

"First, Kosei bought two Deerlings and took them home." Brock explains. "Then, he returned to the place where he had been robbed, where an Aspear tree stood. He then hollowed out two of the biggest Berries on the tree and filled them full of coins. When Kosei's wife--we'll call her Saiban--heard about her husband's plan, she wanted to help out as well. They sacrificed one of their Tauros to Arceus for good luck, and Kosei concealed a skin filled with Tauros blood inside Saiban's clothing."

"And then?" Misty wasn't so sure Kosei's plan would work.

"Kosei then asked his friends to prepare a cot by the Aspear tree." Brock continues. "While his friends thought Kosei was nuts at first, they prepared the cot anyway, figuring it was a part of Kosei's plan."

"Pini?" Happini asks.

"Kosei laid on the cot and pretended to doze." Brock replies "Sure enough, the thieves returned, and asked him what he was doing in the road."

In character as an older man, he intones "I'm guarding our Aspear trees."

As himself, he continues "The thieves laughed at this--why would you need to guard a Berry tree? But Kosei gave the thieves the coin filled Berries, and no sooner had they cut them open, did coins spill everywhere!"

"I bet they were shocked!" Ash muses. A grin forms on his face as he pictures the thieves' reaction.

"Oh they were." Brock replies. "The thieves offered Kosei gold and jewels in return for what they thought was a magic tree. It was only when they offered the items that they had stolen earlier that Kosei finally relented."

Giggles fill the air at this. "It didn't take long for the thieves to find out they'd been had--they hurried to catch up with Kosei and demanded the food and Pokemon back." Brock continues. "Kosei agreed, but as it was almost dinner time, he invited the thieves to join him for dinner. He then told the Deerling at his side to tell Saiban that they had guests. When he turned the Deerling loose, it ran straight into the woods."

More laughter goes up at this. "Kosei led the thieves to his house, where Saiban and the other Deerling were waiting." Brock continues. "But before they could say anything about the seemingly magical Deerling, Kosei took a knife and stabbed at the spot where the skin of Tauros blood was, making Saiban appear to die as the thieves watched in horror."

Misty gasps at this. "Azu azu?" Azurill asks.

"No, Saiban only pretended to die." Ash assures all three Pokemon. "That's what the skin of Tauros blood was for."

"But then, Kosei took a stick..." Brock pauses to pick up a stick of his own. "and waved it over Saiban's 'dead' body as he appeared to cast a spell." He proceeds to wave the stick over the imagined body as he sings Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...

Sighs of relief fill the air as Brock continues "The thieves were stunned when Saiban seemingly came back to life, and immediately offered a thousand gold pieces for the Deerling and the stick."

He concludes "The thieves didn't know that Kosei had asked some of the royal guard to capture the thieves, and no sooner had the thieves started down the road with the stick and the Deerling, were they promptly arrested. Kosei and Saiban were hailed as heroes, and no one in that region was bothered by thieves for some time!"

"Bravo!" Ash leads the applause.

"Nothing less from a master!" Misty agrees.

"Ash and I have each told our first tale of the night, now it's your turn." Brock tells Misty.

Misty swallows hard at this--her only experience with stories is reading out of a book to Azurill. "I may not be the best storyteller, but I can try."

"That's the spirit!" Ash smiles. He watched as Misty took a few deep breaths to clear her mind and calm her nerves...

Senior Moderator

Tale 3: The Great Feast (Misty)

(real tale: The Vizir's Feast)

Misty's mind raced as she racked her brain for a tale to tell the boys. I've never really told a story from memory before, so what's an easy one for me to remember that the boys would love?

The chili pot hanging over the campfire gave her an idea. "In a far away land, the people could not stop complaining about their vizirs."

"Azu?" Azurill asks.

"That's what an official is called in some lands." Brock explains.

"As I was saying, the people of this land could not stop talking about their vizirs." Misty continued, trying oh-so-hard to ease the Beautiflies in her stomach. "The reason? They argued over anything and everything, and once they started arguing, it was anyone's guess as to when they would stop."

"Mm-hm..." Brock nods. "Go on..."

"Now, the vizirs knew what the people were saying, and they took it upon themselves to show their people they could conduct affairs in a civil manner." Misty continues. "So one day, they went into town, making small talk amongst themselves and saying hello to all they met."

"And then?" Ash is interested--he's never seen Misty play the role of storyteller before.

"Suddenly, they found a rare black pearl embedded in the sandy road." Misty continued. "Their first thought was to debate what to do with it, but they remembered their promise to conduct affairs civilly. They decided to hold a great feast in honor of their friendship."

"Pika pi?" Pikachu asks.

"So the ten vizirs all went down to the food shop and used the black pearl to buy enough food for the whole city to be fed for a week and still have leftovers." Misty explained. "There were potstickers, and puddings, meats both from the land and the sea, vegetables of all kinds, nuts, Berries, and a bewildering array of desserts."

Pikachu notices Ash is drooling at the thought of eating all the food Misty described, and gives him a gentle shock as a reminder to pay attention. "Just hearing about all that made me hungry too." Brock smiles as he helps himself to another hot dog. "And then?"

"Just before the vizirs could sit down to their massive meal, the ninth vizir saw that the palace gate was open." Misty continued. "He told the sixth to shut it, but he believed the first vizir should shut it. The first told the eighth, the eighth asked the fourth, and before long, all ten vizirs were fighting over who should shut the gate."

"So, who broke it up? They have truckloads of food waiting..." Ash wondered as he retrieved a soda from the cooler.

"The tenth vizir finally broke it up by saying the next person to say anything or stand up would close the gate." Misty replies. "So the ten vizirs began to eat, not saying a word to each other or getting up for seconds."

Brock chuckles as he pictures what the vizirs will fight over next. Ash just sighed dreamily at the scene of the ten vizirs eating enough food to feed Pallet Town for a year.

"The open gate lured hundreds of Pokemon into the palace." Misty continued. "and they wasted no time in devouring all the meat. When every piece of chicken, beef, and fish was gone, they moved on to the vegetables, fruits, cheeses and desserts. But the vizirs just sat there, oblivious to the Pokemon eating their food."

Brock stifles a chuckle at the imagined chaos. "Just then, a Growlithe mistook the tenth vizir's lip for a piece of meat, and bit down hard!"

Ash spits out his drink, and Brock and the Pokemon howl with laughter at this. "When the others told him he had to shut the gate, they looked around and realized the food was gone, and there was now no point in closing the gate." Misty concluded. "They went their separate ways, not wanting to argue about the matter any more...at least until the next day!"

Brock leads the applause. "Not bad for someone who's never had a lesson!"

"Oh, that was so funny!" Ash agrees as he applauds.

"I just made that one up, but I know a few my sisters once told me too." Misty assures the boys. Come to think of it, this storytelling thing isn't so bad!
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 05-23-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Moderator

Tale 4: Beautifly's Wedding (Ash)

(real tale: The Butterfly's Wedding)

"Hey, Brock?" Ash asked. "May I try performing that story May gave me the bones to on her last visit?"

"Sure." Brock replied. "If you feel confident enough to perform it in front of Misty and me, go for it."

Ash took a deep breath to calm his nerves, then began. "Once upon a time, a Beautifly flew across the skies, and everywhere she went, every Pokemon looked up at her--not only was she physically beautiful, but she had a beautiful heart as well. She was kind, gentle, and never interfered with anyone nor demanded anything from them."

"Not bad on the beginning, but you're rushing a little." Brock interrupts. "Speak slowly and clearly so we can understand you."

Ash nods, and continues his tale. "On this particular day, the Beautifly--let's call her Mariposa--was looking for a mate. She wanted to raise some Wurmples, who would eventually become more Beautiflies. Ho'oh met Mariposa as she began her daily flight across the sky, and wished her well on her quest."

"Azu azu ri?" Azurill asks.

"Mariposa landed on an aster, and as she sipped at the aster's nectar, the aster couldn't help but smile. 'You are sweet, like me...Mariposa, will you marry me'? Mariposa blushed and replied 'Love you as I do, you're not the one for me.' Ash continues, making sure he is not speaking too quickly. "As Mariposa flew over the world, hundreds of Pokemon begged her to marry them. Mariposa loved them too, but she knew in her heart all her would be suitors were not the perfect mate."

"So did Mariposa ever find a perfect mate?" Misty wonders.

"One day, Mariposa met a male Beautifly--we'll call him Osumare--and the two fell wings over heels in love with each other." Ash continues. "The wedding was a grand affair--Pikachus, Spinaraks, Mareeps, Persians, even Shaymin--they and many more Pokemon came to wish the two Beautiflies well. Of course, every guest brought flowers, so the nectar flowed freely."

"Aw..." Brock sighs dreamily.

"A few weeks later, Mariposa asked Osumare to bring her some water." Ash continues. "As Osumare flew down by the riverbank, he lost his balance and fell into the water. A Magikarp was quick to swallow him!"

"Oh no!" Misty gasps, fearful for the two Beautiflies.

"A Yanma saw the whole thing, and relayed the terrible news to Mariposa." Ash then notices Brock bringing his hands together--his signal to slow down. "Mariposa burst into tears, but the other Pokemon did what they could to help."

"Pika?" Pikachu is interested.

"The Ledybas scoured the river, the Lotads searched the lilypads, and the Pidgeottos flew low, looking for the Magikarp." Ash explains to his audience and Pikachu. "The Duckletts went nuts, so the noise awakened the wisps of the forest, who began glittering wildly. But the Deerlings thought everyone was making a big fuss over nothing, so they started laughing. The laughter prompted the Magikarp to surface and open his mouth, allowing Osumare to fly out, unharmed."

Misty heaves a sigh of relief as Ash concludes "Mariposa was elated Osumare was all right. She laid many eggs that year, which hatched into Wurmples, who in turn became more Beautiflies, beginning the cycle anew."

Brock leads the applause. "Very good! Just be careful not to rush while you're telling--we can't understand you if you're going a hundred miles an hour."

Ash sweatdrops. "I need to work on not talking too fast...."

"Well, if it helps, I want you to watch how I speak clearly and pace myself in this next tale..." Brock suggests as Happini adds a stick to the fire....

Senior Moderator

Tale 5: The Haunted Pond (Brock)

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 18, story 2)

"Just a word of warning--this tale might be a little scary." Brock cautions.

"Oh, a ghost story!" Misty gasps with excitement--usually Brock only tells ghost stories around Halloween.

"Bring it on!" Ash demands.

Brock just smiles at his friends' bravery. "In a certain land, there stood a pond that brimmed with Goldeens." He then catches himself. "Actually, the Goldeens only came out at night--any would-be angler that went fishing during the day wouldn't get a single bite!"

"That IS odd..." Misty notes--usually Goldeens stayed out at all hours of the day and night.

"If anyone tried to leave the pond with their catch, they would hear a ghostly voice saying..." Brock then switches to one of his go to "spooky" voices. "Leave it there...leave it there..."

Ash swallows hard. "W-was it really a ghost?"

"Just listen and you'll find out." Misty assured him.

"Because of this, no one wanted to fish there." Brock explains. "So one day, a brave man in the nearby town--we'll call him Kane--decided to fish in the haunted pond. His wife and the townsfolk tried to talk him out of it, but Kane wouldn't take no for an answer."

Misty nervously giggles at this. "Kane went to the pond, and didn't get a bite all day." Brock continues. "But when night fell, the Goldeen were biting like no tomorrow!"

"I bet he caught a zillion!" Ash smiles.

"He caught enough to fill two buckets before calling it a day." Brock replies. "As he departed with his catch, he heard the ghostly voice in the distance." In his "ghostly" persona again, he intones "Leave it there...leave it there..." As himself, he continues "But Kane paid the voice no mind and continued home."

"A-and then?" Even Misty is worried for Kane's fate.

"Kane passed by a willow tree, where a girl in a blue robe and glowing veil was resting." Brock continues. "She noticed the Goldeens Kane carried and asked him..." In character as a girl, he asks "Those Goldeens you have look tasty...won't you share with a poor traveler?"

"I caught these fair and square!" he retorts as a young man. "They will be my dinner tonight!"

Misty and Ash laugh at this. "Despite the girl's pleas, Kane refused to part with his Goldeens. But when he lifted the girl's veil to directly refuse her, he was shocked to discover she had no face!"

"AUGH!!!" Ash yelps, much to Misty's and Azurill's delight.

"Pika pika pikachu, Pikapi." Pikachu assures his master, but Ash is shaking in fear.

Brock is unfazed. "Kane ran home as fast as he could, with a death grip on his Goldeens all the while. When he got home, he told his wife what had happened as he roasted one Goldeen over the fire. But when he got to the part about his encounter with the faceless girl, the lights went out."

"Uh oh..." Misty eagerly smiles as she waits to hear what happens next. Ash, meanwhile, clings to Misty in fear.

"He suddenly heard a voice say..." In character as a girl, Brock asks "One taste?" He continues as himself. "When Kane looked to see who was in the room, he saw the faceless girl!"

"Not so hard, Mr. Scaredy-meowth..." Misty grumbles as Ash grips her back even tighter in fear.

"In his rush to get away from the faceless girl, Kane left his Goldeens and his rod behind." Brock concludes. "They say he didn't go fishing for a long time after that!"

"Now, see? Kane lived." Misty assures Ash as she peels him off of her. "For my next tale of the night, I'll tell something to calm Mr. Scaredy-meowth down...." Ash just blushes as the Pokemon laugh....

Senior Moderator

Tale 6: The Celestial Harp (Misty)

Let's see, a story that won't scare Ash... Misty thinks for a moment as to what sort of story her sisters have told her that the boys would like.

"Azu azu ri rill?" Azurill asks.

"Well, some of them I read in books, and some of them I learned on my travels." Brock replies.

"You know, in olden times, wandering minstrels would sing songs and tell stories for people--because back then, songs and stories were not written down." Ash explains. "So sometimes, when Brock is telling stories on a stage, he will portray this kind of character."

"Azu..." Azurill gets stars in her eyes.

"They typically used an instrument similar to a guitar called a lute..." Brock adds before edging a smaller case to him, opening it, and taking a small silver crescent-shaped harp from inside. "Or one of these."

"Pika..." Pikachu gasps as he admires the gold inlays and sapphires decorating the harp.

Brock tuning the harp gives Misty an idea. "Say...you think you could play a little while I try out this original story?"

"Sure--I'll play when you tell me someone plays a harp." Brock replies.

Misty just begins her story. "Once upon a time, in a fair away land, there lived a king and queen. They had a son--I'll call him Alex--who dreamed of being a great hero like the minstrels sang about." Brock adds a soft chord on the harp for effect. "When Alex was old enough to choose a bride, he asked his father the king where the most beautiful princess in the world lived."

"Pini!" Happini is excited at the mention of a princess.

"So the king took Alex into the royal gallery, where the portraits of many beautiful princesses from all over the world hung." Misty continues.

"I bet Alex had a tough decision to make..." Ash muses.

"Alex looked at all the portraits very carefully...." Pikachu giggles as Misty examines a tree by the campsite, as if she is Alex examining a portrait. "He finally saw the portrait of the princess of Azulona--I'll call her Mina--and fell deeply in love with her. So with his mother and father's blessings, he left on a great journey to ask for Princess Mina's hand in marriage."

"And then?" Ash is piqued.

"As Alex traveled on his way, he saw a shining palace on a hill. When he went inside, there was not a person or Pokemon in sight." Misty continues. "But there was a room with some food and a bed, so Alex rested there for the night. "In the morning, he found the palace garden, bursting with exotic flowers he had never seen before. He eventually wandered into the royal stables, where he saw a shining Rapidash."

"Did he try to ride it?" Brock asks.

"He rode it, and no sooner had he told it giddy up, did it go speeding across the plains and hills!" Misty replied. Inspired, Brock plays a series of long glissandi to represent the Rapidash running. "They went through forests, plains, mountains and rivers...and by the time the Rapidash showed the first sign of being tired, Alex was soaked."

Ash snickers as he pictures the drenched prince. "Suddenly, the Rapidash spoke to Alex." Misty continues. "It has been many years since I last bore a great hero...I see you are strong, wise, and brave, and so I will serve you.' Alex made camp for the night, as he and his mount were very tired."

"Pini pini pi hapini?" Happini asked.

"What happened when Alex got to Azulona?" Misty smiles. "He told the king of Azulona that he wanted to take Princess Mina's hand in marriage. The king of Azulona replied that in return for Princess Mina, he would defend Azulona from an enemy army."

"Pika!" Pikachu gasps at this.

"Alex agreed, and the king held a grand feast to celebrate the engagement of Princess Mina." Misty continues. "The enemy armies approached Azulona the next morning, but Alex defeated them and captured the enemy king singlehandedly!"

'Wow!" Ash is impressed.

"With Azulona safe again, preparations were made for the wedding, but Princess Mina brought up an important point--with no minstrels due to arrive for some weeks, how would there be any music at the wedding?" Misty continued. "She told him of the dark immortal Tochisha, and the celestial harp he owned that was said to play itself."

Brock adds a soft chord at the mention of the titular instrument. "So Alex set out for the darklands, and came to a cottage where a great mage lived. He asked Alex what he was doing there, and when Alex told the mage of his quest for the Celestial Harp, he told him..."

Brock decides to fill in the mage's dialogue as he plays the Ballad of the Goddess. "When you travel to the darklands, arrive at noon. Nearby Tochisha's palace is a great garden, and in that garden, a captured princess walks. She will be glad to see you and help you on your quest, as it has been six years she has been held as Tochisha's slave. Ask for her aid, and she will guide you to the Celestial Harp."

"This is getting good...then what happened?" Ash wonders.

"Alex thanked the mage for his aid, and went on his way." Misty replies. "When he got to Tochisha's domain at noon, he heard the Celestial Harp playing a relaxing melody..."

Brock takes that opportunity to play his version of "Arran's Lullaby" for effect. "Alex then remembered his quest, and entered the royal garden, where he saw the captured princess--who I'll call Chloe." Misty explains as the last note of "Arran's Lullaby" echoes into the starry sky. "Princess Chloe was understandably scared of Alex at first, but when Alex told her of his quest, she trusted him. She told him to wait in the garden, went into the throne room, and began flattering Tochisha." In character as Chloe, she asks "My lord, is it true you will never die?"

"It is true." Brock replies in character as Tochisha over an ominous chord.

"Then where is your soul?" Misty asks as Chloe. "Is it here?"

"It is under the broom by the door." Brock replies as Tochisha.

"So Chloe tossed the broom in the fireplace, but Tochisha still lived." Misty continues as herself. "Princess Chloe pressed Tochisha further on the location of his soul, and when he finally relented, he told her..."

Brock fills in Tochisha's dialogue. "In a certain field stands three trees. Under the largest tree lives a Wurmple--and when it dies, I will die too."

"So Princess Chloe told Alex what she had learned, and Alex went out to the field with three trees and found the Wurmple, but when he killed it, Tochisha still lived." Misty continues.

"You put that part in there because you hate bugs..." Ash smugly muses.

Misty just ignores Ash's comment. "By now, Alex suspected Tochisha was hiding something, and told Chloe to really press him on where his soul was. Chloe spent several hours pressing Tochisha on his soul's location, but when he finally relented, he told her..."

Let's see how well Misty can remember a list of items! Brock thinks before filling in Tochisha's dialogue. "On a certain island grows a certain tree. Beneath the tree is a treasure chest--if you open it, you will find a basket inside. Attempt to take this basket and a Buneary will appear--when you kill it, a Pidove will appear. Follow it to its nest and take the egg inside, and inside that egg is my soul."

"Wait--this sounds like 'The Giant's Captive'!" Ash gasps, excited. "Is there any singing in this story?"

"Nope, not this time." Misty nervously stammers. "I can assure you this is different." There's no way I can remember all of that!

She sighs. Here goes nothing... "Alex set out for the island, where he found the tree..." She takes a deep breath and begins rattling off the list. "and he found the chest beneath it. He opened it and found a basket inside, but when he tried to take it, a Buneary jumped out. Alex killed it with a well placed arrow, and Pidove flew from the Buneary's body into the sky. Alex followed it to its next, took the egg inside, and smashed it on the ground--killing Tochisha."

Ash applauds and Brock plays a triumphant chord, pleased that Misty remembered the whole list. "Alex took the Celestial Harp, and took Princess Chloe home." Misty continues. "He then returned to Azulona and his beloved Princess Mina, where they were married the next day. All the wedding guests were amazed at how beautiful the Celestial Harp sounded, and it played many airs and dances for everyone to enjoy."

Brock plays a festive jig for effect as Misty concludes. "Alex returned to his homeland to a hero's welcome, where he lived happily ever after with Princess Mina." Brock finishes the song at this point.

Ash applauds his friends at this. "That was great, Misty! You're not too bad a storyteller..."

"Thanks--it's actually kinda fun--even more so when you have help." Misty replies.

"In fact, I don't know how I'm going to top that..." Ash muses. "Your tale's a tough act to follow!"

(The tale is based on a Russian folktale called "The Self Playing Harp" (available on Google Books)

Senior Moderator

Tale 7: The White Ekans (Ash)

(real tale: The White Snake's Wisdom)

"There was once a king in a far away land that had an odd custom." Ash begins. I hope this can top Misty's performance... "Every night, he would command his servants to bring him a certain covered platter. But before the king lifted off the cover, he sent the servant away."

"Hm..." Misty thinks a moment as to what is on the platter.

"Once night, the platter was left out, and one particular servant--let's call him Aidan--was curious about what was under the cover." Ash explained. "So he took it to a storage room, locked the door, and uncovered it, where he found the meat of a white Ekans!"

"Wait, Ekans can be white?" Misty is bit skeptical.

"I've heard of green Ekans, but white Ekans?" Brock is just as confused.

"Pikachupi! Pipika! Pika pikachu pika Pikapi pika pika chu, pi pika pika.' Pikachu explains.

"You're right, Pikachu..." Misty sighs. "It is just a story..."

"And anything can happen." Brock agrees, a smile forming on his face. "Including a white Ekans."

Pikachu motions for Ash to continue. "Pika pika?"

"Yeah, what happened when Aidan ate a little of the white Ekans?" Misty asks, albeit slightly disgusted at the idea of eating Ekans.

"He discovered he could understand the language of Pokemon, just like his lord the king." Ash replies. "One day, the king called him into the throne room, and told him the queen's favorite ring was missing. Aidan, however, was the prime suspect, as he was the only one allowed to look at the queen's jewels. If he couldn't find the real thief by the next day, he would die in their place."

Misty gasps, but Brock gently reminds Ash "You're rushing again...."

"Aidan left the throne room in despair--he had no clue who took the queen's ring, and the executioner would have to kill an innocent man." Ash continues, making sure to be careful not to speak too fast. "But suddenly, as he passed by the Ducklett pond in the royal garden, he overheard one Ducklett say it had swallowed the ring by mistake!"

The Pokemon heave a sigh of relief. "So Aidan brought the Ducklett to the royal cook, and she was preparing it for that night's dinner, there was the ring." Ash continues. "The king offered Aidan anything he wanted as a sign of his forgiveness."

"Did Aidan ask for the princess' hand in marriage?" Misty guesses what will happen next.

"Nope--he told the king his one wish was to see the world." Ash replies. "So the king gave him a Rapidash and some gold, and wished him well on his journeys."

"So, where did Aidan go on his trip around the world?" Now Brock is curious.

"He went to quite a few exotic lands, but no matter where he went, he helped the Pokemon." Ash explained. 'When he saw some Finneon gasping for breath in the reeds, he set them free in a river. When he heard the queen Durant complaining how the humans crushed them, he was careful to avoid the Durant hills on his way. When he stopped to camp for the night, he would give the forest Pokemon a share of his food."

"Pini?" Happini asks. "Pini pini hapi?"

"I'm getting to the princess, okay?" Ash assures Happini before continuing his tale. "Eventually, Aidan came to another land, where the king was seeking a husband for his daughter--who I'll call Sophia."

"Pini!" Happini is thrilled at the princess' chosen name.

Misty giggles. "Happini sure loves her princesses..."

"She likes minstrels too..." Brock replies. "Almost as much as princesses."

"The king didn't want Princess Sophia to go to just any old prince, so he gave her would be suitors an impossible task--and if they succeeded, they would have Princess Sophia's hand in marriage." Ash explains. "So far, every man that had tried had failed."

Pikachu swallows hard, fearful for Aidan. "So Aidan told the king he wished to seek Princess Sophia's hand in marriage." Ash continues. "The king brought Aidan to a beach, and told him that Princess Sophia's favorite ring had fallen in the water. If he could find it, Sophia was his."

"Azu azu?" Azurill asked.

"As Aidan wondered where the ring was, the Finneons he had rescued brought him an ornate emerald ring." Ash replied. "Princess Sophia was impressed, but not convinced. She led Aidan to a field, and tossed ten bags of seed into the grass. She told Aidan to pick up every last seed before dawn--or else."

"Or else what?" Misty challenges.

"Or else Aidan would die." Ash shoots back.

Misty grins, pleased at a decent "or else." "Or else" is usually just a cop out, but Ash even fills in what "or else" is!

"Aidan did what he could, but soon fell asleep." Ash continues. "But when he woke the next day, he found ten bags of seed--the Durants had gathered the seeds while he slept. It was enough to convince Princess Sophia that Aidan loved her. They married not long after, and they all lived happily ever after."

Happini's applause is the loudest as Ash takes a bow...

Senior Moderator

Tale 8: Undine and the Three Princes (Brock)

(real tale:The Princes And The Water-Sprite)

"Since you did so well telling that adventure tale, Misty, I'm gonna return the favor by teaching you a tale I learned from one of your sisters." Brock begins before playing "Arran's Lullaby" on the harp to focus his thoughts.

When all is quiet, he begins. "There was once a king who had three sons, who he loved very much. The eldest was Prince Altair, after the brightest star the king could see on the night he was born. The middle one was Prince Dolan, after the dark sky on the night he was born. The youngest one was Prince Haru--since he was born in the daytime, unlike his brothers."

Hm...Daisy didn't give the princes names... Misty muses.

"When Prince Haru came of age, the king asked the queen what her most burning desire was, and she replied that she wished to have Prince Haru be the one to succeed his father." Brock continues. The king knew well that the eldest son would inherit the kingdom when he died, as was common in that region. If something were to happen to Prince Altair before then, Prince Dolan would succeed him. If something happened to both princes before then, only then would Prince Haru be able to rule."

Ash swallows hard. "Did the queen try to kill them?"

"The king was very afraid that would happen, Ash." Brock replies. So he told Atair and Dolan that they were to go into hiding for seven years--then they could claim the kingdom that was rightfully theirs."

"Why seven years?" Misty is confused.

"Seven is seen as Arceus' number, and symbolizes perfection." Ash explains as Brock plays a tense interlude.

"When Prince Haru heard why his brothers were leaving, he begged to come with them as a sign of support." Brock continues. "They left early the next morning, and traveled until they came to a lake in the middle of a forest."

Pikachu is the most excited at hearing the Ballad of the Goddess again. "It turned out that the great water spirit Undine lived in the lake." Brock continues over the song. "She would only help those that answered a question for her--what were the good fairies like?"

"And then?" Ash is interested.

"Prince Haru came to the lake, and Undine asked him what the good fairies were like." Brock continues over a playful chord. "but when Prince Haru answered that the good fairies were like the dawn, she took him down beneath the lake. Prince Dolan grew concerned for his little brother after a while, and went to the lake himself. He answered Undine's challenge incorrectly as wall."

"But what about Altair?" Misty asks. "What did he do?"

"He too was worried for his brothers, and went to the lake himself." Brock replies before playing a flowing melody. "Undine met him in disguise as a hunter, but Altair saw right through her disguise."

"Pika pika pi?" Pikachu asks.

"Altair then proceeded to answer Undine's question correctly." Brock concludes over a soft melody. "The good fairies were like those pure of heart, pure of thought, and pure of deed. Undine was touched at Altair's answer, so she set his brothers free, and agreed to protect them for their seven years in exile. When seven years had passed, the three princes inherited their rightful kingdom, but they gave Undine the pool in the royal garden as thanks for her help."

The Pokemon's applause is the loudest as Brock takes a bow...

Senior Moderator

Tale 9: Sorin Saves the Clouds (Misty)

(real tale: Cloud Swallower)

"Okay, Misty--this time try telling a story on your own." Brock suggests.

Misty thinks for a moment. You know, Brock's renditions of Sorin stories are always popular--so I'll try one of those.

She clears her throat and begins. "Now everyone knows Sorin is quite the trickster...."

The Pokemon cheer at this, but the cheers are silenced when Misty tells them "But every once in a while, Sorin will play the hero--did you know he actually helped save the clouds that we see in the sky?"

"Azu?" Azurill is interested.

"You see, a long time ago, on a high mountain far from here, there lived a monster that liked to eat clouds--so the people in the valleys called him Yunshike, the cloud-eater." Misty explained. "The people all agreed Yunshike needed to be stopped, and so they all sent their bravest warriors, archers, and mages to fight him--but not a single one returned."

"Uh oh..." Ash swallows hard.

"With no clouds, there was no rain, and with no rain, plants couldn't grow, and the rivers and lakes began to dry up." Misty continued. "One day, some twin siblings--a boy and a girl--took it upon themselves to outwit Yunshike. The boy was named Celio, and the girl was named Lani."

"Nice..." Brock nods in approval of the twins' names.

"Both Celio and Lani knew that the Pokemon of the world were wise, and decided to ask them what to do." Misty continues. "Sorin spoke up immediately..." In a higher pitched version of herself she exclaims "Yunshike is full of wiles, and so you must be careful!"

As herself, she continues. "The twins listened intently as Sorin told them that Yunshike would pretend to sleep, and capture unsuspecting travelers in his hands when they passed through his legs. What he did next depended on his mood. Sometimes, he ate them, and sometimes, he threw them from a cliff. Either way, the unfortunate traveler met a grisly demise."

"And then?" Ash is interested.

"Sorin then agreed to help the twins, and the next morning, they set out for the mountain where Yunshike lived." Misty continues. "Celio took a sword, and Lani took a bow. They climbed for many hours, but as they neared Yunshike's lair, Sorin went on ahead, telling the twins to wait for him." Misty continues, trying oh-so-hard not to laugh at Pikachu dueling a leaf with a twig.

"So what did Sorin do?" Brock is curious.

"He took some dandelion seeds and some Spinarak thread, wove them into a small cover, and laid it over Yushike's eyes." Misty replies. "The twins arrived some time later and asked Yunshike if they could pass to the mountain summit. Yunshike agreed, and told them to pass through his legs."

Ash grins--the exciting part is coming up!

"But the twins know Yunshike planned to capture them." Misty continues. "So Celio went to the left, and Lani supported him from the right. Yunshike tried to fight back, but with the cover over his eyes, he couldn't see where the twins were, and was quickly defeated. "Sorin and the twins were hailed as heroes, and no one in that land ever forgets the great deed they did."

She smiles at the boys' applause. I'm getting pretty good at this!

Senior Moderator

Tale 10: The Princess and the Shepherd's Flute (Ash)

"Now that Brock's had a turn with an instrument in a tale, I'll feature my own for my next tale." Ash muses before beginning "In a far away land, there lived a princess named Emi..."

"Pini!" Happini cheers in anticipation of a princess tale.

"Princess Emi was renowned for her beauty and wisdom, so much so that she not only attracted thousands of suitors in her homeland, but around the world as well." Ash continues. He stifles a giggle at Brock dreamily visualizing his idea of what Princess Emi looks like.

Misty snaps him back to reality with the Look. "You can daydream later, okay?"

"Okay! I'm listening!" Brock frantically yelps. "Go ahead, Ash."

Ash thinks for a moment as to where he is in his tale, then continues. "Emi was very friendly with those she knew well, but when it came to marriage, not a single one of the many princes, kings, and emperors was good enough for her. This made the king and the queen very frustrated, so one day, after she had refused her umpteenth suitor, they asked her why she kept refusing suitors."

"So why was she refusing all those princes, kings, and emperors?" Misty asks.

"It turned out that Princess Emi was torn between three boys, and worried that if she married one, she would not stop thinking about the other two." Ash replied. "The king proposed that there be a contest, and whoever won it would have Princess Emi's hand in marriage. Princess Emi loved the idea, and word was sent to every man in the land."

"What kind of contest was it?" Brock wonders.

"I'm getting to that." Ash assures his friend. "Meanwhile, not far from the city lived a young shepherd-we'll call him Kenji--who lived with his mom. Every morning, he would take his most cherished possession--a small silver flute..." Ash pauses to take a silver tin whistle with a green mouthpiece from his bag. "and drive his flocks to a valley at the foot of a mountain. Once in the valley, he would keep a watchful eye on the Mareeps from the shade of a tree, playing his flute all the while." He plays a peaceful melody to illustrate his point.

"Bravo!" Misty leads the applause.

Ash acknowledges his applause, then continues. "Kenji's mom told him that his flute was special, because it had been carved from a branch of a sacred tree long ago. He wondered if the legend of the sacred tree was true, and if so, what powers his flute held. But the thought closest to him was falling in love with a lady as wise as she was beautiful." With that, he plays the love song "Ah, Roshin" for effect.

More applause goes up when the song ends. "You still haven't told us what the contest for Princess Emi was." Brock reminds Ash.

"Back at the palace, many suitors listened as the king explained the rules." Ash continued. "He planned to shoot a Leppa Berry with one of Princess Emi's rings inside towards the mountains--and whoever found this Leppa Berry would have Princess Emi's hand in marriage."

"That sounds fair to me." Misty muses.

"So the king made his shot..." Ash pantomimes shooting a bow. "and the ground rumbled with Ponyta hooves as the hundreds of suitors left on their quest. But one by one, they returned empty handed, including the three that Princess Emi favored."

"Pini?" Happini asks.

"Pika pika?" Pikachu agrees.

"In the valley, Kenji watched over his Mareeps, playing his flute all the while." Ash continues. He plays the reel "The Arrow's Flight" for effect, then continues. "He was about to start another song, when suddenly, a Leppa Berry landed at his feet. He presumed the berry was a gift from Celebi or Shaymin as thanks for his music, and decided to have it for a snack. But he bit into something hard--an emerald ring!"

"And then?" Misty is excited.

"Kenji told his mom what had happened, and it wasn't long before word reached the palace as well." Ash concludes. "When Kenji and Emi saw each other for the first time, they fell madly in love. They were married not long after, and Kenji always played the flute for Emi as a sign of his love."

"Pretty clever, Ash!" Misty smiles as she applauds.

"The whistle's a nice touch as well." Brock agrees. Ash just grins and takes a bow...

(The real tale is based on a Persian tale named "The Sacred Flute" (availiable on Google Books))